PDA

View Full Version : Entering DR on a single ticket?

Antonio
03-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Is it possible to enter Sosua on a one way plane ticket?
Or do you need a return ticket?

jose1234
03-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Last time I entered, I had a single ticket and had no problem and I used American Airlines, but many other people have indicated that they had a problem. Some people on DR1 were talking about it a few months ago.

weyland
03-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Twelve people have read your post but no-one has replied. I guess no-one understands what you are asking? ohmmmm posted while I was writing this. Kinda sneaky of him!

I am guessing you mean - can you fly to POP airport with a single ticket? If so, the answer is yes. But your visitor card officially only lasts 30 days so in the very unlikely event that anyone asks, you need to say that you will be returning to your home country within 30 days.

If you intend to stay longer than 30 days you will have to pay an overstay charge when you leave, but it is not a lot of money. If you never leave then you won't have to pay it but you will be an illegal immigrant. This won't be a problem unless you get involved with the police or officialdom for some other reason.

Another issue is it can be a bit of a hassle to buy your one-way return ticket in the DR and you may not be able to buy one for the specific day you want. This all depends to which country you will be returning. If to the US then no problem as there are lots of flights.

If the above does not answer your question, please explain in more detail what you want to know.

balcoach
03-12-2011, 07:55 AM
No problem for me to fly on a one-way ticket.
Weyland is correct, you are subject to a financial penalty on the way out if you stay beyond 30 days.

I did the same in February and was not questioned at all.

Best of Luck.

gdogg
03-12-2011, 09:00 AM
If you intend to stay longer than 30 days you will have to pay an overstay charge when you leave, but it is not a lot of money. If you never leave then you won't have to pay it but you will be an illegal immigrant. This won't be a problem unless you get involved with the police or officialdom for some other reason.

These were the overstay rates in late 2009...they may have increased some:

From 30 days to 3 months RD $800.00
From 3 months to 9 months RD $1,000.00
From 9 months to 1 year RD $2,500.00
From 1 year to 1 year & 6 months RD $4,000.00
From 1 year & 6 months to 2 years RD $5,000.00
From 2 years to 2 years & 6 months RD $6,500.00
From 2 years & 6 months to 3 years RD $9,000.00
From 3 years to 5 years RD $14,000.00
From 5 years onwards RD $17,000.00

TC
03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I couldn't find this on the DR's consulate website, but according to the State Department's website, which is usually up-to-date, Americans are permitted to stay 60 days when entering the DR with a tourist card, not 30 days.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html#entry_requirements

Robert, if you are reading this, how often do you have to leave and come back?

Jimbo44
03-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Robert is stuck there for the rest of his life!!!

KoKi9290
03-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I've flown down out of Miami on American with only a one way ticket but last time I flew out of FLL on Spirit, I couldn't use the kiosk and had to see an agent and show them my return ticket info on American. For what it's worth.

Antonio
03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a Swedish passport. Usually I find my one way tickets on Skyscanner ( a very good search engine for cheap flights by the way) so I never had a problem finding a flight home. But different countries have different rules about entering with a one way plane ticket. And sometimes the airline dont let you enter the plane in fear of you getting rejected by customs, and they will be forced to pay for your return ticket.
Thanks for all your answers.

BCell
03-12-2011, 07:12 PM
you can make your own ticket, there is no verification (ie fly spirit there and photoshop an AA return eticket)

weyland
03-12-2011, 08:18 PM
I have a Swedish passport. Usually I find my one way tickets on Skyscanner ( a very good search engine for cheap flights by the way) so I never had a problem finding a flight home. But different countries have different rules about entering with a one way plane ticket. And sometimes the airline dont let you enter the plane in fear of you getting rejected by customs, and they will be forced to pay for your return ticket.
Thanks for all your answers.
If you fly JetAirFly from Brussels to POP they always sell outbound and return tickets separately (in other words, if you want to book a return trip you have to make two purchases):
http://www.jetairfly.com/ticket
So there cannot be any restriction on entering with a single ticket.

And they sometimes sell outbound tickets very cheap.

Tony Toca
03-12-2011, 11:44 PM
I have flown one-way into DR almost exclusively the past 2 and half years without a return ticket and have not had a problem. But I do remember several years ago (4+) where I had a round trip booked with different airlines (CO to and either AA, JB or Delta returning) and had an ordeal at the reservation desk in the US. I had to show them my return ticket printout from the other airline before they would ticket me.

I do know of a couple of guys who were basically forced to buy a return ticket back to the US at the airport before they could board, however, for the most part, they bought fully refundable tickets and canceled them later on. One of them has Shark Bar Lou and he can probably give you more details.

While I have been flying to DR on one ways recently and purchasing my return ticket in the DR (sometimes same day, only 3-4 hours before the flight), I have had some agents read to me (when I was using rewards points/miles) a paragraph stating that a round trip ticket was necessary. I would just hang up and call again.

Hoseman
03-13-2011, 12:54 AM
These were the overstay rates in late 2009...they may have increased some:

From 30 days to 3 months RD $800.00
From 3 months to 9 months RD $1,000.00
From 9 months to 1 year RD $2,500.00
From 1 year to 1 year & 6 months RD $4,000.00
From 1 year & 6 months to 2 years RD $5,000.00
From 2 years to 2 years & 6 months RD $6,500.00
From 2 years & 6 months to 3 years RD $9,000.00
From 3 years to 5 years RD $14,000.00
From 5 years onwards RD $17,000.00It is the same