PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Dominican Residency

Mr Bambino
10-14-2006, 09:02 PM
I am looking to get my residence. I talked to one lawyer that said it would cost $1,300 US and take about 6 months. Does anyone know a lawyer that can do this cheaper and faster?

Thanks

Mr Bambino

Hemp
10-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I am looking to get my residence. I talked to one lawyer that said it would cost $1,300 US and take about 6 months. Does anyone know a lawyer that can do this cheaper and faster?

Thanks

Mr Bambino

opening a business there?

agua chico
10-14-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't know much about their laws, but if the wait is statutory there is no getting around the 6 month wait.

ajax718
10-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Mr. Bambino, I would speak to an ex-pat who is down there. They should know. If you find out, post the information here. I am interested in knowing myself

Mr Bambino
10-14-2006, 11:52 PM
I am looking to buy property there. I heard that if you get your residence, you can ship a car down there and a container of things tax free. This is why I want my residence.

Mr Bambino

Drjetman
10-15-2006, 04:04 AM

Thanks

Mr Bambino
You should ask that question on DR1.COM.They have lots of info on this subject so a search on that site would be helpful as well.Good luck!

Rocky
10-15-2006, 05:08 AM
You should ask that question on DR1.COM.They have lots of info on this subject so a search on that site would be helpful as well.Good luck!DR1 will definitely be the best source.
There are factors to consider.
When you go onto a new board and don't know all the players, and you get varying opinions, it makes it difficult to know what to believe.
There are many well informed long time posters there, but you might still get the wrong advice from a 1,000 plus poster.
Anyone can feel free to contact me through PM on this ISOC or DR1, if they need to know if they are "getting it straight".
It's always the most difficult part, when you make such a move, knowing who you can trust.
As for getting a residency with the hopes of bringing in a car and container, tax free, there are certain complications, including the container getting looted, and there are restrictions on the car.
For instance, it needs to be less than 5 years old, and you must have owned it for a minumum of 1 year.
Cars have been knowned to get stripped at the port, as well, not to mention, exhorbitant bribes being requested of you, to take possession of your goods.
Most people who do it, regret it, but not all.
You need a REALLY good connection, like a lawyer who has political clout.

Rubicon
10-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Ada Gomez
Plaza Central
Suite B-348-A
Tercer Nivel, Santo Domingo
809-683-1010 Ext. 222
Cell: 809-787-4852

I recently applied for residency during an August trip and was hooked up with this attorney by an expat in Puerto Plata. It turned out to be a fairly simple process thus far.

I took the Metro from POP to SD and her office was literally across the street from the bus station. I brought along my birth certificate (the original), passport, and a Certificate of Good Conduct from my local police station here in the states.
We signed a contract, I gave her US$400 in pesos (US$400 is due upon completion of residency for a total of US$800) and she turned me over to a driver who literally handled all paperwork during the process. We went to Immigration which required a blood test and urine sample, and then off to a radiologists office for a chest x-ray. All in all I think it took about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

I was told by the attorney that it would take approximately 4 months, although everything I'm reading is that it could take 6-8 months.

Outside of that, my understanding is that you don't actually get to import a vehicle (which is what I'm looking to do) tax free, but for a fraction of what you would be required to pay without the residency.

Additionally, the initial application is only for a temporary residency good for 1 year. Prior to the expiration of that one year you'll need to apply for a permanent residency, if you choose to do so.

Hope this helps.

Jimmydr
10-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I am looking to buy property there. I heard that if you get your residence, you can ship a car down there and a container of things tax free. This is why I want my residence.

Mr Bambino

First buy your property.

weyland
10-15-2006, 11:51 AM
We signed a contract ... for a total of US$800.

Additionally, the initial application is only for a temporary residency good for 1 year. Prior to the expiration of that one year you'll need to apply for a permanent residency

$800 seems a lot just for one year. Do you have to pay similar or even greater sums when you apply for the permanent residency?

Apart from slight tax advantages when bringing your own stuff in, what are the other advantages of having residency? Evidently it is worthwhile, but why?

Jimmydr
10-15-2006, 11:53 AM
$800 seems a lot just for one year. Do you have to pay similar or even greater sums when you apply for the permanent residency?

Apart from slight tax advantages when bringing your own stuff in, what are the other advantages of having residency? Obviously it is worthwhile, but why?

I was quoted $1,000 for the initial step.

weyland
10-15-2006, 11:55 AM
First buy your property.

... or first rent a property, then buy after a year or so? I am not expecting to buy until I have lived in the property or, at least, am very familiar with the immediate area for at least a year. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Jimmydr
10-15-2006, 11:57 AM
... or first rent a property, then buy after a year or so? I am not expecting to buy until I have lived in the property or, at least, am very familiar with the immediate area for at least a year. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

I was going 5 years before I bought land. Know what you are getting into before you buy.

weyland
10-15-2006, 11:58 AM
I was quoted $1,000 for the initial step.

Hi Jimmy

By "initial step" do you mean for the temporary residency, or for the first stage of the permanent after you already had the temporary?

Jimmydr
10-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi Jimmy

By "initial step" do you mean for the temporary residency, or for the first stage of the permanent after you already had the temporary?

Its residency not temporary residency. Its two steps and I was takling about the first step. Its as high as $1,500 for that first step.

Rocky
10-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Apart from slight tax advantages when bringing your own stuff in, what are the other advantages of having residency? Obviously it is worthwhile, but why?So you cannot be told to leave the country, for being an illegal alien, and to be able to get a driver's license.
Certain business transactions could require residency, such as borrowing from a bank.

Mr Bambino
10-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I thank all for there information. This really helps me. The main reason I want to get the residence is for importing the car. I wanted to take advantage of the tax free import. But if this is not the case, I do not really need the residency. I think I will do what Rocky said and find out more information on doing it with a good lawyer. From what I understood, I thought the tax was 100% of what the car is worth. So I could take a $15,000 car and sell it down there for $25,000 to $30,000 (as long as you owned the car for over a year). I have no idea if this is accurate.

Mr Bambino

ajax718
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
The only people I have heard of who receive a huge discount on tax for importing a car are the people who have the permit to be car salesman. From what I heard, importing a car is too expensive with the tax being up to 50% of the car value. This fee does not include the cost of shipping as well

ajax718
10-15-2006, 04:25 PM
I also heard if you buy any property, you should form a corporation first and have the property under the company's name in order protect it

Rubicon
10-15-2006, 04:49 PM
So you cannot be told to leave the country, for being an illegal alien, and to be able to get a driver's license.
Certain business transactions could require residency, such as borrowing from a bank.

Thanks, but also to avoid the inconvenience of the tourist card process. It's minor, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

I have been told so many things about the benefits of obtaining a residency that I just decided to go ahead and do it as I have reasons other than avoiding the tourist card charge and inconvenience, and find out for myself.

Rubicon
10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
The only people I have heard of who receive a huge discount on tax for importing a car are the people who have the permit to be car salesman. From what I heard, importing a car is too expensive with the tax being up to 50% of the car value. This fee does not include the cost of shipping as well

Based upon my calculations, had I just gone ahead and paid the tax to have my car imported when I first bought my home, I would have actually saved money. By the time I get around to getting my car imported I will have paid so much in car rental fees that I probably won't save in the end. But, I'll have my car, rather than some piece of shit whose history I don't, and probably never would, know.

ChicaRider
10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
THere's an attourney in Santiago who takes you to Santo Domingo to care of the paperwork, medical tests, etc. Several of my friends have used her. Her fee is $800. I cant think of her name right now, but anyone interested can PM me and I'll send the info.

Most people I know who have moved to the DR seem to go for their residency after about 6 months. I know a few people who have been there for years and haven't bothered. I'm starting my process this trip as I am spending more and more time there, and because of the few "benefits" mentioned by Rocky and others, I feel more comfortable doing business as a resident vs. a foreigner.

Without the residency, I have purchased property, started a Dominican corporation, and opened 3 bank accounts, so it's not absolutely *neccessary*, even to live there...

sosuaman
10-16-2006, 03:52 PM
dr1 has all the objective info you'll need,,,,,

Rocky
10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
THere's an attourney in Santiago who takes you to Santo Domingo. Several of my friends have used her. Her fee is $800. I cant think of her name right now,
Dolly Cabrera?

ChicaRider
10-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Dolly Cabrera?

yes, that's her...

Mr Bambino
10-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks that helps me out.

Mr Bambino

flydr2
12-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I used the services of this lawyer: Morillo 809-661-1781. The service was fast and I have recomended others to him with the same result.

He only speaks spanish but can arrange to have someone to translate.

Tell him Marc from Canada recomended you... He may give you a discount.

Hope this helps

Apos
12-01-2006, 08:56 AM
WELCOME TO THE ISOC!

thanks.

please continue to get involved.

we like Canadians here :)
I used the services of this lawyer: Morillo 809-661-1781. The service was fast and I have recomended others to him with the same result.

He only speaks spanish but can arrange to have someone to translate.

Tell him Marc from Canada recomended you... He may give you a discount.

Hope this helps

MrHappy
12-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Mr. Bambino, it depends on the car. Here's the link to the DR Gov't. website that will tell you how much you will pay in import taxes for your vehicle.

http://www.dga.gov.do/portal.net/DefaultDesktop.aspx?tabid=32

I still think you should buy something here....

MisterPink
12-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Dolly Cabrera in Santiago comes highly recommended as an attorney for residency. Several ex-pats use her.
I agree with Mr Happy about buying a car here vs importing.

MP

joeyboots
12-03-2006, 01:38 PM
I am looking to get my permanent residency I have my temporary. I have seen the posts for Ida Gomez and Morillo. Does anyone have any other suggestions? How about a contact number for Dolly Cabrera? I appreciate all input :)

Jimmydr
12-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I am looking to get my permanent residency I have my temporary. I have seen the posts for Ida Gomez and Morillo. Does anyone have any other suggestions? How about a contact number for Dolly Cabrera? I appreciate all input :)

On www.dr1.com you can get it if not here.

MisterPink
12-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I pmed you Joey

Rubicon
12-16-2006, 09:27 AM
I just received an e-mail that my residency is ready. Not too bad considering that I only applied in early August and at US $800.

I imagine that some people might question its legitimacy as the process didn't take very long and I didn't pay very much. I know some folks have been waiting 6-8 months, and are still waiting. So, I will put it to the test as soon as I receive it and see if I have any problems using it in my attempt to get a vehicle shipped down. I will also look to obtain a DR driver's license once I get the vehicle shipped.

I'll report on progress, or lack thereof.

Mr Bambino
12-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Rubicon,

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks

Mr Bambino

Rubicon
12-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Mr. Bambino, will do.

I'm going back down in about 12 days, so I'm going to contact the attorney on Monday to see if I can make an appointment while I'm there to finish the process (my understanding is that I'll have to make a couple of stops to obtain a couple of different documents, and possibly fingerprints). If I'm successful in getting the appointment while I'm there, I should be able to have something definitive by Jan 7.

Rubicon
01-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Just got back on Sunday, and now have my Dominican residency and cedula.

Took a total of 5 months and $800.00.

Next step is to ship my car down.

ajax718
01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the update Rubicon. Keep the info. coming. I hope to do the same some day

Mr Bambino
01-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks Rubicon,

Let us know how you make out with the car.

Mr Bambino

Tony Toca
01-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Just got back on Sunday, and now have my Dominican residency and cedula.

Took a total of 5 months and $800.00.

Next step is to ship my car down.

Rubicon, Bambino

This may not work, but one ave may be to have the car shipped to Puerto Rico (A US territory) and then bringing it into to the DR via that car ferry that goes from PR into Santo Domingo.

MisterPink
01-10-2007, 09:26 AM
You will not be able to register the car, or get insurance until you pay the duty.

The tax on an import is as much as 50% of the value of the car.
IMHO it is just not worth importing your car, unless you bought the car @ auction for a fraction of it's value.

mp

Rubicon
01-10-2007, 05:42 PM
TT, I'd rather go the required route so I have no problems later. The last thing I would want is to have my shit confiscated in the future and then have to watch one of the police who confiscated it rolling around in it.

MP, the primary reason for me obtaining my residency is because it will greatly reduce the amount of import tax on the vehicle. In fact, I checked on it yesterday and it is about US $2,600.00 in import tax with residency, as opposed to about US $12,000.00 w/o residency. I can well afford to ship a Jeep with 8,000 miles on it for a total of about US $5,000.00, than to spend at least US $20,000.00 in the DR for a vehicle with at least 40-50,000 miles on it, and who knows what kind of hidden wear and tear.

The biggest problem looks like it might actually be on this end. I went to the DMV today, as the shipper told me he needed a couple of documents from them to get the ball rolling. The DMV told me they don't know what in hell the shipper is talking about.

CHUCK WALLA
02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
i have found a lot of useful info on this subject at the following website

http://ascotadvisory.com/

MisterPink
02-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks Chuck!

Most of Ascot's website has not been updated in 10 year's, I am still trying to visit the Santo Domingo Stock Exchange.

mp