PDA

View Full Version : Murder, not so serious

NewsWhore
06-21-2011, 05:20 PM
The civic movement, Movimiento Vida sin Violencia is calling for the dismissal of Judge Gabriel Marchena Adames for releasing Pedro Luis Baez Sanchez on bail. Baez Sanchez is accused of murdering his wife, Gleiry Maria Munoz Baez, mother of three of his children, in a cabana in Santiago, as reported in Hoy. The prosecutors were requesting a year's preventive custody for the accused, but the judge ruled that the case was not serious enough, as reported in Hoy. Santiago prosecutor Yeni Berenice Reynoso said she would not comply with the judge's decision. "I am the prosecutor and I direct prosecutors. I do not have power over the judges, but certainly this is not the first time that there have been issues of this kind with this judge, where he thinks that this is a crime that does not merit preventive custody." Reynoso said that although this case involves a murder, the accused was released 48 hours after his arrest "in a hapless and irresponsible way."

A page 2 editorial in El Caribe congratulated Reynoso. "Reynoso's decision has been backed by many organizations, including Movimiento Vida sin Violencia, to stop what is a denial of justice and an incentive to those who engage in abuse and violence against defenseless women. This sets a precedent against impunity."

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#11)