PDA

View Full Version : The American-Dominican senator

NewsWhore
09-05-2006, 06:10 PM
In a contribution to yesterday's Hoy newspaper, news commentator and former judge Carmen Imbert Brugal wrote about the curious case of new San Pedro de Macoris province senator, Alejandro Williams. Apparently, when traveling through Las Americas International Airport on his way to New York recently, the senator refused to go through the X-ray machine, saying that he was a senator. "I am going to go wherever I feel like" ("voy a pasar por donde me venga en gana"), he told the astonished migration employee, according to Carmen Imbert.
She points out that this is a "multicultural senator" we are dealing with, and goes on to mention another interesting anecdote. On another occasion, in the same Migration Department, Williams was asked to present his ID and voting card (cedula). His shares a name with another person who is banned from leaving the country, and the Migration inspector wanted to confirm identities. The senator promptly told the inspector that he did not have the document. Imbert explains that he told the inspector that he does not need such a document because he is a US citizen.
But, she reports, his confession complicates matters. "The Dominican authorities could have a serious problem with the US government if they harass one of their citizens," she says. But then she remembers that to be elected senator, one has to be Dominican. "We presume that senator Williams is, then why doesn't he have a cedula?" she asks. She wonders how he was able to register his candidacy? How did he vote? Does he pay taxes? What is his status here? "What document does he have in order to do what he feels like?" she wonders.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#11)