PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Car-jacking

shredder
03-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I've been laying low the last two days and spent time with a few friends including Bluemiata. I heard a first hand account of an attempted car jacking.

This was told by an English guy who lives here most of the time and owns a car. He was driving from Puerto Plata to Sosua around 10:30pm. Two cars pulled up behind him and then one passed him and began slowing down. The car behind pulled up close behind. The intention was to pin him in. He foiled it by coming to a stop faster than the car in front did leaving a wide space. The car in front put it into reverse and tried to close the gap but the intended victim hit the accelerator and sped around the car in front and drove like a mad man to Sosua.

He commented that he wish someone had told him of this car jack strategy so he would have recognized what was happening sooner....which is why I repeat the story here.

He reported this to the police and others and here is what he was told: Probably, his car make and model was targeted and presold in Santiago. He would not have been left on the side of the road because he could report to the police and a road block could be set up. He would have ended up in Santiago....who knows his fate at that point.:eek:

Hoseman
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I've been laying low the last two days and spent time with a few friends including Bluemiata. I heard a first hand account of an attempted car jacking.

This was told by an English guy who lives here most of the time and owns a car. He was driving from Puerto Plata to Sosua around 10:30pm. Two cars pulled up behind him and then one passed him and began slowing down. The car behind pulled up close behind. The intention was to pin him in. He foiled it by coming to a stop faster than the car in front did leaving a wide space. The car in front put it into reverse and tried to close the gap but the intended victim hit the accelerator and sped around the car in front and drove like a mad man to Sosua.

He commented that he wish someone had told him of this car jack strategy so he would have recognized what was happening sooner....which is why I repeat the story here.

He reported this to the police and others and here is what he was told: Probably, his car make and model was targeted and presold in Santiago. He would not have been left on the side of the road because he could report to the police and a road block could be set up. He would have ended up in Santiago....who knows his fate at that point.:eek:How do they figure he would have ended up in Santiago?

sopranostingray
03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
What was he driving?

shredder
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
How do they figure he would have ended up in Santiago?

This was what he was told and I didn't ask him to elaborate...but, I suppose the car-jackers would have overpowered him, kept him in the car, driven away from the site of the jacking and dealt with him later...maybe along the way in a deserted place.

I knew someone would ask what model of car and I can't remember exactly but it was a Toyota.

el toro
03-08-2011, 04:43 PM
A Dominican friend here in NY told me that they attempted to do the same thing to set up his cousin at gunpoint when he returned to DR to visit after moving away. It's not just ex pats or gringos they try this shit on eachother if they think they have money or something they want. It's good the Englishman reacted swiftly under pressure.

weyland
03-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the story, Shredder. But anyone who chooses to drive in this country knows what the risks are. This is just one of a dozen ways you can come to serious grief. Two dozen if you are a gringo.

Similarly, I ride the motoconchos a lot. I know what the risks are, in fact I have already had one accident where I got off almost miraculously unharmed. I, like the car drivers, just assess the convenience against the risk.

el toro
03-08-2011, 04:54 PM
anyone who chooses to drive in this country knows what the risks are.

I, like the car drivers, just assess the convenience against the risk.

Very good perspective.

Hoseman
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
This was what he was told and I didn't ask him to elaborate...but, I suppose the car-jackers would have overpowered him, kept him in the car, driven away from the site of the jacking and dealt with him later...maybe along the way in a deserted place.

I knew someone would ask what model of car and I can't remember exactly but it was a Toyota.That is what i was saying why take him all the way to STI. after they have the car?

DEPUTY DAWG
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah there's alot of open high geass fields to dump a body there for sure...

harlem hec
03-08-2011, 08:51 PM
I dont understand why expats who live there dont invest in FIREARMS?!?!?!

And also how to use their weapon of choice!

I would have a Colt M1911 on me at all times especially driving!

you probably will never have to use it...once word gets around that you are armed you will no longer be a target....if these thugs see fire power on your hip they will move on to an easy target.

Hoseman
03-08-2011, 08:58 PM

you probably will never have to use it...once word gets around that you are armed you will no longer be a target....if these thugs see fire power on your hip they will move on to an easy target.It can be more complicated than you think.

Hoseman
03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Just out of curiosity how often does crime happen where anyone of you live?

harlem hec
03-08-2011, 09:29 PM
It can be more complicated than you think.

Im sure it is....but its your life on the line!

I was speaking with the armed guard at the hotel, the bank guy in front of terra linda and even fred from cuba libre about it....it just sounded expensive but its money well spent in my opinion.

Hoseman
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM

I was speaking with the armed guard at the hotel, the bank guy in front of terra linda and even fred from cuba libre about it....it just sounded expensive but its money well spent in my opinion.How often do you think somethng like that happens?

wreckless
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM

I was speaking with the armed guard at the hotel, the bank guy in front of terra linda and even fred from cuba libre about it....it just sounded expensive but its money well spent in my opinion.

Why would you choose to live in a place where you thought it was necessary to carry a fire arm for self protection?

Just keep on your P's & Q's.Guns do not save most people. Guns kill most people.

Hoseman
03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Why would you choose to live in a place where you thought it was necessary to carry a fire arm for self protection?

Just keep on your P's & Q's.Guns do not save most people. Guns kill most people.I here you S I had plenty of run ins with People on Dr1 if you think where you are from stay there.

Apos
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
It's pretty easy to get a license for a hand gun once you have the appropriate paperwork (residency) in motion or completed, can't recall which for sure, but very expensive to purchase the weapon and ammo. Also the largest caliber a civilian may have is 9mm. No rifles but shotguns are fine too.

A glock 17, 19 or 26, just for example, that would run you $500-$600+ at home could be $3000 USD in the DR and rounds are expensive too.

Hoseman
03-08-2011, 10:33 PM
It's pretty easy to get a license for a hand gun once you have the appropriate paperwork (residency) in motion or completed, can't recall which for sure, but very expensive to purchase the weapon and ammo. Also the largest caliber a civilian may have is 9mm. No rifles but shotguns are fine too.

A glock 17, 19 or 26, just for example, that would run you $500-$600+ at home could be $3000 USD in the DR and rounds are expensive too. So give us a break down on where he was and what could happen in any medium size city any where in the the world if you are that scared keep your ass home you don't need to be there anyway.

weyland
03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
... once word gets around that you are armed you will no longer be a target.

A glock 17, 19 or 26, just for example ... could be $3000 USD in the DR and rounds are expensive too.

Would we advise a monger to carry a $3000 watch or gold chain with him at all times and hope word gets around among the criminal class that he is doing so?

So carrying a firearm of the same value could well make you more of a target, not less.

This is not my opinion but the opinion of two long-term residents in the DR, both of whose lines of work meant they had to deal with all classes of locals, including real scum, and both obviously handled sizable amounts of cash from time to time. Neither have ever been involved in armed robbery or other violent incidents in twenty years of living in the DR but both felt carrying a firearm, and known to be carrying one, could encourage robbers or others wishing them harm to "get in first" should such an event occur, or indeed be the very incentive to get robbed.

Of course Harlem Hec would be right in some cases and firearms would deter many would-be thieves, but I think the other arguments more than outweigh that.

As many know, I immigrated here 18 months ago and things are going generally well for me despite a few nasty occurrences. If I ever get to feel I need to carry a firearm just to travel about I will be moving to another country PDQ.

Apos
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM

you probably will never have to use it...once word gets around that you are armed you will no longer be a target....if these thugs see fire power on your hip they will move on to an easy target.

It can be more complicated than you think.

So give us a break down on where he was and what could happen in any medium size city any where in the the world if you are that scared keep your ass home you don't need to be there anyway.Hoseman, did you really mean to quote me? My post does not seem to have anything to do with your...:confused::lol:
DR1 might be the place for those that want more online info but you'd be better off to discuss it with some of our members that own and carry in the DR...

Would we advise a monger to carry a $3000 watch or gold chain with him at all times and hope word gets around among the criminal class that he is doing so?

So carrying a firearm of the same value could well make you more of a target, not less.

This is not my opinion but the opinion of two long-term residents in the DR, both of whose lines of work meant they had to deal with all classes of locals, including real scum, and both obviously handled sizable amounts of cash from time to time. Neither have ever been involved in armed robbery or other violent incidents in twenty years of living in the DR but both felt carrying a firearm, and known to be carrying one, could encourage robbers or others wishing them harm to "get in first" should such an event occur, or indeed be the very incentive to get robbed.

Of course Harlem Hec would be right in some cases and firearms would deter many would-be thieves, but I think the other arguments more than outweigh that.

As many know, I immigrated here 18 months ago and things are going generally well for me despite a few nasty occurrences. If I ever get to feel I need to carry a firearm just to travel about I will be moving to another country PDQ.Weyland, I was not advising anyone what to do. Just offering a little insight onto the process and costs involved. It's not that difficult a process but it does necessitate one getting their residency and the cost of that and the pistol and ammo adds up to quite an expense.

FYI I too chose not to carry...although there are a few people that I['d have seriously considered shooting if I did :rolleyes::rofl:

harlem hec
03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
How often do you think somethng like that happens?

I dont know....it really depends where in what part of DR you are in.

I just think one time is enough and if it happened to that guy it can happen to me.

weyland
03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Weyland, I was not advising anyone what to do.
Of course not, I was just citing your valuation of a firearm to make my point. Sorry if that was not clear.

I knew that after your well-publicised experiences with criminals your estimate would carry more weight with our members. :)

Apos
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Of course not, I was just citing your valuation of a firearm to make my point. Sorry if that was not clear.
Gotcha and no, we wouldn't. It's well known that many people are targeted for their weapons.Good point.

I knew that after your well-publicised experiences with criminals your estimate would carry more weight with our members. :)

Interesting. Buena suerte exorcising those personal demons...:rolleyes::lol:

weyland
03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
It's not that difficult a process but it does necessitate one getting their residency and the cost of that and the pistol and ammo adds up to quite an expense.
Do you have to give any justification why you need to carry a firearm, like "I handle cash or valuables in my business" or "I have been robbed previously" or can anyone get one if they have residencia (and presumably no criminal record)?

harlem hec
03-08-2011, 11:35 PM

Just keep on your P's & Q's.Guns do not save most people. Guns kill most people.

You are right, being aware does save most people BUT that is a 3rd world country and part of the dangers of living there is that you are subjected to crime and little to no police interjection til its too late ESPECIALLY in the non tourist places....

I rather be in a position to protect myself than not!

Apos
03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Do you have to give any justification why you need to carry a firearm, like "I handle cash or valuables in my business" or "I have been robbed previously" or can anyone get one if they have residencia (and presumably no criminal record)?

I am not familiar first hand and may not remember exactly what I've read in the past but I do not believe you need justification.

There is a psychological test and you are supposed to be tested to ensure you know how to handle your weapon and you must have a clear record, etc...

The majority of members here could pass all of the requirements once they had their residency...well, except for the psych test perhaps...:rolleyes::biggrin:

Apos
03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
You are right, being aware does save most people BUT that is a 3rd world country and part of the dangers of living there is that you are subjected to crime and little to no police interjection til its too late ESPECIALLY in the non tourist places....

I rather be in a position to protect myself than not!Many members have travelled all over the island and I doubt most feel/felt any actual need for a firearm.

Unless you're hanging with shady characters, are looking for trouble/illegal stuff or are looked upon as a target it's just not that dangerous.

Sometimes shit does happen but the vast majority have no worries.

harlem hec
03-08-2011, 11:55 PM
You guys are all correct about how no one should be worried and things rarely happens. But if its allowed then me personally I would just carry with the hopes of never having to use it on someone.

Apos
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM

A glock 17, 19 or 26, just for example, that would run you $500-$600+ at home could be $3000 USD in the DR and rounds are expensive too.

Just checked my notes from when I was researching in late 2008/2009 and the above mentioned Glock models were running towards 160,000RD or about $4300USD Loco! :eek:

harlem hec
03-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Just checked my notes from when I was researching in late 2008/2009 and the above mentioned Glock models were running towards 160,000RD or about $4300USD Loco! :eek:

HOLY SHIT!!!! at least I know the reason expats dont carry lol

Those are between 5-6 at bass pro shop!

There has to be a way to ship them from here.....even if it costs $1000 you are saving soooo much!

Apos
03-09-2011, 12:10 AM
HOLY SHIT!!!! at least I know the reason expats dont carry lol

Those are between 5-6 at bass pro shop!

There has to be a way to ship them from here.....even if it costs $1000 you are saving soooo much!

You used to be able to bring your own under some conditions but not for...5 or 6 years :confused:. Times change and the rules are much stricter and enforced.

Now you have to buy a registered pistol on the island.

Wait till you hear how much a box of 50 is :eek::rofl:

harlem hec
03-09-2011, 12:33 AM
You used to be able to bring your own under some conditions but not for...5 or 6 years :confused:. Times change and the rules are much stricter and enforced.

Now you have to buy a registered pistol on the island.

I dont even wanna know lol

gdogg
03-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Just keep on your P's & Q's. Guns do not save most people. Guns kill most people.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/brian_d/2uid5zo.gif

:wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

weyland
03-09-2011, 09:03 AM
harlem hec, I would be interested in reading how your scenario would actually develop, taking the OP's incident as an example.

This occurred at night, presumably on a quiet stretch of road with no lighting. Let's assume there were only two guys in each of the hijackers' cars. That makes four guys.

In daylight you could perhaps show them your firearm and hope that that would be enough to make them drive off. But in almost pitchblack darkness, are you prepared to allow four guys to get close enough to you, coming from different directions, to be able to see that you have a firearm and that you are not (for example) holding out your billfold in attempt to buy them off?

What if they are armed too? Are you going to shoot it out with four guys? Your odds of escaping alive or without serious injury would not be good unless your name is John Wayne or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Would you shoot first to increase your chances? What if the guys turned out to be cops or other authority figures engaged in some legitimate operation? If you then killed or seriously injured one or more of them you would be fucked. You probably wouldn't even make it as far as the courthouse but would be shot "escaping". The cops gun down kids stealing from street vendors in this country so I wouldn't give a lot for your chances.

What if the guys turned out to be cops or other authority figures engaged in a criminal activity? (A large proportion of more "organized" crimes are carried out by such moonlighters). The incident might create a few waves in their circles, but as far as your concerned the outcome would be the same as above. The Dominicans would close ranks and settle scores with you first, then settle scores among themselves later.

What if they were just plain criminals? If you killed or seriously wounded one or more of them do you think their "families" or "sponsors" (possibly high-ranking officials or army officers) would not come after you? Blood feuds (vendettas) are a common cause of homicides here.

If you were an ex-pat with your own car, this would almost certainly be well-known in your area. The locals have phenomenal memories for that sort of thing (probably because they don't have much else in their heads). If a rental, don't you think the company would notice a few bullet holes in the bodywork and turn you in once the police started making enquiries?

Of course there are scenarios whereby you could fight your way out and get away unidentified, but there are so many things which could militate against this I wouldn't fancy your chances.

How do you envisage the scenario would evolve, harlem hec?

jcrew2020
03-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Why would you car jack someone on the main road from sosua to puerto plata? And then you think that they are going to drive the car all the way to Santiago?I think there are easier ways to steal a car. Maybe your friend was carrying a large sum of cash or pissed off the wrong people.
I know plenty of people that do carry guns in this country and will use them.

steviewonder
03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Would you shoot first to increase your chances? What if the guys turned out to be cops or other authority figures engaged in some legitimate operation? If you then killed or seriously injured one or more of them you would be fucked. You probably wouldn't even make it as far as the courthouse but would be shot "escaping". The cops gun down kids stealing from street vendors in this country so I wouldn't give a lot for your chances.
What if the guys turned out to be cops or other authority figures engaged in a criminal activity? (A large proportion of more "organized" crimes are carried out by such moonlighters). The incident might create a few waves in their circles, but as far as your concerned the outcome would be the same as above. The Dominicans would close ranks and settle scores with you first, then settle scores among themselves later.
What if they were just plain criminals? If you killed or seriously wounded one or more of them do you think their "families" or "sponsors" (possibly high-ranking officials or army officers) would not come after you? Blood feuds (vendettas) are a common cause of homicides here.

This is really all that needs to be written why any gringo living here should consider first B4 getting a gun. I can tell you real stories of Gringos using their guns against Dominicans and ending up paying the victim families hugh amounts of money to avoid being killed later. Even stories where their homes where broken into while they where there and killed the buglers, in what we would all agree as being in self defense. Self defense does not apply to Gringos living here unless you are well connected, IMHO. And for the car jacking, I've traveled 1,000 or more times Sosua to POP and back at what many would call crazy hours at night. This story sounds more of a robbery for money, or pay back, then a car jacking. Car jacking here tends to be on off main streets, such as in an entrance to an estate, or in parking lots. Not sure but the gringo may have been seen at some bar, disco, casino etc. with money to burn. It doesn't make it right what happen to him, but it's the way of the world here.

Sidney
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
This is really all that needs to be written why any gringo living here should consider first B4 getting a gun. I can tell you real stories of Gringos using their guns against Dominicans and ending up paying the victim families hugh amounts of money to avoid being killed later. Even stories where their homes where broken into while they where there and killed the buglers, in what we would all agree as being in self defense. Self defense does not apply to Gringos living here unless you are well connected, IMHO. We had an attempted, 4 years ago, break-in while in the house. They didn't get in. I was told by others, that to escape any serious future problems, that I would need to kill all of them. Then, bury their bodies or drop them far out to sea!

Corrado
03-09-2011, 12:17 PM

It can put quite a dent in your pocket, I go to a shooting range in Santiago and can quickly drop more than $100.

weyland
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
... to escape any serious future problems, that I would need to kill all of them. Then, bury their bodies or drop them far out to sea!
I was going to add something very similar to my post, but decided it was already too long. :) I wonder if harlem hec would be prepared to go to that trouble?

JD426
03-09-2011, 12:58 PM

damn,, just dammmnnn...
this brit mentality of yours.
no wonder you guys had all your guns, even shotguns used for bird hunting, taken away from you. So how are those crime statistics working out for you ? , now that only the criminals are armed in London.

I live in a place where i dont even have to lock my doors,and i have never had anything stolen, and i leave stuff outside too. But I have a loaded .45 next to my bed, because I live alone.. Can you educate me on guns too , cause i dont want to accidentally shoot myself.. ?

If you know absolutely nothing about firearms,just keep your comments to yoursef.

harlem hec
03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
harlem hec, I would be interested in reading how your scenario would actually develop, taking the OP's incident as an example.

How do you envisage the scenario would evolve, harlem hec?

WEYLAND I don't know if you are looking for me to say that I would hop out of the car guns blazing screaming "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND" like the last scene of Scarface or what but I am a sensible person and this is real life not the movies!

Your question is basically unanswerable because of all the variables that aren't factored in...for instance how soon do I identify that I am about to be a victim of a crime....also my vehicle vs the perpetrators vehicles....my knowledge of the area...ETC

Just because Im pro gun doesn't mean that I want to use them on anyone....by all means conflict avoidance is the first option....

It was stated that he would be left somewhere in a ditch on the way to STI.....now that ENTIRE list of consequences wont matter if Im DEAD right??

The only thing I can guarantee is that I wont be sitting in the car, saying my prayers at the mercy of some thugs ready to succumb to my "fate"

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_114844d780598c9c5a.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98855)http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_114844d7805d1d0bf5.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98857)
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_114844d780622c5e59.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98858)http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_114844d780639baea1.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98859)http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/thum_114844d7806492de28.jpg (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98860)

The above pics are of me in Virginia where I spend part of the year...which is an open carry state which means you can go about your business with a firearm as long as its not concealed....The first pic is with a shotgun and a Glock 26 which Apostropheman stated are allowed once you get your paperwork.

I put these pics up just to show that I wont be a random gringo who just has a gun...I know what I doing a little bit:wink:

WEYLAND you asked in a more recent post am I prepared to kill people til the vendetta is over...the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT and I dont think anyone is BUT if it ever came down to a scenario where I will have to protect myself then I will.

harlem hec
03-09-2011, 06:17 PM
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

Thomas Jefferson

FIREARMS REFRESHER COURSE

1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

2. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

3. Colt: The original point and click interface.

4. Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

5. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

6. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

7. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

8. If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

9. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.

10. The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

11. What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand?

12. The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.

13. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

14. Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians.

15. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

16. You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

17. 911: Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

18. Assault is a behavior, not a device.

19. Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.

20. If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.

21. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

22. You have only the rights you are willing to fight for.

23. Enforce the gun control laws we ALREADY have; don't make more.

24. When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.

25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

ElPlomero
03-09-2011, 06:21 PM
WEYLAND I don't know if you are looking for me to say that I would hop out of the car guns blazing screaming "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND" like the last scene of Scarface or what but I am a sensible person and this is real life not the movies!

Your question is basically unanswerable because of all the variables that aren't factored in...for instance how soon do I identify that I am about to be a victim of a crime....also my vehicle vs the perpetrators vehicles....my knowledge of the area...ETC

Just because Im pro gun doesn't mean that I want to use them on anyone....by all means conflict avoidance is the first option....

It was stated that he would be left somewhere in a ditch on the way to STI.....now that ENTIRE list of consequences wont matter if Im DEAD right??

The only thing I can guarantee is that I wont be sitting in the car, saying my prayers at the mercy of some thugs ready to succumb to my "fate"

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98855)Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98857)
Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98858)Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98859)Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=98860)

The above pics are of me in Virginia where I spend part of the year...which is an open carry state which means you can go about your business with a firearm as long as its not concealed....The first pic is with a shotgun and a Glock 26 which Apostropheman stated are allowed once you get your paperwork.

I put these pics up just to show that I wont be a random gringo who just has a gun...I know what I doing a little bit:wink:

WEYLAND you asked in a more recent post am I prepared to kill people til the vendetta is over...the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT and I dont think anyone is BUT if it ever came down to a scenario where I will have to protect myself then I will.

I'm not sure what your point is here...

What good are all those guns, and the fact that you can legally have them in Virginia going to do for you in the DR?

You'll be bringing THOUGHTS of guns to a machete fight.

BigLongBeach
03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Harlem isnt saying he would walk around sosua like Clint eastwood w/a ammo belt around his waste and a gun belt! He isnt saying walk around like homer simpson opening beers with his gun, or opening doors with his gun.

If you are comfortable with a gun, then you should own one. You buy a gun, keep it by your bed or hidden in your closet. When you go out into the countryside put it in your glove compartment or the middle compartment of your car.

Other members are right though. You shouldnt show off your brand new glock. People who show (anything) off tend to get targeted.

harlem hec
03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure what your point is here...

What good are all those guns, and the fact that you can legally have them in Virginia going to do for you in the DR?

You'll be bringing THOUGHTS of guns to a machete fight.

I thought my point was clear from the beginning...

the point is...if guns can be legally carried then I will legally carry just like I do in the states so IN CASE OF A DIRE EMERGENCY then I will be able to protect myself

ElPlomero
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Harlem isnt saying he would walk around sosua like Clint eastwood w/a ammo belt around his waste and a gun belt! He isnt saying walk around like homer simpson opening beers with his gun, or opening doors with his gun.

If you are comfortable with a gun, then you should own one. You buy a gun, keep it by your bed or hidden in your closet. When you go out into the countryside put it in your glove compartment or the middle compartment of your car.

Other members are right though. You shouldnt show off your brand new glock. People who show (anything) off tend to get targeted.

Actually... I'm a gun person. My post wasn't intended to start a pro-gun anti-gun debate.

But... you can't take them to The DR, except under some very specific situations.

Almost none of us, if not none of us, will find ourselves in one of these situations.

My point is .... if you will not be able to have your gun(s) in The DR... why mention them at all, except to maybe say "too bad I can't bring my gun(s) with me"?

Smokey
03-09-2011, 08:25 PM

Guns don't kill people.

hugrad95a
03-09-2011, 08:45 PM
FYI, carjacking happens here in Jersey.. Gotta keep your eyes open

tomgueguen
03-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Guns in your bed?!

I think for first time in this forum.

JD426
03-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Guns in your bed?!

I think for first time in this forum.

Ask your père about June 6 1944, and don't worry about where we Americans keep our guns.

Mkkkaayyy

wreckless
03-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Sometimes we say things and do things which may seem insignificant to us but it is important that things are done and said in the right spirit. Having respect for each other on this board i feel is important.

But after reading your reply to my post JD, i do not understand how you could take offence to what i wrote. I do not get why you took a childish swipe at me or why you took my post so personally. There is no excuse for your rudeness.

Casting stones can brake bones. Sleeping alone and having a gun as company instead of a women is pityful. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You even had the audacity to basically tell me to shut up. Did you really think that would happen or are you just playing with me?:lol:

A dig at the British and at the French. Keep them coming. I am learning alot from you.

Then again maybe i should have stayed quiet and let the bully win or maybe you should take your own advise.;) Perhaps those guns you sleep with compensate you for other things lacking in yourself. At least you can sleep well at night, alone. :wackit:

If someone disagrees with something i wrote that's ok with me. But when someone write's something to be disrespectful to myself i will respond.

JD you must thought that i was the Bitch you obviously are. Pick on someone else as i am the wrong man. from now on ignore my posts as i will ignore yours.

C1XX21 you are right guns do not kill anybody. Thanks for your contribution.:clap:

To other members forgive me for my childish rant.

As gringo's we will be targeted by locals. Just keep those eyes open wide. And as my man Larry say's getitgetitgetit.

JD426
03-11-2011, 02:02 AM
my question to you would be why are you so afraid of guns ?
do you share the same fear of knives, and automobiles as well ?
how agout cigarettes, or perhaps alcohol. All of them can kill you just the same.
how about those crime stats ? would you like me to pull them for you.

the debate was not personal, it was just an observation of how easily you Brits, just like the Aussies gave up your guns, for the illusion of some safety, which never came... You were deceived.. and now you are perhaps bitter, or you just dont know how to read crime stats ?
Focus on the topic, dont try to distract with your pretense of being offended. Its not fooling anyone.
Give me some facts, show me how crime & gun deaths went DOWN, after your guns were taken away from you. Show it to me.

pixall7887
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I Hate guns and i don't think anyone should have one except for armed forced or law enforcement. This is not the world we live in and since the bad guys have em i'll make sure i have em cause i'm not bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I read a few years ago that there was 3 guns for every human on the planet. That's just stupid and unncessary. And jd you were kinds rude to the guy.

JD426
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I Hate guns and i don't think anyone should have one except for armed forced or law enforcement. This is not the world we live in and since the bad guys have em i'll make sure i have em cause i'm not bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I read a few years ago that there was 3 guns for every human on the planet. That's just stupid and unncessary. And jd you were kinds rude to the guy.

ok, point taken.
my apologies, for the rudeness, but certainly NOT the content.
I take my guns seriously, and noone, esp from another COUNTRY is going to lecture Americans on guns.. Americans fought for many a country, many Americans died for other peoples Freedoms. They almost expect us to be there for them, and then they want to piss on us, and our rights (constitutional) to bear arms.
To me, a guy with 10 AR15s , and 20 handguns on his bed, is more normal ,than a guy who says I have no right to own even a single one, because I cant be trusted.
My experience has been those who don't trust law abiding citizens, can't be trusted themselves.
IMO there shoud be 10 guns for every person on the planet, they are merely a tool.

givengo440
03-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree with harlem in regards to a gun because right off the plane on my first trip I asked where I can but one. I have always said him or me! Guns do bring more guns but hell I live in NY, spent many night after DJing in LI walking through Brooklyn by the train yards and pink houses going to my girlfriends house with a "Dirty" 22 or a 38 in one hand and my CD Case in another (Eastcoast I am sure knows the park behind the popeyes). So I mean you know the risk by having and not having either way. This carjacking is just another case where if the move to get free doesn't work you might have to take your chances in a shootout. No it is not pretty, and a lot of time does not appeal to common sense but we have a rule in the hood live to flee town or in this case the country to fight another day. Glad nobody was hurt this could of been another bad situation.