PDA

View Full Version : C4I makes debut

NewsWhore
11-17-2006, 02:30 PM
The Armed Forces have taken a step further into the 21st Century with their surveillance technology, C4I. This hi-tech equipment will help the Armed Forces combat drug trafficking, conduct surveillance and protect maritime and land border zones. The sophisticated equipment, which cost US$50 million, is part of a bi-lateral agreement between the DR and Italy and is now one of the most advanced surveillance systems in the region, according to Diario Libre. Only Cuba and Puerto Rico are more advanced, but the Dominican surveillance system is on par with systems used in Chile, Venezuela and Argentina. The integrated communications network is made up of four important parts. The first is a network of telephone lines supported by the erection of 16 towers around the country, a mobile network of 2.4GHZ, an administrative network HF, which will be used by the Navy, and the tactical network, used by the Army. The C4I system allows for voice, image and data transmission in fractions of a second and can be disabled at the control center if it ever were to fall into the wrong hands.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#9)