PDA

View Full Version : TOURISM DOWN IN SOSUA AREA

ROVER
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
48% of hotel workers out of work

posted on: Dec 23 2010 13:54 by The Reporter. Viewed 564 times.

http://s7.addthis.com/static/btn/lg-bookmark-en.gif (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20)
More than five thousand staff have been fired from hotels as a result of low occupancy, and the lowest rate of incoming tourists since the birth of the tourism industry in the country.http://www.dominicancentral.com/displayImage.php?phud=thereporter/JorgeLopez.jpg

In making the disclosure the leader of the hotel workers, Jorge Lopez, president of the Federation of Hotel Employees, said that more than 48 percent of the working age population in this sector is inactive.

"The dismissals have been in Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete," said Lopez, during his appearance on the TV show "All Inclusive" which is broadcast on local cable channel 10.

He said that the figure of five thousand employees dismissed does not include hotel workers who have been suspended from work for 90 days, suspensions which sometimes extend to 180 days, who are also effectively unemployed.

Lopez complained about the little support that Puerto Plata has had since its relaunch by the Ministry of Tourism, whose chief, Francisco Javier Garcia, seems to have dropped the North Coast in a vacuum.

The hotel union leader said many of the dismissed workers in the hotel industry have enrolled as motoconcho taxis. He said the hotel workers do not feel they are represented by the head of Tourism.

Jorge Lopez is demanding that the tourist business makes more effort and that the government attends to the problems on the North Coast.

givengo440
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Thank you Rover for the intel.

Westy
01-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes, thanks, Rover ... this is very interesting. Five thousand hotel-workers given the ax - and that doesn't include people on 90-day (then 180-day) suspension. In circumstances like this, I'd think that any town that gets a large proportion of its income from "tourist money" would be striving to keep the tourists coming in.

And in the midst of this crisis, we have Madam Mayor and her cronies of Sosua, trying to kill the sex-tourist trade; not that I'm saying Sosua wouldn't survive without us, but it still is damn-funny if it weren't such a damn shame.

Maybe circumstances will leave her needing extra money and no option but the street trade; it would be poetic justice, from our viewpoint, eh?

ralphie1
01-09-2011, 09:40 PM
the hotel workers in sosua are union?? possibly at the all inclusives, sure not where we all stay

Jimbo44
01-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I am quite sure some ot the hottie chIcas i have seen in some of the hotels and all inclusives will CUM up with a way to survive soon. maybe just around the beginning of my upcoming trip!!!!

mikelodge
01-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Of course it is down when people are seeing that places like Medellin have chicas offering Full Service for half the price or less with less drama than some of the rats in Sosua it is bound to continue to plummet.

ralphie1
01-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Of course it is down when people are seeing that places like Medellin have chicas offering Full Service for half the price or less with less drama than some of the rats in Sosua it is bound to continue to plummet.
i dont think it is the monger tourism they are talking about. they are counting the AI crowd.

you really think the mongers have dropped off that much?

WSJ3_Sith_Lord
01-10-2011, 06:43 AM
You are correct.

Mongers don't count in the overall tourism. They are referring to the AI percentages...mongers don't usually frequent and AI.

i dont think it is the monger tourism they are talking about. they are counting the AI crowd.

you really think the mongers have dropped off that much?

princepointe
01-10-2011, 07:21 AM
In other news the sun is hot. lol

sopranostingray
01-10-2011, 07:27 AM
You guys that keep complaining about Sosua are missing some great times at the moment. Sucks to be you.

Jimmydr
01-10-2011, 09:34 AM
13,000,000 American are out of work, many full time jobs will be on a temporary basis. That concerns me more than the unemployment rate in DR.

Hoseman
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM

you really think the mongers have dropped off that much?It has according to the people on the Streets.

princepointe
01-10-2011, 11:42 AM
It has according to the people on the Streets.

I think this would be a given. Many of us are business men and occupationally independent. The economy turns and so does our expendable income. Especially those who are investors or laid off at 19 years. Even those that went from two income to one income households.

ralphie1
01-10-2011, 11:45 AM
It has according to the people on the Streets.
i am sure the monger trade has tapered off. i dont think it has ran lock step % wise with the AI's though. not even close.

tarrantino
01-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I am in Sosua now. It is a bit different. People who live here seem to welcome the changes but still want the chicas and the mongers. They just want it to be a little more controlled. There are TONS of chicas in town. There seems to be a lot of people at the beach. I don't have any numbers, but the town seems to have more activity than last year or the year before. Classico's is jammin'. I can't imagine walking out of there empty handed from a lack of talent.

el toro
01-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the update. I was there at the end of September and some misc. hustlers were saying their business was down a bit and asking questions like was the flight full on the way down.

So to me it's cool if things are a little slower as long as the chicas are still plentiful as they were when I was there last.

I am in Sosua now. There are TONS of chicas in town. Classico's is jammin'. I can't imagine walking out of there empty handed from a lack of talent.

Jimbo44
01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I am in Sosua now. It is a bit different. People who live here seem to welcome the changes but still want the chicas and the mongers. They just want it to be a little more controlled. There are TONS of chicas in town. There seems to be a lot of people at the beach. I don't have any numbers, but the town seems to have more activity than last year or the year before. Classico's is jammin'. I can't imagine walking out of there empty handed from a lack of talent.

Thanx for your current update....I will look forward to writing my own in a few more weeks!!!:rolleyes:

Sidney
01-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanx for your current update....I will look forward to writing my own in a few more weeks!!!:rolleyes:
You may be influenced by Dominican activities during the 4-day weekend, ending today. The Monger and chica count is much lower!