PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette FAQ

Don Tomas
05-01-2004, 04:49 PM
This is geared towards the Marlboro brand which is what I smoke. If you smoke non-menthol you may wish to switch for your trip. I didn't try any menthol flavors. Marlboro packs come in two sizes, 10 pack and normal 20 packs, all prices are for the normal 20 size.

April '04 (Exchange rate 43-1)
Cost in the duty free shop was about $17US per carton.
Prices I found in the DR:
National Superchain Grocery Store: Carton = 360RD/$8.37US
Super Super in Sosua: Carton = 299RD/$6.95US
Bars in Sosua (High Caribe, Pluto's): Pack = 50RD/$1.16US
Small shops along the road: Pack = 34RD/$.79US

Personally I prefer the DR Marlboro over the US Marlboro flavor. Also I was told (not confirmed) that the same family who owns the Presidente company also owns the naming rights to Marlboro cigarettes.

the_Jayman
05-01-2004, 09:45 PM
March 2004 – all prices based on a 20 cig pack .

I'm a chain smoker, so let me give ya a couple of cents worth of what I found.

I also never smoke menthol.

1 carton (10 packs) costs me $60.00 US in Jersey. I smoke a not all that popular brand called True Blue Kings. If I’m in a bar and I run out and can’t get “my brand,” I will first buy Parliaments and then Marlboro Lights. (very similar)

I knew the price going in (do your homework guys) so I brought a half a pack with me.

The duty free in Newark NJ airport was $23.00 per carton. (10 Packs – American tobacco) They had all the biggies; Marlboro, Parliament, Newport etc.

In Sosua I could only find Marlboro Lights and they where 299 DR Pesos per carton. (about 6 or 7 bucks). Or 50 Pesos in a bar. HUGE SAVINGS ! !

The Dominican tobacco (IMHO) is substantially stronger (and rougher) then the American version of the same brand.

Next time I will probably buy the Parliaments at the duty free in Newark because they are a lot “smoother” then the Dominican tobacco.

At the same time I can fund my plane ticket down just by buying cigs there.

You can bring 200 cigs (1 carton) back to the US duty free. (Although if I had 20 cartons in my carry-on I’d of made it, cause no one in Jersey checked)

Don Tomas
05-02-2004, 12:52 AM
The Dominican tobacco (IMHO) is substantially stronger (and rougher) then the American version of the same brand.

Funny thing actually I preferred the Dominican Marlboro Reds over the US ones because I felt they were a lot smoother.

the_Jayman
05-06-2004, 04:42 PM
That is funny.

Kinda like the "Black Beards vs. Palace" threads or the "she's a babe but he thinks she's a pig" thread you see so often.

One man's trash is another man's treasure