PDA

View Full Version : Pedro McMurphys Is Reopening Soon

FritoBandito
02-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Saw in another chatroom that it will be reopening very shortly....if they keep it an Irish pub, I'll be there for St. Pat's Day with all my leprechaun bling, bling..........:D:D

I'll probably head out to Jose O'Shays in Cabarete, too, earlier that day.

gdogg
02-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Saw in another chatroom that it will be reopening very shortly....if they keep it an Irish pub, I'll be there for St. Pat's Day with all my leprechaun bling, bling..........:D:D

Jose O'Shays is probably your best option for March 17th. At least you know IT will be open.

FritoBandito
02-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Jose O'Shays is probably your best option for March 17th. At least you know IT will be open.

I been to Jose's for St. Pat's Day for the last two years. Last year, they jacked the price of beer way up....150 pesos for a DRAFT beer....I think Presidente bottled beer was 200 pesos.....

I just walked next door and got a Presidente bottle for 80 pesos...

Yeah, I know it costs them money to put the event on, but if they are going to charge more than 100 pesos for a beer, I'll get mine from next door!!!!!!!

gdogg
02-25-2011, 01:27 AM
That's ridiculous! But I guess a lot of folks are paying it.

Mr. Smooth
02-25-2011, 05:45 AM
I really hope that the new owners can make a successful run with Pedro's. With all the crap thats been happening lately in that town, a decent bar in that location providing some jobs to the locals while offering good food and drink to customers at a reasonable price is just what Sosua can use.

In light of the apparent demise of the Shark Bar, reopening Pedro's would be a welcome addition to the gringos and another choice spot to hang out.

But....they have to have some sexy young chicas working in there to bring in the crowds. No guys, even though Ted is a good dude, and no geriatric bartenders with arm flab. Get the chicas to work the bar and the business should pick up.

adios
02-25-2011, 07:00 AM
I liked that place. Happy to see they reopen!

WickedWillie
02-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Not soon but opened this week.

Sidney
02-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Avoid this overpriced joint! Try Kahuna nearby.:biggrin:

jose1234
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
I know the guys at O'shay's in cabarete and they are good guys. I like Kahuna because they understand and play classic rock and has that older American/Canadian classic bar feel... There is a small bar next to there or it could be Bamboo...really small that I'm told sells drinks much cheaper than anyone else... In my hazy memory it only has about six bar chairs and is almost open right on the beach...but in line with the other bars...

jcrew2020
02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
It is called la Casita. It is located between Bambu bar and Onno's bar. You are right, they have the cheapest drinks. You can buy your drink there and then walk to the other bars.

WickedWillie
02-25-2011, 10:50 AM
It is called la Casita. It is located between Bambu bar and Onno's bar. You are right, they have the cheapest drinks. You can buy your drink there and then walk to the other bars.

Certainly the drinks were cheaper a few years ago but what drinks are cheaper now?

You can certainly buy your drinks there and walk to the other bars if you stand outside, but security at Bambu and Onno's will not let you in if they feel you have purchased your drink elsewhere.

Hell if you're going to look for cheaper drinks why not go the whole 9 yards and walk across the street and buy a grande for 55 pesos from the internet cafe.

shredder
02-25-2011, 11:44 AM
What happened to the Shark Bar?

FritoBandito
02-25-2011, 12:34 PM

The Blue Bar, up near the Hexen Kessel, will sell you a HUGE cuba libre, in a plastic cup to go, for less than 80 pesos (I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 60 pesos ---and they are STRONG drinks, too....) :wink:

jcrew2020
02-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Hell if you're going to look for cheaper drinks why not go the whole 9 yards and walk across the street and buy a grande for 55 pesos from the internet cafe.

Because the have tables and chairs and you can sit on the beach.

gdogg
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Avoid this overpriced joint! Try Kahuna nearby.:biggrin:

It's definitely overpriced, but will Kahuna's St. Patty's Day party be any good?

JPP902
04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Shark Bar has been closed every time I have been by there

TC
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM

I lost my conversion chart. What is "very shortly" in Domincan time?

gdogg
04-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I lost my conversion chart. What is "very shortly" in Domincan time?

Anywhere from 6 months to never!
:lol:

TNT72
04-07-2011, 04:40 PM
It's open. They had a spit going the first week I was there on Mar 15th. It was gone the second week. I don't think I ever seen more than 2 people in there at a time.

Can't see how it's make it long.

Nakom
04-07-2011, 06:11 PM
One night in a drunken stupor Robert123765 said to me "the only two Irish guys in town are you and Pedro McMurphy".

Maybe you had to be there..... :)

sonrisa
04-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I always liked Pedro McMurphy's. My food was always good. Restaurants always depend on the ownership and management, so I hope they bring clients in more with good food and prices even more than sexy waitresses . . . though a little eye candy makes for good appetizers and desserts. If they are open when I am there in May, I'll try it again.

sonrisa
04-07-2011, 06:26 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/928249addc5fb55f8.jpg

Here's a photo from a few years ago. I think all these places in Sosua that open and close and open and close and open and close . . . should have truth in advertising. After each resurrection, they need to add a Roman numeral. The first time it should be known as Pedro McMurphy's, then Pedro McMurphy's II, then Pedro McMurphy's III, and now, if I am counting correctly, Pedro McMurphy's IV.

gdogg
04-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I always liked Pedro McMurphy's. My food was always good. Restaurants always depend on the ownership and management, so I hope they bring clients in more with good food and prices even more than sexy waitresses . . . though a little eye candy makes for good appetizers and desserts. If they are open when I am there in May, I'll try it again.

That's when it was at it's best...when they did all of that. Good food, specials (100 peso wings and double drinks), and fine waitresses!!! I was there almost every day!

adios
04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
It is still open. I never saw anyone in there on my entire trip. No cute waitress or that old gringa. Just a dude, the owner perhaps. It wasn't very welcoming, so I didn't enter. I liked the old style much more.

onetosix
04-21-2011, 06:47 AM
It is still open. I never saw anyone in there on my entire trip. No cute waitress or that old gringa. Just a dude, the owner perhaps. It wasn't very welcoming, so I didn't enter. I liked the old style much more.

Is Pedro McFailure still open as "Chero's"(sp?)? I have been of town for over a month now and was wondering how that place was doing since it opened in February of this year before I left. I said to Robert13212 once right when they were opening and we were walking by there that I would give them one to three months staying open before it went dark again. I stoped in several times after they opened(supposedly) to look at their menu as I'm always game for trying a new resturant...every time I stoped by for two weeks after opening they kept saying that they had no menu yet....were waiting for the printer..."they'll be here tomorrow". How many of you have heard that phrase before in the DR? Let me know when they close so we can start watching for the next sucker to come along with his marvellous business plan to strike it rich in Sosua. Damn....am I cynical or what?

MrHappy
04-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Is Pedro McFailure still open as "Chero's"(sp?)? I have been of town for over a month now and was wondering how that place was doing since it opened in February of this year before I left. I said to Robert13212 once right when they were opening and we were walking by there that I would give them one to three months staying open before it went dark again. I stoped in several times after they opened(supposedly) to look at their menu as I'm always game for trying a new resturant...every time I stoped by for two weeks after opening they kept saying that they had no menu yet....were waiting for the printer..."they'll be here tomorrow". How many of you have heard that phrase before in the DR? Let me know when they close so we can start watching for the next sucker to come along with his marvellous business plan to strike it rich in Sosua. Damn....am I cynical or what?

I marvel at folks like that.

When Blackbeards restaurant opened, I sat down and did a menu from start to finish in about 2 hours. I ran off 15 or so, and we we're in business.

I ended up changing it almost daily (and printing 15 or so new ones again) for the next couple of months..

Gotta love the determination of a person that goes with a printer from day 1.

onetosix
04-21-2011, 07:46 AM
I marvel at folks like that.

When Blackbeards restaurant opened, I sat down and did a menu from start to finish in about 2 hours. I ran off 15 or so, and we we're in business.

I ended up changing it almost daily (and printing 15 or so new ones again) for the next couple of months..

Gotta love the determination of a person that goes with a printer from day 1.

And BB is still in business.....it is possible to succeed in business in the DR as you are another example yourself. I think though that Jimmy is right when he says that probably 98% fail. A great book was written by Michael Gerber called "The E-Myth:Why Most Small Businesses Don't Succeed" in the book he claims that (in America) 95% of all new businesses that open fail within just a few years...in the DR I'm sure it is even higher. Every small business entrepeneur should read this book before starting a business....it has become a must read classic in just a few years and I believe is still on the NYT bestseller list of business books. I love it when a new business succeeds and does well, but few have a clue what is involved in making a business successful and how to go about it.

balcoach
04-21-2011, 08:18 AM

I usually walk by at least once per day and have NEVER seen one customer there. Just some guy sitting at a front table smoking. might be the owner.

That place needs something different, a plan, and a new lease. In my searches about various probable bar locations, I received the existing lease from a real estate agent. It was $17,000 USD annually, paid up front!!!!! NO THANK YOU>

gdogg
04-21-2011, 09:10 AM
And BB is still in business.....it is possible to succeed in business in the DR as you are another example yourself. I think though that Jimmy is right when he says that probably 98% fail. A great book was written by Michael Gerber called "The E-Myth:Why Most Small Businesses Don't Succeed" in the book he claims that (in America) 95% of all new businesses that open fail within just a few years...in the DR I'm sure it is even higher. Every small business entrepeneur should read this book before starting a business....it has become a must read classic in just a few years and I believe is still on the NYT bestseller list of business books. I love it when a new business succeeds and does well, but few have a clue what is involved in making a business successful and how to go about it.

I have that (and his follow-up) on audio books. One day I'm gonna listen to it all. First couple chapters were great.

onetosix
04-21-2011, 03:15 PM
I have that (and his follow-up) on audio books. One day I'm gonna listen to it all. First couple chapters were great.

Happy to see that someone recognized the book and commented about it. Yes, there is a sequel to the first one called "The E-Myth Revisited" and is excellent too. I read the books rather than using the audios, but the audios make it easier to listen in the car or location where one cannot read a book.

ElPlomero
04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
You see people starting businesses all the time based on two very common but incorrect assumptions.

The first is... If you love doing something, open a business. The work will be enjoyable and that's most of the fight.

The second is... If someone can do a trade, they operate a business doing it.

Both are very wrong.

If you loved it before... try doing it for money when there is a deadline and the money you spend doing it matters.

And... just because you can hammer a nail or turn a wrench, that doesn't mean you can manage people and/or clients.

Again, keeping costs under control and developing proper pricing can be all but impossible for those who are not business inclined.

In my experience, the people that start and keep their businesses running are those who either are more business minded than work minded, or have been taught well, as in being part of a family owned business.

Buisiness people who run the business and hire others to do the work seem to have an easier time.

2 cents.

Gutter Meat
05-01-2011, 01:31 AM
So is it open now or not ? Anyone ???

Gutter Meat
05-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Anyone have an update ?

WickedWillie
05-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Pedro Mcfailure does not exist anymore. So NO it is not open.

The new business in Pedro's location, Cheros, is open.

Jimmydr
05-04-2011, 08:53 AM

It failed? I am shocked? Ted was in charge, wow!

Gutter Meat
05-04-2011, 08:59 AM

"Cheros"........ Is it a bar or restaurant ??? Thanks for the info.

Irie
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
"Cheros"........ Is it a bar or restaurant ??? Thanks for the info.

It is both but I did not eat there. A couple of drinks and some bs drama/ psycho crap. The owner seemed like an okay guy, but there was never anyone there.

Gutter Meat
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Unless they do something special, like get some girls working in there , happy hour specials after the beech, the place may not even last till Monday so I can see it. To think that someone is going to open the place up and do the same old thing and think it's going to succeed is going to be in for a rude awaking.

drescape
05-09-2011, 06:06 PM
I was in town February into the first week of March. Yes it is opened by two brothers who are Turkish decent from German. They painted the place and cleaned it up. They sevre Doner Turkish or by the greek name gyros. It was best I have had sinse I left Germany 20 years ago. Enjoy!

JD426
05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I was in town February into the first week of March. Yes it is opened by two brothers who are Turkish decent from German. They painted the place and cleaned it up. They sevre Doner Turkish or by the greek name gyros. It was best I have had sinse I left Germany 20 years ago. Enjoy!

I will say one thing about the Turks. They know how to run a small business. Anyone who has lived in or been to Germany, and watched them open a small place, like say a Produce store, Restaurant, or what have you, will know what Im talking about.
The Whole family gets involved, they have a Plan, and they are willing to work 16 hours a day. They always look busy,they will have a niche product or dish they have perfected (like perhaps the Gyro style sandwich you mentioned, or marinated Kabobs ) , they know how to put loss leaders out there to draw the initial crowd, etc. They are naturals at owning & running a small businesses like a bar or restaurant & dealing with the pullic.
In Turkey at the Black sea Resorts for example, when you come to Drink & spend money in their place, they will make sure they feed you too, even if its just small trays of appetizers. They wont let you leave hungry. Its as if you pay for drinks and the food is Free over there, or so I hear from all my cousins . They know how to make people smile & leave happy.
I would definitely check it out if they bring that Turkish Cuisine in there.. Im telling you those people can COOK.... So Im hoping they turn it primarily into a Restaurant with the Bar Secondary.. It would be a great hangout then, esp for a snack and a beer. A Nice Lamb kebob, on flat bread, Im there. The Germas are already there, and very familiar with their food, the Americans and Canadians would soon follow. If this is their plan, they will make it.. Im confident the place will be packed.

sopranostingray
05-09-2011, 11:29 PM
It's been closed for the last 2 days. I think it's toast once again.