PDA

View Full Version : Los Charmicos to New Garden

Pepp-1
08-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Need a little info. I'll be arriving this week to Sosua, flying into STI then grabbing a Caribe Tours bus. My question is. what is the best way to get to the New Garden area after being dropped off by the Caribe Tours bus in Charmicos? Should I taxi it? If so, how much is a good fare, are taxis numerous in the area? I wanted to do Metrobus, because I'm familiar with the drop off location in Sosua. However, I arrive into STI after 1:30pm, judging from the Metro schedule on line too much of a window before the next bus leaves after my arrival. Caribe leaves on top of every hour. Thanks for any useful info.

Jimmydr
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
There is a taxi stand across the street.

Hoseman
08-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I take motoconcho there will be taxis and motos offering you rides.

MyTio
08-02-2011, 06:43 PM
a taxi is 200 250 peso if you have luggage I would not even think of a motos

JD426
08-02-2011, 06:46 PM
its a piece of cake, dont even sweat it , just get on that bus to Sosua and enjoy the ride. Metro has better AC though if you can make their schedual , it would be worth it for that alone & then u could pretty much walk the 400 feet to the NG unless you got heavy bags.

Hoseman
08-02-2011, 07:01 PM
its a piece of cake, dont even sweat it , just get on that bus to Sosua and enjoy the ride. Metro has better AC though if you can make their schedual , it would be worth it for that alone & then u could pretty much walk the 400 feet to the NG unless you got heavy bags.You know I have never ridden the Metro .If their air is better than Caribe tours I don't want to either.:corky:

jacknback
08-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I've taken both from and to Sosua and I just prefer Metro because of the Sosua location.
The only time I took Caribe from STI to Sosua,I just got off the plane at 2:30am and jumped in a taxi only to be dropped off at the Caribe station in pitch dark with it not opening for another few hours!!That was a little scary.About ten minutes after I got there and I'm on high alert,around the corner I see this guy coming and it looks like he is kind of sneaking around.As he gets a little closer I'm checking escape routes and I see him raise what I later find out to be a sawed off shotgun.Turns out he is the security for the station and after I saw him I was able to relax a little!!In his broken English he says...gringo,what you do here?I said I'm waiting for the bus to Sosua and as he's walking away I hear him muttering something about gringo es stupido.I wonder what he meant?
I just stay in the airport untill about 5:30 and then taxi to bus and bus to Sosua.

JD426
08-02-2011, 08:25 PM
......... I just stay in the airport untill about 5:30 and then taxi to bus and bus to Sosua.

thats probably a good idea....:lol::rofl::rofl:

snoozer
08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
You know I have never ridden the Metro .If their air is better than Caribe tours I don't want to either.:corky:
I have taken Metro and Caribe many times and they are equally cold. Take a jacket, it is the only time you will need one in the DR.

Seville
08-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Take a taxi for 200 pesos. They might ask for more but that is what you should pay.

steviewonder
08-02-2011, 09:48 PM
With your early arrival time and after making the connection to Charmicos using Caribe Tours, you should be in Sosua by 5:30-6:00pm. This is a good time to just cross the street, and take a 25 peso ( or give a US$1) publico (if you don't want to moto concho) to the Sosua station. From there (across from Metro Station) you should be familiar in walking to hotel. Or do the private taxi as in Robert's previous post...

steviewonder
08-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I have taken Metro and Caribe many times and they are equally cold. Take a jacket, it is the only time you will need one in the DR.

You could also warm up with a hot chica looking for work that night:wink:

naptime
08-02-2011, 11:13 PM
a taxi is 200 250 peso if you have luggage I would not even think of a motos

trey and i have taken motos with FULL sized suitcase resting on one leg, and carry on with laptop resting on the other leg.

:ilike:

naptime
08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
i've taken metro and caribe. both are fucking cold. i bring an airplane blanket. next trip im bringing a snuggie.

like jack, on that late night flight, i sleep at the airport, with one eye open and then head over caribe around 6:00am. hell, even did it with my daughter on the october trip. a few hours nap at the airport, and a few more hours at the bus station.

to get from caribe station to new garden....

if i had a small suitcase, i would just walk through charamicos, and down the beach, and be at new garden in 10 minutes. a nice walk after being cooped up in the bus for a few hours.

or, take a moto.

if the suitcase is larger, i'd grab a taxi for 200 pesos.

MyTio
08-03-2011, 12:05 AM
trey and i have taken motos with FULL sized suitcase resting on one leg, and carry on with laptop resting on the other leg.

:ilike: hopefully you will make a lot o money with your shirt business so you can afford a taxi :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TNT72
08-03-2011, 12:13 AM
hopefully you will make a lot o money with your shirt business so you can afford a taxi :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

We didn't have time to wait for a taxi. We were over an hour late for a fishing charter. Plus it was only from Tradewinds, to Rockies

Well, that probably is the same as Los Charimicos to Rockies!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nah, we did it because we didn't have time to wait.

Pepp-1
08-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys for all your input. Looks like it should be a breeze:iconTU:

Mr. Smooth
08-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Hell, just have Robert come get you! :corky:

Hoseman
08-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Hell, just have Robert come get you! :corky:He has a wanted poster with a Bounty on his head in every cab he is laying low:corky:

DRCowboy
08-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Hell, just have Robert come get you! :corky:

And tip him with a beer.

Hoseman
08-03-2011, 07:08 AM
He may even have his new Co-Pilot with him:corky:

JD426
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
He has a wanted poster with a Bounty on his head in every cab he is laying low:corky:
You know the car rental guy down by the laundry place is afraid to drive me to the bus stop, he can only sit in the passenger seat and then drive his own car back to his lot.. And the taxi guy I always use from the airport(Felix) was lurking around watching and then approached me to ask how im getting to santiago cuz he knew my return flight was there . Like I owe him an explanation :rolleyes:.. them mother fuckers aint no joke. LOL

bdaman
08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Guys on average how much does it cost to get from Sosua to Blackbeards?I plan on catching the Metro bus from Sdq to Sosua then taxi from there.

Seville
08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Guys on average how much does it cost to get from Sosua to Blackbeards?I plan on catching the Metro bus from Sdq to Sosua then taxi from there.

If you are not staying in Sosua only take the bus to Puerto Plata. Even if you are staying in Sosua, when you leave take the bus to Puerto Plata then a taxi for 300 pesos from the bus station to BB. Or you can hire a whole publico for 300 pesos to take you to Puerta Plata then 300 peso taxi from there. A regular taxi is going to cost at least $40.

Hoseman
08-03-2011, 11:42 PM
If you are not staying in Sosua only take the bus to Puerto Plata. Even if you are staying in Sosua, when you leave take the bus to Puerto Plata then a taxi for 300 pesos from the bus station to BB. Or you can hire a whole publico for 300 pesos to take you to Puerta Plata then 300 peso taxi from there. A regular taxi is going to cost at least $40. They want 400 peso now from Sosua to take the publico by yourself I think.Passport Playa and Givengo took a publico all the way there.

Seville
08-04-2011, 08:49 AM
They want 400 peso now from Sosua to take the publico by yourself I think.Passport Playa and Givengo took a publico all the way there.

That's fucked up if they want 400 pesos. They cram 6 people in there at 50 pesos each to go to Puerto Plata. They get 300 pesos for that. If they try to charge 400 to get the whole taxi it is just another rip-off.:icontd:

JD426
08-04-2011, 09:49 AM
6 poor dominicans= 300 pesos
One rich Gringo = 400 pesos.
Dominicanomics 101 all over again.
lol

weyland
08-04-2011, 11:29 AM
That's fucked up if they want 400 pesos. They cram 6 people in there at 50 pesos each to go to Puerto Plata. They get 300 pesos for that. If they try to charge 400 to get the whole taxi it is just another rip-off.:icontd:
Not really. They wouldn't make enough if they took always took 6 people between the two larger towns for 50 pesos each per trip (I think it is 45 pesos in daytime?) They hope for several passengers making shorter trips @ 20 to 40 pesos so they can sell the same seat two or three times each trip. Sometimes they lose out but on the average it works out slightly better for them. So they charge 400 to make up for that. I think that is more than fair compared with a private taxi.

Publico drivers provide a useful service and don't earn big money. I don't know why guys begrudge them another 100 pesos when they spend $thousands in bars where the standard mark-up is 200% over cost for poured drinks (not for those sold in bottles).

Hoseman
08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
That's fucked up if they want 400 pesos. They cram 6 people in there at 50 pesos each to go to Puerto Plata. They get 300 pesos for that. If they try to charge 400 to get the whole taxi it is just another rip-off.:icontd:it was 300 just like it was 40 pesos for up until about 2 months ago from pp to sosua somtimes I take the whole from seat for 90 pesos

Hoseman
08-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Not really. They wouldn't make enough if they took always took 6 people between the two larger towns for 50 pesos each per trip (I think it is 45 pesos in daytime?) They hope for several passengers making shorter trips @ 20 to 40 pesos so they can sell the same seat two or three times each trip. Sometimes they lose out but on the average it works out slightly better for them. So they charge 400 to make up for that. I think that is more than fair compared with a private taxi.

Publico drivers provide a useful service and don't earn big money. I don't know why guys begrudge them another 100 pesos when they spend $thousands in bars where the standard mark-up is 200% over cost for poured drinks (not for those sold in bottles).Weyland is right because they have the ability to pick others up but when someone gets out but when you ride by yourself the can make the trip faster.

Jimmydr
08-04-2011, 11:38 AM
it was 300 just like it was 40 pesos for up until about 2 months ago from pp to sosua somtimes I take the whole from seat for 90 pesos

I always paid double for the front seat.

Hoseman
08-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I always paid double for the front seat.It depends on how I feel if I want to ride up front and not be crowed in POP I go to the Publico stand where they begin in Pop I have to take a Moto there an extra 25 pesos if it is a day I don't mind it I just walk up to HWY 5 and pay the 45 Pesos.

JD426
08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Mr Weyland I would agree with you except for one important reason.
A straight run is always better on Fuel, than stopping and starting again with a full load of people not to mention the wear and tear on the vehicle. At $6 + a gallon, I think the additional pesos are cancelled out completely. Just my opinion, but yes I do know something about cars. I diagnosed a taxi guys problem when he offered to drive me from santiago to Sosua, I told him his driveshaft univ joint(s) were about to fall out ( a $15-$30 part that could potentially cause a catastrophic accident)
I could visualize the bearings in there never having been greased , even eventhough most have a grease fitting nipple. Told him hes got maybe a couple hundred or 1K miles left til the shaft drops. Course he looked at me like I was crazy. they drive em til something breaks , strange noises mean nothing to them.. LOL sorry for the off topic, but point is these taxi guys dont know much, except how to ask for more money from gringos.

Jimmydr
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
It depends on how I feel if I want to ride up front and not be crowed in POP I go to the Publico stand where they begin in Pop I have to take a Moto there an extra 25 pesos if it is a day I don't mind it I just walk up to HWY 5 and pay the 45 Pesos.

Well first I would see who else was riding and if a cute chica was in the mix, I would sit next to her.

Hoseman
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Well first I would see who else was riding and if a cute chica was in the mix, I would sit next to her.Yeah i know thats why lots of times I take the 45 peso ride.It is more likely to happen heading out of Sosua.

TNT72
08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
A straight run is always better on Fuel, than stopping and starting again with a full load of people not to mention the wear and tear on the vehicle. At $6 + a gallon, I think the additional pesos are cancelled out completely. Just my opinion, but yes I do know something about cars. I diagnosed a taxi guys problem when he offered to drive me from santiago to Sosua, I told him his driveshaft univ joint(s) were about to fall out ( a $15-$30 part that could potentially cause a catastrophic accident)
I could visualize the bearings in there never having been greased , even eventhough most have a grease fitting nipple. Told him hes got maybe a couple hundred or 1K miles left til the shaft drops. Course he looked at me like I was crazy. they drive em til something breaks , strange noises mean nothing to them.. LOL sorry for the off topic, but point is these taxi guys dont know much, except how to ask for more money from gringos.

They're not running gas. They're running propane.

JD426
08-04-2011, 05:39 PM
They're not running gas. They're running propane.
Yes , I noticed that , esp when we had to get OUT so it would fill cause of the weight in the back. I didnt know all of them were already on propane though? but your point is ?

naptime
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Cheaper?

weyland
08-05-2011, 10:57 AM
A straight run is always better on Fuel, than stopping and starting again with a full load of people not to mention the wear and tear on the vehicle. At $6 + a gallon, I think the additional pesos are cancelled out completely.
No doubt you are right, but you know the Dominican mentality. They can only calculate the pesos they can physically see in their hand. If they find they are paying more for fuel then that is the government's fault, not their's. If they have to repair or replace parts then that is not their fault, it is just bad luck or the fault of the person they bought the vehicle from or (if Christians) the will of God.

If they had any conception of fuel economy, why do they always drive at full speed, jam on the brakes hard when they want to stop, then accelerate away with foot hard on the pedal like drag racers? Waste of fuel and the brakes last no time at all.

steviewonder
08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
If they had any conception of fuel economy, why do they always drive at full speed, jam on the brakes hard when they want to stop, then accelerate away with foot hard on the pedal like drag racers? Waste of fuel and the brakes last no time at all.

They have been receiving Govt. subsidizes with their gas purchases for many yrs while the other consumers are paying RD108.8 for propane. The coupons they receive (est. 30% discount) is being funded by the market profit collected by the Govt and the union. All repairs are done only with local union shops where the parts are again supplied by Govt. Here is a new twist of the future of what they will be getting.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/economy/2011/8/5/40488/RD800M-to-convert-17000-passenger-vehicles-to-natural-gas