PDA

View Full Version : West coast tickets to the DR/POP unreal ?????

bryan_sr
03-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Tickets to the DR/POP have almost doubled from Arizona....from $520.00 to $875.00 and over....what the hell...??? Thats garbage !!!

Siamslim

SeaWeed
03-17-2011, 06:32 AM
it's just not the west coast.......just from FL it's costing an arm and a leg.......
from Tampa to POP I'm getting telephone numbers for prices.......
cheapest flight on AA for next month is $806 for the dates I would use........Jet Blue wants like $1400:eek:
you won't find me on the north coast of the DR this year.......too expensive

joeysterr
03-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Lol, bought my round trip JFK-STI flight for $379 on Copa for April all taxes included and high chances of free business class upgrade. Oh and this year you will find me in the North Coast of the DR, as well as in Medellin, the PHILIPPINES and who knows Rio De Janeiro, Bangkok and Pattaya! How many threads about airplane ticket prices are we gonna have? Should we merged them into one like those cry me a river Sosua is dead threads?? You guys are always bitching about something it's crazy!:p

reallyforreal
03-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Bought my ticket jfk to pop for first week of april $400 total. Bought it around January.

gdogg
03-17-2011, 11:21 AM
My aunt tried to convince me to move to Arizona. I told her that the airfare to the Dominican Republic is probably too crazy. She thought I was joking.
:rolleyes:

Ramair4
03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
My last trip in Feb I paid $636. Since I got back I've looked at a variety of dates from now through July. The lowest I saw was $767 and the highest over $1200. :mad:

gdogg
03-17-2011, 11:28 AM
My last trip in Feb I paid $636. Since I got back I've looked at a variety of dates from now through July. The lowest I saw was $767 and the highest over $1200. :mad:

That's not as bad as I imagined.

JD426
03-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Lol, bought my round trip JFK-STI flight for $379 on Copa for April all taxes included and high chances of free business class upgrade............

Has anyone flown on Copa. I have been watching their prices to POP ( i think it was pop, maybe it was STI ?, have to double check now)
, pretty good., but every flight goes through Panama (obviously) ,and its like a 9 hour ordeal. Anyone have any experience with them ?
reason I ask, I would rather take a chance with them, than deal with AA & Miami

knotty
03-17-2011, 11:34 AM
prices seem to be up after april. if you copped yours a month prior to April, you were good, but after April, everything else is up. Shit, going to Rio, you're looking at over 1,000.00 and SEA, on avg, 1,600.00-1,700 and up. I may not be going anywhere anytime soon.

The Sage
03-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Flights from LA on AA are hovering near $900. A couple of years back the price was between $650-$750. Could be worst, but $900 is about my cut off point even with the miles. Cultivating a relationship here at home is starting to look like a viable option.

LJDMV
03-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Whats wrong with AA and miami? I have flown with them 2 times and no real problems..

Has anyone flown on Copa. I have been watching their prices to POP ( i think it was pop, maybe it was STI ?, have to double check now)
, pretty good., but every flight goes through Panama (obviously) ,and its like a 9 hour ordeal. Anyone have any experience with them ?

JD426
03-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Whats wrong with AA and miami? I have flown with them 2 times and no real problems..
I hear stories of missed connections. etc. that would drive me apeshit.
Think im going to stick with Jet Blue, and just pay for a direct flight. Oh well, sometimes you gotta pay .

Jimmydr
03-17-2011, 11:47 AM
I hear stories of missed connections. etc. that would drive me apeshit.
Think im going to stick with Jet Blue, and just pay for a direct flight. Oh well, sometimes you gotta pay .

I missed 2 connections in Miami, they paid and 1 connection in PR, they paid and 1 connection in Detroit, I paid.

Jimmydr
03-17-2011, 11:47 AM

I have done this over a dozen times and its fine.

Jimbo44
03-17-2011, 11:48 AM
I just booked a 375 r/t flt from jfk to pop for 1st week of May. I did happen to take advantage of NNJDave thread he had the other day for 15% off.

Talis
03-17-2011, 12:06 PM
If you are willing to be creative you can get the price down.. From phoenix AZ I was able to find a flight to SDQ in mid may for about 550.00. You take southwest to FLL and then spirit to SDQ..

I was unable to get mine below 700.00 for late may so I bit the bullet and went AA for 900 :-( With an overnight stay in FLL and the extra baggage charges from spirit the price difference was not worth it.

I was looking at POP using jet blue through denver or slc and the prices are horrible so far..

I've read that prices will be high for the rest of the year as oil prices are high, the number of seats has been reduced, and the economy is improving. Bargain seats are first to go.

LJDMV
03-17-2011, 12:17 PM
WOW, 900 for a flight to the Dominican is crazy. I was so upset when i saw the prices just go up like crazy a month ago. It will surely keep many guys from going back. My cutoff price is about 600 round trip. once the price gets above the 600 range from the east coast it is time to wait to go another time. Just think i was complaining last year about paying 420 r/t to POP. The only decent prices now are mostly into Santiago airport for me.

funseeker
03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Hopefully this is temporary for you in the west.... the whole spring break thing.
Just did a quick look and see prices from ATL to Santo Domingo... Spirit is $88 each way ( before fees )..

joeysterr
03-17-2011, 07:09 PM

May the "Copa-ISOC" thread help you JeDi!!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=327052

Talis
03-17-2011, 07:29 PM
WOW, 900 for a flight to the Dominican is crazy. I was so upset when i saw the prices just go up like crazy a month ago. It will surely keep many guys from going back. My cutoff price is about 600 round trip. once the price gets above the 600 range from the east coast it is time to wait to go another time. Just think i was complaining last year about paying 420 r/t to POP. The only decent prices now are mostly into Santiago airport for me.

Yeah 900 sucks.. That is why you do not see guys from western states doing long weekends :) Fewer trips, longer duration to make the ROI.

joeysterr
03-17-2011, 08:02 PM
prices seem to be up after april. if you copped yours a month prior to April, you were good, but after April, everything else is up. Shit, going to Rio, you're looking at over 1,000.00 and SEA, on avg, 1,600.00-1,700 and up. I may not be going anywhere anytime soon.

What's an usual SEA ticket price? I'm looking at some for early summer and it is $1500. Is it usually lower than that? Like $1100, right? I don't even know what's an avg bargain price for there!

knotty
03-17-2011, 09:06 PM
What's an usual SEA ticket price? I'm looking at some for early summer and it is $1500. Is it usually lower than that? Like $1100, right? I don't even know what's an avg bargain price for there!

Around 1,100-1,200 so what they are charging for the summer is ridiculous. When I was pricing for April before I had to change my dates, it was a little over 1,600 to do Thailand and PI. Now they charging that price for just one spot. Forget that shit.

joeysterr
03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Around 1,100-1,200 so what they are charging for the summer is ridiculous. When I was pricing for April before I had to change my dates, it was a little over 1,600 to do Thailand and PI. Now they charging that price for just one spot. Forget that shit.

$75 FOR TAXES + FREQUENT FLYER MILES(AAdvantage) HERE WE COME

Mr. Smooth
03-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Yeah 900 sucks.. That is why you do not see guys from western states doing long weekends :) Fewer trips, longer duration to make the ROI.

I think most people from California still go to Hawaii and Cabo. I have met very few people from Cal in 7 trips to the DR. I really don't think a lot of people out this way even know where the place is at. Some friends at work didn't know until they saw the news about the earthquake in Haiti and saw that it shared an island with the DR. Then they would see me and say, "Oh, thats where you go."

Mr. Smooth
03-18-2011, 03:44 AM

I went through Kayak in mid February for Thailand airfares in December when I always go. Only Korean Air was less than $1500. I booked with them for $1007 all in. Every other airline listed was over $1500. Eva Air for that time had a coach fare for over $2000 that had been a little over a grand last year when I booked.

Guys who still plan on going may have to go for a lower end hotel or guest house to try and make up some of the difference on paying a higher airfare. I have booked a guest house on soi yamato, halfway between the beach road and 2nd road for 3 weeks and it will run me $285 total. Air and room for $1300. I can't do better than that. I know it won't be the Ritz, but I don't need fancy.

Talis
03-18-2011, 08:03 AM
I think most people from California still go to Hawaii and Cabo. I have met very few people from Cal in 7 trips to the DR. I really don't think a lot of people out this way even know where the place is at. Some friends at work didn't know until they saw the news about the earthquake in Haiti and saw that it shared an island with the DR. Then they would see me and say, "Oh, thats where you go."

For non-monger type vacations very true.. I do hear the occasional rumblings about business trips people take to Costa Rica but the Caribbean (other than a cruise) not so much. Lots of people go to the Hawaii and Mexico. There was a time not too long ago I could go to Mazatlan for 255 round trip.

We have a little tradition in my group at work - when someone goes on a trip outside of the country they bring back a small denomination bill for everyone and pass them out when we get back. We each have a section of our walls in our offices dedicated for the currency... So when I brought back 20 pesos bills from the DR (actually the first trip it was 50 peso bills, the 20s were not out yet) I had a lot of questions about where the heck the Dominican Republic was.. a few interesting stares from a few "Why would you go there? Jamaica is so close! or a cruise!"

The Colombian 1000 pesos bills sent shock waves! heh :)

passasabe
04-15-2011, 12:42 AM
I recently bought a ticket from DC to Pop for $529 and was happy that I was able to get it so low. When I first started looking the ticket prices were going for almost a grand, that is ridiculous. When I first started going to DR a couple of years ago I was getting a ticket in the mid $300 range, now the ticket prices are cutting into my chica money. I used yapta for last ticket purchase and found it very convenient, I just put in my origin/destination and dates and it will sent you a email alert when the ticket price has gone down. So instead of having to check everyday, just input your info and wait. It is good if you are planning a trip a couple of that is a couple of months away.

kitie carson
04-15-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm headed to DR in June and then PI/Pattaya in Sept...Prices from HNL one way are between 650-770 ...I said Wtf and booked 1st class for $125 more..Same thing coming back...Figure for 18+ hr flights I might as well relax and go in comfort while boozing it up to the promised land!!

I can get a RT from HNL to MNL for 850 ish in September whicha can't be beat...

Chief Papi Lindo
04-15-2011, 12:53 AM
im here in the sf bay area looking at tickets in july and the prices are thru the fuking roof!

Ramair4
04-15-2011, 04:56 AM
im here in the sf bay area looking at tickets in july and the prices are thru the fuking roof!

You can say that again, the red eye flight I usually take from SFO was $1094 when I checked today. Thats about $500 more than I paid in Feb. Hopefully prices come down a little closer to the departure date; a similar search for May came in at $746.

bigcowboyzfan11
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
The Governor plans to be there with a gang of fellas from "THA ATL" on the 16th. Sea Breeze or Don Antonio..

LJDMV
06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
This is the reason my boy SACASE has not returned to Sosua since Jan 2011... Those damn west coast airfares to POP...

Nakom
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Can't you guys from the USA just book a flight from Seattle (or where ever out west) to miami on Southwest for $49 each way? Then jump a cheap MIA to POP?

My understanding was that flights within the USA are cheap with Southwest and Jet Blue, ect?

Have things changed?

Jimmydr
06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Can't you guys from the USA just book a flight from Seattle (or where ever out west) to miami on Southwest for $49 each way? Then jump a cheap MIA to POP?

My understanding was that flights within the USA are cheap with Southwest and Jet Blue, ect?

Have things changed?

Its not cheap enough to spend 14 hours each way.