PDA

View Full Version : Is Pj's restaurant closed?

Apos
07-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Rumour is that PJ's is closed...permanently.

Perhaps someone currently in Sosua could confirm this?

Thanks

princepointe
07-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Rumour is that PJ's is closed...permanently.

Perhaps someone currently in Sosua could confirm this?

Thanks

Hmmmm. I'd like to know also. They had some really good fried chicken at 3am. lol

CaseOne
07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Good fish soup!

Jonew1
07-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Good fish soup!

FIsh soup sounds incredibly Horrible.... Specially from a resturant that is unsanitary like everyone is saying. I think tha last thing anyone would want to eat at a dirty resturant would be any type of sea food

Jimmydr
07-09-2011, 09:31 AM
FIsh soup sounds incredibly Horrible.... Specially from a resturant that is unsanitary like everyone is saying. I think tha last thing anyone would want to eat at a dirty resturant would be any type of sea food

If you go into the campo and try some, you will be back for more. As long as its fresh, its good.

Jonew1
07-09-2011, 09:36 AM
If you go into the campo and try some, you will be back for more. As long as its fresh, its good.

I bet it tastes fishy as hell. lol... seriously though

Jimmydr
07-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I bet it tastes fishy as hell. lol... seriously though

Some of the best food that I ever had was in the campo.

Jonew1
07-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I dont know I cant say for my self. I have always wanted to go and get off the beaten path in sosua and see what can be found but I can never find anyone with as big of a sense of adventure that i have. ( I suppose thats what the problem is anyway. )I would love to go and check it out. I bet there are some fine ass chicas out there that have lots of potential.

Jimmydr
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
I dont know I cant say for my self. I have always wanted to go and get off the beaten path in sosua and see what can be found but I can never find anyone with as big of a sense of adventure that i have. ( I suppose thats what the problem is anyway. )I would love to go and check it out. I bet there are some fine ass chicas out there that have lots of potential.

Well if you go to the nearby campo's, you may notice that you have seen many of them around Sosua already.

There is a very large one outside of Caberete.

Find yourself a moto guy that you know, ask him where he lives and ask to go on a tour and have lunch and or a beer there.

Dave Diaz
07-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Well if you go to the nearby campo's, you may notice that you have seen many of them around Sosua already.

There is a very large one outside of Caberete.

Find yourself a moto guy that you know, ask him where he lives and ask to go on a tour and have lunch and or a beer there.

Agreed on that. I'm bad with food so I don't got a personal personal experience but I brought some dulces (spanish for sweets but its not like candy...I dunno exactly how to translate it to english but maybe hugrad will bless us with a definition) and I couldn't find it in the supermarket. I wanted ones made by hand freshh. So I told my motto and he took me to the campo, he said that's the only place I could get it.

Long story short I thought they looked weird as hell these dulces but my dad and my fam lovedddddd them. They were asking where I got this from. If I took you where I went in sosua bajo or charimichos (I confuse the two) its not some attractive and eye catching spot but the lady or people who did it for me did a great job.

They made like 8 bottles in a day, from like noon to maybe 9 or 10pm when I got them. Foood is good and dominicans love to coook.

Point of my post is you can find great things in the campo from food to chicas. But is pjs reallyy closed?? I liked that pjs was open so late so if you needed something to eat real late they were always available.

I'm sure something else will take its place if its gone.

Lol when jones mentioned about the soup I just thought of that seinfekd episode where george found a rubber band in his soup. Pacooo

hugrad95a
07-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Agreed on that. I'm bad with food so I don't got a personal personal experience but I brought some dulces (spanish for sweets but its not like candy...I dunno exactly how to translate it to english but maybe hugrad will bless us with a definition) and I couldn't find it in the supermarket. I wanted ones made by hand freshh. So I told my motto and he took me to the campo, he said that's the only place I could get it.

Long story short I thought they looked weird as hell these dulces but my dad and my fam lovedddddd them. They were asking where I got this from. If I took you where I went in sosua bajo or charimichos (I confuse the two) its not some attractive and eye catching spot but the lady or people who did it for me did a great job.

They made like 8 bottles in a day, from like noon to maybe 9 or 10pm when I got them. Foood is good and dominicans love to coook.

Point of my post is you can find great things in the campo from food to chicas. But is pjs reallyy closed?? I liked that pjs was open so late so if you needed something to eat real late they were always available.

I'm sure something else will take its place if its gone.

Lol when jones mentioned about the soup I just thought of that seinfekd episode where george found a rubber band in his soup. Pacooo

Dulces de la abuela.... muy sabroso...

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/photos2/ta-012e-d85e-1cb5/dulces-artesanales-n3-san-cristobal-dominican-republic+1152_13014187109-tpfil02aw-30067.jpg

gmalet
07-09-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=2646&article=1

From Sosua News

This is a "feedback" from Barbara from Sosua(This is a Dutch "Feedback" translated by the editors)
Today, Friday, there was a meeting between the entrepreneurs of Sosúa, particularly from the Pedro Clisante, the taxi drivers / carros Publico and a representative of Politur. The reason for this meeting (on invitation of the entrepreneurs), is the often inappropriate and aggressive actions of the tourist police against women, as often discussed on this forum. With the sad nadir the massive raid a few weeks ago, with exaggerated police and army abuse which lasted several hours.
On behalf of the Politur, the supervisor of the North Coast said that Politur acts in a correct and appropriate manner, they know what they have to do and they will continue the same way and perhaps even more strictly. On arguments and comments from entrepreneurs such as that prostitution is not even prohibited by law, why each woman walking alone is considered a prostitute, why Politur should act in such a harsh way like fighting and verbal abuse, fact is prostitution unfortunately still is a necessary thing because it is the only thing that still brings a few tourists to Sosúa, etc.etc. was not or very briefly answered, for that this meeting has brought nothing except that we know Sosúa still fails to get any nicer! For completeness there has to be said that other authorities like the mayor, representatives of the Ministry of Tourism and the province, who were all invited, were not present!
It was also announced that the famous PJ's restaurant has closed its doors today, also within a few days even Restaurant La Roca and Happy Bar will cease their activities (temporary?).
Since last week, the RIU Mambo in Puerto Plata is closed.

Jimmydr
07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
You can take the 13 minute Gwa Gwa ride to this road outside of Caberete

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?303102-To-the-ISOC-Ex-Pats-and-long-timers-in-the-Sosua-area

There are restaurants and bars here and you can get a quality haircut and shave here cheap. Its nears Omns place

dukes1963
07-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Sad to hear if La Roca is closing, enjoyed their steaks and had the seafood buffet in May.

uncle ruckus
07-09-2011, 11:51 AM

From Sosua News

This is a "feedback" from Barbara from Sosua(This is a Dutch "Feedback" translated by the editors)
Today, Friday, there was a meeting between the entrepreneurs of Sosúa, particularly from the Pedro Clisante, the taxi drivers / carros Publico and a representative of Politur. The reason for this meeting (on invitation of the entrepreneurs), is the often inappropriate and aggressive actions of the tourist police against women, as often discussed on this forum. With the sad nadir the massive raid a few weeks ago, with exaggerated police and army abuse which lasted several hours.
On behalf of the Politur, the supervisor of the North Coast said that Politur acts in a correct and appropriate manner, they know what they have to do and they will continue the same way and perhaps even more strictly. On arguments and comments from entrepreneurs such as that prostitution is not even prohibited by law, why each woman walking alone is considered a prostitute, why Politur should act in such a harsh way like fighting and verbal abuse, fact is prostitution unfortunately still is a necessary thing because it is the only thing that still brings a few tourists to Sosúa, etc.etc. was not or very briefly answered, for that this meeting has brought nothing except that we know Sosúa still fails to get any nicer! For completeness there has to be said that other authorities like the mayor, representatives of the Ministry of Tourism and the province, who were all invited, were not present!
It was also announced that the famous PJ's restaurant has closed its doors today, also within a few days even Restaurant La Roca and Happy Bar will cease their activities (temporary?).
Since last week, the RIU Mambo in Puerto Plata is closed.

Wow, things really are rough. The Riu resorts in Pto Plata were always packed to capacity. If they're having trouble staying open, I can imagine that the smaller operators are having a much harder time.

SeaWeed
07-09-2011, 06:19 PM

It was also announced that the famous PJ's restaurant has closed its doors today, also within a few days even Restaurant La Roca and Happy Bar will cease their activities (temporary?).the writing has been on the wall about businesses closing because of their new mandate in Sosua

big tee
07-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Damn!!...i luved pj"s...oh well....Big D will b gettin my pesos!!

miggy99
07-10-2011, 08:23 AM
If you go into the campo and try some, you will be back for more. As long as its fresh, its good. Could you please tell me best way get to campo from Sosua---Thanks

uncle ruckus
07-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Could you please tell me best way get to campo from Sosua---Thanks

Uhh, which campo do do you want to go to? Campo is a generic word for the poor, rural areas of the country. Basically every place outside a city is a campo. So in the most general terms, an answer to your question would be to just drive outside of Sosua for a half hour in any direction, and voila, you're in the campo.

miggy99
07-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Uhh, which campo do do you want to go to? Campo is a generic word for the poor, rural areas of the country. Basically every place outside a city is a campo. So in the most general terms, an answer to your question would be to just drive outside of Sosua for a half hour in any direction, and voila, you're in the campo. thanks RUCKUS some of the lingo I am not accustom to---thanks again for your response

JD426
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I always thought Campo= COUNTRY side or NOT city..
It does NOT mean "bad neighborhood " in any sense of the word.
but some are nicer than others ..if they are NEAR a road where tourists might travel, then usually you can see who owns a business and who is less fortunate. .
many times you even see solid cement work, but never finished.. they ran out of money.. the homes finished, and painted in new bright colors, are probably the ones doing really well for themselves.
here in NY NJ we would call it the SUBURBS..
unfortunately the suburbs there, usually come without indoor plumbing, and steady electricity.

uncle ruckus
07-10-2011, 05:04 PM
but some are nicer than others ..if they are NEAR a road where tourists might travel, then usually you can see who owns a business and who is less fortunate. .
many times you even see solid cement work, but never finished.. they ran out of money.. the homes finished, and painted in new bright colors, are probably the ones doing really well for themselves.
unfortunately the suburbs there, usually come without indoor plumbing, and steady electricity.

The vast, vast majority are not bad neighborhoods, but they are poor. I think suburbs is too nice of a comparison. Campo is straight out rural with an economy that is still mostly subsistence agricultural based. Part of the family might be traveling into the city to work/study, but I'd bet that a lot of the food in that family is coming from a family conuco or from livestock that they own.

balcoach
07-10-2011, 07:18 PM
as of 7PM sunday 10 July

PJ's CLOSED
LaRoca...Open
Happy Bar...Open

MrHappy
07-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Right you are.!

For rich folks in Santo Domingo, Punta Cana and Casa de Campo are "Campo"

jose1234
07-11-2011, 11:11 AM
You can take the 13 minute Gwa Gwa ride to this road outside of Caberete

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?303102-To-the-ISOC-Ex-Pats-and-long-timers-in-the-Sosua-area

There are restaurants and bars here and you can get a quality haircut and shave here cheap. Its nears Omns place

Yes, I've been down that street and it's cleaner than most Sosua streets and cheaper too to eat and get a beer. I have not gone because I don't know anyone who would want to go with me. Its all Dominican with the exception of a mission type place where locals can get schooling and some medical help cheap or free and where some westerners come to donate their vacation time to help the less fortunate... I know a number of the people that work for me live in that area and so I would just go as a general tourist...

WickedWillie
07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, I've been down that street and it's cleaner than most Sosua streets and cheaper too to eat and get a beer. I have not gone because I don't know anyone who would want to go with me. Its all Dominican with the exception of a mission type place where locals can get schooling and some medical help cheap or free and where some westerners come to donate their vacation time to help the less fortunate... I know a number of the people that work for me live in that area and so I would just go as a general tourist...

Thanks to that ladrone mayor who paved the streets just prior to the election last year, whilst ignoring the main highway just past your place and the sidewalks in the town center. Did someone say 'no votes' are available there.!!!!!!:lol:

There are plenty of gringos that live the Dominican lifestyle there but there isn't really anything of interest tourist wise with the exception of the caves.

jcrew2020
07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
many times you even see solid cement work, but never finished.. they ran out of money..

Campo = country
Barrio = inner city

They dont run out of money. People here pay cash. No mortages. For that reason, they take their time building a house. They will buy the property. Wait a few years, build a block house, wait a few years and finish it. In the end, they own the house and have no payments.

MrHappy
07-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Campo = country
Barrio = inner city

They dont run out of money. People here pay cash. No mortages. For that reason, they take their time building a house. They will buy the property. Wait a few years, build a block house, wait a few years and finish it. In the end, they own the house and have no payments.

That method is extremely popular in Puerto Rico as well. It gives quite the feeling of accomplishment when you move into your paid for home.

It's also very common to finish one side of the house, and live in it while they finish the other half.

JD426
07-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Campo = country
Barrio = inner city

ok thanks for the clarification. Didnt mean to infer that the people abandoned their land and whatever structure was visibly there or was repo'd by the bank.
But arent we both saying the same thing ? They buy the land,ok got that.
Then they build the mortar or block house as you call it. I assume they want to live there. ? But they have to wait for more money to finish it and move it... If I see rusted Rebarb stickiing out of cement work, one would just assume it was a money issue, since obviously a lot of time has elapsed and there is no visible activity.
or one could assume there was a discrepancy with ownership, or someone died ? Either way its a little different from what we are used to seeing, A year or 2 break is a long time . but I do admire how they do it, as they can ..
God knows I would love to have NO mortgage..
We Americans definitely tend to live above our means, and Its really SICK to think that what we spend(waste) on say Electric to keep our homes air conditioned just the way we like it , a Whole family in the DR could RESUME with the building of their Dream house.

uncle ruckus
07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Campo = country
Barrio = inner city

Many times, the construction depends on the NY family members sending the money over to continue the construction. A former coworker worked weekends bagging groceries just for tips in a supermarket in Queens. It took him about 10 years, but just on those tips he got from bagging groceries, he built the nicest house in his campo. When he moved back to enjoy his home he was elected sindico of the municipality. He told me that his neighbors said that if he was able to build that house, maybe he could do something about the unpaved roads.