PDA

View Full Version : Flying into STI at 3am

gonzalez
07-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi guys will be heading down to DR in late august sometime and i am flying into STI on Spirit Air. Can you guys tell me the safest and best way to get to Sousa. This will be my first time in DR.

TNT72
07-31-2011, 06:11 PM
You have two choices. Grab a taxi to Caribe tours, and wait until they open and catch the bus to Sosua. Not sure how much the taxi is, but the bus will cost you a couple hundred pesos. You should get to Sosua around 9-10ish.

Not sure your cash flow, but I prefer to hire a private taxi. Cost $80. Gets me to Sosua around 5am. Still time to hit After1.

Drop me a pm, and I'll try to help out.

Dave Diaz
07-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi guys will be heading down to DR in late august sometime and i am flying into STI on Spirit Air. Can you guys tell me the safest and best way to get to Sousa. This will be my first time in DR.

As TNT stated below those are your two choices but at 3am you wont be able to catch the buses, you will have to wait until the morning when the buses are up and running. I believe that is anywhere from 6 to 9am (9am is extreme dont worry :smile: )

A private taxi I believe is the best way to go, when I came in late for the first time through STI I ended up paying a large amount with a couple who was also headed up to puerto plata. Those Taxi's are crazy though, the ones who are there they will try to get you for up to 100 dollars and tell you 85 to 90 is a deal for when you come back.

Personally though your better off working with someone from the board who can probably help arrange for someone to pick you up, a private taxi who they hold in good confidence and will probably cut you a break instead of trying to rip you off.

Just my opinion. Best of luck to you on your trip amigo.

Irie
07-31-2011, 06:37 PM
You have two choices. Grab a taxi to Caribpe tours, and wait until they open and catch the bus to Sosua. Not sure how much the taxi is, but the bus will cost you a couple hundred pesos. You should get to Sosua around 9-10ish.

Not sure your cash flow, but I prefer to hire a private taxi. Cost $80. Gets me to Sosua around 5am. Still time to hit After1.

Drop me a pm, and I'll try to help out.

Damn you beat me too it.

Read tnt or a nap report amongst others for this.

Or just search "caribe" on the site and the info will be there for you. Have a great trip!

TNT72
07-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Nap and I have the number for a guy. No rip-offs. $80 late night, and $75 daytime. My last debacle I June, the guy thought I was hammered and didnt have a clue what I was doing. He quoted me $125.

Yes I was hammered, but he ended up taking me for $80. Prob could have got him to $70, but I needed to sleep.

Irie
07-31-2011, 06:51 PM
So your negotiating skills don't waver with ratios to alcohol intake??? LOL

Dave Diaz
07-31-2011, 07:00 PM
Nap and I have the number for a guy. No rip-offs. $80 late night, and $75 daytime. My last debacle I June, the guy thought I was hammered and didnt have a clue what I was doing. He quoted me $125.

Yes I was hammered, but he ended up taking me for $80. Prob could have got him to $70, but I needed to sleep.

AMENNNNN. I got a number to a guy if you need it too. I had him pick up a member from another board that I am cool with off the boards, and it worked out well. But definitely make a prior arrangement like this one above or you could get hit with the 125 and you'll quickly understand how valueable that extra 50 dollars is when you start chica hunting :mrgreen:

So many better ways to spend $50 which is almost 1900 pesos.

jacknback
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
When I got into STI on the early morning flight,if I was alone and taking the bus(cause there ain't no way this cheap MFr is spending $80 for a couple of hours difference in arrival time)I stayed at the airport(safety issues)untill about 5:30 and then grabbed a taxi to the Metro bus station.(I like them better than Caribe)No particular reason,just do,plus the drop off in Sosua is one block from the strip and has a Farmacia if you need La Pella or Mambo!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

gonzalez
07-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys for your input into this matter. I think i will be in contact by PM with some of you about hiring a private taxi. One thing...do you think it would be a problem checking in early that morning at the New garden?

Dave Diaz
07-31-2011, 09:59 PM
When I got into STI on the early morning flight,if I was alone and taking the bus(cause there ain't no way this cheap MFr is spending $80 for a couple of hours difference in arrival time)I stayed at the airport(safety issues)untill about 5:30 and then grabbed a taxi to the Metro bus station.(I like them better than Caribe)No particular reason,just do,plus the drop off in Sosua is one block from the strip and has a Farmacia if you need La Pella or Mambo!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I dont know about you jack but that sounds like a BIGGGG enough reason to like them over Caribe :mrgreen: I dont want to lug my stuff from charimicos to sosua. This would probably work well for this guy since he's staying at NG if he decides to take the bus instead of the private taxi.

:iconTU:

Dave Diaz
07-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys for your input into this matter. I think i will be in contact by PM with some of you about hiring a private taxi. One thing...do you think it would be a problem checking in early that morning at the New garden?

I never stayed at NG but in my experiences of coming in very early, I did a similar trip to yours like I mentioned earlier and when I arrived at Piero's it was ok. I had let them know in advance via email when I booked what the deal was in regards to me showing up early and I believe as long as there is a room available you should be fine.

In my situation the security understood someone was coming early but he didnt know what room, he put me in the wrong room when I arrived, this was I want to say 6 7 or 8 am. By the time I left and came back more people were starting to work and they informed security I was in the wrong room and they switched me to my actual room which was bigger than the one I was in.

So from my experiences i'm sure there is a similar policy at NG, if the room is available or a room is available they should be able to put you in. Let someone know you are coming in late and they should be able to inform the watchman or whoever is at the gate when you arrive about an early arrival. You should be in Sosua anywhere from 5 to 7am.

Let them know when you confirm the room or reach out to them before heading out on your trip is what I would recommend so there is no problems.

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-01-2011, 09:44 AM

When you leave the airport, if you could see if there is anyone at the Avis rental car booth, it is right on your way out. I am thinking of taking this flight in september, but if they were open at 3-4am, I would rent a car and drive up there, instead of waiting for the bus station to open.

If possible, if you could let me know which rental car booths are open so I can make reservations before i get there, that would be great.

Hoseman
08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
When you leave the airport, if you could see if there is anyone at the Avis rental car booth, it is right on your way out. I am thinking of taking this flight in september, but if they were open at 3-4am, I would rent a car and drive up there, instead of waiting for the bus station to open.

If possible, if you could let me know which rental car booths are open so I can make reservations before i get there, that would be great.Is that flight that much cheaper that is is worth the hassle?

Hoseman
08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I just checked from DTW it is only $20 cheaper than AA and on AA I get into STI at 1:30 pm.

El Chivo
08-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm gonna do this midnite STI run this coming Friday and will report on how it goes...I have never been to Santiago before but someone said Passions (Santiago) should be open (??) i was thinking of hitting Passions from the airport when i arrive and maybe taking a cabana with a chica ...and then take the bus up to Sosua around noon...

Anybody think this is doable?

I got this flight for 228 all in...AA to POP same itinerary was over 800 so yeah worth the effort... I think

Hoseman
08-01-2011, 01:53 PM
It is expensive flying In to POP these days believe me I know Out of the % years going down I would strictly fly in to POP but the price is close to double now so I have flow in to STI the las 1 1/2 years when the difference was $80 dollars I didn't mind paying the extra for convenience.

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Is that flight that much cheaper that is is worth the hassle?

Compared to POP enough of a difference for me. I live close to fll and prefer that airport. This is based on finding 2 more people to split rental car with.

Now sti spirit is a bit cheaper but not much, but the spirit hours work better for me. I get all day friday Saturday and Sunday with no sleep Sunday night.

With aa I lose a day and a half

TNT72
08-01-2011, 03:36 PM
The problem with AA out of STI, is there is like a 9 hour layover to DTW for me.

Hoseman
08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
The problem with AA out of STI, is there is like a 9 hour layover to DTW for me. I just checked fights 1 way on most of the week right now Is 220 thats tax included One way.I leave DTW at 7:15 am and land in STI at 1:15 pm

TNT72
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
You decided when your going back?

Hoseman
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
You decided when your going back?I priced the 9th It may be the following week though.

DCIronman
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm gonna do this midnite STI run this coming Friday and will report on how it goes...I have never been to Santiago before but someone said Passions (Santiago) should be open (??) i was thinking of hitting Passions from the airport when i arrive and maybe taking a cabana with a chica ...and then take the bus up to Sosua around noon...

I got this flight for 228 all in...AA to POP same itinerary was over 800 so yeah worth the effort... I think

Most definitely. All three of the big casas, not just Pasion, will be open till late on Fri. Though I personally feel that Pasion is probably the best at that hour.

Your plan is quite sound. And it will save you $70+ in transpo costs. It's what I'd do if I had to go to Sosua. But then, I personally never saw the appeal of arriving in Sosua at 5am. To each his own, I guess.

eastcoastallstar
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM

yup, very doable.

jacknback
08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
You will be lucky if there is coffee upstairs in the food court let alone car rentals at that hour in the AM.
The other option is what was suggested also.Pasion,chica and a cabana.That sounds better than $80 on a taxi to get to Sosua at 5AM.
After the chica and a little sleep you grab a bus and save a little.

But if you want to take a taxi.........then take a taxi!!!

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-02-2011, 08:47 AM
I've taken several international flights on spirit, and especially the DR flights are always seem to be an hour or two late, I am gambling on the fact that this flight is late which would actually help me out.

El Chivo
08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Most definitely. All three of the big casas, not just Pasion, will be open till late on Fri. Though I personally feel that Pasion is probably the best at that hour.

Your plan is quite sound. And it will save you $70+ in transpo costs. It's what I'd do if I had to go to Sosua. But then, I personally never saw the appeal of arriving in Sosua at 5am. To each his own, I guess.

yup, very doable.

Good to hear. Thanks.

I also heard that Pasion and the other clubs were not too far from the airport

Hoseman
08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Compared to POP enough of a difference for me. I live close to fll and prefer that airport. This is based on finding 2 more people to split rental car with.

Now sti spirit is a bit cheaper but not much, but the spirit hours work better for me. I get all day friday Saturday and Sunday with no sleep Sunday night.

With aa I lose a day and a halfHOW WOULD YOU LOSE 1 1/2 days?Is it because you would have to drive to Miami?

DCIronman
08-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Good to hear. Thanks.

I also heard that Pasion and the other clubs were not too far from the airport

Pasion is close by. And so are a bunch of the better cabanas. But Casa Blanca and Illusions are in another part of town.

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
HOW WOULD YOU LOSE 1 1/2 days?Is it because you would have to drive to Miami?

Now after reading some posts, maybe 1 day. I really want to use my spirit miles too which influences more towards spirit.

Based on weekend trips towards the end of September flying out Thursday.to.either Sunday or Monday.

Spirit flies at midnight (eta sosua 6-7am) on Thursday and aa around 9pm sti around 11pm. I guess I would spend a night in sti and drive up to sosua the following morning.

The flight back is what kills me because it flies out at 845 on Sunday or Monday morning. Spirit only has 1 flight Monday 3am. On aa, I would lose all of Sunday and probably need to go back to sti Saturday night to be safe. I only really have 1 night in sosua. On spirit I can drive straight to sosua and back to the airport Sunday at midnight and 2.75 nights in sosua, with no sleep on Sunday. If I fly back Monday morning on aaaa. I will need to take another day off of work. With spirit, theoretically I would return straight to work for the worst day of work in my life, but my balls will be leche free.

It would be great if I could take aa there and spirit back but MIA and fll airports are 30 minutes away.

El Chivo
08-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Does anyone know what i should expect to pay a taxista to take me to la Pasion from STI?

And if Spirit arrives late and i decide to go straight to the main Caribe Tours station for the 6am bus... are there publicos there at STI? or would i have to take a taxi? And what would i expect to pay for the taxi ride to Caribe? Looks far on the google maps

Thanks fellas

EC

papi_sosua
08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
From STI to Passion, straight, USD 100.

And there are publicos on STI but not sure that they work the airport.
Taxi to Caribe or Metro will cost you USD 20.

Does anyone know what i should expect to pay a taxista to take me to la Pasion from STI?

And if Spirit arrives late and i decide to go straight to the main Caribe Tours station for the 6am bus... are there publicos there at STI? or would i have to take a taxi? And what would i expect to pay for the taxi ride to Caribe? Looks far on the google maps

Thanks fellas

EC

DCIronman
08-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks fellas

EC

Any taxi ride from STI to most anywhere in the city, including Pasion, will cost you around 700RD. I never seen publicos stopping inside the airport. I doubt the taxi mafia would allow that. Maybe you can catch one if you walk down to the autopista. Otherwise, I think you're stuck taking a cab.

El Chivo
08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
The 3 am arrival into STI worked out fine. On time depature and arrival and Santiago Airport seemed more upscale than either POP or SDQ. I ended up chatting with a guy next to me who said he owned a couple of nightclubs and he invited me to one of them he had in the Hoten Matun in Santiago. Sure enough his boys picked us up in a Cayenne SUV and took us to the Hotel.. I took a room there and partied with him and his friends till 6am. There were chicas working as well as regular couples and it wast always easy to tell who was who ... I ended up with a chica who apparently was NOT on the menu but she was adorable so it was just drinking and dancing. Pricing I was told was 150-200. Some fuglies pitched me at closing but I declined...

At 10 I was up for breakfast....salchichone, yucca and chicken soup was the offering... and there was one american non - spanish speaking gringa tourist was not very happy with the choice! :lol: I met a gringo from Tampa who was on the same flight and is a memeber of the Latina CUPID dating site and was working that method meeting chicas. He had one waiting in Cabarete... He had never heard of Sosua... so we went together to the Metro station to catch the next bus. The 1:15 was full and the next was at 4:15. So we walked up to Caribe Tours where there was a 12:15. The chick at the window said it was full so she put us on the waiting list. She called a few names but not ours and we watched the bus leave without us. Next bus was a t2:15 and again we would have to be standby... FUCK This was a Saturday so maybe that was the issue. So my recommendation here is that one make advance reservations for the bus up to the coast...

My new amigo and I decided to split a cab at this point. There were cabs right outside the bus station, but the first guy on the line had a car that looked like it had seen many years of service in the Santo Domingo demolition derby and we took an air conditioned van. The taxista called in on the radio for the fare and it was only 2500 peso, less than i thought, and off we went.

I immediately went to the Metro office in sosua and bought the return ticket for Santiago that leaves at the 5:50pm. Will let you know how the return goes...

EC

JD426
08-08-2011, 11:52 AM
El Chivo... Nice post, but it sounds more like the begin of a TRIP report than just simply helpful advice (which it is also)...thanks...

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-08-2011, 12:26 PM
El Chivo... Nice post, but it sounds more like the begin of a TRIP report than just simply helpful advice (which it is also)...thanks...

He posted something elsewhere too about sosua, perhaps someone can duct tape it together.

El Chivo
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM

LOL yeah i hear ya... but there are three things I think I can contribute towards here on ISOC...the Santiago Spirit option... the state of Sosua in the wake of the crackdown, and my stay at Sosua Bay resort. since there are three separate threads on these subjects I figured it would be more useful for board members if I chopped it up separately...

it's a given of course I'm having a great time with the chicas... does anyone really need to hear about that? LOL

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
LOL yeah i hear ya... but there are three things I think I can contribute towards here on ISOC...the Santiago Spirit option... the state of Sosua in the wake of the crackdown, and my stay at Sosua Bay resort. since there are three separate threads on these subjects I figured it would be more useful for board members if I chopped it up separately...

it's a given of course I'm having a great time with the chicas... does anyone really need to hear about that? LOL

Did you notice if people were working the rental car agencies?

Dave Diaz
08-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Those 3 things are all things I want to hear about. Especially the spirit option I'm very interested to read about your experience with them. Also if you could share where your home airport (fll has it easyyyy on spirit)

Jimmydr
08-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Those 3 things are all things I want to hear about. Especially the spirit option I'm very interested to read about your experience with them. Also if you could share where your home airport (fll has it easyyyy on spirit)

I fly Spirit and they give you what you pay for.

Dave Diaz
08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I fly Spirit and they give you what you pay for.

Oh I know u fly spirit mr colombia.

I know I get what I pay for with them. Great prices and deals but just lookin for a lil more info on layover and stuff like that. Plus its nice to have some spirit stories that aren't horror ones.

I'm still weighing on getting the card for the amazing off peak awards.

Jimmydr
08-08-2011, 02:56 PM

I know I get what I pay for with them. Great prices and deals but just lookin for a lil more info on layover and stuff like that. Plus its nice to have some spirit stories that aren't horror ones.

We arrived in Ft Lauderdale and because of weather, the connection was delayed 2 hours. I asked if I can change my flight and stayover for 2 days. They said "no problem at all" and they changed my tickets.

Dave Diaz
08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
We arrived in Ft Lauderdale and because of weather, the connection was delayed 2 hours. I asked if I can change my flight and stayover for 2 days. They said "no problem at all" and they changed my tickets.

Thanks jimmy.

Hoseman
08-08-2011, 06:11 PM
The 3 am arrival into STI worked out fine. On time depature and arrival and Santiago Airport seemed more upscale than either POP or SDQ. I ended up chatting with a guy next to me who said he owned a couple of nightclubs and he invited me to one of them he had in the Hoten Matun in Santiago. Sure enough his boys picked us up in a Cayenne SUV and took us to the Hotel.. I took a room there and partied with him and his friends till 6am. There were chicas working as well as regular couples and it wast always easy to tell who was who ... I ended up with a chica who apparently was NOT on the menu but she was adorable so it was just drinking and dancing. Pricing I was told was 150-200. Some fuglies pitched me at closing but I declined...

At 10 I was up for breakfast....salchichone, yucca and chicken soup was the offering... and there was one american non - spanish speaking gringa tourist was not very happy with the choice! :lol: I met a gringo from Tampa who was on the same flight and is a memeber of the Latina CUPID dating site and was working that method meeting chicas. He had one waiting in Cabarete... He had never heard of Sosua... so we went together to the Metro station to catch the next bus. The 1:15 was full and the next was at 4:15. So we walked up to Caribe Tours where there was a 12:15. The chick at the window said it was full so she put us on the waiting list. She called a few names but not ours and we watched the bus leave without us. Next bus was a t2:15 and again we would have to be standby... FUCK This was a Saturday so maybe that was the issue. So my recommendation here is that one make advance reservations for the bus up to the coast...

My new amigo and I decided to split a cab at this point. There were cabs right outside the bus station, but the first guy on the line had a car that looked like it had seen many years of service in the Santo Domingo demolition derby and we took an air conditioned van. The taxista called in on the radio for the fare and it was only 2500 peso, less than i thought, and off we went.

I immediately went to the Metro office in sosua and bought the return ticket for Santiago that leaves at the 5:50pm. Will let you know how the return goes...

ECCaribe Tours does not allow you to do that I caught the bus to Santiago and the first bus was full so when I got to Santiago I tried to buy the Ticket in advance for later the same day and they would not do it.

JD426
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Caribe Tours does not allow you to do that I caught the bus to Santiago and the first bus was full so when I got to Santiago I tried to buy the Ticket in advance for later the same day and they would not do it.

Metro was also not allowing me advances ticket purchase, for the 1:20 to santiago, they took my name but I had to come back at 1 pm to buy the ticket, but they did save me the seat with my name only. Not sure what the reasons are or if there is even a pattern to this. this happened 2x.

El Chivo
08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Metro was also not allowing me advances ticket purchase, for the 1:20 to santiago, they took my name but I had to come back at 1 pm to buy the ticket, but they did save me the seat with my name only. Not sure what the reasons are or if there is even a pattern to this. this happened 2x.

Well i have the ticket in hand..on Metro to STGO 5:50pm tomorrow

psriches
08-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Well i have the ticket in hand..on Metro to STGO 5:50pm tomorrowWhat are you gonna do with your bag? I don't trust putting it in the outside cargo bin.

El Chivo
08-08-2011, 09:18 PM
What are you gonna do with your bag? I don't trust putting it in the outside cargo bin.

Flying spirit with a "personal item" so everything should hopefully fit under the seat

psriches
08-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Flying spirit with a "personal item" so everything should hopefully fit under the seatI'm talking about Metro!

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-09-2011, 08:52 AM

I recently got the new Spirit air card, Barclays always declined me, and Bank of AMerica approved me finally!!!!

All I can say is that it is a douche bag process to redeem miles.

On the site they will give you a little tool, and it costs more miles on certain months and I was cool with that. As you all know, it is $1 for 2 miles, on off season, MDE will cost you $5000, and DR,NY and SJO trips only cost you $2500.

The process is a pain in the ass, and you have to call the 1800 number and talk to an operator and give them the dates. If you dont book way in advance, there is a good chance that it will cost more miles then what you think.

I just used the miles for my next MDE trip in November, which I originally wanted to take in Septemeber. However ever weekend in September was going to cost me 30000 miles. November 11-13 was the first weekend that would cost me 10000 miles, but with luggage,tax and everything only cost me $130.

However, if you are very flexible on the dates, IT IS AN AWESOME VALUE, but remember you basically wont be able to choose when you want to go, they basically choose for you if you want to maximise your miles.

Jimmydr
08-09-2011, 09:59 AM
However, if you are very flexible on the dates, IT IS AN AWESOME VALUE, but remember you basically wont be able to choose when you want to go, they basically choose for you if you want to maximise your miles.

There are dozens of us that are flexible so don't be a hater!

Dave Diaz
08-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Thankkkkk youuuuu boris. Exactly what jimmy quoted below was my favorite part of your post. That's exactly what I really needed. Thank youu

The flexible with dates, if that's the main complaint about spirit this is definitely one for me.

Where do you pay a barclays card?? I usually have a card that is sponsored by a bank so I make all my payments to the respective bank but I've never seen a barclays. Just curious.

TNT72
08-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Thankkkkk youuuuu boris. Exactly what jimmy quoted below was my favorite part of your post. That's exactly what I really needed. Thank youu

The flexible with dates, if that's the main complaint about spirit this is definitely one for me.

Where do you pay a barclays card?? I usually have a card that is sponsored by a bank so I make all my payments to the respective bank but I've never seen a barclays. Just curious.

Barclays was paid like any other card. Either mail it, or pay it online. But, it just went from barclays to Juniper.

Jimmydr
08-09-2011, 10:13 AM

We were flying to Thailand with Firstclass miles from American. We gave them our dates which were Nov 7-21 and they searched and came back with Nov 4-23. We were flexible.

Keep in mind that there are 40,000,000 people using miles in the United States.

El Chivo
08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Did you notice if people were working the rental car agencies? There were many different rental car agencies on the road out of the airport...most were Dominican companies and I think a few were open... I will try to have a better look later

My home airport is FLL. I would warn anyone who needs to connect from elsewhere on Spirit to be ready for a missed connection. And save your breath is you think that complaining will get you anywhere....they won't give a rat's ass.

I'm talking about Metro!

I'm assuming I can fit a backpack in an overhead storage area near my seat... vamos a ver

Jimmydr
08-09-2011, 10:54 AM
So what you guys want is a great airline and to save $200 - $400 per flight.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
There are dozens of us that are flexible so don't be a hater!

What I meant was they give you a calendar of all the off peak days, which was fine, but when you call them to book the trip for 5000 miles, its at 25000 miles. Then you need to be prepared with alternative dates, because you have to do it with an operator.

I am not a spirit hater, but lover, like one of those guys who are into punishment and enjoy the abuse.for.the thrill of a cheap ticket.

El Chivo
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
So what you guys want is a great airline and to save $200 - $400 per flight.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I want....never gets!

But yeah that would be nice. I have 300,000 miles on Spirit... it is what it is. once you know how to play their game ....the things you have control of... it's the best option in most cases.

Jimmydr
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM
I want....never gets!

But yeah that would be nice. I have 300,000 miles on Spirit... it is what it is. once you know how to play their game ....the things you have control of... it's the best option in most cases.

Some guys are dreamers. By that I mean they expect to use miles for a Friday to Monday trip, everytime. Its not happening.

I have 275,000 on Delta and they no longer co share with Avianca. Shit happens.

Jimmydr
08-09-2011, 11:08 AM
What I meant was they give you a calendar of all the off peak days, which was fine, but when you call them to book the trip for 5000 miles, its at 25000 miles. Then you need to be prepared with alternative dates, because you have to do it with an operator.

I am not a spirit hater, but lover, like one of those guys who are into punishment and enjoy the abuse.for.the thrill of a cheap ticket.

With American you get a calander and can see that only Mon - Thur is available, most times of the year.

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-09-2011, 11:12 AM

I have good credit, and have never been declined for anything, except the spirit card before they recently changed to bank of America. I recall getting letters from barclays bank explaining why.

I consider my self flexible, and if you go by the.calendar on the website it is.not.reliable unless you.call them and ask how many miles.the.trip will cost you. I am not sure if I am explaining this properly, but you will find out if you apply.

If you are a $9 member, and had no problems booking flights when they choose the.dates for you, you will have no issues with.the.card and redeeming miles.

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
With American you get a calander and can see that only Mon - Thur is available, most times of the year.

Can you book the flight immediately with aa? Or call an operator

Thursday to Monday.trips are perfect for me, my balls can't take much more work. However I remember with the aa card, you need a lot of purchases for a free trip compared to the spirit card.

With my math phone, cable and car insurance and gas equates to 1 Dr, 1 ny, and one mde trip a year. I am not sure.I can get that with 10 grand of purchases with aa card. If so need to fire the spirit card as soon as I use the miles.

Jimmydr
08-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Thursday to Monday.trips are perfect for me, my balls can't take much more work. However I remember with the aa card, you need a lot of purchases for a free trip compared to the spirit card.

With my math phone, cable and car insurance and gas equates to 1 Dr, 1 ny, and one mde trip a year. I am not sure.I can get that with 10 grand of purchases with aa card. If so need to fire the spirit card as soon as I use the miles.

Is that all you want?

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Is that all you want?

And a kosher vegetarian meal

Jimmydr
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
And a kosher vegetarian meal

Fly Cathway Pacific, first class to Thailand. I think you may be happy.

Dave Diaz
08-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Can you book the flight immediately with aa? Or call an operator

With aa what I'm working on right now is 150k miles through two cards and two bonus offers of 75k each. Requirements are to spend 1500 on one card and 4000 on another.

That's enough for a couple of flights tho its through card offers.

Spirit has the lowest redemption rates I ever seen though and the off peak oones are insane. That's enough reason to get the card right there. If all I had to do is fly Monday through Thursday then that's reasonable too.

Thanks for all the great spirit posts in here

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-09-2011, 12:07 PM
With aa what I'm working on right now is 150k miles through two cards and two bonus offers of 75k each. Requirements are to spend 1500 on one card and 4000 on another.

That's enough for a couple of flights tho its through card offers.

Spirit has the lowest redemption rates I ever seen though and the off peak oones are insane. That's enough reason to get the card right there. If all I had to do is fly Monday through Thursday then that's reasonable too.

Thanks for all the great spirit posts in here

Not sure where you live and where you fly out of but jetblue amex is good too, I plan on using for 2 westchester flights and a sdq flight from fll. I used this card but switched to the spirit card since they approved me. $1 = 1 mile. I will keep the card only for the car rental insurance now and occasional westchester flight.

Fll sdq costs around 12000 miles and is about $100, in taxes and includes luggage. If you don't have one, I think you get 15000, miles for signing up. Let me know I get 5000 for referals.

Dave Diaz
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Not sure where you live and where you fly out of but jetblue amex is good too, I plan on using for 2 westchester flights and a sdq flight from fll. I used this card but switched to the spirit card since they approved me. $1 = 1 mile. I will keep the card only for the car rental insurance now and occasional westchester flight.

Fll sdq costs around 12000 miles and is about $100, in taxes and includes luggage. If you don't have one, I think you get 15000, miles for signing up. Let me know I get 5000 for referals.

I fly out of jfk or I could do newark or lga in ny.
I recently divorced jetblue after I came to realize I could be treated a lot better elsewhere. I had the amex card but they cut me off...credit issues lol but it was when they had the old program which I loved.
I was going to reapply when they had the 20k offer which usually happens around april or may every year.
I like the spirit card with 2 miles per dollar. Another thing I didn't like about jetblue is you earn points. I need miles fuck points. 10k points is a one way flight even tho they advertise rt...that's a huge turn off.
I rather deal with an airline expecting me to be flexible than one trying to fuck me into taking a bunch of trips and leeching off my dollars in exchange for points..
Sorry jetblue makes me upset but props for getting the spirit one. That seems like a good deal for whoever is flexible enough to play with it

BorisDaBulletDodger
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I fly out of jfk or I could do newark or lga in ny.
I recently divorced jetblue after I came to realize I could be treated a lot better elsewhere. I had the amex card but they cut me off...credit issues lol but it was when they had the old program which I loved.
I was going to reapply when they had the 20k offer which usually happens around april or may every year.
I like the spirit card with 2 miles per dollar. Another thing I didn't like about jetblue is you earn points. I need miles fuck points. 10k points is a one way flight even tho they advertise rt...that's a huge turn off.
I rather deal with an airline expecting me to be flexible than one trying to fuck me into taking a bunch of trips and leeching off my dollars in exchange for points..
Sorry jetblue makes me upset but props for getting the spirit one. That seems like a good deal for whoever is flexible enough to play with it

Me thinks spirits gonna get you fired up value for sure but I see some drama posts in your future. Have you flown spirit before?

Dave Diaz
08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Me thinks spirits gonna get you fired up value for sure but I see some drama posts in your future. Have you flown spirit before?

Nope I'm stilll a spirit virgin. And if I go spirit I want to get the card. id use it for short trips and colombia from what I can think of off the top of my head.

TNT72
08-09-2011, 08:02 PM

I'd never fly the lousy fuckers again!! Horrible customer service! And the only time my flight was not delayed, was the fucking time I needed it to be!!! That cost me $560 for my missed flight!! But shit, you just can't pass up $1=2 miles!!!!!

jacknback
08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I'll fly to Medellin for $136RT in Sept.(including carry-on each way)using miles and smile all the way there!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

TNT72
08-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll fly to Medellin for $136RT in Sept.(including carry-on each way)using miles and smile all the way there!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Shit Jack, if I was as old as you, and still alive....I'd be smiling all the way too!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jacknback
08-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I'd never fly the lousy fuckers again!! Horrible customer service! And the only time my flight was not delayed, was the fucking time I needed it to be!!! That cost me $560 for my missed flight!! But shit, you just can't pass up $1=2 miles!!!!!

Ya but Trey.......you and Nap are big time business men now and can right your trips off !!!!
If you already don't do it for the bail bond business you could tell the IRS you were following up a lead for a bail jumper!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jacknback
08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Shit Jack, if I was as old as you, and still alive....I'd be smiling all the way too!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Everybody tells me that........am I that old?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TNT72
08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Ya but Trey.......you and Nap are big time business men now and can right your trips off !!!!
If you already don't do it for the bail bond business you could tell the IRS you were following up a lead for a bail jumper!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't even need to lie to them about it now Jack. We have business in the DR with the T-shirts!!

Now I just have to come up with a way to right off the money to Lorena.

OH!!! I know....modeling fee!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TNT72
08-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't even need to lie to them about it now Jack. We have business in the DR with the T-shirts!!

Now I just have to come up with a way to right off the money to Lorena.

OH!!! I know....modeling fee!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW Jack.

She's not at Passions anymore!!

The good news for you, there's no salida. The bad news for you...she can say no now!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TNT72
08-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Everybody tells me that........am I that old?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well fuck...you are old.

But, I think your hard living and partying makes you look a lot older than what you are.

jacknback
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I gotta admit though,flying into STI at 3 a.m. is a mother fucka no matter what it costs,especially when you know you have to do virtually the same thing at the end of your trip.I hate waiting for that flight back to Ft.Lauderdale.:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:
I just saw $9 fare to SD but to get it both ways it looks like you would have to stay there about 3 weeks.:p:p:p:p

TNT72
08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I gotta admit though,flying into STI at 3 a.m. is a mother fucka no matter what it costs,especially when you know you have to do virtually the same thing at the end of your trip.I hate waiting for that flight back to Ft.Lauderdale.:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:
I just saw $9 fare to SD but to get it both ways it looks like you would have to stay there about 3 weeks.:p:p:p:p

What do you care? Not like you got a job to get too!!:wink:

jacknback
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Ooooooooops
Can't argue that....

El Chivo
08-09-2011, 10:34 PM

Well Well funny you should mention that...here I am sitting in Puerta Del Sol the bar under the monument ahora mismo! Metro bus return was easy i slept all the way. Yeah this part sucks, just marking time but this is a cool bar ...open air very attractive people...one downside they ONLY have a beer called Quisqueya from La Vega and i think it sucks ass. :icontd: I did have a number of a chica i pulled from After One two nights ago and called her but after talking to her a bit I decided to pass. There are alot of hot chicas chilling here but I don't have the time to invest, maybe just "plant some seeds for next time...:mrgreen: I am very impressed with my brief time in Santiago though and ill definitely plan to spend a few days here next time.

Probably gonna hike to the other side of the monument and go to the nightclub at Matun when it opens at midnite

AlexDR
08-10-2011, 04:53 PM
man spend the night in santiago go to colonial get a 500 peso room then hit vintage and pull something for the night hit sosua in the morning

El Chivo
08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Well the rest of the transfer went well...

Cab from the Monument (Called in from the desk at the Matun Hotel) was 500 peso to the airport.

Check in at the spirit counter was the fastest ever...guy never asked me about checking a bag....didnt question my overstuffed "personal item"

Airport was active...the restaurant area was open with a half dozen groups of customers. Internet acces was strong.

Gate area also had a nice bar/snack bar

We got off in time landed from the ocean side and were on the ground about 4:45. we had to sit though at the gate a while to wait for Customs/Immigration to open... which i think they did about 5am.

The first day back after trip ALWAYS sucks...but being sleep deprived makes it worse...but...other than that... I think this 3 am gig on spirit is very doable...and unless i can get MIA-POP under 400 on AA i would rather do this...especially with miles or 9 dollar fares. I ended up paying 36 e/w plus taxes and 15 for big front seat upgrade at the airport...so all in about 243.

uncle ruckus
08-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Well Well funny you should mention that...here I am sitting in Puerta Del Sol the bar under the monument ahora mismo!

Probably gonna hike to the other side of the monument and go to the nightclub at Matun when it opens at midnite

goddamn it, I'm jealous/homesick! 33 more days to go before I'll be doing the exact same thing.

Hoseman
08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for a very good detailed report.