PDA

View Full Version : Agents bust “secret” airstrip next to Dominican resort town

gmalet
03-18-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2011/3/18/38946/Agents-bust-secret-airstrip-next-to-Dominican-resort-town

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.- Puerto Plata Airbase Intelligence agents and assistant prosecutors dismantled an airstrip for small planes which operated in the dark of night in the sector El Choco, of the Atlantic coast tourism resort town Sosúa.

The 1,800 meter long, 30 meter wide airstrip is reportedly located on land owned by U.S. citizen Charlis Ritzen, and the authorities found an ultralight aircraft registry C-IB0R, piloted by Stiben Kostero, who allegedly used it for sports flights, from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Puerto Plata DA Victor Mueses confirmed that the airstrip operated in secret, for which the investigation was widened to determine which type of aircraft used it for night flights.

He said law enforcement agencies were tipped off that secret night landings occurred in the community, and ordered it destroyed.

WickedWillie
03-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Secret night landings my arse.

Secret airstrip my arse.

Oh the shit that happens when you piss off (allegedly) a politico here and probably anywhere else.

uncle ruckus
03-18-2011, 07:22 PM
I believe it. There are secret airstrips all over the island (and in fact all over the Caribbean and Mexico).

The main reason for the airstrips is to transport drugs from one destination to another. Those "night flights" are drug runs.

Sports flights my ass.

Apos
03-18-2011, 07:26 PM
...and only a secret until the payments stopped or someone got pissed off.
Secret my ass! :D

WickedWillie
03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
I believe it. There are secret airstrips all over the island (and in fact all over the Caribbean and Mexico).

The main reason for the airstrips is to transport drugs from one destination to another. Those "night flights" are drug runs.

Sports flights my ass.

Unfortunately the majority will think this when reading such a story however this airstrip was probably the only legitmate one.

gmalet
03-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I did a google search for this Charles Ritzen guy. Here is his website.

http://www.monkeyjungledr.com/site/

hugrad95a
03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Maybe he's trying to do some good with that drug money... It happens.

JD426
03-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Maybe he's trying to do some good with that drug money... It happens.

so, You think he was doing a Frank White y Jimmy Jump for the good folks of Sosua ?
(king of ny reference)

WickedWillie
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Jeez guys, some of you have such vivid imaginations which of course is understandable bearing in mind some of the shit that occurs here.

Here's the skinny:

No drugs
No handouts or payoffs
No secret flights nor landings
No secret airstrip (well maybe the fiscal didn't know about it!!)

Monkey Jungle and it's charitable work is a totally legit operation
Ultralite only used for daylight sport and personal use, my mate has had lessons there and has even crash landed twice, no night flying capability.
Airstrip licence applied for but application repeatedly blocked or documents allegedly lost.

Bulldozers turned up Tuesday and Wednesday and ripped the airstrip up. The owner now has a nice plowed piece of land ready for banana plants.

So who could possibly have blocked the airstrip application and who could possibly have tipped off the authorities about secret night landings with the implication being narco trafficking?

If you were a cynical type of person you might think that well maybe it may have been the type of person that was allegedly outbid for the land a couple of years back and has allegedly been carrying out a vendetta of harassment against the current land owner since then. Stranger things have possibly happened. Who knows??? I sure don't.:wink:

It's also possible that maybe that same person also just happens to be a well known local politico with some heavyweight connections. Who knows??? I sure don't.:wink:

I couldn't even contemplate that some Dominicans may be a tad upset by a rich gringo setting up a charity in their backyard to help Haitians. We all know how much brotherly love exists between the 2 nations of Hispaniola right???

Surely such things as these could never happen, of course, in the DR which is known the world over for it's impeccable integrity and honesty and the absolute incorruptability of it's authorities.???

I've also never heard of a Dominican using their connections to try to bully a gringo, especially when land deals are involved.:wink:

I'm not saying that is what has happened but I guess it is a possibility.:wink: