PDA

View Full Version : 17% Fewer Tourists Visit North Coast

FritoBandito
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I think you can blame the drop in tourism on the economy (everywhere) and, regarding less Europeans, you can blame that on the aforementioned reason and also the devaluation of the Euro....

With rising fuel prices in 2011, airfare is going to go up, which will also keep people at home if airfare is too much...

In 2010, 17% fewer tourists at the North Coast (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/index.php?id=2481&article=1)

Last year was not exactly flourishing for the North Coast. The number of travellers who passed through the airport of Puerto Plata has fallen by 16%. The number of tourists has decreased in 2010 to 16.75%. The smaller hotels in Sosúa are now occupied relatively well, but the larger hotels and resorts like the Hotel Piergiorgio, Hotel Sosúa by the Sea, Hotel Sosúa Bay and Casa Marina are still suffering from the declining interest in a holiday in Sosúa (Cabarete and Playa Dorada). There are several reasons that have caused the decline.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/news_pictures/2011/02/02-01_tourism.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/news_pictures/2011/02/02-01_tourism.jpg) Sosúa Beach

Entrepreneurs from resorts in Playa Dorada blame it to the central government's indifference towards the problems of the North Coast. However, large investment are made in Samaná and Punta Cana, promises for the north coast have not yet been fulfilled. The promise to construct a port terminal in Puerto Plata for cruise ships, has still not been complied.
But the entrepreneurs in Playa Dorada, Sosúa and Cabarete are also to blame. They do not work together and do not organize themselves to be able to put pressure on the government. Every business man is concerned only with his own business and hopes that someone else will solve the problems for him. Why, for example, the main street in Sosúa, Pedro Clisante, in the evening is still not closed for traffic, is a mystery. A well-organized team of entrepreneurs should have arranged this long ago. Hopefully, the recently established association for the development of Sosúa (ADSSosua) can change something.
Source: Puerto Plata Habla

terrierist
02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
But at the same time the North Coast received 17% fewer visitors, visitors to the Dominican Republic increased by 3.31% (according to DominicanToday). So obviously this is a local phenomenon causing the North Coast to be less travelled, and the drop is not due to a global tourism problem.

WSJ3_Sith_Lord
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
But at the same time the North Coast received 17% fewer visitors, visitors to the Dominican Republic increased by 3.31% (according to DominicanToday). So obviously this is a local phenomenon causing the North Coast to be less travelled, and the drop is not due to a global tourism problem.

True the Dominican today article on January 22 2011 states a 5% increase in tourism:

Santo Domingo.– More than 23 million tourists visited the Caribbean in 2010, a nearly 5 percent increase from the 22.1 million that visited the previous year, according to the Caribbean Tourism Organization.

However numbers are cooked all the time (look at the Banks in the USA) and I am sure that the government (as corrupt as it is) isn't above skewing numbers to increase tourism for the island.

I will give you hard facts...I noticed prices for food phone cards and other services rising.

Not a business strategy a prudent leader would use to increase traffic.

shredder
02-04-2011, 03:28 AM
True the Dominican today article on January 22 2011 states a 5% increase in tourism:

Santo Domingo.– More than 23 million tourists visited the Caribbean in 2010, a nearly 5 percent increase from the 22.1 million that visited the previous year, according to the Caribbean Tourism Organization.

However numbers are cooked all the time (look at the Banks in the USA) and I am sure that the government (as corrupt as it is) isn't above skewing numbers to increase tourism for the island.

I will give you hard facts...I noticed prices for food phone cards and other services rising.

Not a business strategy a prudent leader would use to increase traffic.

I heard the same thing from a Dominican girl. She is your average mom buying food at the neighborhood colmado and she said food prices have gone up a lot recently.

Here in the US I've heard investment analysts claim that commodity and food prices are going up all over the world...now I've heard confirmation.

Pacoloco
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I blame some of it on the airlines cutting back the # of flights to POP.

Nakom
02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
I blame some of it on the airlines cutting back the # of flights to POP.

The flights are cut back because the bookings are down - not the other way around. Airlines don't cut flights full of passengers - or even full enough to be profitable.

WickedWillie
02-04-2011, 02:00 PM
The flights are cut back because the bookings are down - not the other way around. Airlines don't cut flights full of passengers - or even full enough to be profitable.

Airlines also factor in other operating costs such as landing fees.

I understand that POP has significantly higher fees than say Punta Cana or even STI.

So even if flights are full it still may not be a profitable route for the carrier.

Nakom
02-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Airlines also factor in other operating costs such as landing fees.

I understand that POP has significantly higher fees than say Punta Cana or even STI.

So even if flights are full it still may not be a profitable route for the carrier.

All full flights are profitable flights - they adjust the prices accordingly to ensure that they are. Major airlines know what they are doing.

WickedWillie
02-04-2011, 02:16 PM
All full flights are profitable flights - they adjust the prices accordingly to ensure that they are. Major airlines know what they are doing.

Is that why so many go bust?

Mr Hillbilly
02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I've said it before I would stay in Playa Dorada but it is like Prison .. your buddies can't visit.. no chics unlesss she is your novia.. the Hotel Prices are staggering... I ain't tooth fairy hell will freeze over before I will pay150 plus a night.. but I know damn well dominicans only pay like 50 bucks for same damn room...

That and depending on your location flying into POP costs twice as much as Santiago or SDQ I thinks its why some people are begining to spread out for those who haven't noticed......Bangkok stay out of SDQ:rofl::rofl:

Sidney
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
They ain't busted now. There has been incredible appreciation in the stocks!

Mr Hillbilly
02-04-2011, 03:10 PM

The news said record profits this last few quarters for airlines.. they cut bad routes and raised prices but it varies which airline has made most which hasn't......

Passport Playa
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
That and depending on your location flying into POP costs twice as much as Santiago or SDQ I thinks its why some people are begining to spread out for those who haven't noticed......Bangkok stay out of SDQ:rofl::rofl:

8:

SDQ was where it all began for me. I only started going up to "The Su" after reading about it and wanting to see what the hoopla was all about. If it wasn't for the villas and the relatively cheap massages (Kika's & M&M), I probably wouldn't go back.

Yes I would because I have something sweet in Montellano.

Bangkok

Mr Hillbilly
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
8:

SDQ was where it all began for me. I only started going up to "The Su" after reading about it and wanting to see what the hoopla was all about. If it wasn't for the villas and the relatively cheap massages (Kika's & M&M), I probably wouldn't go back.

Yes I would because I have something sweet in Montellano.

Bangkok

I am just looking for a spot that suits me... I think Me and Dominican Billy are heading to LaRamana next DR trip he knows someone who lives there...:wink:

fishhunter
02-24-2011, 10:24 PM
I dunno I fly to POP from Vermont for $459 that seem like a deal.