PDA

View Full Version : Canadian's death in Dominican Republic suspicious, police say

gmalet
06-27-2011, 05:05 PM
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1015355--canadian-s-death-in-dominican-republic-suspicious-police-say?bn=1

Alyshah Hasham
Staff Reporter
Police are investigating after the body of a Toronto man was found in suspicious circumstances in an apartment in the Dominican Republic.

Marcel G. Adam, 68, was found dead in his apartment in Sosua, a beach village east of Puerto Plata on Friday, according to a local newspaper.

The body showed signs of violence and police suspected he may have been robbed and left lying in the room for days, local news reports said. A report in Detras del Rumor indicated Adam’s death may have been caused by a gunshot or fatal blow on the head with a sharp object.

In Toronto, Adam’s wife, Claudette, told the Star she is waiting for an autopsy report to find out the cause of death. A “For Sale” sign is posted on the lawn of their home on Walker Ave., off of Yonge St.

In an email, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada said they are aware of the death of a Canadian citizen in the Dominican Republic and that “consular officials at the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo are working closely with local authorities to gather additional information and are providing consular assistance to the family.”

Quebec’s TVA News reported Sunday that a friend found Adam’s body on Friday upon arriving to drive Adam to the airport for a flight back to Canada.

Another unnamed friend of Adam’s told TVA News he had been to Adam’s apartment earlier in the week and seen a window open, which he said was unusual.

“This was someone who had a lot of money and showed it and talked about it,” the friend said in French.

Adam was found in his apartment in Sosua’s 120-unit Caribe Campo complex, where he had lived for three years and owned five apartments.

Last year, there were two violent incidents involving Canadians in the Sosua area. Jean Gagne of Quebec City was robbed at gunpoint, and shot in the chest, according to local police. A Quebec woman was also fatally stabbed in her home on a ranch near Sosua that same year.

In 2004, a 76-year-old Toronto man was hit over the head with a blunt object and strangled.

“Sosua has gained a bad reputation for prostitutes, minors and drugs,” said Norbert Preis, a German expatriate who runs an Internet message board aiming to track crime in the Dominican Republic, where he now lives.

There have also been a number of kidnappings on the island. In March, two Canadians were held for ransom in Santo Domingo. And in 2009, a Hamilton man was abducted at gunpoint from his home in Sosua, and returned unharmed after three weeks.

Last February, Jordan Morrison, 19, of Barrie, was fatally beaten outside a Punta Cana nightclub while vacationing with his family in the Dominican Republic

Nakom
06-27-2011, 05:23 PM
There have also been a number of kidnappings on the island. And in 2009, a Hamilton man was abducted at gunpoint from his home in Sosua, and returned unharmed after three weeks.

Hey look at that - Apo-man made the Toronto Star!

This of course, is the most relevant part of the story:

“This was someone who had a lot of money and showed it and talked about it,”

whynotme
06-27-2011, 05:38 PM
“This was someone who had a lot of money and showed it and talked about it,”

exactly and all that bragging about being richer than thou got him killed

michel3275
06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Other people who lived in the same place he did talked about him on the news today in Montreal, looks like he liked to brag and show he had money. He always had lots of jewelry and money on him, in the street and at the beach. People told him lots of time it was dangerous and that he shouldnt carry around so much valuables.
He lived there for the the last 4 years and had many many trips under his belt before that. That proves that some learn faster and others will never learn

weyland
06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Considering he died, whereupon everyone usually immediately becomes a jolly good fellow (even hated politicians), they are not very sympathetic about him on DR1:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/116113-canadian-man-found-dead-sos.html

gdogg
06-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Considering he died, whereupon everyone usually immediately becomes a jolly good fellow (even hated politicians), they are not very sympathetic about him on DR1:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/116113-canadian-man-found-dead-sos.html

Man!! They were brutal over there!
:confused4:

gdogg
06-27-2011, 10:51 PM
exactly and all that bragging about being richer than thou got him killed

Hey whynot...did you know him?

whynotme
06-28-2011, 02:47 AM
Hey whynot...did you know him?

no never met him

not my type of person to hang with.......but if he had of had a cute great grand daughter well then i might make an effort:mrgreen:

whynotme
06-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Man!! They were brutal over there!
:confused4:

:confused::confused::confused:
i didnt think they were that negative, but then again when i die if thats all the bad they can say about me i will be relieved:rofl::rofl:not that i will care at that point any way:iconTU:

gmalet
06-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Dominican Police: Arrest imminent in murder of Canadian

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2011/6/27/40037/Dominican-Police-Arrest-imminent-in-murder-of-Canadian

Santo Domingo.- A Police Captain in Puerto Plata province affirmed Monday that an arrest in the murder of the Canadian national Marcel Adam over the weekend in the resort town Sosua is imminent.

Citing reasons of a fast moving investigation and the clampdown imposed by the Puerto Plata province Office of the DA, the Police official refused to provide further details, but said the Assistant DA Elvis Garcia is in charge of the case.

He said investigators of the Office of the DA and Police were already waiting the issuing of the arrest warrant to detain the woman, yet to identify.

Adam, who police said was 68, is from Quebec, according to news souce The Province.

Young Hero
06-28-2011, 12:26 PM
My favorite is "My condolences to the whore mongers family".

ilovegirls
06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
seems like its always a Canadian getting slaughtered in the DR.

sopranostingray
06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Dominicans get killed here in the DR each day and once in a while an expat. Shit happens when you fuck with the wrong people.

Dafishguy
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
The best advice I can give anybody coming here for a visit is "Keep a low profile" This dude definately did not.

Don't flash cash, jewelery or anything else that shouts "I have cash" It will just get you in trouble or worse.

Yes, Keep a low profile and you'll be just fine. Or just hang with TNT72, Wicked Willie, Balcoach, Ryatt. Robertmanynumbers or Naptime. Nobody fucks with those dudes. I know a few other ISOC guys who would make this list as well.

weyland
06-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Or just hang with ... Robertmanynumbers. Nobody fucks with those dudes.
Yes, fuck with him and he will go postal on you. Especially if you ask him for large sums of money owed like 19 pesos.

Funny, I never really considered Roberto in the Seagal/Diesel/Van Damme bracket before. More like Barney the Dinosaur. I will be more careful in future about yanking on his chain.