PDA

View Full Version : Hispaniola first ladies meet

NewsWhore
05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
First Lady Sophia Martelly of Haiti has paid a visit to Margarita Cedeno de Fernandez at her offices in Santo Domingo. Hoy reports they met for several hours yesterday and Cedeno described the social programs implemented by her office, which focus on health, education and the family. "We are brother countries joined by very strong ties. Haiti will always have our support and solidarity," said Cedeno. Higher Education Minister Ligia Amada Melo joined the First Ladies later in the day.

"This is my first visit as First Lady and I wanted to come here because we share the same island and are brothers. I also wanted to thank the First Lady and President Leonel Fernandez for the unconditional support we had after the earthquake and for all the love they put into it," she said at a press conference after her talks with First Lady Margarita Cedeno.

As reported, the First Ladies spoke of possible bilateral actions, with an emphasis on prevention, disaster management, support to projects benefiting women and children, education and promotion of values.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#1)