PDA

View Full Version : 04/2011 - SOSUA...From the POV of a Ex-Coach!

balcoach
04-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I figured now that I have been here a good while now, I should start my thread of updates and information which may help and be available for those who choose to try to figure some things out here in Sosua.

Let me start with some background....
I am an ex collegiate football coach and have decided to make Sosua my home and if the right business opportunity might arise to occupy my time, I might indulge.

About myself, I do know a few of the fellows that frequent here on the board and as they know, I am a self-proclaimed ASSHOLE. I know this, so albeit, it is what it is! For those that know me, I hang out from time to time, but I do like to ride solo more often than not, no offense to anyone, just personal preference.

Remember those words...PERSONAL PREFERENCE. As a long time vet here on the North coast, That will and always be my first and foremost bit of advice. Do what makes you happy. Spend what you feel something is worth. Right, wrong, or indifferenet, its your Shit!!! Wipe the way you want to!!!

With that being said... Good evening gentleman!!
I am always open to any questions or comments you might have. If I don't have the answer, I will collaborate with Dr. Bob, and request he use his magic elixer to solve your question.

balcoach
04-18-2011, 07:47 PM
UPDATE: El Batey, Sosua.
Back close to the intersection of Pedro Clisante and Alejo Martinez a new cabana has opened. "SECRETOS DULCE" (sweet secrets).

I need to stop by and check it out, and get some details for the fellows here. These sort of locales can always be use when the situation arises!

++++++
Fellow's I am staying a in central El Batey location. I have a studio apartment in Condos Dominicano and for me, it suits me great. They clean and do the linens every three days, the grounds are very nice and tranquil, have a very nice pool, otherwise known as my OFFICE.
If anyone needs info on this spot, hit me up. Is well withing walking distace of anything you need here in Sosua. And is guest friendly with a cedula and a laid back attitude. (www.condosdominicano.com (http://www.condosdominicano.com))

whynotme
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
, I might indulge.
1) I am a self-proclaimed ASSHOLE. I know this, so albeit, it is what it is!
2) Do what makes you happy. Spend what you feel something is worth. Right, wrong, or indifferenet, its your Shit!!! Wipe the way you want to!

1) same here:bigthumbup:

2)my sentiments exactly

3) live for today as you are a long time dead and no matter how much money you have at death it means nothing:rolleyes:

balcoach
04-18-2011, 07:53 PM
3) live for today as you are a long time dead and no matter how much money you have at death it means nothing:rolleyes:

LIVE FOR TODAY, YOU MIGHT GET HIT BY A MOTOCONCHO TOMMORROW!!!

balcoach
04-18-2011, 07:58 PM
A view of the place I call home for now. Have had the pleasure of many comrades here. Hoseman, Shredder, Don....., Ryatt, Get Rhythym, and others I suspect.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf78a92ae.jpg

whynotme
04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
nice "office":bigthumbup:

papirazzi
04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
A view of the place I call home for now. Have had the pleasure of many comrades here. Hoseman, Shredder, Don....., Ryatt, Get Rhythym, and others I suspect.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf78a92ae.jpg)

Another place I REALLY like, but getting a apt here may be hard as they book fast!

balcoach
04-18-2011, 08:01 PM
After a couple of month's being here making runs to POP and other locations using rental cars and etc. I broke down and bought one of the finer vehichles here on the north coast.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf7886bec.jpg

This piece of shit runs like hell and is ugly enough no one wants to fuck with it at all. Dr. BoB made an approval of the purchase, so I pulled the trigger and have been happy with my purchase.

Within the first week of having the aforementioned buggy, aka MARIPOSA, 3 or 4 people asked me if i would like to sell it, so I feel good that i can get my money back if the time comes.

hugrad95a
04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Congrats, Coach glad to see you enjoying life...

givengo440
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Coach I am sorry that you not at the school anymore but am glad that you are doing what is making you happy. I appreciate all your reporting as I know so does the rest of the guys here. I look forward to staying in touch and seeing you when I get there.
MG

runmemphis
04-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Congrats Coach -- you are my idol!! I'm still a coach as I type, but we are ALL hired to be Fired; so I may be in your shoes next season!! Please keep posting up, I love your take and envy your spot -- while I sit here and battle the BS!!

Seville
04-18-2011, 08:45 PM
After a couple of month's being here making runs to POP and other locations using rental cars and etc. I broke down and bought one of the finer vehichles here on the north coast.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf7886bec.jpg)

This piece of shit runs like hell and is ugly enough no one wants to fuck with it at all. Dr. BoB made an approval of the purchase, so I pulled the trigger and have been happy with my purchase.

Within the first week of having the aforementioned buggy, aka MARIPOSA, 3 or 4 people asked me if i would like to sell it, so I feel good that i can get my money back if the time comes.

Dr. Bob, that would be me, knows nothing about cars except where to put the gas in. Glad you took my advice. If you need advice about brain surgery I am equally knowlegable in that area.:smile:

fishhunter
04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Yeah coach good car it ran when I rode in it and I like the Dry wll screw door latch. You are right about no one messing with it.\\
And Robert12345 about that brain surgery, I should have my head examined for ever leaving last week I am in a very serious state of DR withdrawl and quickly losing it here. I am returning very soon. Permanently.

Seville
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah coach good car it ran when I rode in it and I like the Dry wll screw door latch. You are right about no one messing with it.\\
And Robert12345 about that brain surgery, I should have my head examined for ever leaving last week I am in a very serious state of DR withdrawl and quickly losing it here. I am returning very soon. Permanently.

What happened to your last amiga? The Haitiana? Looking forward to your return.

TC
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
its your Shit!!! Wipe the way you want to!!!

That's beautiful, man [TC wipes a tear from his eye]

sonrisa
04-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Very good thread! I like the journal-type threads that tell it like it is, especially the daily life of living in the DR generally and Sosua specifically. What type of unit at Condos Dominicano do you have? Do you have a longer-term lease or a month-by-month lease? The one-bedrooms look perfect for a pleasant longer-term stay and the two-bedrooms would be nice if you were planning a permanent stay.

I always rent a car when I am there because I like the freedom to travel around. Since I don't drink, that allows me to give my full attention to the road where everyone else is drinking! Your location in central El Batey makes owning/renting a car an option. If I can get out and about, I never feel as cramped. For example, I'd rather have a one-bedroom apartment and some transportation than a two-bedroom and no transportation.

Keep up a great new thread additon. I look forward to reading and learning from a professional former coach who still has the gift to mentor others.

Seville
04-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Very good thread! I like the journal-type threads that tell it like it is, especially the daily life of living in the DR generally and Sosua specifically. What type of unit at Condos Dominicano do you have? Do you have a longer-term lease or a month-by-month lease? The one-bedrooms look perfect for a pleasant longer-term stay and the two-bedrooms would be nice if you were planning a permanent stay.

I always rent a car when I am there because I like the freedom to travel around. Since I don't drink, that allows me to give my full attention to the road where everyone else is drinking! Your location in central El Batey makes owning/renting a car an option. If I can get out and about, I never feel as cramped. For example, I'd rather have a one-bedroom apartment and some transportation than a two-bedroom and no transportation.

Keep up a great new thread additon. I look forward to reading and learning from a professional former coach who still has the gift to mentor others.

It would seem to me that if he did, indeed, still have that particular gift he would not be an ex-coach. Just saying, that's all.

balcoach
04-19-2011, 12:55 AM
It would seem to me that if he did, indeed, still have that particular gift he would not be an ex-coach. Just saying, that's all.

Some bad personnel decisions can get just about anyone fired!!!! It is what it is.

jose1234
04-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Some bad personnel decisions can get just about anyone fired!!!! It is what it is.

I think you came to the right place... Not a lot of consequences here for good or bad decisions if your just renting your place here... Just don't hit anyone with the car or impregnate a local and whatever drama you encounter will likely pass in a day or a few days...just a ripple in the water... It's your time to heal and live back to feeling solid about yourself and life in general...no stress except a slightly long wait for your food...LOL

Wishing you all the best!!!

Mr. Smooth
04-19-2011, 04:58 AM
Glad to see you're sticking around balcoach. Look forward to hopefully having a beer or two when I'm down. I would guess that not much work gets done in your "office"?

Maybe you could gather some of the local kids together and teach them a little bit of America's greatest game. How to attack a zone, how to read the defensive end on an option, how to throw the ball to the receiver's outside shoulder on a fade route so only he can catch it, how to pick up a blitz, how to......aw hell, just chill out and have a cold one on the beach. :bigthumbup:

Seville
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Glad to see you're sticking around balcoach. Look forward to hopefully having a beer or two when I'm down. I would guess that not much work gets done in your "office"?

Maybe you could gather some of the local kids together and teach them a little bit of America's greatest game. How to attack a zone, how to read the defensive end on an option, how to throw the ball to the receiver's outside shoulder on a fade route so only he can catch it, how to pick up a blitz, how to......aw hell, just chill out and have a cold one on the beach. :bigthumbup:

He does not know that much about baseball.

gdogg
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

el toro
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Balcoach it's good to see someone besides Robert and Weyland living the dream. Yeah that's just me being envious, but anyway it's great that you can take some time away and decompress.

Also, I think you bought the class Dominican ride--drop top and something that can handle the pot holes and it's too ugly to mess up.

Enjoy your time or new life in paradise.

balcoach
04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Also, I think you bought the class Dominican ride--drop top and something that can handle the pot holes and it's too ugly to mess up.

That it is, I paid extra for no exterior door handle security system and the string to open from the inside, that runs to the bed of the jeep when the windows are up because of rain. This Photo is remiss of the heavy duty contruction rack that was welded atop the jeep upon purchase, I cut that off.

It is high quality and its funny when chicas see me with the MARIPOSA, they are used to the gringos (like Robert) with the high end JEEPETA's, but us ordinary folk, just try to blend in to the culture!

balcoach
04-19-2011, 02:01 PM
SOSUA, RD Tuesday 19 April, 2011

Good afternoon my friends. Just thought I would share a few things about the life here as we continue with the introspective report as we go.

Was up early this morning and treated myself to breakfast outside the house at ROCKY's, best breakfast in town IMO. And after that stopped by Kika's for a massage that was outstanding. She is a can't miss, best 500 RD peso ($13.26 US) hour massage on this side of the equator.

After this I went to the office and put some time in at the office
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifClick this bar to view the full image.http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf78a92ae.jpg

and have now settled in at the computer to share a bit of my adventure thus far.

+++++++++++++++++++

As some of you know I would like to open a bar here in town, give me something to do, as I can honestly admit i do miss working, but no too much!

I have been on a hunt for a location since February and its a challenge.
Made an offer on the old SAMBA BAR, but someone offered $300/month more and I wished them the best of luck. I know the market here pretty well and know what I am willing to pay depending on the location.

One bar that interest me because of the bar itself also deters me because of its location (near Bologna Restaurant) and lack of foot traffic. It would definately have to be a destination location. Folks would have to say, hey we gonna go here now! And I am very aprehensive about this.

Those folks in my circle of partners...Robert, TNT, NAP, Hoseman, Sidney, Don....., FishHunter, and those others I have left out, Fuck You!... well anyway, if they want to have me clipped they know to find me at either Winners circle or Latinos.

The other night in Latino's, one of the bartenders who I know, asked me if I was still interested in opening a place, and I say sure. She asked me if I would be interested in the new bar just built in front of the "El Cultivo" (old Luis Hess Home) and I say sure. The next day I go by and see the bar itself, very nice, and then I sit down and speak with Mary, the owner (owns Flow and the store next to flow as well, ex-wife of the ex-mayor). Anyways I ask her what she was looking for monthly for the bar only. And she said a figure that I didn't quite catch and I said $2,000/month and she says NO, $5,000/Month US, at that point I stood up, chuckled, wished her the best of luck and hit the bricks.

For that kind of scratch i could buy the whole damn corner!

So this is one of the things that occupies my time on a daily basis.

jose1234
04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Balcoach, just curious, would you be interested in a bar on Sosua Beach?

givengo440
04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I am!!!

jose1234
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
I am!!!

Since I have a hotel and bar, I hear rumors and etc. about this and that going on. I'll put out the word in my circle and when something is available, I'll let you know.

givengo440
04-19-2011, 02:20 PM

Good afternoon my friends. Just thought I would share a few things about the life here as we continue with the introspective report as we go.

Was up early this morning and treated myself to breakfast outside the house at ROCKY's, best breakfast in town IMO. And after that stopped by Kika's for a massage that was outstanding. She is a can't miss, best 500 RD peso ($13.26 US) hour massage on this side of the equator.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/images/statusicon/wol_error.gif)Click this bar to view the full image.Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf78a92ae.jpg)

and have now settled in at the computer to share a bit of my adventure thus far.

+++++++++++++++++++

As some of you know I would like to open a bar here in town, give me something to do, as I can honestly admit i do miss working, but no too much!

Made an offer on the old SAMBA BAR, but someone offered $300/month more and I wished them the best of luck. I know the market here pretty well and know what I am willing to pay depending on the location.

One bar that interest me because of the bar itself also deters me because of its location (near Bologna Restaurant) and lack of foot traffic. It would definately have to be a destination location. Folks would have to say, hey we gonna go here now! And I am very aprehensive about this.

Those folks in my circle of partners...Robert, TNT, NAP, Hoseman, Sidney, Don....., FishHunter, and those others I have left out, Fuck You!... well anyway, if they want to have me clipped they know to find me at either Winners circle or Latinos.

The other night in Latino's, one of the bartenders who I know, asked me if I was still interested in opening a place, and I say sure. She asked me if I would be interested in the new bar just built in front of the "El Cultivo" (old Luis Hess Home) and I say sure. The next day I go by and see the bar itself, very nice, and then I sit down and speak with Mary, the owner (owns Flow and the store next to flow as well, ex-wife of the ex-mayor). Anyways I ask her what she was looking for monthly for the bar only. And she said a figure that I didn't quite catch and I said $2,000/month and she says NO, $5,000/Month US, at that point I stood up, chuckled, wished her the best of luck and hit the bricks.

Coach what she thought you were trying to open up a Bar or La Passions 2 :rofl:

Jimmydr
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
+++++++++++++++++++

I guess you want to turn your world upside down.

Jimmydr
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM

I guess some guys like throwing away their money.:bigthumbup:

Nakom
04-19-2011, 02:45 PM
There have been many many failed expat buisness in Sosua, and some great ones. The 2 'small bars' that I know of that always seem to have customers are C'est La Vie and 4 Roses.

The things they have in common:

1) Decent prices
2) Great staff. I frequent both of those places just to talk to the bartenders - and so do many other people.
3) Good music - played at a level that the customers can still talk.
4) A bar to sit at and tables.
5) No food - stick to what you know and keep it simple.
6) Clean washrooms.
7) Open to the street so you can watch the world go by.
8) Fans for when it gets to hot for gringos.

Not saying doing those things will garner sucsess - but it's a start. I would hire Maria from 4 Roses to run the bar and try to get some of the girls from CLV to work there.

Plus a giant ISOC discount.

Jimmydr
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
There have been many many failed expat buisness in Sosua, and some great ones. The 2 'small bars' that I know of that always seem to have customers are C'est La Vie and 4 Roses.

The things they have in common:

1) Decent prices
2) Great staff. I frequent both of those places just to talk to the bartenders - and so do many other people.
3) Good music - played at a level that the customers can still talk.
4) A bar to sit at and tables.
5) No food - stick to what you know and keep it simple.

Not saying doing those things will garner sucsess - but it's a start. I would hire Maria from 4 Roses to run the bar and try to get some of the girls from CLV to work there.

Plus a giant ISOC discount.

How can you have great prices and give discounts? Wouldn't having great prices be the draw?

If women hang out there, you better get ready with the bribe money.

4 Roses has been there long before I ever got there. I think he ownes the property.

Nakom
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
The ISOC discount was a joke - noticed it is not numbered. Both of those bars have very few putas hanging around.

The guy that owns 4 Roses also owns the apartments back behind the bar.

Jimmydr
04-19-2011, 02:57 PM
The ISOC discount was a joke - noticed it is not numbered. Both of those bars have very few putas hanging around.

The guy that owns 4 Roses also owns the apartments back behind the bar.

I think he has owned it for at least 15 years if not more. I missed the joke, as usual.

But as you can see, places that are making money usually aren't are for sale.

Nakom
04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm not saying buy one of those - I am saying model your place after those. Those two joints are making money - of course they are not for sale.

Jimmydr
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm not saying buy one of those - I am saying model your place after those. Those two joints are making money - of course they are not for sale.

First off, one needs to know how to run a bar and second, what will that new bar have that all the others don't.

Since 2000, I have seen many come and fail.

Nakom
04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I am not saying it is going to work - I am saying if you are going to try give yourself the best chance possible. I provided a list of 8 things above that almost all of the other bars don't have (collectivley).

The most important being great staff - you can get a beer anywhere.

swiggy
04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Four roses and dominos next door used to be packed up until about 11 or 12 at night. It was actually good place to go before the disco, then it was a place to avoid for a while. the last few years I stop by now and again. I dont really stay near there so i dont end up over there much. My first few trips i pulled many chicas out of there.

balcoach
04-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Thank you gentleman for your input. All ideas are welcome.

Just to get a few facts straight, the owner at 4 Roses now has been there about 2 years. The old vets Mattias and Ollie sold out to this guy and actually the prices at 4 Roses are some of the higher prices considering overhead.

All is well though. I do appreciate all the thoughts and opinions, and I am in no hurry to pull the trigger. Only if the right situation comes along.

BTW Jimmy, If I would chose such an endeavor it would not be for the money.

Jimbo44
04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Why not gove a thought to speaking with Lou, as it seems everytime i been there the last few times, he is always away and it is closed.

Nakom
04-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Lou's problem is pretty simple. From my experience only.... the location, food, and pricing is great, but the service is some of the worst in Sosua. I have never been there when Lou is around, only when locals are working there.

Jimmydr
04-19-2011, 05:59 PM

You will get much more than you ever bargined for. Doing business in DR, its like no other experience.

whynotme
04-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you gentleman for your input. All ideas are welcome.

Just to get a few facts straight, the owner at 4 Roses now has been there about 2 years. The old vets Mattias and Ollie sold out to this guy and actually the prices at 4 Roses are some of the higher prices considering overhead.

All is well though. I do appreciate all the thoughts and opinions, and I am in no hurry to pull the trigger. Only if the right situation comes along.

i wish you all the best but after owning my own bar and grille its NEVER AGAIN for me:rofl:

from fucking rude and down right stupid customers to employee theft and gment ripoffs and overhead it was costing me 8gs/month to keep it open or 4gs/month to keep it closed:eek: i closed mine and its up for sale waiting for the next entreprenour :rolleyes: ( i will make my losses up in the real estate gains but the extra gray hair wasn't worth it):rofl:

btw; i have had/tried/presently own so many businesses if you are not going into it for the money then don't go into.........get a hobby (isoc;)) its cheaper and better on your blood pressure:bigthumbup:

but its your money and your health so up to you and again all the best:bigthumbup:

Sidney
04-19-2011, 06:12 PM
But he is very knowlegable about the NBA and track and field as I have learned in our conversations.:lol:

Sidney
04-19-2011, 06:16 PM

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/images/statusicon/wol_error.gif)Click this bar to view the full image.Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf78a92ae.jpg)

+++++++++++++++++++

You have exercised good judgement!

Hoseman
04-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf7886bec.jpg)

Within the first week of having the aforementioned buggy, aka MARIPOSA, 3 or 4 people asked me if i would like to sell it, so I feel good that i can get my money back if the time comes.I rember you showing me it before I left.I hope it works out.If you move in to my old apt.Don't be suprised if you hear Chicas at that window calling my name:rofl:

Hoseman
04-19-2011, 06:48 PM

+++++++++++++++++++

So this is one of the things that occupies my time on a daily basis.It is a shame that that is pretty much the only block people will frequent there.

TC
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
from fucking rude and down right stupid customers

Just a guess here, but it's quite possible that some of the patrons may not have felt the huge priority that was put on customer service.

balcoach
04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
SOSUA, RD 20 April, 2011

I was sitting in my second home, Winner's Circle, kind of like Norm at Cheers. We had enjoyed some pizza with the crew, and a gentleman entered the bar from the side street. He seemed kinda of laid back, dressed well, ready for the evening.

This fine gentleman was standing beside me, and turned away toward the street, and then turned back and said is that your car...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf7886bec.jpg

Why yes I said, he said you must be balcoach, i recognize that fine auto from ISOC. I had the pleasure of meeting "Mr. Black". He told me I was the first ISOC member he had ever met in person.

How about that, the ugly jeep, aka the MARIPOSA, its reputation preceeds itself already. This gentleman, Mr. Black, definately has fine taste in classic automobiles.

Thank you for your gracious compliments!

mrblackluv
04-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Very good to meet you Coach...:lol:

tgunz
04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Good Luck with eveything KEKO! Its always a pleasure kicking it with you. Definately had a fun time driving around Sosua in that fine automobile last month! I look foward to reading your daily updates. -Tom

balcoach
04-25-2011, 02:26 PM
SOSUA/LA UNION, RD SEMANA SANTA 2011

Semana Santa has come and gone and along with the Mucho Dominican visitors to the north coast...sosua, cabarette, POP, it is back to somewhat of our normal existance.

The did some work on the roads here prior to the weekend to try to slowdown on the accidents and they also wasted some paint on the roads. The more I drive and get around, I find that street lights, road signs and the lines on the roads are merely SUGGESTIONS!! :lol:

Good Friday I was invited to a dinner/lunch in the the "La Cahoba" area of La Union, which is up a curvy dirt road, that the MARIPOSA had no problems handling!

I have a very lovely young 18 year old amiga who lives there with here mother and brother's and sisters who have grown quite fond of the fatman!!!

It was a wonderful afternoon of eating and drinking and laughing amongst family and friends. Truly is good to see you can enjoy so much with so little.
Was fed a great meal of Rice, Guandoles and Backalou (which is like a fish stirfry).

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15500&d=1303754766

I had been to my friends house a few times at night, but this was the first time in the day time, and smack dab in what you would call her "front yard" is a cock fighting pit. I asked when? Saturday Mornings. I asked could a gringo come? Yes, especially if they know you are here with us.
So next saturday, count me in!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15501&d=1303754815

Sunday afternoon, LaUnion and her friend and sister came by the house to swim and then we went out to dinner, and low and behold we run into a tipsy Dr. Bob... he was such a gentleman to cover his exposed chest as we were getting our dinner.

All in all a good weekend. And now a start to the slow season.

papirazzi
04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
SOSUA/LA UNION, RD SEMANA SANTA 2011

Semana Santa has come and gone and along with the Mucho Dominican visitors to the north coast...sosua, cabarette, POP, it is back to somewhat of our normal existance.

The did some work on the roads here prior to the weekend to try to slowdown on the accidents and they also wasted some paint on the roads. The more I drive and get around, I find that street lights, road signs and the lines on the roads are merely SUGGESTIONS!! :lol:

Good Friday I was invited to a dinner/lunch in the the "La Cahoba" area of La Union, which is up a curvy dirt road, that the MARIPOSA had no problems handling!

I have a very lovely young 18 year old amiga who lives there with here mother and brother's and sisters who have grown quite fond of the fatman!!!

It was a wonderful afternoon of eating and drinking and laughing amongst family and friends. Truly is good to see you can enjoy so much with so little.
Was fed a great meal of Rice, Guandoles and Backalou (which is like a fish stirfry).

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15500&d=1303754766)

I had been to my friends house a few times at night, but this was the first time in the day time, and smack dab in what you would call her "front yard" is a cock fighting pit. I asked when? Saturday Mornings. I asked could a gringo come? Yes, especially if they know you are here with us.
So next saturday, count me in!!

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15501&d=1303754815)

Sunday afternoon, LaUnion and her friend and sister came by the house to swim and then we went out to dinner, and low and behold we run into a tipsy Dr. Bob... he was such a gentleman to cover his exposed chest as we were getting our dinner.

All in all a good weekend. And now a start to the slow season.

Balcoach what months are considered slow season?

Hoseman
04-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Balcoach what months are considered slow season?Basically when it gets hot in the definetly June,July and August you probably can throw may in there also.

papirazzi
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Basically when it gets hot in the definetly June,July and August you probably can throw may in there also.

so with the exception of Memorial Day, May, June, July is slow season? cool

The Sage
04-25-2011, 06:16 PM
I believe what's recognized as slow season starts about the fourth week of April and ends with October.

hugrad95a
04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
I believe what's recognized as slow season starts about the fourth week of April and ends with October.

Sheet that's when I get it started slow season my ass...

DCIronman
04-26-2011, 06:55 AM

My experience has been that most vacation rental owners and travel agents list slow season as beginning on April 15th and ending on Nov. 15th. And before the recent hikes in airfares, ticket prices used to drop around 4/15.

But that's probably a rough estimation.

Hoseman
04-26-2011, 07:50 AM
My experience has been that most vacation rental owners and travel agents list slow season as beginning on April 15th and ending on Nov. 15th. And before the recent hikes in airfares, ticket prices used to drop around 4/15.

But that's probably a rough estimation.Like I was saying it is pretty much when there are decent temeratures elsewhere June,July and August are the slowest Months.

papirazzi
04-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Like I was saying it is pretty much when there are decent temeratures elsewhere June,July and August are the slowest Months.

cool.....(plotting)

balcoach
04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
SOSUA, RD 27 April 2011

I was up and moving quite early today, made breakfast, and did some chores here in my mansion. Went to city market to pick up a few things and on the way back I stopped at Davids' Tires to get an oil change, place was reccommended to me by guy from whom i bought HUMMER....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifClick this bar to view the full image.http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71854daccf7886bec.jpg

So i ask how much, and the guy says well it depends ... I said depends on what? its an oil change, give me a price. 1100 RD (+/- $29 US) might be a bit expensive, used 5 quarts, but they could do it right then, so I said go for it.

Then like flies to shit, 3 or 4 different machanics start poking and proding, and I told the guy I was dealing with, that only the oil change dude needs to mess with the MARIPOSA... Seemed like each guy had strieomething that needed to be done!! NO SHIT, the Hummer is a high quality Piece of Shit, I am looking for basics!! THANK YOU

So I get it off the rack, get some air in my tire, and give the guy 1100 pesos and leave before some thing else got tacked on to my bill...
he tried at first to test me, but when I spoke his language and told him the typical, I am not a turist and said to just take my buggy off the rack, things change.

Crazy world...Guess I could assimilate this to a women in a auto shop, the wolves try to get in the chicken coup if you let them.

Well, Gotta do some work for my buddy barrack obama and then I will be checking into the office later this afternoon.