PDA

View Full Version : Safe places to eat?

Urinal Mints
09-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions on places to eat in Puerto Plata that won't get you sick (that's outside the resort areas)? The last few times I went, I just went to supermercado Jose Luis and bought some food and made my own meals. I would like to eat out sometimes without the fear of getting sick. I'm not allergic to anything but just want to avoid problems with my stomach. Thanks in advance.

naptime
09-02-2011, 06:53 PM
my first step would be to stop eating urinal mints.

after that, i would eat anywhere in the dr.

i'm still an infant at 8 trips. but ive never got sick. and i even eat from teh curb sandwich vendors at 3 am.

Urinal Mints
09-02-2011, 07:09 PM

after that, i would eat anywhere in the dr.

i'm still an infant at 8 trips. but ive never got sick. and i even eat from teh curb sandwich vendors at 3 am.

Naptime,

You're pretty bold eating from street vendors...I guess I'm a scared lil beeyotch. In regards to urinal mints, I don't eat them. I just like to aim my piss directly on them. Don't worry I don't pee on the chicas, I want to make sure they nice and clean for the next guy :rofl:

weyland
09-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Dominican/Italian style: La Tarappa (near Portofino and Cristal) fairly pricey. My favorite restaurant in the city proper, though there are several gourmet places just off the main road near Costambar and Cofresí which I don't patronize because I don't have a car.

Dominican/French style: Taste (on Luis Ginebra) fairly pricey.

Kilometro Zero (next to Taste but simpler menu and cheaper. Stay away from the chivo. Like most places they don't have enough turnover of goat's meat for it to stay fresh).

Sonrisa (Dominican comedor) north of the Hospital in Barrio Los Cocos : never had stomach problems there but menu restricted to basic Dominican dishes : cheap.

La Sirena superstore has self-service canteen upstairs with large selection of cheap dishes. Recommend you eat early because once the trays of food get nearly empty they bring out new food and add it to the previous remnants so that by afternoon you have scraps of food that have been under the spotlights for many hours. So long as you eat early (before midday) it's tasty and cheap.

Los Barcos on the Malecón (German style pizzeria and fast-food). We eat there a lot because it is a pleasant place to sit overlooking the ocean and they tolerate my girlfriend's 3-year-old, but not a vast choice and pricey for what you get. (Ask Robert13212 about his club sandwich). No stomach problems but have had a couple of meals that seemed a bit "old stock". Better if you speak German.

I wouldn't give an absolute guarantee to any eating place in the DR knowing the Dominican attitude to hygiene and cutting corners to save 10 pesos or out of laziness. Never be without your Pepto Bismol, Immodium, etc, in case the worst happens.

My uncle was a Ministry of Food restaurant inspector in London in the post-war years. The stories he told of even the best hotels (Ritz, Savoy, etc) have made me cynical about eating out ever since.

Jimmydr
09-02-2011, 07:15 PM
I suggest that you read this topic.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?356921-How-do-I-subscribe-and-which-one-do-I-want

Urinal Mints
09-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Dominican/Italian style: La Tarappa (near Portofino and Cristal) fairly pricey. My favorite restaurant in the city proper, though there are several gourmet places just off the main road near Costambar and Cofresí which I don't patronize because I don't have a car.

Dominican/French style: Taste (on Luis Ginebra) fairly pricey.

Kilometro Zero (next to Taste but simpler menu and cheaper. Stay away from the chivo. Like most places they don't have enough turnover of goat's meat for it to stay fresh).

Sonrisa (Dominican comedor) north of the Hospital in Barrio Los Cocos : never had stomach problems there but menu restricted to basic Dominican dishes : cheap.

La Sirena superstore has self-service canteen upstairs with large selection of cheap dishes. Recommend you eat early because once the trays of food get nearly empty they bring out new food and add it to the previous remnants so that by afternoon you have scraps of food that have been under the spotlights for many hours. So long as you eat early (before midday) it's tasty and cheap.

Los Barcos on the Malecón (German style pizzeria and fast-food). We eat there a lot because it is a pleasant place to sit overlooking the ocean and they tolerate my girlfriend's 3-year-old, but not a vast choice and pricey for what you get. (Ask Robert13212 about his club sandwich). No stomach problems but have had a couple of meals that seemed a bit "old stock". Better if you speak German.

I wouldn't give an absolute guarantee to any eating place in the DR knowing the Dominican attitude to hygiene and cutting corners to save 10 pesos or out of laziness. Never be without your Pepto Bismol, Immodium, etc, in case the worst happens.

My uncle was a Ministry of Food restaurant inspector in London in the post-war years. The stories he told of even the best hotels (Ritz, Savoy, etc) have made me cynical about eating out ever since.

I appreciate this list of places to choose from. I will definitely check some of the places out. Also, I'll be in Santiago/PP from Sept 7-Sept 13 in case anyone reading this will be in the area at that time.

Jonew1
09-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Anyone have any good suggestions on places to eat in Puerto Plata that won't get you sick (that's outside the resort areas)? The last few times I went, I just went to supermercado Jose Luis and bought some food and made my own meals. I would like to eat out sometimes without the fear of getting sick. I'm not allergic to anything but just want to avoid problems with my stomach. Thanks in advance.

Pretty Much everywhere is clean man I wouldent worry. Just drink get pussy and eat food and have a good time. Thats why your there. Trust me the last thing you should be worried about is getting sick from food

DASBOOTY
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I read this first thing this morning. Nothing like starting off a Saturday morning with a good laugh (and a good cup of coffee).:rofl::rofl:

DASBOOTY
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM

I can vouch for 'my lord' regarding the food in la Sirena canteen. I had rice & beans, roast pork, and chicken in some kind of sauce. They were all delicious, in particular the roast pork, which was succulent.

There is also a burger king in Puerto Plata, if you go for that kind of fare.

DASBOOTY
09-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I appreciate this list of places to choose from. I will definitely check some of the places out. Also, I'll be in Santiago/PP from Sept 7-Sept 13 in case anyone reading this will be in the area at that time.

They say the McDonalds in Santiago (near the university) is very good. They have Dominican style items on the menu as well the typical fare.

And apparently lots of hot chicas frequent that McDonalds.

When I finally make it to Santiago, I plan to go to that McDoanlds (and check out the monuments too :rofl:).

Urinal Mints
09-03-2011, 06:48 PM
They say the McDonalds in Santiago (near the university) is very good. They have Dominican style items on the menu as well the typical fare.

When I finally make it to Santiago, I plan to go to that McDoanlds (and check out the monuments too :rofl:).

Thanks for the heads up with Santiago. I usually eat around the monument area or at the McDs. Puerto Plata is the area I have trouble with finding a good place to eat but I have a wealth of information when I get to PP this time around (thanks to the board!). If I stay some substantial time in Santiago, I'll make a note of the restaurants that are good in Santiago.

You are absolutely correct about McDs. The food is typical McD's and there are hot chicas around there. I usually stay at Aloha Sol so McD's is a short walk from the hotel.

gdogg
09-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Great fried chicken as well!
:iconTU:

Apos
09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Exactly,

Most guys don't get sick from the food except a couple that were admittedly predisposed...

I've eaten at every food cart, chicken stand, hole in the wall Dominican eatery in Sosua and many other places with no ill effects and really only know 1 guy that has had an issue...and that may have been from something before his vacation.

Bottom line; don't give it another thought, especially if you have had your Hep A&B shots..and those you should get. :wink:

Pretty Much everywhere is clean man I wouldent worry. Just drink get pussy and eat food and have a good time. Thats why your there. Trust me the last thing you should be worried about is getting sick from food

Mr. Smooth
09-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Regarding Santiago, I have to say that the Pizza Hut one block from Aloha Sol is great. I ate there back in June and the pizza was very tasty and the price was not over the top.

McDonalds is ok too, but more expensive than typically in the States. I have eaten in all sorts of joints in and around Sosua and never got sick. Different meats, veggies, rice, whatever, it was all cooked well and tasted just fine.

Last time I actually got sick from eating bad food was a sandwich from Subway. Was on the toilet for 4 days, missed a football game (had tix) and two days of work. Dropped 8 lbs. I figured thats how Jared from all those Subway commercials lost weight.

He shit himself thin!

Jimmydr
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Many of the reports have some food pictures in them and very few people have gotten sick from eating in these places. I got sick twice in 10 years in DR, but then again, I spent about 70 days a year there.

TNT72
09-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Many of the reports have some food pictures in them and very few people have gotten sick from eating in these places. I got sick twice in 10 years in DR, but then again, I spent about 70 days a year there.

My stomach got fucked up in June. Lorena and I went to the 24 hour pharmacy up by the Texaco station. Got some pills, and that knocked my bug overnight. Don't know if it was from food, water or just a bug. Ryatt caught the same thing a few days later, but medicine didn't help him.

Urinal Mints
09-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Regarding Santiago, I have to say that the Pizza Hut one block from Aloha Sol is great. I ate there back in June and the pizza was very tasty and the price was not over the top.

McDonalds is ok too, but more expensive than typically in the States. I have eaten in all sorts of joints in and around Sosua and never got sick. Different meats, veggies, rice, whatever, it was all cooked well and tasted just fine.

Last time I actually got sick from eating bad food was a sandwich from Subway. Was on the toilet for 4 days, missed a football game (had tix) and two days of work. Dropped 8 lbs. I figured thats how Jared from all those Subway commercials lost weight.

He shit himself thin!

I forgot about Pizza Hut near Aloha Sol. It is pretty good. I ate there once with a chica. Tastes just like how it does here in the states and the price is reasonable.

TNT72
09-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I forgot about Pizza Hut near Aloha Sol. It is pretty good. I ate there once with a chica. Tastes just like how it does here in the states and the price is reasonable.

Then why would you want to eat it?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Urinal Mints
09-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Then why would you want to eat it?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love dominican food but sometimes I may want something I'm familiar with. I only went to Pizza Hut once out of 4 times that I've been to Santiago. Going there and McDs all the time would defeat the purpose of enjoying the real DR. That's why I started the thread. I know a few local places in Santiago near the monument (I'll try to get the names next time) but I don't know any good places in PP. But thanks to the board, I can try out some new places in PP.

naptime
09-04-2011, 10:05 AM
amen!!

i don't want anything to do with anything that reminds me of home.

mcdonalds, pizza hut, hooters.. to hell with that.. i can get all that shit at home..

that's like going down there, and never going to the beach, sitting in your room all day staring at the tv, with a chica that nags all day and doesnt fuck you at night.

fuck that.

TNT72
09-04-2011, 10:09 AM
amen!!

mcdonalds, pizza hut, hooters.. to hell with that.. i can get all that shit at home..

that's like going down there, and never going to the beach, sitting in your room all day staring at the tv, with a chica that nags all day and doesnt fuck you at night.

fuck that.

I still think about that buffet we went to, when we went to Jarabacoa for the day. Damn! That was some authentic food!

SeaWeed
09-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I still think about that buffet we went to, when we went to Jarabacoa for the day. Damn! That was some authentic food!
how was the desert.......lol

TNT72
09-04-2011, 10:13 AM
how was the desert.......lol

Bitchy. I divorced it!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That was when we were doing the family trips.

DASBOOTY
09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
amen!!

fuck that.

That's right!

One of the things I love about Sosúa is that they don't have these North American franchise fast food places. Not even a one!

Even when in Puerto Plata I don't recall seeing many.............only burger king.

Mr. Smooth
09-04-2011, 02:39 PM
amen!!

fuck that.

Hmmm, sitting in a room all day watching tv, a nagging woman nearby, no sex at night. Isn't that what they call marriage? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rubicon
09-04-2011, 03:43 PM
UM, you're not much more likely to get sick (unless you have a really weak stomach) there in the DR than you are in the States. It's always wise, of course, to use some discretion. I've done quite a few trips and got sick only once. It was at what might be considered a higher-end place in Puerto Plata called La Parillada, located on the southside of the rotary when entering PP from Sosua. Still, I've eaten there since with no problems.

I've also always used tap water delivered to my house by truck to brush my teeth and have never gotten sick. I don't drink it, but use it to rinse my mouth.

I do have to admit that the high alcohol content in my system during my trips might have something to do with sterilizing any bacteria that might be present, but I can't be sure. lol

dunedain
09-04-2011, 11:17 PM

He shit himself thin!

:lol::rofl: