PDA

View Full Version : Jarabacoa / Pico Duarte

Madiran745
03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
I'll be visiting Sosua April 7 to 17 and I'm planning on doing a side trip to Jarabacoa to climb Pico Duarte April 10 to 12. I'm considering booking the climb with Rancho Baiguate. Does anyone have any advice on transportation from Sosua to Jarabacoa and Pico Duarte in general?

WickedWillie
03-19-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm told that it's a tough hike up Pico Duarte.

You sure you want to do it after 3 nights in Sosua?:wink:

Do a search on DR1.com for reports from guys that have done it.

eldorob
03-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Caribe Tours will get you there very easy. You have to do one layover south of Santiago. It's some little bus station in the middle of nowhere. I may remember the town name later. Very small station and nothing around you, just some guy selling food out of a cart. I sat there for about two hours but there might have been bus mechanical trouble that day.

You do have to pay attention to make sure you get off at your layover bus stop, otherwise you'll end up in Santo Domingo. And they don't announce the stops.

eldorob
03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Salto de Jimenoa One (or Two?)

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/68164d855886d85f2.jpg

joeysterr
03-20-2011, 06:49 AM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/155734c47106725794.jpg

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/155734c471fca89979.jpg

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/155734c47233192395.jpg

snoozer
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Caribe Tours will get you there very easy. You have to do one layover south of Santiago. It's some little bus station in the middle of nowhere. I may remember the town name later. Very small station and nothing around you, just some guy selling food out of a cart. I sat there for about two hours but there might have been bus mechanical trouble that day.

You do have to pay attention to make sure you get off at your layover bus stop, otherwise you'll end up in Santo Domingo. And they don't announce the stops.

That would be La Vega, it is about half an hour south of Santiago.

drdreamer
03-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm told that it's a tough hike up Pico Duarte.

You sure you want to do it after 3 nights in Sosua?:wink:

Do a search on DR1.com for reports from guys that have done it.

Fortunately for him, the "Canadian crew" will not be in town. He did attempt to keep up on Apr 2010....:rolleyes:
He did keep the chicas busy thou. He was nailing 2 or 3 a day...:iconTU:

uncle ruckus
03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
There's not much in terms of nightlife in Jarabacoa, but if your spanish is decent enough, check out a locals bar and you'll probably find some of the most beautiful women you've ever seen.

IME, there are very few ugly women in Jarabacoa!

Madiran745
03-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Thank you all for the info. Will practice my spanish and will do my best to maintain the "Canadian crew" rep :corky:

Madiran745
03-22-2011, 12:15 AM
I first met DrDreamer when we shared a cab from the airport to NG and the very first thing he asked me is "are you a drinker?" lmao.

ErikS
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I'll be back in the DR 5-20 April. Planning a trip up Pico Duarte with a group (including JD_Mine & Tony Toca) sometime during this visit.
PM me if you want to join us.

jose1234
03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
I did it with a bunch of other Dominicans and I don't know the company that did the trip. I can tell you that the length of the trip depends upon where you begin the hike. The trip I took lasted seven days on donkey... two days up to base camp... a day of rest. a day up to the top of both peaks and back. another day of rest and then two days back. I fell off the donkey three times....LOL

It was freaking cold up on top of the mountain...negative six Centigrade...the day in the sun is ok and not too cold, but come night the temperature drops and it gets freaking cold... I mean warm sleeping bag, winter coat, gloves and hat are essential... I slept in a tent, but there are some very rustic/dilapidated cabins... The mountain is beautiful and you will love the trip, but if you hike...you had better be in some sort of shape. Also, realize that there is no safety and you can get hurt... Two out of the twenty people I went with were injured during the trip. Also, bring lots of Brugal... :)

Madiran745
03-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I'll be back in the DR 5-20 April. Planning a trip up Pico Duarte with a group (including JD_Mine & Tony Toca) sometime during this visit.
PM me if you want to join us.

Check your PM

Sidney
03-27-2011, 01:00 PM
I'll be visiting Sosua April 7 to 17 and I'm planning on doing a side trip to Jarabacoa to climb Pico Duarte April 10 to 12. I'm considering booking the climb with Rancho Baiguate. Does anyone have any advice on transportation from Sosua to Jarabacoa and Pico Duarte in general?
My brother made the climb. He hired a guide, stayed overnight and ate with the family, half-way up.:smile:

Madiran745
04-26-2011, 09:19 PM
UPDATE: I did do the Pico Duarte climb. I used Caribe Tour from Sosua to La Vega to Jarabacoa. It was easy enough and only 290 each way. I did the climb in 2 days (48 kms) and it was a very demanding hike up as I didn't ride the mule. I did ride the mule for part of the way down due to a minor injury I didn't want to aggrevate. I don't recommend doing it over 2 days and if I was to redo it I'd do it over 3 days. Even my guides said it was nuts to do it in 2 days. Thankfully I had 3 days to "rest" in Sosua after the climb. Overall it was a great experience.

eldorob
04-26-2011, 09:43 PM
UPDATE: I did do the Pico Duarte climb. I used Caribe Tour from Sosua to La Vega to Jarabacoa. It was easy enough and only 290 each way..

290 what?

How'd you like the la Vega bus station? I'll bet you got some awesome pics...(hint)

weyland
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Three of our senior members did this hike a week ago. Wait for their report (hopefully with pics). They should have lots of useful info for you. Do not underestimate the difficulty and possible problems. Not to be undertaken on a wing and a prayer.

Hunter
04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Three of our senior members did this hike a week ago. Wait for their report (hopefully with pics). They should have lots of useful info for you. Do not underestimate the difficulty and possible problems. Not to be undertaken on a wing and a prayer.

I know Tony was on a mule on the way up AND down :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

weyland
04-27-2011, 03:11 PM
I know Tony was on a mule on the way up AND down :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yes, but not because he wasn't fit. He was trying to hump it.

Sidney
04-27-2011, 06:00 PM
UPDATE: I did do the Pico Duarte climb. I used Caribe Tour from Sosua to La Vega to Jarabacoa. It was easy enough and only 290 each way. I did the climb in 2 days (48 kms) and it was a very demanding hike up as I didn't ride the mule. I did ride the mule for part of the way down due to a minor injury I didn't want to aggrevate. I don't recommend doing it over 2 days and if I was to redo it I'd do it over 3 days. Even my guides said it was nuts to do it in 2 days. Thankfully I had 3 days to "rest" in Sosua after the climb. Overall it was a great experience.
My brother, a 60 year old very experienced hiker, walked it in 2 days and enjoyed it.:smile:

Irie
11-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I met Madiran last week and winged most of the week with him. He's good people and has some great non mongering stories and pics to share.

Besides the Pico Duarte thing, he shared his pics with me of his climb of Kilimanjaro. Very interesting.

jose1234
11-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I met Madiran last week and winged most of the week with him. He's good people and has some great non mongering stories and pics to share.

Besides the Pico Duarte thing, he shared his pics with me of his climb of Kilimanjaro. Very interesting.

Yes, I met him twice briefly and he is a very good guy... Easy going and good to talk with...

I did Pico Duarte almost two years ago. There are two starting points. One which is a two to three day trip from the east side and one that is a six day trip from the other side. I did the six day trip, which included about two days up to a summit area, a day of rest, a day up to the summits of Pico Duarte and its sister peak, which is basically just as high and then back down to the summit and then two days back. I took the mule/donkey (fuck if I know the difference or care) and it was a tough trip up and down climbs and along steep cliffs. It had beautiful views when I could catch my breath. I fell off the donkey at least three times and froze my ass off up on the peak and summit... We are talking winter coats up there as it gets to zero or sub zero at night (Celsius). Would do it again if it were not so darn dangerous from the long side. I was invited to go the first week of January 2013 which is the dry season for that particular part of the island. I declined the invitation, but its generally considered a mark of manhood to do that trip if you carry a donkey load of Brugal and drink it straight with your Dominican amigos... :)

Irie
11-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes, I met him twice briefly and he is a very good guy... Easy going and good to talk with...

The biggest "mountains" I'm planning on climbing are vendor row at playa sosua or at the Tradewinds. :rofl:

I hope he plans on sharing his story.