PDA

View Full Version : Hipolito: I will win with a landslide

NewsWhore
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Former President Hipolito Mejia is confident he will win the 2012 presidential election. In an interview at the Corripio media group, he expressed his confidence he would be the next PRD presidential candidate, defeating Miguel Vargas Maldonado. He said he would put an end to what he described as wastefulness by the authorities in handling public funds. Mejia was President 2000-2004, years that were known for economic and banking crisis, with the peso devalued to record levels in contemporary history. Mejia promised to restore security and rescue what he described as the "collapsed" farm sector. He criticized the government luxury apartments being built on Avenida Luperon to benefit government officials, when there is a need for a million dwellings. Mejia has been successfully running on the slogan, "Papa is here," gaining popularity among young people and others who reject the actions of the present administration.

Mejia said: "The campaign for the 4% [for education] beat Leonel Fernandez, but he does not accept this or admit this. It is a mirror that one has to look into, because it is what people want."

He denied having an agreement with the PLD for the candidacy. "Everyone knows who I have been for the country; I have not signed a pact nor do I have engineering firms of any kind. When I was President I did not have commercial activities with the government, nor did my family. I have never had government contracts," he said.

He did comment that if he were elected President he would talk less with journalists. The Fernandez administration is marked by its reticence in communicating with journalists.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#8)