PDA

View Full Version : Motoconchos regulated

Apos
04-18-2011, 02:21 AM
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=2559&article=1

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2011/04/04-18_concho.jpg

17 April 2011
Motoconchos regulated
Wednesday April 13 was crowded at Sosúa City Hall. Ilana Neumann, the mayor of the beach town had all motoconchos (motorcycle taxi drivers) invited to the city hall where the new regulations for the branch were revealed. With the increase in unemployment many young people are forced to choose the profession of motoconcho. This has led to an uncontrolled number of motoconchos. There are far too many motoconchos which ruthlessly compete with each other and often ask far too high fares at the unsuspecting tourists. The mayor announced that henceforth only the motoconchos with a license are authorized to practice the profession. This license is handed out at the Town Hall. The motoconcho has to comply to a number of requirements. First the driver must purchase a reflective vest. Furthermore, two passport photographs, a certificate of good behaviour and a recommendation of the neighborhood association (vecinos de su barrio).

Ilana and the Motoconchos

Furthermore, the driver must possess a safety helmet and a proof that he has a motorcycle insurance is required. With these demands the municipal government hopes to regulate and improve the quality of the motorcycle taxi transport in Sosúa. The traffic police (AMET) has been ordered to strictly control the motoconchos for the possession of a license, wearing a reflective vest and a crash helmet.

Source: Sosúa-Online

princepointe
04-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Hmmmmm. Seems like a good thing.

CaseOne
04-18-2011, 09:24 AM
No talk of regulating fares...

weyland
04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
This fact should be sufficient to keep fares competitive:

There are far too many motoconchos which ruthlessly compete with each other
If punters still pay too much that is their fault.

I am no Sosúa expert but I would think 25 pesos would be about right for short trips like the Strip to Passions, or NG to the beach, and 50 pesos for longer trips like El Batéy centre to Los Charamicos and from The Palms to the beach. Would that be about right? If they aren't happy with those fares then they aren't "ruthlessly competing".

Double if two passengers or after 11.00pm?

papi_sosua
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Now here is a new idea: require motoconchos to provide a helmet for their passengers.

This morning, less than 2 hrs ago, I and my motoconchista hit the pavement of the autopista in Sosua when a moto in front of us unexpectedly swerved to the left.
Got lucky, scraps and bruises; nothing major. Could have been much worse.

P.S.: I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that the party responsible for the accident actually did stop and made sure we were ok. They could have just as well kept going.

papi_sosua
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Palms - Beach, 25p/ person;
Batey Centre - Charamicos, 30p/person.

Double for two passengers.

Add 5-10p/ passenger for after dark transportation (e.g., at night 70p discoteca - Palms for two).

This fact should be sufficient to keep fares competitive:

If punters still pay too much that is their fault.

I am no Sosúa expert but I would think 25 pesos would be about right for short trips like the Strip to Passions, or NG to the beach, and 50 pesos for longer trips like El Batéy centre to Los Charamicos and from The Palms to the beach. Would that be about right? If they aren't happy with those fares then they aren't "ruthlessly competing".

Double if two passengers or after 11.00pm?

weyland
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Palms - Beach, 25p/ person;
Batey Centre - Charamicos, 30p/person.

Double for two passengers.

Add 5-10p/ passenger for after dark transportation (e.g., at night 70p discoteca - Palms for two).
Well, if that is right that seems pretty reasonable. I don't think anyone should begrudge paying those prices. Thanks for the info.

Sidney
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I'll believe when I see it ! M.C's are the worst example that that I can imagine. They observe no laws. The Police enforce no laws!

papi_sosua
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I can assure you that this is what any of the locals would be willing/expected to pay pricewise.

However, even at these low prices, it still adds up especially when traveling with a companion. Hop onto a moto, say six times a day w/ a companion, and one is out of 300 p. Or 9,000 p a month!!

I am all for walking whenever feasible distance- and timewise. Yesterday I was walking, as many times before, from La Piedra to the Palms. The nice part is that I saved 60-70p in moto fare. The not so nice part was the moaning and groaning of the novia that she was about to die half-way.

One would think that Haitians are used to walking...!

Well, if that is right that seems pretty reasonable. I don't think anyone should begrudge paying those prices. Thanks for the info.

papi_sosua
04-18-2011, 04:17 PM
While moto fares are unregulated, everyone knows what the rates are. It is sort of unspoken...

In contrast, carro publico fares are highly regulated by their unions. Good!!! So are taxi fares from the airport. Not good!!!

DASBOOTY
04-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Click to see pic (http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2011/04/04-18_concho.jpg)

17 April 2011
Motoconchos regulated
Wednesday April 13 was crowded at Sosúa City Hall. Ilana Neumann, the mayor of the beach town had all motoconchos (motorcycle taxi drivers) invited to the city hall where the new regulations for the branch were revealed. With the increase in unemployment many young people are forced to choose the profession of motoconcho. This has led to an uncontrolled number of motoconchos. There are far too many motoconchos which ruthlessly compete with each other and often ask far too high fares at the unsuspecting tourists. The mayor announced that henceforth only the motoconchos with a license are authorized to practice the profession. This license is handed out at the Town Hall. The motoconcho has to comply to a number of requirements. First the driver must purchase a reflective vest. Furthermore, two passport photographs, a certificate of good behaviour and a recommendation of the neighborhood association (vecinos de su barrio).

Furthermore, the driver must possess a safety helmet and a proof that he has a motorcycle insurance is required. With these demands the municipal government hopes to regulate and improve the quality of the motorcycle taxi transport in Sosúa. The traffic police (AMET) has been ordered to strictly control the motoconchos for the possession of a license, wearing a reflective vest and a crash helmet.

These are good measures. Some of these guys are outright criminals.

I've had a couple of motoconchos try to sell me weed or coke and they were none to happy when I said no.

My favorita was robbed by a motoconcho in October. He took her cell phone and pulled her bracelets right off her hand, bloodying her knuckles.

donquixote
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
I can assure you that this is what any of the locals would be willing/expected to pay pricewise.

However, even at these low prices, it still adds up especially when traveling with a companion. Hop onto a moto, say six times a day w/ a companion, and one is out of 300 p. Or 9,000 p a month!!

I am all for walking whenever feasible distance- and timewise. Yesterday I was walking, as many times before, from La Piedra to the Palms. The nice part is that I saved 60-70p in moto fare. The not so nice part was the moaning and groaning of the novia that she was about to die half-way.

One would think that Haitians are used to walking...!

hi if you are in the palms in the next 2 days..say hello. i would like to officially meet you. i am in unit 27
don

weyland
04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
These are good measures. Some of these guys are outright criminals.
True, as posted, I have been robbed at knifepoint and mi favorita at gunpoint, both times in deserted areas after midnight.

I've had a couple of motoconchos try to sell me weed or coke and they were none to happy when I said no.

I have been coming to the DR for six years and have now lived here for one-and-a-half years and have never been offered any illegal substance. Would that be because I look like a hardened and ruthless user already assured of my own supply, like a feeble old fart to whom the merest whiff would instantly lay me on my back, too broke-ass to pay the price, or an icon of moral rectitude?

Seriously, I wonder what it is about some guys that attracts such attention from undesirables?

Jimmydr
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
True, as posted, I have been robbed at knifepoint and mi favorita at gunpoint, both times in deserted areas after midnight.

I have been coming to the DR for six years and have now lived here for one-and-a-half years and have never been offered any illegal substance. Would that be because I look like a hardened and ruthless user already assured of my own supply, like a feeble old fart to whom the merest whiff would instantly lay me on my back, too broke-ass to pay the price, or an icon of moral rectitude?

Seriously, I wonder what it is about some guys that attracts such attention from undesirables?

Being deaf helps.:eek:

MyTio
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I am a older traveler also weyland not as old as you :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl:seldom bothered by people to purchase drugs but other who I travel with have all younger then me they target the customer

DASBOOTY
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM

I have no idea why I attract these undesirables, Weyland :rofl::rofl:.

But one of the motoconchos who tried to sell me the shit spoke fluent English. Me thinks the guy may have been a Dominican who did time in the U.S. and then was deported back to the DR. I can see how a place like Sosua would attract the criminal element.

Dragonlorde
04-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Now here is a new idea: require motoconchos to provide a helmet for their passengers.

This morning, less than 2 hrs ago, I and my motoconchista hit the pavement of the autopista in Sosua when a moto in front of us unexpectedly swerved to the left.
Got lucky, scraps and bruises; nothing major. Could have been much worse.

P.S.: I will say that I was pleasantly surprised that the party responsible for the accident actually did stop and made sure we were ok. They could have just as well kept going.

Glad to read you are OK.

Now this why do not use them. Low fares are fine, but I cannot overlook the safety factor.

onetosix
04-20-2011, 02:48 AM

Click to see pic (http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2011/04/04-18_concho.jpg)

17 April 2011
Motoconchos regulated

What a JOKE!!....this is nothing more than another thinly disguised ruse by the totally corrupt, lying, thieving, assholes that pretend to be "City Leaders" in Sosua to extract a few more pesos from their own already poor struggling citizens so they can pad their own pockets. Anyone that knows the DR or has lived there very long knows that the few at the top with all the power are 110% corrupt to the very core(and that is at ALL levels of government in the DR). Now that the mototaxi guys have to deal with more redtape and costs of operation, they will want to recoup this investment in "being legal". I wonder how they will do that? Of course if there are fewer of them competeing for the same number of customers then each one will have more potential customers and they can make it up on volume. I see at least three of the guys in that "smiley" foto-op with the mayor that have tried to rip me off in the past until they find out that I am a local and speak some Spanish, then their attitude changes dramatically. And the AMET...that's an even bigger JOKE! THEY are going to patrol the motos now so that THEY can extract some pesos for their coffers too. They have already been doing this for some time now anyway, but now they will have some new laws to enforce for more potential revenue. AMET is just another totally corrupt entity that extracts money from tourists and citizens. I won't go into my personal experiences with them taking money from me and putting it directly into their pockets and walking away right in broad daylight on Pedro Clisante. Then there is the Politur....those wonderful friendly folks that walk around town and the beach violating every human right of their own citizens by falsely arresting completely innocent girls and throwing them in jail for no reason other than "they were told to do it" and "it's my job". At least this is what they said to me when I asked why they were violating the human rights of their very own citizens. They had no legal reason or charge for the arrests....they were just "told to do it".
Well, the DR is still a fun place to live and a lot of beautiful country and chicas to be sure...it is just painful sometimes to see the extreme level of corruption that exists.

Sidney
04-20-2011, 07:53 AM
What a JOKE!!....this is nothing more than another thinly disguised ruse by the totally corrupt, lying, thieving, assholes that pretend to be "City Leaders" in Sosua to extract a few more pesos from their own already poor struggling citizens so they can pad their own pockets. Anyone that knows the DR or has lived there very long knows that the few at the top with all the power are 110% corrupt to the very core(and that is at ALL levels of government in the DR). Now that the mototaxi guys have to deal with more redtape and costs of operation, they will want to recoup this investment in "being legal". I wonder how they will do that? Of course if there are fewer of them competeing for the same number of customers then each one will have more potential customers and they can make it up on volume. I see at least three of the guys in that "smiley" foto-op with the mayor that have tried to rip me off in the past until they find out that I am a local and speak some Spanish, then their attitude changes dramatically. And the AMET...that's an even bigger JOKE! THEY are going to patrol the motos now so that THEY can extract some pesos for their coffers too. They have already been doing this for some time now anyway, but now they will have some new laws to enforce for more potential revenue. AMET is just another totally corrupt entity that extracts money from tourists and citizens. I won't go into my personal experiences with them taking money from me and putting it directly into their pockets and walking away right in broad daylight on Pedro Clisante. Then there is the Politur....those wonderful friendly folks that walk around town and the beach violating every human right of their own citizens by falsely arresting completely innocent girls and throwing them in jail for no reason other than "they were told to do it" and "it's my job". At least this is what they said to me when I asked why they were violating the human rights of their very own citizens. They had no legal reason or charge for the arrests....they were just "told to do it".
Well, the DR is still a fun place to live and a lot of beautiful country and chicas to be sure...it is just painful sometimes to see the extreme level of corruption that exists.
Appropriate and well said! Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

papi_sosua
05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Talking about the "unspoken" motofares. They have gone up...

Yes, it is still 25p/day/person within Sosua proper.
But be prepared to pay 30-35p/day/person after nightfall. This will keep everyone happy.

P.S.: I surmise that motos are no different than airlines...in experiencing the pain of rising oil (gasoline) prices.

P.P.S.: There are now some 250cc motos available. Very comfortable, and a very different ride experience. They go up to 60 mph+ w/o a whine. Wonder what will happen to my head when I hit the asphalt unprotected!

While moto fares are unregulated, everyone knows what the rates are. It is sort of unspoken...

In contrast, carro publico fares are highly regulated by their unions. Good!!! So are taxi fares from the airport. Not good!!!