PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: to all you mongers currently in Sosua or on the north coast

Apos
11-25-2006, 06:07 PM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35098

please do not use this as a travel night.

have a read of post #27 in the link above.

it may be very dangerous travelling outside of the El Batey in Sosua or other established tourist areas. save the trip to santiago or puerto plata for another time and be safe.

we wouldn't want to lose any members.
if you need info ir assistance you can call Marco (Rocky) on his cell at 809-841-6961.

have a great vacation but please don't take any unnecessary risks. it's a little different out there right now.

Beads
11-25-2006, 06:30 PM
yea I heard theres riotting going on. I had heard last night even in Sosua they might be closing the bars down as early as 10pm. Hopefully this will all be over in 2 weeks when im down there.

Apos
11-25-2006, 06:33 PM
nothing to panic about but something to be taken seriously.

just don't want to hear of one of us going "off the beaten path"
and ending up dead from being "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

huelgas are no joke.

Apos
11-25-2006, 06:35 PM
i hope between the scarface mansion and the new garden hotel there's enough FUN to keep all the boys happy in sosua...i know i'd be THRILLED to be there now:corky:

WSJ3
11-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I am sure that the locals are angry at this tragedy but I remember back in March 06 when they were rioting and it died down shortly thereafter.

As my wingman always says "They live day to day in DR" I do not believe that they will maintain this kind of behavior for any length of time.

nothing to panic about but something to be taken seriously.

just don't want to hear of one of us going "off the beaten path"
and ending up dead from being "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

huelgas are no joke.

Rocky
11-25-2006, 08:58 PM
I am sure that the locals are angry at this tragedy but I remember back in March 06 when they were rioting and it died down shortly thereafter.

As my wingman always says "They live day to day in DR" I do not believe that they will maintain this kind of behavior for any length of time.100% correct, but it was touch and go earlier on.
It's raining now, so that will put out the fires.

WSJ3
11-25-2006, 09:00 PM
100% correct, but it was touch and go earlier on.

I hope no one else gets hurt...

I have many friends that live in Abajo...

kiddfrost
11-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Shits getting serious huh... Everyone need to be on his Ps & Qs. Keep your head down and let the good times roll. Be safe gents.

WSJ3
11-25-2006, 09:09 PM
100% correct, but it was touch and go earlier on.

Rocky how is the "climate" in Sousa right now.

Are people afraid or is it business as usual.

Rocky
11-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Rocky how is the "climate" in Sousa right now.

Are people afraid or is it business as usual.El Batey is normal, other than it's raining right now, so that would slow down any demonstrations.
I'm a bit pissed right now, as the cops shot & killed my GF's half brother tonight, right in front of her best friend's eyes.
I've been sitting with them for the last few hours, and they ain't taking it too well, as you can imagine.
The police, allegedly were trying to break up the huelga, and started friing shots.
One of them entered the back of Jose's head, and blew his eye out the front.
Not a pretty sight.
I know this doesn't have anything to do with tourism, nor have any effect on it, and may not be even appropriate for me to post here, but, like I said, I'm pissed!

Apos
11-25-2006, 10:23 PM
i'm very sorry to hear this.

it's fine to post here. it certainly shows that things get extreme at a time like this.

i hope your friends are alright.

El Batey is normal, other than it's raining right now, so that would slow down any demonstrations.
I'm a bit pissed right now, as the cops shot & killed my GF's half brother tonight, right in front of her best friend's eyes.
I've been sitting with them for the last few hours, and they ain't taking it too well, as you can imagine.
The police, allegedly were trying to break up the huelga, and started friing shots.
Not a pretty sight.
I know this doesn't have anything to do with tourism, nor have any effect on it, and may not be even appropriate for me to post here, but, like I said, I'm pissed!

ilikenyacional
11-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Sorry to hear that, Marco.

Stay safe.

the_Jayman
11-25-2006, 11:58 PM
holly shit . . .

Beads
11-26-2006, 12:12 AM
it definitely effects tourism. tourists dont want to come someplace where people are being killed.Glad your safe keep it that way.

BCell
11-26-2006, 01:50 AM
my condolences to you and your friends marco

WSJ3
11-26-2006, 02:41 AM
I am sorry that this occurred.

Please convey my condolesences to your girlfriend and her family.

El Batey is normal, other than it's raining right now, so that would slow down any demonstrations.
Not a pretty sight.

continentalmike
11-26-2006, 04:34 AM
Not a pretty sight.

Marco,

I hope things will die down.. my condoleances to your gf and yourself.

Best regards,

C-Mike

jensenspecial
11-26-2006, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=. Keep your head down and let the good times roll. Be safe gents.[/QUOTE]

thatīs what I keep telling my Passion girls all the time ...this is why they are always safe and happy !!!!!!

jensenspecial
11-26-2006, 08:39 AM
sorry to hear that Marco....cops are going wild !!!

Rocky
11-26-2006, 09:27 AM
it definitely effects tourism. tourists dont want to come someplace where people are being killed.Glad your safe keep it that way.I meant in a different sense.
There's no doubt, that some may not come, out of fear.
I was refering to the fact that these occurences are not in the tourist zones and are not directed towards tourists.
The reason for this advisory, was to assure that our good friends, do not stumble into the wrong areas, as many like to go visiting their friends in the barrios.

psriches
11-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Not a pretty sight.
I know this doesn't have anything to do with tourism, nor have any effect on it, and may not be even appropriate for me to post here, but, like I said, I'm pissed!My condolences as well! And thank you so much for the valuable information. We do appreciate it!

TG37
11-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Rocky my condolences to you and your girlfriend ..

Cuba Libre
11-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Not a pretty sight.Whew, sorry to hear about that. My condolences to you and your GF's family.

It sounds like things are getting out of hand.

Cuba Libre
11-26-2006, 02:20 PM
The reason for this advisory, was to assure that our good friends, do not stumble into the wrong areas, as many like to go visiting their friends in the barrios.Unfortunately, the days of hanging out in the barrios without having to watch your back are long since gone.

Rocky
11-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately, the days of hanging out in the barrios without having to watch your back are long since gone.I would never want to put anyone in harm's way, but I think your statement is incorrect.
Right now, yes, the Sosua barrios are risky.
It would not be smart to go there now, in case things erupt again.
Huelgas are the standard Dominican reaction to issues they want to protest, and it's wise to avoid them.
As for general safety in the barrios, it will be no different after it calms down, than it was before.

leeway99
11-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Hang in there Rocky
My condolences to you and your family.

Apos
11-26-2006, 04:03 PM
i'm watching channel 10 (costa norte news) live (last nights video with live commentary (via webcam, thanks Rocky) and it is scary. very graphic TV too. i hope anyone there has the sense to stay safe cause it's sure not over yet.:eek:

it's not anywhere near as bad as it was but still....if i was there i'd be hanging at the mansion/condo/new garden and having fun without the danger.

Apos
11-26-2006, 04:04 PM
off topic but FYI skype video is far superior to msn. much faster framerate and clearer.

Cuba Libre
11-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I would never want to put anyone in harm's way, but I think your statement is incorrect.
Right now, yes, the Sosua barrios are risky.
It would not be smart to go there now, in case things erupt again.
Huelgas are the standard Dominican reaction to issues they want to protest, and it's wise to avoid them.
As for general safety in the barrios, it will be no different after it calms down, than it was before.I was making a general comment that the barrios (especially at night) are not as safe as they used to be. Years ago, I would have no problem walking alone at night in most barrios. These days are quite different, I don't feel as safe.

moshy2k
11-26-2006, 04:24 PM
What does Huelgas mean??? Anyone??

Apos
11-26-2006, 04:27 PM
if you want to watch, now WITH sound, hookup to Rocky's webcam, rockysbluesbar@yahoo.com

many thanks to rocky for this and all the updates!

Apos
11-26-2006, 04:30 PM
What does Huelgas mean??? Anyone??it's a strike or in this case like a protest.

(it can also mean to idle...which makes sense since they block off the streets.)

Apos
11-26-2006, 05:18 PM
this is an amazing use of technology although at a sad time but there are a ton of people watching this thru rocky's cam...with sound!
if you want to watch, now WITH sound, hookup to Rocky's webcam, rockysbluesbar@yahoo.com

Apos
11-26-2006, 05:36 PM
using yahoo messenger enter rockysbluesbar@yahoo.com as a new contact. then hit view my webcam and you should be hooked up.

WSJ3
11-26-2006, 05:37 PM
There is no sound.

Too bad. I would love to hear what they are saying.

Apos
11-26-2006, 05:54 PM
you should have. i had to "unmute" then it worked for me
There is no sound.

Too bad. I would love to hear what they are saying.

Apos
11-26-2006, 05:56 PM
now would b e a goodtime to be watching. they're showing the recorded "live" footage from last night, again. intense!

WSJ3
11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
you should have. i had to "unmute" then it worked for me

Its working now Rocky sent me a voice chat.

Apos
11-26-2006, 06:10 PM
cool. he's recording it now for future playback

Rocky
11-26-2006, 07:15 PM
cool. he's recording it now for future playbackI did get some interesting stuff recorded, but the files are huge, a la gigabites.
The only way anyone can see them, is to webcam the file playing on my PC, but not tonight.
I've had enough action, the last few days.
There is an interesting portion that I recorded, from the lady reporter who was with Ceballo when he was killed, and she affirms, that it was NOT an attempt to arrest, and unquestionably an ambush, where they blocked him in front and back, and with covered faces and automatic weapons, blasted him and his vehicle.
Now let's hope, this brings the drug problem into the forefront, and something good comes of this.

Apos
11-26-2006, 07:17 PM
some good should come of this

Cuba Libre
11-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Now let's hope, this brings the drug problem into the forefront, and something good comes of this.Amen .

Citynights
11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Rocky my deepest condolances to your girlfriend and her family... I hope things will work out for the better...take care of yourself...be safe

Rocky
11-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Cristina send her thanks to all the well wishers, and says it's comforting to know that so many people have her in their thoughts.
She also sends a special thanks for the contributions sent to her by the expat community.

eldorob
11-29-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm a bit pissed right now, as the cops shot & killed my GF's half brother tonight,

Very Sorry to hear that...my condolonces

eldorob
11-29-2006, 07:33 AM
It seems from the previous posts that this didn't have much affect in el Batey. What if any affect does it have in los Charimicos. And have things died down overall as was predicted?

Just curious as I plan on spending some time in los Charimicos next week. Thanks in advance for any info....

RSMMAN
11-29-2006, 10:03 AM
HERE ARE SOME DR TV LINKS ...
http://pointers.audiovideoweb.com/asxfiles-live/il81winlive2024.asx

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Rocky
11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
It seems from the previous posts that this didn't have much affect in el Batey. What if any affect does it have in los Charimicos. And have things died down overall as was predicted?

Just curious as I plan on spending some time in los Charimicos next week. Thanks in advance for any info....Should be no problem at all, but rest asured, if anything is in the making, we will advise everybody, but it's highly unlikely.

Downtown
11-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Marco,

My sincere condolences amigo. My thoughts and support are with you and your girlfriends family.