PDA

View Full Version : US passports needed for the DR...Jan. 2007

Ram
10-05-2006, 10:33 AM
This is for the US, not sure about Canada yet?

Passports . . . IMPORTANT NEWS!
Effective January 2007, all U.S. travelers must have a passport to travel to the Dominican Republic.

Off DR1

1. US decision "is category 6 hurricane"
The Secretary General of the Caribbean Tourism Organization is comparing the recent US government decision to apply the passport requirement to the Caribbean only in the case of air travel to "a category 6 hurricane". Yesterday, the US Congress approved an amendment that discriminates against hotel-based tourism in the Caribbean. The amendment delays the implementation of the new passport requirement for land crossings at the Mexican and Canadian borders until 1 June 2009, as well as the requirement for cruise passengers coming to the US from the Caribbean. However, all US citizens traveling by air to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada or Bermuda must carry a passport by 8 January 2007.
Commenting on the decision, Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace said yesterday:
"Needless to say, the affected Caribbean nations are extremely disappointed with this outcome because the potential economic impact on their business could be catastrophic. We understand that some of those affected destinations will be making their own statements and taking some specific action on this matter.
"It is incomprehensible that the United States Government would approve an amendment that excludes air arrivals from the Caribbean and thereby grant an additional advantage to cruise lines in the Caribbean which already enjoy a significant competitive advantage, especially in light of the fact that the cruise lines supported the inclusion of air arrivals also. We know that all the affected governments made their own representation through several diplomatic channels as recently as last Wednesday prior to the final vote on this bill. Because of the potential far-ranging effect of this action, there is nothing potentially more devastating. This is a category 6 hurricane."

whynotme
10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
might actually lower air fare for those that have passports until everyone gets theirs. supply and demand

Jimmydr
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Every American on this board should have 1. They are good for 10 years and you never know when you might just go!

blacksultan
10-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Every American on this board should have 1. They are good for 10 years and you never know when you might just go!

no passport=no juicy dominicana chocha.

JD
10-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Get it.

Got IT?

Good,

JD

GokuSS
01-05-2007, 10:57 PM
For us mongers, this could be a good thing. Supply and demand could drive prices down in every catagory including the exchange rate.

psriches
01-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Is it January 8th or 23rd???? Was the date changed?

MisterPink
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
January 23rd, it was moved up.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

mp

GokuSS
01-08-2007, 10:49 PM
i've been watching the currency exchange rates for the DR peso and today the peso spiked from 33.75 to 34.25 to 1. The peso has been slowly loosing value for sever months but this is a large spike. I hope this continues but I wonder what is driving it?

whynotme
01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
i've been watching the currency exchange rates for the DR peso and today the peso spiked from 33.75 to 34.25 to 1. The peso has been slowly loosing value for sever months but this is a large spike. I hope this continues but I wonder what is driving it?

less tourists always slows down the economy coupled with the passport requirements means even less tourists for awhile.
air fare seems to have dropped this month
LM called to say pop is under $100 from toronto this week
and sunseekers is offering cuba for $112 as well :mrgreen:

Cuba Libre
01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
i've been watching the currency exchange rates for the DR peso and today the peso spiked from 33.75 to 34.25 to 1. The peso has been slowly loosing value for sever months but this is a large spike. I hope this continues but I wonder what is driving it?It's been fluctuating between 32 & 34.5 for the last year. Up to now there hasn't been any clear pattern.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?from=USD&to=DOP&amt=1&t=1y

moshy2k
01-09-2007, 07:52 PM
I got 33.5 during my trip Jan 3rd-9th.