PDA

View Full Version : Going To Sosua 6/11-6/17

madingo9
06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
excellent site. very informative. i will be taking my first trip to sosua and staying at the terra linda 6/11-6/17. travelling alone and wondering if any other members will be down at the same time??

Mr. Smooth
06-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Just check the roll call thread for June. Should be plenty guys in town. I will be arriving the day you leave. Just throw me the baton as our vehicles pass each other near the airport!

gdogg
06-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Just check the roll call thread for June. Should be plenty guys in town. I will be arriving the day you leave. Just throw me the baton as our vehicles pass each other near the airport!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?333929-Sosua-Roll-Call-April-thru-June
:iconTU:

madingo9
06-07-2011, 07:49 AM

thanks and i will check that. also i was doing some reading and I see it mentioned about wigmen that can help a first timer get around. is there a section to find more info about that. it would be appreciated.

thanks for the help and I can't wait toi make my first plunge.

mad

Jimmydr
06-07-2011, 09:14 AM
thanks and i will check that. also i was doing some reading and I see it mentioned about wigmen that can help a first timer get around. is there a section to find more info about that. it would be appreciated.

thanks for the help and I can't wait toi make my first plunge.

mad

Just read the board and get involved. there are 100's of ISOC guys hitting Sosua yearly.

madingo9
06-07-2011, 12:29 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?333929-Sosua-Roll-Call-April-thru-June
:iconTU:

thanks for the link to the roll call. there is so much info on this site it is hard to find everything. great site.

Jimmydr
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
thanks for the link to the roll call. there is so much info on this site it is hard to find everything. great site.

Well with over 900,000 posts, 1,000's of trip reports and over 300 active posters, that is what happens.:clap::clap::clap:

gdogg
06-07-2011, 12:37 PM

You'll be fine. You picked the right place to say. To the left and right of you are your fellow brethren...and you're just a few steps away from the main strip. You're gonna have a great time!
:wink:

gdogg
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM

If you want to narrow things down, use the search function (white rectangle, upper right side of page).

Jimmydr
06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
If you want to narrow things down, use the search function (white rectangle, upper right side of page).

I would just read the current reports, 3 are going up now, and a Jimbo and Tiger and TNT report.

gdogg
06-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I would just read the current reports, 3 are going up now, and a Jimbo and Tiger and TNT report.

Does he have access?

Jimmydr
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Does he have access?

He can buy it if he doesn't already.

Malo
06-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Does he have access?

Everyone should buy a year, that doesn't have one.

madingo9
06-07-2011, 06:40 PM
He can buy it if he doesn't already.

i do have access. excellent investment. even a lot of non monger related tips as well.

earlier today i was at the bank to get some pesos to have with me to start--and after reading about problems breaking the 2000 notes i made sure not to get any larger then a 1000. probably already saved me a hassle.

tips on what to bring that i wouldnt have thought of for the chicas--body wash and razors and toothbrushes.

the trip reports have been very informative. very detailed in giving a true sense of the experience. thanks all for doing all that painstaking ground work :biggrin:

jacknback
06-07-2011, 07:41 PM
my understanding is this site is not the best place to be discussing illegal purchases.
As much as we all may agree,and even some states and countries also,that the law can be ridiculous at times,weed is still against the law most places.
Any one who has been to prison in a foreign country will tell you (not me)that breaking the law there is not a pleasent thing to be caught at.

Irie
06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
my understanding is this site is not the best place to be discussing illegal purchases.
As much as we all may agree,and even some states and countries also,that the law can be ridiculous at times,weed is still against the law most places.
Any one who has been to prison in a foreign country will tell you (not me)that breaking the law there is not a pleasent thing to be caught at.

Agreed. Probably not the place to discuss all of this. PM some that have touched on the subject if you really want to know.

Personally not into this anyway, but no problem. To each his or her own...it's all good with me if they have respect.

gdogg
06-08-2011, 02:19 AM
is getting w**d in the DR a big no no? I do enjoy burning one now and then. but not enough to want to get in trouble. i read on one trip report that it is not a good idea but on another it sounded like the posters' friend was "burning" and a chica freaked out. just curious about it and hoped for some input. thanks.

Not only is getting it a big no no, mentioning it here is also. And if someone offers to sell it to you down there, REFUSE!!! You're probably being set up to be arrested, and you'll need a shitload of thousands of US dollars to get out.

Again, no drug references on I.S.O.C.

madingo9
06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Not only is getting it a big no no, mentioning it here is also. And if someone offers to sell it to you down there, REFUSE!!! You're probably being set up to be arrested, and you'll need a shitload of thousands of US dollars to get out.

Again, no drug references on I.S.O.C.

understood and sorry for bringing up the subject.

DASBOOTY
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
earlier today i was at the bank to get some pesos to have with me to start--and after reading about problems breaking the 2000 notes i made sure not to get any larger then a 1000. probably already saved me a hassle.

:biggrin:

Small bills are difficult to get there. Even breaking a 500 peso note can be a pain.

I go to the Banco Popular atm and withdraw 9800 pesos each time. I get 1800 pesos in denominations of 100 and 200 notes and the other 8000 pesos in denominations of 500.

If worse comes to worse, and I need to break a big bill, I go to Merengue club at night and buy a beer there.

And of course, the chicas in the club will be more than happy to relieve you of your big bills (in exchange for thier totos;))

jacknback
06-08-2011, 06:40 PM
understood and sorry for bringing up the subject.

Live and learn guy..no hard feelings and like I said I don't necessarily agree with all laws but......

madingo9
06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
on a non monger related note. while there i also like to do some tourist stuff. does anyone know of a reputable place to go for excursions. thanks for the help.

Jimmydr
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
on a non monger related note. while there i also like to do some tourist stuff. does anyone know of a reputable place to go for excursions. thanks for the help.

such as?

gdogg
06-09-2011, 05:15 PM

Go see Linda:

http://www.mel-tour.com/english/index.php?page=intro.php

CentralNJDude
06-09-2011, 05:16 PM
There is a Puta excursion that starts from La Passions and ends at the beach. Contact Robert for more info; believe he only charges $59.99 and that includes food and drinks.

madingo9
06-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Go see Linda:

thanks for the link; it is what i was looking for. i saw this place mentioned in other places. wanted to ask the board as those opinons would carry more weight.

madingo9
06-09-2011, 08:47 PM
There is a Puta excursion that starts from La Passions and ends at the beach. Contact Robert for more info; believe he only charges $59.99 and that includes food and drinks.

does sound like more fun then snorkling :)

Irie
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM

add an additional 5000 pesos if you want no sarcasm during the excursion. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

eldorob
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Go see Linda:

Been on the "Eco-Friendly" Deep Sea Fishing excursion a few times with Mels.

It's Eco-Friendly cause no fish are harmed in the process. :rofl:

But G's right, they will take good care of you. Pick you up at your hotel, a sandwich and a few drinks during the day, etc.

Jonew1
06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
One day left ! congradulations. Have a blast. I am not too far behind you ! I will be looking forward to reading your trip report ! cant wait.

madingo9
06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Been on the "Eco-Friendly" Deep Sea Fishing excursion a few times with Mels.

It's Eco-Friendly cause no fish are harmed in the process. :rofl:

But G's right, they will take good care of you. Pick you up at your hotel, a sandwich and a few drinks during the day, etc.

thanks for the input. i will def check them out.

gdogg
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
thanks for the link; it is what i was looking for. i saw this place mentioned in other places. wanted to ask the board as those opinons would carry more weight.

I've only heard positive reviews from the people I've met that used them. Well, one guy missed the bus because he was with a chica, but I guess that doesn't count.
:wink:

bigcowboyzfan11
06-10-2011, 12:10 PM
The Governor should be in on the 16th of june along with his colleagues. Should be at the Seabreeze of Hotel Don Antonio..

madingo9
06-10-2011, 02:29 PM
thanks all for the help. i am less than 24 hours away and am excited to start my journey.

if i may ask 2 more things.

1. i read on xmendaves tr talking about getting a rental phone. his tr is like 56 pages long and i can't seem to find where he mentioned it. may i ask where the place is to rent--or what page it was on in his tr?

2. there was a great post showing pictures of sosua. where he walked up and down the street pointing stuff out. may i ask what section that was in? i've been looking for a while with no luck.

thanks again.

mad

madingo9
06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
One day left ! congradulations. Have a blast. I am not too far behind you ! I will be looking forward to reading your trip report ! cant wait.

thanks--i can't wait to get there. i will be sure to compile notes for my tr. though i am not sure i can write as well as a number of people on here. quite a few of those tr's are literally opuses.

Jimmydr
06-10-2011, 02:37 PM
2. there was a great post showing pictures of sosua. where he walked up and down the street pointing stuff out. may i ask what section that was in? i've been looking for a while with no luck.

thanks again.

mad

Not a big place at all.

Irie
06-10-2011, 03:00 PM
1. i read on xmendaves tr talking about getting a rental phone. his tr is like 56 pages long and i can't seem to find where he mentioned it. may i ask where the place is to rent--or what page it was on in his tr?

to tell you the truth, I could walk right to the Orange store to get a phone. To describe how to get there....that's a little different.

Best bet is to just ask at the hotel. Plenty of people will point you in the right direction.

Enjoy your trip and be sure to report back.

Irie
06-10-2011, 03:02 PM
thanks all for the help. i am less than 24 hours away and am excited to start my journey.

you probably really, really, really don't need this. your trip is set and you are going to be living it here shortly.

in fact, take some good pics while there and be sure to post when you return

gdogg
06-10-2011, 06:59 PM

if i may ask 2 more things.

thanks again.

mad

All of the info and maps are here:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?574-Sosua-RD-General-Information

weyland
06-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Small bills are difficult to get there. Even breaking a 500 peso note can be a pain.

True. You need lots of 100s and 50s. The way to get them is to take your bank card AND PASSPORT into the bank, make sure you get in the right queue if there are any (usually signed "retiros" for withdrawals) and withdraw money at the teller counter. I always ask for 1000 in 100s and 1000 in 50s when I draw 15,000. Usually I get them but very occasionally they are a bit short of one or other denomination. You can also ask for 500 in coins.

At present I am not riding the motoconchos because of my recent operation so I have amassed a load of 50s.

The other trick is to try and avoid paying with the appropriate bill but try it on with the next one up. For example, if I have to pay 35 pesos, instead of tendering a 50 I will tender a 100. I now do this as a routine and it helps me to amass change. I dont push my luck with too large bills, though.

DASBOOTY
06-10-2011, 07:33 PM
True. You need lots of 100s and 50s. The way to get them is to take your bank card AND PASSPORT into the bank, make sure you get in the right queue if there are any (usually signed "retiros" for withdrawals) and withdraw money at the teller counter. I always ask for 1000 in 100s and 1000 in 50s when I draw 15,000. Usually I get them but very occasionally they are a bit short of one or other denomination. You can also ask for 500 in coins.

What is the rate for an in-branch withdrawl, Weyland? Thanks.

weyland
06-11-2011, 09:08 PM
What is the rate for an in-branch withdrawl, Weyland? Thanks.
I will leave someone else to answer that one. I am not an experienced traveler and have never understood such matters, but I understand it depends which bank in the DR and which is your home bank, and can vary quite a bit. There are been lots of threads on it on DR1.com but after the third post my head always hurts and my eyes glaze over. Sorry!

hugrad95a
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?134831-09-2008-Finding-Your-Way-Around-Sosua.&p=964854#post964854

Dave Diaz
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
thanks--i can't wait to get there. i will be sure to compile notes for my tr. though i am not sure i can write as well as a number of people on here. quite a few of those tr's are literally opuses.

I think what your looking for is this.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111798750051056722944.000486051286601e056d4&source=embed&ll=19.761309,-70.516123&spn=0.031099,0.018067&z=15

which is in this thread by DRCowboy http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?271658-Sosua-Interactive-map/page2

And this one by Erik
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?134831-09-2008-Finding-Your-Way-Around-Sosua.

Dave Diaz
06-24-2011, 10:01 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?134831-09-2008-Finding-Your-Way-Around-Sosua.&p=964854#post964854

Probably should have read this before I posted lol. I see you help everyone professor. GOOD WORK