PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Santo Domingo (23-27 Jan)

Davila1019
01-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Any advise for a first-timer going himself?

BigLongBeach
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Welcome, do some searches. There is lots of good information to be read.....

here are some basics:
you gotta know some spanish
Stay in gazcue, or calle conde/zona colonial
change money in western union or a bank
talk to women
read the trip reports to see the names of the Casa's and the going rates

I recommend reading some of the trip reports, asking questions in them, or posting some of those specific questions in this thread. good luck and the capital will be fun

Davila1019
01-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Welcome, do some searches. There is lots of good information to be read.....

here are some basics:
you gotta know some spanish
Stay in gazcue, or calle conde/zona colonial
change money in western union or a bank
talk to women
read the trip reports to see the names of the Casa's and the going rates

I recommend reading some of the trip reports, asking questions in them, or posting some of those specific questions in this thread. good luck and the capital will be fun

How much money should I bring with me...should I bring travelers checks?

Thanks in advance...

Mr Hillbilly
01-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I was there this week stayed 2 days at La Roma Hotel. It was OK but I wouldn't stay there again.

I'd try it down where the legends stay near Raizor Hotel.

Don't get me wrong there were plenty of chics cruising El Conde looking for guys but they weren't good looking enough for me.

BigLongBeach
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks in advance...

To be honest i have never used travelers checks because i have credit cards. Most restaurants, and hotels will take credit, but they add in taxes if you do pay w/a credit card.

I really cant say how much money to bring with you. I believe each persons budget is their business. I feel comfortable traveling with relative large amounts of money, and using the hotel safe. i rarely have the need to leave the hotel w/more than $100us/3500peso. I tip the staff when i get there to make sure they arent hungry, curious, and feel the need to make a mistake. If you plan on ordering take out from one of the casas make sure you adjust how much you are carrying.

if you dont feel comfortable with large amounts of money make sure you call your banks, and credit companies to let them know you are traveling. If you stay in gazcue you can pick up money at the ATMs in the supermarket la cadena, or the jaragua hotel. If ever need to hit a ATM late night i go to the jaragua.

Davila1019
01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
I've extended my stay until the weekend, so where do you recommend I visit outside of Santo Domingo and what's the best way to get around?

BigLongBeach
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
You never really mentioned your intentions for the trip, so its hard to give you good advice. I know what i like to do but since we dont know much about you we wont be able to give you good advice.

do you just want to sit around and drink all day?
are you just planning on hooking up with as many chics as possible?
do you want to do tourist attractions in santo domingo?
do you want to lay around the beach and drink beers?
do you speak spanish?

Tell us a bit about your self and what you want to do in Santo Domingo. It is a capital city not a small resort, or fishing town like sosua so there are different things to do

TONYTNT40
01-16-2011, 11:32 PM

Thanks in advance...

I wouldnt bring travelers checks, unless getting a good exchange rate isnt important to you . Cash or ATM will give you the best rate.

Davila1019
01-17-2011, 09:26 AM
You never really mentioned your intentions for the trip, so its hard to give you good advice. I know what i like to do but since we dont know much about you we wont be able to give you good advice.

do you just want to sit around and drink all day?
are you just planning on hooking up with as many chics as possible?
do you want to do tourist attractions in santo domingo?
do you want to lay around the beach and drink beers?
do you speak spanish?

Tell us a bit about your self and what you want to do in Santo Domingo. It is a capital city not a small resort, or fishing town like sosua so there are different things to do

A little of all of that I guess. I mean I want to drink a little during the day hook up with chics during the night. Take pictures of the local sights and yes I speak some spanish.

Thanks!