PDA

View Full Version : Exchange Rate In DR: May 2005

will_blueprint
05-02-2005, 11:27 AM
The rate is 28.7 today, this is the highest I have seen in a while, hope it continues to go up.

Dark Knight
05-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah October is a long way off ,I hope it hits 50 again!

BrooklynBeas
05-02-2005, 01:52 PM

Not gonna happen unless Leonel gets assassinated... Im just hopin for 35-1 like it was supposed to be around this time...

BigTrick
05-02-2005, 02:01 PM

Not gonna happen unless Leonel gets assassinated... Im just hopin for 35-1 like it was supposed to be around this time...

35/1 does sound good right bout now.....We have been in the 20's way too long

BrooklynBeas
05-02-2005, 02:07 PM

yeah it needs to be a simple conversion too... Like 33-1 would be OK then i know 100 pesos is $3 USD... simple.... that means 1000- $30 for TLN! :D

BigTrick
05-02-2005, 04:12 PM

yeah it needs to be a simple conversion too... Like 33-1 would be OK then i know 100 pesos is $3 USD... simple.... that means 1000- $30 for TLN! :D

The simplest conversion is 50/1 :D

Reel Deal
05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Expect the 27:1 +- 10% to continue for a while...

The Central Bank is sitting on a lot of pesos right now; they won't flood the economy with them as the long-term plan to curb inflation is beginning to work.

The banks are not renewing CDS's in US$ at the former high rates (24+%). Up to this point, a business would have to earn a ROI of that % or more to consider re-investing in their business (i.e.: a business has US$100,000 in retained earnings. If he bought a simple CD, he'd make US$ 2,000 per month; what internal investment could he make for that kind of return? Not many). With inflation in check and cash deposits no longer making really high returns, businesses will have much greater incentive to re-invest earnings, therefore growing the entire economy (assuming normal or increased currency velocities). That, in turn, will create increased demand on US$, perhaps creating upward pressure on currency exchange rates.

You gotta be patient. What is good for the DR economy will be good for us long term.

Just saying what the rates "should" be based on nothing is just pissing into the wind hoping you don't get wet.

BrooklynBeas
05-02-2005, 04:57 PM

The simplest conversion is 50/1 :D

Oh i know but im just being realistic.... $2 haircuts and $10 Short times are great! but ill settle for $3 and $15 respectively

Kevy
05-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Where did you guys get 28.7? I got 28.3 at Judy's yesterday, maybe in Santiago you can get teh higher rate.

BrooklynBeas
05-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Where did you guys get 28.7? I got 28.3 at Judy's yesterday, maybe in Santiago you can get teh higher rate.

i always get at least 1/2 a peso more to the dollar in STI

BigTrick
05-03-2005, 01:09 PM

Where in STI...the airport?

BrooklynBeas
05-03-2005, 02:43 PM

Nah my friend takes me to some park... Some guys sit out there and he has a desk peso's and a gun...

Don Tomas
05-03-2005, 05:50 PM

Nah my friend takes me to some park... Some guys sit out there and he has a desk peso's and a gun...

What park? I always go to San Luis for the street changers.

BrooklynBeas
05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
i wish i knew the name but i dont... I actually have no clue how to get there either but i would know i was there if you took me ... sorry

the_Jayman
05-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Not to go off-topic or nuthin . . . but

mention of my 1, 2 3 post (to up my count) was brought up recently (wsj) . . . . how is this any fuckin different ? ? ? and I see it 50 times a day . . .

i wish i knew the name but i dont... I actually have no clue how to get there either but i would know i was there if you took me ... sorry

must you answer every fuckin post ? ? ? and if you must . . . then must you delete mine ? ?

(yeah I'm drinkin and the lawyer called me today . . . ) = cranky

WSJ3
05-04-2005, 07:20 AM

mention of my 1, 2 3 post (to up my count) was brought up recently (wsj) . . . . how is this any fuckin different ? ? ? and I see it 50 times a day . . .

Yeah I mentioned it but you are still my HERO Jayman...

Look at it this way you were probably drunk when you were doing that...

:wav:

BrooklynBeas
05-04-2005, 09:56 AM

must you answer every fuckin post ? ? ? and if you must . . . then must you delete mine ? ?

im confused... Who deleted your post?

the_Jayman
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM

AN APOLOGY TO BEAS AND THIS BOARD

I was gonna do this in a PM but thought I should put it out for all to see, my embarrassment . . .

I was cranky and drinkin and snapped at Thailand Beas . . . (I do that from time to time)

Sorry man I was WAY out of line . . .

you know I'll make it up to you at the BJ bar on Soi 6
:jayman:

BrooklynBeas
05-04-2005, 10:22 PM

AN APOLOGY TO BEAS AND THIS BOARD

I was gonna do this in a PM but thought I should put it out for all to see, my embarrassment . . .

I was cranky and drinkin and snapped at Thailand Beas . . . (I do that from time to time)

Sorry man I was WAY out of line . . .

you know I'll make it up to you at the BJ bar on Soi 6
:jayman:

Im not goin to Thialand... Your gonna have to make it up to me in BB's at the party we have planned tonight! :evil: NOVEMBER... Cumming soon!

the_Jayman
05-04-2005, 10:32 PM
THEN BLACK BEARDS BEAS IT IS ! !

:eldrunko:

BrooklynBeas
05-04-2005, 10:34 PM
THEN BLACK BEARDS BEAS IT IS ! !

:eldrunko:

FUck that i dont want a drink i want head and i want to cum in the jacuzzi even though its not allowed! its my birthdAY! bITCHES! Im drunk ... ok im not drunk im just drinkin.. Captain morgan straight shots... Wow im a light weight... Shit i hve to work tomorrow...

bandera
05-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Seems to me that the exchange rate moves seasonally. During the "in season" tourist times it is low. During hurricane season May - Septemberish it is high.

I have seen this over the last two years, waiting to see if it plays again this year. If it does, I say buy pesos now and hold to the winter.

*note: past history is not necessarily indicative of future performance. foreign exchange trading is risky or something like that so say the Fing lawyers...

But WTF do i know there are much smarter people on this board. All I know is last summer it was 50-60 pesos to $1.00. It seems to be moving again and it the beginning of the summer. Time will tell I guess.

JDR
05-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Seems to me that the exchange rate moves seasonally. During the "in season" tourist times it is low. During hurricane season May - Septemberish it is high.

I have seen this over the last two years, waiting to see if it plays again this year. If it does, I say buy pesos now and hold to the winter.

*note: past history is not necessarily indicative of future performance. foreign exchange trading is risky or something like that so say the Fing lawyers...

But WTF do i know there are much smarter people on this board. All I know is last summer it was 50-60 pesos to $1.00. It seems to be moving again and it the beginning of the summer. Time will tell I guess.

The last President was the worst that they ever had, bad example really.

continentalmike
05-06-2005, 11:31 AM
See this link:

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=USD&to=DOP&amt=1&t=2y

No real pattern here?

psriches
10-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Current exchange rate in DR (Oct 8th 2008): 35.20

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h240/obsti/5yMedium.jpg

Jimbo44
10-08-2008, 11:44 PM
35 is the best I ever seen it , and I only been goinf since 11/06. Will be back in 5 more weeks.

elsucio
10-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Got 34.8 yesterday over by Playero

psriches
12-15-2008, 09:01 PM
SOSUA NEWS
14 December 2008

Peso comes under pressure

Since Dominicans abroad are sending less money (dollars and euros) home to the families here, tourism is falling slightly, and exports (of bananas to Europe, for example) have dropped, there is less foreign currency in the country.

The Dominican Republic imports almost everything, and needs to pay for these items in dollars or euros. As there is less foreign currency coming into the country, this pushes up the peso. In order to buy dollars for imports, companies are now paying more pesos for foreign currency.

In order to prevent this, the national bank plans to keep the peso stable (at 35.5 per dollar) by injecting 50-100 million dollars into the market. However, if the crisis continues for a long period, the central bank will not have sufficient funds to continue this strategy. So, at some point, the peso will probably be devalued.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2008/12/14-12_money.jpg (http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2008/12/14-12_money.jpg)

Tourists will temporarily find prices lower, as they get more pesos for their dollars or euros, but, the import situation will mean that prices will rise quickly, and tourists will not really benefit.

However, for Dominicans (who are paid in pesos) this will be disastrous - they will see prices in the shops being doubled, but their salaries don't keep up with inflation.

cainer
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
SOSUA NEWS
14 December 2008

Peso comes under pressure

Since Dominicans abroad are sending less money (dollars and euros) home to the families here, tourism is falling slightly, and exports (of bananas to Europe, for example) have dropped, there is less foreign currency in the country.

The Dominican Republic imports almost everything, and needs to pay for these items in dollars or euros. As there is less foreign currency coming into the country, this pushes up the peso. In order to buy dollars for imports, companies are now paying more pesos for foreign currency.

In order to prevent this, the national bank plans to keep the peso stable (at 35.5 per dollar) by injecting 50-100 million dollars into the market. However, if the crisis continues for a long period, the central bank will not have sufficient funds to continue this strategy. So, at some point, the peso will probably be devalued.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2008/12/14-12_money.jpg (http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2008/12/14-12_money.jpg)

Tourists will temporarily find prices lower, as they get more pesos for their dollars or euros, but, the import situation will mean that prices will rise quickly, and tourists will not really benefit.

However, for Dominicans (who are paid in pesos) this will be disastrous - they will see prices in the shops being doubled, but their salaries don't keep up with inflation.

This next year in the DR should be interesting to say the least.

Usually when the peso loses value and the american dollar rises, so do the chica prices. However, with this depression, tourism is going to be way down compared to years past. So, its hard to see how 500 chicas that go home each night alone can really afford to raise their prices to compensate the devalueing of the peso.

Should be an interesting year, to see what happens.

eastcoastallstar
12-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Crime will be on the rise, putas are going to be desperate and maybe the non pro action will go thru the roof.

Beads
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
The rules for supply and demand will eventually kick in.

MyTio
01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
just check on line looks like the Dollar is gaining on the peso
Monday, January 12, 2009
1 US Dollar = 36.73484 Dominican R. Peso :eek:

Choirboy
01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
just check on line looks like the Dollar is gaining on the peso
Monday, January 12, 2009
1 US Dollar = 36.73484 Dominican R. Peso :eek:

In Sosua last week they were paying between 35.1 and 35.2.

Yahoo is showing the exchange at 35.35 today (jan.12) http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?amt=1&from=USD&to=DOP&submit=Convert

Hoseman
01-12-2009, 04:50 PM
In Sosua last week they were paying between 35.1 and 35.2.

Yahoo is showing the exchange at 35.35 today (jan.12) http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?amt=1&from=USD&to=DOP&submit=Convert (http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converter?amt=1&from=USD&to=DOP&submit=Convert[/quote) Thats what it was on XE but it was 36.1 Friday

Choirboy
01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
[/URL] Thats what it was on XE but it was 36.1 Friday

What it says on XE and what you can get in Sosua are two different things.

Hoseman
01-12-2009, 06:06 PM
What it says on XE and what you can get in Sosua are two different things.Yeah I know but I use it as a guide.