PDA

View Full Version : Government mute on WikiLeaks revelations

NewsWhore
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
The Fernandez administration is keeping mute on revelations in WikiLeaks documents containing critical descriptions of top military officials. So far, only senator Wilton Guerrero (PLD, Peravia) has spoken out on the issue. Guerrero was the first government official to denounce drug trafficking penetration of high offices following the Paya 6-person murder case in Bani in 2008.

Guerrero said that the Executive Branch should have replaced the high-ranking Armed Forces officers accused of committing "indiscretions" in their work before the publication of the classified documents. As reported in Hoy, Guerrero said that for many years the word on the street placed Manuel de Jesus Florentino Florentino, Rafael Bencosme Candelier and Jose Munoz Moncion on the list of corrupt officers. As reported in El Caribe, Guerrero did not specify which "indiscreet or illegal activities" they were involved in, but recognized that the Armed Forces and the Police were tainted by the evils of corruption. The WikiLeaks documents, based on internal documents sent from the US Embassy in the Dominican Republic to the US State Department mentions it had information linking Retired General Florentino Florentino to drug trafficker Quirino Ernesto Paulino. Florentino Florentino is the director of the Border Development Directorate.

El Caribe reports that Presidency Minister Cesar Pina Toribio refused to comment on the publication. Pina Toribio said he maintains the same opinion as when the WikiLeaks documents on issues with the Supreme Court of Justice was published. "I have no opinion, I have already referred to that, and I do not plan to refer to it again, I have already said what I was going to say."

Foreign Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso described the revelations as "mere WikiGossip".

Diario Libre could not get feedback from the government either, on the revelations of WikiLeak cables that link military close to President Leonel Fernandez in corruption and drug trafficking. In the documents, there are mentions of four high-ranking officials in Fernandez administration n Chief of the Presidential Military Aides Corps, General Hector Medina Medina; the director of the Border Development Directorate retired General Manuel de Jesus Florentino Florentino, or former director of the Metropolitan Transport Authority, retired General Rafael Bencosme, and Navy Rear Admiral Jose Munoz Moncion and how the Embassy objected their promotions.

http://www.dr1.com/news/2011/dnews072611.shtml

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#3)