PDA

View Full Version : Pensions scandal: I did my part...

NewsWhore
12-19-2006, 03:50 PM
Finance Minister Vicente Bengoa has washed his hands off the Pensions Department fraud case saying that he has fulfilled his duties and that the case is now in the hands of the justice system. Bengoa is quoted in Diario Libre as saying at a press conference: "I discovered the fraud, I fired [people], I called the chief of police, I called Depreco [the governmental corruption prevention department], but now it is in the hands of the Justice system." Bengoa says that the Public Ministry, through Depreco will be responsible for the case in which an estimated RD$50 million were fraudulently disbursed to people who were deceased or not eligible. In some cases, people as young as 22 were receiving monthly pensions of RD$50,000. Former Pensions director Tulio Suncar and Sub director Isabel Soto Santana, along with 16 other people were dismissed from their posts for their involvement in the fraud.
Meanwhile, Depreco head Octavio Lister has denied that the fraud case at the pensions department has come to a halt and explained that he will present the case to the courts by next week. Lister, quoted in Diario Libre, has asked the public to be more patient, saying that the delay is due to the fact that the whereabouts of the main culprit in the case have not been determined, and that once this is known the case will proceed. He has publicly asked for this person to come in for questioning in the case.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#7)