PDA

View Full Version : Dominican wins Kentucky horse classic

NewsWhore
05-16-2011, 02:40 PM
The Dominican Republic's own Hector Florentino won the winning title during the US$30,000 Hagyard Lexington Classic at the important Kentucky Spring Horse Show on Thursday, 12 May. Thirty-seven horse and rider combinations met at the Rolex Stadium in the Kentucky Horse Park to compete for the event. Eight horses advanced to the jump-off, and it was then that Florentino riding Ultimo took home the top prize after completing the fastest double clear effort. Quentin Judge followed in second aboard HH Radco, while Ragan Roberts and Quipit L.F. placed third. Also competing in the event was multiple Canadian Olympic medal winner, Ian Miller.

The United States Equestrian Federation reported:

"When Hector Florentino stepped in to the ring with Ultimo, owned by the Stransky's Mission Farms, the pair was prepared for a victory. They picked up a quick pace and never held back, make a sharp turn after each obstacle. Florentino and Ultimo galloped to the last oxer and easily made their way through the timers, breezing through in 39.68 seconds to win the first leg of the Hagyard Challenge Series."

"In the first round I was a little concerned about the triple combination", said Florentino. "I had seen many riders go before me and I had seen there was a trouble spot, but I think I rode really well the combination and he was really balanced and he just overpowered everything."

Florentino continued, "In the jump-off, I saw Ian Miller go first, I saw the turns he did so I planned to do a little bit faster from 1 to 2 and I did also the roll back after the combination a little faster than him; I think that did the trick."

Ultimo is a mount that just began jumping at this level, but Florentino is very excited about his future. "Ultimo already has the confidence to jump at this level and he's developed into a grand prix horse," he said. "This is maybe the best horse I have ever ridden. I try to be really soft with him, let him balance. I try to keep him balanced all the time and just let him do his job. I put him at the right spot with the right speed, and let him jump."

www.usef.org (http://www.usef.org)

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#16)