PDA

View Full Version : Part 1 Upgrade Done

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 03:34 AM
Please report any issues (not requests) here:

Everything should look the same and function normally.

The next upgrade will be much longer, probably 24-48 hours and will most likely be next weekend.

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 03:50 AM
I tried with a regular user account and certain forums (ie. ISOC Welcome Forum) show "Private" but I can still access them if I have appropriate access. Can anyone confirm.

Please list your access, thanks.

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 03:59 AM
BTW Quick Reboot.

bklyndrguy
04-10-2011, 04:52 AM
so far so good :)

PapiQueRico
04-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Links seem to be out of format in the posts. For example in the HO Down thread all of the links to youtube do not work.

XXX
04-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Where is the "Todays posts " Tab ???

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Where is the "Todays posts " Tab ???

I only see new posts.

XXX
04-10-2011, 08:23 AM
I only see new posts.

I tried posting something in my thread,,, but then it doesnt show as a new post,, or a todays post.

The only way I could get to my thread,, was to go to awesome trip reports,,,, not in new posts ???

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 08:41 AM
The thank you button is now on the right but as the upgrades move along, things will get back to normal.

XXX
04-10-2011, 08:47 AM
But if you post something in any forum,,,, shouldn't it show up as a overall new post ???

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 08:48 AM
But if you post something in any forum,,,, shouldn't it show up as a overall new post ???

The upgrades are not done. Things get shut off or moved around.

LM
04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Definitely need the "Todays Posts"" back....lost without it.....use it all the time...

Thanks DT for the work....

XXX
04-10-2011, 08:52 AM
The upgrades are not done. Things get shut off or moved around.

Thats cool jimmy,,,,, thought it might be something i'm doing wrong,,,,as usual .:rolleyes:

XXX
04-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Definitely need the "Todays Posts"" back....lost without it.....use it all the time...

I DEFINATELY agree with that LM !!

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Thats cool jimmy,,,,, thought it might be something i'm doing wrong,,,,as usual .:rolleyes:

These things take a while. They are down once or twice a year.

When you pay for software you get your monies worth.

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Well I am lost without the board.:(

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Just hit new posts and then click the link you will get if there are no new posts, for now.

gdogg
04-10-2011, 09:04 AM
The thank you button is now on the right but as the upgrades move along, things will get back to normal.

That's the only thing that's throwing me off (so far). I'm trying to "thank" but end up editing. If that's the worst problem, then I'll live.
:lol:

DT...how ya been?

Kevy
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM
I got this when I tried to mark forums read

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid

Kevy
04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
That's the only thing that's throwing me off (so far). I'm trying to "thank" but end up editing. If that's the worst problem, then I'll live.
:lol:

DT...how ya been?

Thanks has been moved to the far right.

gdogg
04-10-2011, 09:54 AM

No duh. Did you see the post I was responding to?

LM
04-10-2011, 09:54 AM

I got the same thing when I tried earlier this morning

Kevy
04-10-2011, 09:58 AM
No duh. Did you see the post I was responding to?

no I didn't too much reading.

LM
04-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Maybe we can bring back a version of the "Fuck You" button.....

Maybe..."No Thanks" or "Don't Agree" or something similar....

Or replacing the "Thanks" button with :iconTU: and :icontd:

Hunter
04-10-2011, 11:04 AM

You cant function without it....Please bring back ASAP....

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 11:05 AM
You cant function without it....Please bring back ASAP....

Well we can't function without the upgrades so it shall wait.:rolleyes:

Hunter
04-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Well we can't function without the upgrades so it shall wait.:rolleyes:

The board is disfunctional without it....so please make that priority #1....

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 11:13 AM
The board is disfunctional without it....so please make that priority #1....

Its actually not. You click last posts and then follow the link that gives you all posts.

Jimmydr
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Sorry, there are no new threads to view.

You may search for threads updated during the previous 24 hours, here (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/search.php?do=getdaily).

LM
04-10-2011, 11:18 AM

You may search for threads updated during the previous 24 hours, here (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/search.php?do=getdaily).

That works...thanks

Hunter
04-10-2011, 11:41 AM

OK...that is the same...thanks...

For those who want this...I clicked that link...Then saved that as a bookmark in your browser...then click on that bookmark everytime...

JuanElGriego
04-10-2011, 12:12 PM

This has been driving me crazy since i logged on this morning.

I keep trying to thank people and keep quoting them instead. :mad:

JuanElGriego
04-10-2011, 12:15 PM

I don't think that would be such a good idea.

The board is testy as it is and at least people can ignore something they don't particularly like or agree with. Giving them the option to simply click a 'f-u' or 'thumbs down' button would be very irresistable (especially to the shit-stirrers) and i don't think we really need that. Just my .02

Hunter
04-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Board Suggestion for DT...

I would completely remove all NewsWhore sections....

No one ever reads them...seems to be waste of bandwidth....

ElPlomero
04-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't think that would be such a good idea.

The board is testy as it is and at least people can ignore something they don't particularly like or agree with. Giving them the option to simply click a 'f-u' or 'thumbs down' button would be very irresistable (especially to the shit-stirrers) and i don't think we really need that. Just my .02

On the other hand... if you're going to have a mechanism to indicate your acceptance and/or agreement with the contents of a post, shouldn't there be a way to indicate that while you may acknowledge the poster's right to express his opinion... he doesn't speak for you?

It's not like we're not big boys and can take a little disagreement.

And... it's not like the board is exactly structured to provide a drama free experience.

In fact... drama might be reduced by allowing one to express disagreement with a post without words being exchanged and tempers subsequently flaring.

LJDMV
04-10-2011, 12:22 PM

i agree, i am lost without it..

Cummins4500
04-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey guys! My brother told me you guys are doing an upgrade. I'm guessing from v3 to v4? I've done a number of these upgrades and they can go easy or be a PITA. What decides that is the number of hacks/mods you have, and I think ISOC has a number of them so the upgrade will likely not be as easy as executing the VB upgrade code.

If I could humbly suggest some things from my experiences, my approach would be something like this. I'd first do the upgrade on a duplicate offline site. WAMP is a great utility that enables you to do everything locally and run the same versions of MySQL, Apache and PHP the online server is running so you don't get any surprises (this is very important as the newer version has different min requirements). Once you get a copy of the site running locally then turn off/disable every mod and hack, if you can. You want to bring the board back to a near clean version v3 install. Then run the vb upgrade files and test the board. If you've modded the template files you'll need to noodle through each one and update. vb has a built in compare utility but I use Beyond Compare which helps with the larger code pages. Only after the templates are updated & working would I start enabling the mods. I'd do 1 at a time. Remember, some mods will need to be uninstalled and a newer updated version installed compatible with v4. Most can be found at vbulletin.org. If this is the case the mod should have been uninstalled before running v3-v4 upgrade. When done with the first hack, enable another one and fix. Do 1 mod at a time. Once you get all the mods running, you should have a fully documented (hopefully you wrote down what was done) path for the upgrade. I usually do the upgrade again, a second time locally proofing my notes/code changes. Finally, when you are ready for upgrading the live side, disable the live board, make another FULL backup and then run the backup/upgrade from your notes. Using this methodology should enable you to upgrade the live site in the least amount time with minimum downtime and least amount of headaches.

Sorry if the above is trivial for the mods here (they probably are). Just thought I'd throw some of ideas/concepts out there in a slight chance they may help.

Good luck! ;)

JuanElGriego
04-10-2011, 01:03 PM
On the other hand... if you're going to have a mechanism to indicate your acceptance and/or agreement with the contents of a post, shouldn't there be a way to indicate that while you may acknowledge the poster's right to express his opinion... he doesn't speak for you?

Yes, you can just post exactly what you just stated, if you feel the need to.

In fact... drama might be reduced by allowing one to express disagreement with a post without words being exchanged and tempers subsequently flaring.

This is the part i completely disagree with. Allowing people the freedom to click on an FU button or Thumbs Down button is basically a lazy, passive-aggressive act. Either say what you disagree with or don't say anything. Clicking on such a button doesn't really specifiy what issue you might have with any part (or whole) of a post and it would only lead to exchanges as (what's your problem, fuck you too, why u give me a thumbs down, blah blah blah). At least now guys can either reply to a post or any specific part of that post, or decide to leave it alone. Best that way, i think.

LM
04-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Agree with that one.......Never read that stuff

..but you can filter them out through your control panel

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Links seem to be out of format in the posts. For example in the HO Down thread all of the links to youtube do not work.

Can you link me the "HO Down" thread in question.

PapiQueRico
04-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Here you go DT:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=332808

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Looking into this issue.

Jimmy's Call

Well they are hidden from New/Today's Posts. We definitely have no bandwidth or storage issues.

Hey guys! My brother told me you guys are doing an upgrade. I'm guessing from v3 to v4? I've done a number of these upgrades and they can go easy or be a PITA. What decides that is the number of hacks/mods you have, and I think ISOC has a number of them so the upgrade will likely not be as easy as executing the VB upgrade code.

If I could humbly suggest some things from my experiences, my approach would be something like this. I'd first do the upgrade on a duplicate offline site. WAMP is a great utility that enables you to do everything locally and run the same versions of MySQL, Apache and PHP the online server is running so you don't get any surprises (this is very important as the newer version has different min requirements). Once you get a copy of the site running locally then turn off/disable every mod and hack, if you can. You want to bring the board back to a near clean version v3 install. Then run the vb upgrade files and test the board. If you've modded the template files you'll need to noodle through each one and update. vb has a built in compare utility but I use Beyond Compare which helps with the larger code pages. Only after the templates are updated & working would I start enabling the mods. I'd do 1 at a time. Remember, some mods will need to be uninstalled and a newer updated version installed compatible with v4. Most can be found at vbulletin.org. If this is the case the mod should have been uninstalled before running v3-v4 upgrade. When done with the first hack, enable another one and fix. Do 1 mod at a time. Once you get all the mods running, you should have a fully documented (hopefully you wrote down what was done) path for the upgrade. I usually do the upgrade again, a second time locally proofing my notes/code changes. Finally, when you are ready for upgrading the live side, disable the live board, make another FULL backup and then run the backup/upgrade from your notes. Using this methodology should enable you to upgrade the live site in the least amount time with minimum downtime and least amount of headaches.

Sorry if the above is trivial for the mods here (they probably are). Just thought I'd throw some of ideas/concepts out there in a slight chance they may help.

Good luck! ;)

Way ahead of you kind sir, there is a 4.x version running on the server for the past 6 months for my sandbox.

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks button moved back

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 03:45 PM

BTW I forgot the other important reason I keep them around. SEO! Search Engines can read all those posts with links to other sites which makes us more popular on the net.

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 04:07 PM

Ok half done, not sure why it's not working in the other spot. If you goto Quick Links on the navbar and Mark Forums Read it works fine. If you try to use the one at the bottom of forum home it doesn't.

Still looking into it.

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Here you go DT:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=332808

This is a bigger issue. The old "convert youtube links" wasn't compatible with the new forums. So I installed another one. I will need to dig deep to find out why it's not working correctly. For now Copy & Paste into a new window.

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Ok half done, not sure why it's not working in the other spot. If you goto Quick Links on the navbar and Mark Forums Read it works fine. If you try to use the one at the bottom of forum home it doesn't.

Still looking into it.
FUCK MICROSOFT!

It's the correct link in Firefox with DT. But IE still shows the bad link with Claudia.

Looks like I need to delete all my cache locally. CTRL+F5 didn't work.

Kevy
04-10-2011, 04:14 PM
FUCK MICROSOFT!

It's the correct link in Firefox with DT. But IE still shows the bad link with Claudia.

Looks like I need to delete all my cache locally. CTRL+F5 didn't work.

I am using CHrome and it is working now.

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Well it's like 80 degrees here and I need to do some work so I will be back in a few hours. The only open issue right now should be YouTube links reported by PQR. Please continue to report any other issues.

Hunter
04-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Well it's like 80 degrees here and I need to do some work so I will be back in a few hours. The only open issue right now should be YouTube links reported by PQR. Please continue to report any other issues.

ISOC logo missing....

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Any posts with YouTube links will break for a bit while I work on it please don't report the issue here!

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
TEST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNknGIKkoA&feature=related

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNknGIKkoA&feature=related

Don Tomas
04-10-2011, 08:41 PM

ALL FIXED!

Kevy
04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Xemendave got banned for nothing by Vbulletin and is now no longer showing green? Any ideas?

Don Tomas
04-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Xemendave got banned for nothing by Vbulletin and is now no longer showing green? Any ideas?

I will contact him for more info...

Hunter
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
More NewsWhore suggestions:

Can you delete the Newswhore posts from coming up in the search engine...

When you look for generic terms all the newshore posts come up...annoying

Or delete them altogether even if you have the bandwidth :p

JuanElGriego
04-13-2011, 09:19 PM

Maybe he tested positive for 'roids??

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

joeysterr
04-14-2011, 05:42 AM

Shredder as well. Just wondering

joeysterr
04-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Also, I haven't been receiving any PM notification email and forum update notifications email neither for the last 2 weeks+. I tried to uncheck and check the option and saved but it never worked back. Does anyone else still do? my email domain is @hotmail.com

Kevy
04-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Also, I haven't been receiving any PM notification email and forum update notifications email neither for the last 2 weeks+. I tried to uncheck and check the option and saved but it never worked back. Does anyone else still do? my email domain is @hotmail.com

I am still getting them at Yahoo.

gdogg
04-14-2011, 09:21 AM

There have been issues with Hotmail in the past.

MrHappy
04-14-2011, 01:46 PM
All of the emails I receive from threads I subscribe to have stopped.

I've gone from dozens of emails to zero..

whynotme
04-14-2011, 06:25 PM
All of the emails I receive from threads I subscribe to have stopped.

I've gone from dozens of emails to zero..
i have stayed steady at zero emails:eek::D

i don't subscibe to specific threads i just try to read em all:bigthumbup:

when i go on in the morning i just hit new posts and there they are:D

joeysterr
04-14-2011, 09:32 PM

It's back!!! Thanks to the admins!!:iconTU:

MrHappy
04-15-2011, 07:31 AM

Here, here!!! I'm receiving mine again too.

Ain't nothing like having a "master of the universe" IT guy.

Don Tomas
04-15-2011, 04:40 PM

Here, here!!! I'm receiving mine again too.

Ain't nothing like having a "master of the universe" IT guy.

Yeah Hotmail lifted the ban, their "automated" software said it was spam.

Don Tomas
04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
More NewsWhore suggestions:

Can you delete the Newswhore posts from coming up in the search engine...

When you look for generic terms all the newshore posts come up...annoying

Or delete them altogether even if you have the bandwidth :p

Well making the forums unsearchable kinda defeats one purpose of having them. To make us more popular to search engine bots.

Jimmydr
04-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Well making the forums unsearchable kinda defeats one purpose of having them. To make us more popular to search engine bots.

In that case, leave them.

whynotme
04-16-2011, 01:39 PM
In that case, leave them.
i never see them anyway unless i have clicked all posts read and then go back and hit unread posts and then click the 'here ' button so it shouldnt be a biggy anyway:confused: