PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle renting

babyboy06
09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
I see alot of scooters for rent but are there any good motorcycles (dirt bike or enduro's) that can be rented.
I checked with the Valdomir(sp?) hotel but they only rent the scooters. (used to have dirt bikes)
Anyone ever rent a motorbike and cruise abit of Sosua or ouside of town?..Take a drive to Porta Plata for example..
Recomended?...not recommended? Tips or decent trails?
Thanks, trying to shake things up abit for a week in Oct.

Jimmydr
09-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I see alot of scooters for rent but are there any good motorcycles (dirt bike or enduro's) that can be rented.
I checked with the Valdomir(sp?) hotel but they only rent the scooters. (used to have dirt bikes)
Anyone ever rent a motorbike and cruise abit of Sosua or ouside of town?..Take a drive to Porta Plata for example..
Recomended?...not recommended? Tips or decent trails?
Thanks, trying to shake things up abit for a week in Oct.

At night you are a moving target and will be left for dead.

babyboy06
09-21-2006, 07:50 PM
lol, :eek:

babyboy06
09-21-2006, 07:56 PM
glad I asked :corky:

anyone else have comments?

BCell
09-21-2006, 11:43 PM
they do have quad tours available, you can rent your own..don't know the cost yet...I will be there 10/8-10/12 you too?

Beads
09-21-2006, 11:48 PM
quad tours is ok but forget heading to POP at night. youll be lucky getting there in daylight especially if you drink. they will try to hit you thinking you have money and they can claim injury and think its your fault. remember in the DR and auto/moto accident with injuries and chances of SOMEONE going to jail are quite good unless SOMEONE just feels like paying the local or the cops off.

btw SOMEONE==YOU!

babyboy06
09-22-2006, 02:07 AM
they do have quad tours available, you can rent your own..don't know the cost yet...I will be there 10/8-10/12 you too?

thanks
14th - 21st i think ... 3 weeks away!

i hear good and bad about renting a car, i'll have to get a better sense once there, not looking to be left for dead and in the news though :D
it's gonna be a weird first trip going alone

Rocky
09-22-2006, 08:55 AM
If you are a true biker, then you can rent the Yamaha DT 125's and have a blast during the day.
Park them at night.
The trails right closeby to Sosua are incredible.
One of the divers from Northern Coast Dive Center came with me one day for a jungle ride.
His words were: "Why didn't you show me this before? This is the best day of my life!".
The bottom line is this. If you get hurt or damage the bike, it may ruin your vacation. If all goes well, it may be the vacation of your life.
Do NOT rent if you are not an experienced biker, end of story.

sosuaman
09-22-2006, 03:15 PM
i've rented a car and wouldn't do it again ,,,
too much of a hassle,, parking,, always worrying about it,,,etc,,,
rented a moto ,, much more fun,, less worry,, and like rocky says ,,
just park it at night,,,

Beads
09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
words of advise. DO NOT let the chicas drive your moto and even more important

DO NOT RENT THEM ONE!

last trip I was there a chica got her cousin the put up her cedula to rent her a scooter. That same night she crashed it while drunk .I heard her cousin was going to jail if she didnt pay for the scooter and saw some not so pretty photos of the chicas broken leg.

Its been 10 weeks I guess I will see if she has healed up soon enough.

Rocky
09-23-2006, 09:25 AM
words of advise. DO NOT let the chicas drive your moto and even more important

DO NOT RENT THEM ONE!

last trip I was there a chica got her cousin the put up her cedula to rent her a scooter. That same night she crashed it while drunk .I heard her cousin was going to jail if she didnt pay for the scooter and saw some not so pretty photos of the chicas broken leg.

Its been 10 weeks I guess I will see if she has healed up soon enough.
You just gave me a great idea on how to get rid of any chica who is pestering me.

Beads
01-11-2007, 09:57 AM
someone asked about scooter rental in Sosua in another thread so I thought it would be best to just tack on this recent info into this thread.

you can definitely negotiate a little if your renting for multiple days. theres a lot of shitty scooters and dirtbikes so be sure to test drive before you rent!

The place I use is tutti fruity. It next to Quixotes (sp) . Theres a yellow building headed away from the beach on the left several blocks before the chicken stand. Its got a cambio attached all one building all yellow. He rents for 400-600 pesos per day for a scooter or dirtbike depending upon how many days and negotiation skills. Possibly lower rate but the best I could pull off was 400-500 pesos per day depending upon how many people rented at once and how many days. The dirtbikes are only 125's.

If you want to rent electric start 200's dirtbikes theres a place by LaBologna that rents them but expect to pay an extra 300 pesos per day. He doesnt seem to budge on his prices either. Which is why we pretty much always use tutti fruity for scooter/dirtbike rental.

On another note always bring a drivers license if your going to rent a scooter or dirtbike. They will ask for some type of ID and you dont want to give up your passport. If you lose your license big deal you get a new one when you get home. If you lose your passport you have problems waiting to leave the country!

B_J_Lover
01-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the intel Beads. I never bothered renting a scooter before, but you and Sosuaman sure looked kewl scooting from LaPassions that day I bumped into you. I'm definitely doing a scooter next trip. How far have you ventured on that thing (distance)? I'm sure a trip to Blackbeards/POP on a scooter is probably out of the question??

Beads
01-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the intel Beads. I never bothered renting a scooter before, but you and Sosuaman sure looked kewl scooting from LaPassions that day I bumped into you. I'm definitely doing a scooter next trip. How far have you ventured on that thing (distance)? I'm sure a trip to Blackbeards/POP on a scooter is probably out of the question??

I wouldnt go to Santiago or Santo Domingo on one but anywhere you feel like really. Its definitely dangerous if your not used to them so be careful. We took them all over Sosua including up the highways towards peurta plata and to Cabarete several times. It also gives you the freedom to venture into the areas of Sosua and Charamicos you never really see. Tons of dirt roads and construction going on.

If your able to I highly suggest renting a bike or scooter and wandering around. Youll end up in places youd never see if you were on foot.

Rocky
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/rockybar/Picture036.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/rockybar/Picture029.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/rockybar/Picture070.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/rockybar/Picture064.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/rockybar/Picture058.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/rockybar/Picture011-1.jpg

Beads
01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
great stuff ! defintiely less dangerous riding in the woods than on the roads!

MisterPink
01-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Is that a colostomy bag floating downstream?

mp

Rocky
01-12-2007, 07:35 AM
Is that a colostomy bag floating downstream?

mpAnd he lost his glass eye, at the same time.

Apos
01-12-2007, 08:13 AM
poor old bugger's just falling apart:rolleyes::corky:
And he lost his glass eye, at the same time.

eldorob
02-14-2007, 06:25 PM
The place I use is tutti fruity. It next to Quixotes (sp) . Theres a yellow building headed away from the beach on the left several blocks before the chicken stand. Its got a cambio attached all one building all yellow. He rents for 400-600 pesos per day for a scooter or dirtbike depending upon how many days and negotiation skills. Possibly lower rate but the best I could pull off was 400-500 pesos per day depending upon how many people rented at once and how many days. The dirtbikes are only 125's.

How do you pay? I don't like using a crredit card down there-will they take cash or do they have to have a security hold on a cc?

and If you keep one for a few days, how do you handle security during the day if you want to park it and be away from it for awhile? chain & lock? Or do you just not do that? I've seen dominicans down at the beach who will lock up their motoconches. Nighttime is'nt a problem, I like staying at the condos and they have guards w/shotgun (usually sleeping but still...)

thanks beads

Beads
02-14-2007, 06:48 PM
if you go to the tutti fruiti guy (read rest of this thread earlier posts) you give him your passport (not recommended) or your drivers licenses (recommended you can get a new one if needed when you get home) and pay him in cash. You can negotitate a better deal if you do multiple days. If you cant get him to budge or just want to try it out get it for a day.

Remember the time you rent it and keep the piece of paper he gives you on you in case you get pulled over thats your paperwork.

If you decide to keep it longer you can stop by and pay him or we even just bring the things back a day or 2 late and just pay the extra when were done.

ALSO take the bike for a nice test run immediately so you can notice if theirs any problems. look for the oil light if it needs oil and you usually need gas right away anyhow so hit the gas station at the end of Dr Rosen near the main highway and get some gas then cruise town a bit and test drive!

Hope this helps enjoy!

Almost forgot if you want a 200 with electric start and good mirrors theirs a guy across the street from La Bologna who rents those but hes like 350 pesos per day more expensive and wont negotiate (at least he wouldnt for us and lost rentals on 4 bikes for 10 days). But if you need the extra 75CCs and want a cleaner looking electric start try over there.

Beads
02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Parking during the day doesnt seem like much of a problem. Everyone rents the things and leaves them outside. We always pull up and just park outside any bar or place. At the beach there are guys who watch them and you throw them 30 pesos for the day to watch your bike all day.

A buddy of mine drive one to Classicos last trip and got so drunk he walked home and left it there. When he woke up at 6am to go fishing and walked past Classicos he saw his bike and realized it was his.

It was the ONLY BIKE outside at that hour.

eldorob
02-19-2007, 07:24 PM
someone asked about scooter rental in Sosua in another thread so I thought it would be best to just tack on this recent info into this thread.

The place I use is tutti fruity. It next to Quixotes (sp) . Theres a yellow building headed away from the beach on the left several blocks before the chicken stand. Its got a cambio attached all one building all yellow. !

Headed East away from the beach? I've never eaten at the Chicken Stand, how do you get there? Thanks

I did have chicken one nite from a guy who parked his cart across from Classicos, was kind of dry...