PDA

View Full Version : 05/2011 - What is the cost of an Orange Cell phone??

Dave Diaz
05-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok I have a chip, Orange, that I want to use with a phone I am bringing from the states. What is the cost of unlocking or doing whatever they do so that my phone can work in DR?

I know its possible but would like to know if anyone here knows how much it costs.

Thanks

Kevy
05-31-2011, 09:51 PM
depends on the type of phone you want unlocked. It shouldn't cost more than $20, usually cell phone places (not the actual going to Tmobile or something like that but an independent place) for around $20. Make sure the phone is quad band and GSM.

steviewonder
05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Behind the main office for Orange is a small electronic shop that will unlock any phone as Kevy has said for approx US$20. The main office is next door to Banco Popular, or about 100 yrds past Baileys Rest. The card if not used after 3 months will be in active. I was told Orange will reactivate it for free, as long as you purchase additional minutes. At least that was done for a friend of mine several months ago in Bavaro. :wink:

Irie
05-31-2011, 10:51 PM
1000 RD (about 27US) got me an Orange phone and about 45 minutes of time last month. I preferred not to unlock and keep there and here seperate. I didn't even trade in the phone. I'll be back soon enough and will buy more minutes :corky:

deezl
05-31-2011, 10:58 PM
assuming your phone is a gsm phone and not a cdma (cdma phones don't use sim cards and can't be unlocked) call your provider and ask them for an unlock code, most of them will give you the code if you've been a customer for a while. it's just a numeric code you enter in the keypad. some need to be connected to a device via the data port to be unlocked, though, for that you'd need to take it into a shop to have it done.

BigLongBeach
05-31-2011, 11:04 PM
1st try to unlock it for free. Call up your service provider and they should be able to unlock your phone for you. If it is a new phone usually there is wait period before you can unlock.

2nd if you live in a major city try the (non-brand) cellphone stores. The codes on the internet cost between $15-$20 + whatever labor fee they will charge. Most hispanic/dominican barber shops will have some1 who can help out.

you can try doing it yourself. Just google the topic and you will get some responses. The only problem with this is that you might try to purchase the code from a non-reputable website

When in D.R. you can go to any phone store. The problem with this is time, knowledge, and technology. It can run you up2 2000rd depending on the phone.

all those entail the same thing. purchasing the unlock code(s).... Hopefully your service provider can do it for free.

Now that you mention it i have to unlock my phone....

Jonew1
06-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Got one on my last trip for 700 pesos it came with 100 minutes and i just threw in 300 more peso on minutes to even it out. I remember at night some times calling back home for 30 minute conversations with a buddy of mine and the minutes seemed endless hopefully i can get it re activated when i get back its full of numbers.....

Seville
06-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Got one on my last trip for 700 pesos it came with 100 minutes and i just threw in 300 more peso on minutes to even it out. I remember at night some times calling back home for 30 minute conversations with a buddy of mine and the minutes seemed endless hopefully i can get it re activated when i get back its full of numbers.....

I believe the phone comes with 100 pesos on it when you buy it; not 100 minutes. As always, I could be wrong.:wink:

Jonew1
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I believe the phone comes with 100 pesos on it when you buy it; not 100 minutes. As always, I could be wrong.:wink:

Your right my bad

DASBOOTY
06-01-2011, 01:12 PM

If you turned in the SIM card to get your deposit back at Orange then you lost the numbers. This happened to me. I write down my numbers (well, the ones I want to keep:lol:) before I turn in the SIM card.

Jonew1
06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
If you turned in the SIM card to get your deposit back at Orange then you lost the numbers. This happened to me. I write down my numbers (well, the ones I want to keep:lol:) before I turn in the SIM card.
No i dident turn in the SIM card its still in the phone so lucky me.

Dave Diaz
06-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. I take it it'll cost me about 700 pesos to unlock, anything more and I might as well just buy another phone cause it'll be cheaper. Have to make sure I make this one a permenant DR phone.

I'll call up my service provider to see if I can get it for free. I might just end up buying a phone though a simple basic flip is all I need.

I have my sim card and i saved numbers on it, DR numbers, from when I had my phone. When I insert my sim card in a new phone will the numbers and everything load up on the new phone?? Im guessing it should because the numbers should be stored on the sim card.

Nakom
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
On your phone you can set to save numbers / ect to your phone or to your SIM. If you save to your SIM just pop it into any unlocked phone and away you go.

BTW - Orange does not make cell phones, they only provide service. I had a POS Alcatel that I used for 6 trips without a single problem.

Jonew1
06-02-2011, 01:30 PM
On your phone you can set to save numbers / ect to your phone or to your SIM. If you save to your SIM just pop it into any unlocked phone and away you go.

BTW - Orange does not make cell phones, they only provide service. I had a POS Alcatel that I used for 6 trips without a single problem.

thats the same kind of phone i got was the alcatel works super good

BigLongBeach
06-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Anyone know what the cost of unlimited data service is on orange or claro?
how about unlimited text messages?

I just unlocked my droid and i like talking to the girls on MSN, Gchat, FB, etc.

Nakom
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Anyone know what the cost of unlimited data service is on orange or claro?
how about unlimited text messages?

I just unlocked my droid and i like talking to the girls on MSN, Gchat, FB, etc.

Unless you live there and sign a contract, it is strictly pay as you go, and 3G / 4G do not work. For MSN / FB / ect use the wifi at hotels and resturants on your droid for free.

Orange
07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I have an unlocked quad-band phone, so all I need is the prepaid SIM.

Where do I get it and what are the costs involved?

Thanks.

TNT72
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Mr. Happy just posted not long ago that you can buy any type package you want. Unlimited for a weekend or week or month. I just cant remember what thread it was in.

bernard fife
10-21-2012, 01:14 AM
I have an iPhone 4S AT&T unlock where can I find a micro SIM card

gulfmariner
10-21-2012, 01:55 AM
I have an iPhone 4S AT&T unlock where can I find a micro SIM card

you can get a orange or claro sim card and have it cut to size at a few places in town or buy a sim cutter on ebay ...

Dave Diaz
10-21-2012, 02:47 AM
assuming your phone is a gsm phone and not a cdma (cdma phones don't use sim cards and can't be unlocked) call your provider and ask them for an unlock code, most of them will give you the code if you've been a customer for a while. it's just a numeric code you enter in the keypad. some need to be connected to a device via the data port to be unlocked, though, for that you'd need to take it into a shop to have it done.

1st try to unlock it for free. Call up your service provider and they should be able to unlock your phone for you. If it is a new phone usually there is wait period before you can unlock.

2nd if you live in a major city try the (non-brand) cellphone stores. The codes on the internet cost between $15-$20 + whatever labor fee they will charge. Most hispanic/dominican barber shops will have some1 who can help out.

you can try doing it yourself. Just google the topic and you will get some responses. The only problem with this is that you might try to purchase the code from a non-reputable website

When in D.R. you can go to any phone store. The problem with this is time, knowledge, and technology. It can run you up2 2000rd depending on the phone.

all those entail the same thing. purchasing the unlock code(s).... Hopefully your service provider can do it for free.

Now that you mention it i have to unlock my phone....

Smh I can't believe I'm just now doing this and you guys told me over a year ago. The code is very easy to get. I'm replacingmy beat up g2 droid and getting a brand new one thanks to my warranty (cost is 5 dollars) and later ill upgrade andhave a phone for the states and my new g2 for travel once I unlock it.

bernard fife
10-21-2012, 04:34 AM
you can get a orange or claro sim card and have it cut to size at a few places in town or buy a sim cutter on ebay ...

thanks.. will be in Sousa in 3 days

j_d66
10-21-2012, 03:11 PM
My last trip to Sosua in Sept I took a AT & T iphone 3gs down that I thought was already unlocked. Turned out is was still locked and I ended up taking it to a couple different cell phone shops and neither one could get it unlocked.

Once home I was able to get it unlocked through AT & T but it was a process that ultimately included an upgrade to ios 6 through an Itunes restore.

This was a rather lengthy process so if your thinking about taking a newer iphone you might want to make sure it is unlocked before you get there.

I took an iphone 3 on an earlier trip and was able to unlock it in a different manner with no issues and I think the DR phone guys would have been able to unlock that one as well.