PDA

View Full Version : Anyway(s) to get from POP to Sosua other than taxi?

Robocock
09-15-2011, 05:33 PM
I want to avoid the $50 round-trip price for a taxi. It's not a long walk from the airport to the main road. Is it possible to catch a nearby local bus or publico heading to Sosua for much cheaper? $50 is a chica and a meal plus beer.

foxracing
09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
book your hotel at rockys or dom pierros. they give free taxi transfer if you stay like 5 days. WHen i left the airport there was about 10 moto guys about a minute walk sitting in the parking lot. Now I dont know if you want to take a moto guy on the main highways, maybe offer a little extra then he quotes and say despacio (slow).

Robocock
09-15-2011, 05:40 PM
book your hotel at rockys or dom pierros. they give free taxi transfer if you stay like 5 days. WHen i left the airport there was about 10 moto guys about a minute walk sitting in the parking lot. Now I dont know if you want to take a moto guy on the main highways, maybe offer a little extra then he quotes and say despacio (slow).

I wouldn't ride a motoconcho down Pedro Clisante much less on the highway! LOL! My stay is going to be very short. Just 3 days and 2 nights. I guess I'm stuck riding by cab.

eldorob
09-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Anther option is to watch for a single guy or two guys getting off the plane. You got time going thru the lines. Ask if they want to split a cab. Chances are they're going to the same place. I've done it a few times.

Robocock
09-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Anther option is to watch for a single guy or two guys getting off the plane. You got time going thru the lines. Ask if they want to split a cab. Chances are they're going to the same place. I've done it a few times.

That's not a bad suggestion. Thanks.

foxracing
09-15-2011, 05:44 PM
maybe try to find other people on the plane headed to sosua. Just one person would cut it in half.

JD426
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
If you take it a step further, u can even meet people at the Boarding Gate before you get on the plane. You can pick out right away who the single dudes are traveling to Sosua..They are usually in a really good mood, especially if in a group.
Just introduce yourself & ask discreetly if they are staying in POP, or continuing elsewhere and if they want to split a cab . Your may even meet a new wingman that way cause you can chat leasurely at the gate before boarding .
Whereas upon arrival all hot and sweaty and tired they probably dont want to be bothered chatting & may not recognize you as even coming in on the same flight, and therefore be apprehensive about sharing a ride with a total stranger.

Rubicon
09-15-2011, 06:18 PM
You can also post your travel dates here and just might be lucky enough to find someone else who is traveling on your dates and would be interested in sharing the costs of transportation to/from Sosua.

DASBOOTY
09-15-2011, 06:23 PM
You can pick out right away who the single dudes are traveling to Sosua..They are usually in a really good mood

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Understatement of the year.

Donaldo66
09-21-2011, 06:35 AM
I want to avoid the $50 round-trip price for a taxi. It's not a long walk from the airport to the main road. Is it possible to catch a nearby local bus or publico heading to Sosua for much cheaper? $50 is a chica and a meal plus beer.
I do this on every trip when landing at POP.Walk out to the main rd and wait fot the publico car.I think 30 pesos for me and 30 pesos for my luggage.
The lap dance is free!!!:rofl:

weyland
09-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I do this on every trip when landing at POP.Walk out to the main rd and wait for the publico car. I think 30 pesos for me and 30 pesos for my luggage.
Good for you! I love to hear of people using public transport instead of supporting the taxi mafia. But I must say, after a flight I wouldn't fancy carrying a heavy bag as far as the main road in the heat. I would catch a motoconcho from the back of the upper car park as far as La Unión. And if just a light bag, I have never had to pay to put stuff in the trunk. Was that a charge or a voluntary tip (which I usually give them)?

adios
09-21-2011, 05:15 PM
I used to pay 500 pesos one way. That's less than 30 $ for a round trip. You will find a taxi driver who gets you there for that price.

Robocock
09-26-2011, 03:50 AM
The chica who I shacked up with for my short stay met me at the airport. The driver charged me 300 pesos. I gave him $10. On the way back, we took the publico. She either paid 50 pesos for both of us or each, I forget. But I'm glad to know the $50 round-trip price is avoidable.

Robocock
09-26-2011, 04:02 AM
I do this on every trip when landing at POP.Walk out to the main rd and wait fot the publico car.I think 30 pesos for me and 30 pesos for my luggage.
The lap dance is free!!!:rofl:

I wasn't confident about this initially. But I now know publicos travel that route. I will do this next time.

Bhutto,BhuttoGolly
09-26-2011, 07:34 AM

My man "Monger70" does the motoconcho- he don't care! LOL That's a little exteme for me...
Has anyone walked to theain road and flagged down a publico? It would be under 100pesos, no?

weyland
09-26-2011, 08:56 AM
It would be under 100pesos, no?
30 pesos, yes.

blazaveli
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
You can also post your travel dates here and just might be lucky enough to find someone else who is traveling on your dates and would be interested in sharing the costs of transportation to/from Sosua.

This is a geat idea if anyone from the board is arriving in town the same day as you. Last trip we had a rental so we were able to give ride to a fellow board member and he hit us off with $5 for gas which was cool with me.

Jimmydr
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
This is a geat idea if anyone from the board is arriving in town the same day as you. Last trip we had a rental so we were able to give ride to a fellow board member and he hit us off with $5 for gas which was cool with me.

Lots of times many guys meet in Miami and fly into together.

Jimmydr
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
My man "Monger70" does the motoconcho- he don't care! LOL That's a little exteme for me...
Has anyone walked to theain road and flagged down a publico? It would be under 100pesos, no?

It was 30 pesos but that was 4 years ago. I did it many times.

weyland
09-26-2011, 02:21 PM
It was 30 pesos but that was 4 years ago. I did it many times.
It is still only 45 pesos from Pto Pta to Sosúa which is four times the distance so 30 pesos sounds about right.

Jimmydr
09-26-2011, 02:22 PM
It is still only 45 pesos from Pto Pta to Sosúa which is four times the distance so 30 pesos sounds about right.

Call me cheap but paying 60 pesos RT or $1.50 sure beats the hell out of $40 RT.

MrHappy
09-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Call me cheap but paying 60 pesos RT or $1.50 sure beats the hell out of $40 RT.

Huh???????

JD426
09-28-2011, 12:35 PM
U guys are willing to risk your laptop, iphone, camera, and the cash in you wallet/ pockets to save like $18 ? IMO, just not worth the risk, I even use the SAME taxi guy all the time, I will even wait half hour for him. I dont like strangers ,when im carrying all my shit. Now if u only have a carryon and travel very light, diff story,cause then you look like someone who is not carrying anything of much value, even though you could be. And what about the duty free liquor bottles you guys buy, wheres that gonna go, on the floor of some publico where anyone can Kick the bottles ?

Jimmydr
09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
U guys are willing to risk your laptop, iphone, camera, and the cash in you wallet/ pockets to save like $18 ? IMO, just not worth the risk, I even use the SAME taxi guy all the time, I will even wait half hour for him. I dont like strangers ,when im carrying all my shit. Now if u only have a carryon and travel very light, diff story,cause then you look like someone who is not carrying anything of much value, even though you could be. And what about the duty free liquor bottles you guys buy, wheres that gonna go, on the floor of some publico where anyone can Kick the bottles ?

What do you mean by risk? These local taxi guys are not out to rip you off. I saved $38 x 6 each year. Thats about $230 a year just on getting too and from the airport.

Robocock
09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
U guys are willing to risk your laptop, iphone, camera, and the cash in you wallet/ pockets to save like $18 ?

You're entitled to be a straight up bitch if you want to. A lot of nagging and complaining on this board about what other grown ass men choose to do as of lately. Wrote a whole damn paragraph about some simple ass shit. Jesus. Sorry Jimmy or mods if I crossed any lines just now.

weyland
09-28-2011, 05:40 PM
You're entitled to be a straight up bitch if you want to. A lot of nagging and complaining on this board about what other grown ass men choose to do as of lately. Wrote a whole damn paragraph about some simple ass shit. Jesus. Sorry Jimmy or mods if I crossed any lines just now.
LOL. I foresee some entertainment. The new breed of lurker has got spunk!

Jimmydr
09-28-2011, 06:00 PM

You did? Where?

JD426
09-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Wow,
8 posts since 8/10..thanks for contributing so much...
only line you crossed is coming out of the closet. which is good I guess.
So now people are gonna expect you to post all that wisdom you've kept locked up in that brian of yours all this time...
In the voice of Dr Hannibal
"Whenever you are ready" ..

U know i just realized this is the only thread u have.. a QUESTION, about a TOPIC ( "simple SHIT" , in your own words) that has been discussed ONLY like 100X before, but nonetheless we treated you with Courtesy, and respect, see my post #7 for example..
and you come back with this response of yours ....

oh no, wait there is MORE

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?360221-Are-there-hotels-in-Sosua-near-the-strip-where-chicas-are-not-hassled-for-cedulas&p=1008650&highlight=#post1008650

you want to find a Nice hotel in Sosua which does NOT check your Chicas CEDULAS...

I stand corrected,... BRILLIANT !!!!!

whynotme
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
A lot of nagging and complaining on this board about what other grown ass men choose to do as of lately.

BUT;

YOU SHOULD SEE HOW PEOPLE ON OTHER BOARDS BITCH AND COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMEONE spending more than the standard botton rates.

my awnser has always been
'its my money, i earned it and i will spend it where when and how i want and will pay what i want to pay but thanks for the 'guide lines' and help from the other members

Apos
09-29-2011, 07:18 PM
I just ask a friend/family to pick me up...

Actually I just tell them I'm coming and they magically appear at the airport. :p

It's good to have great friends! :wink:

blazaveli
10-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Some comedy in this thread :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jefe
10-02-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm booked on Flt. 979 (12:00 pm) out of Miami on 10/4/11. I already have a hotel taxi booked from POP to Sosua and would welcome a shared rider to split the $20 fee. Email me on this site if interested.

Corrado
10-02-2011, 02:10 PM

To or from the airport you may want to use your regular guy, but between POP and Sosua or Sosua to Caberete you can pay for 4 seats and have the entire back seat of the publico to yourself.

Apos
10-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Many hotels in Sosua, most that get much time on here, include airport pickup for a stay of a week or even less..so why are you being charged? :confused:

I guess El Colibre is charging for this? :wink:
I'm booked on Flt. 979 (12:00 pm) out of Miami on 10/4/11. I already have a hotel taxi booked from POP to Sosua and would welcome a shared rider to split the $20 fee. Email me on this site if interested.

sporthobbyist
05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
God bless you guys. After landing, the last thing i could care about is a 20-25 taxi ride. GET me there already.

last trip i saw a bunch of guys walking to the main road to catch a publico. They were walking up the hill in 90degree humid weather. Dragging a large suitcase behind them. i drove by in my taxi laughing.

is a total of 40-50 roundtrip going to kill you?
If so, stay at Rick's and he will pick you up for free.

sorry, there is no way I am walking up to the main road, waiting for a publico, packing into it, maybe like sardines and stopping multiple times, just to save a couple dollars.

Irie
05-15-2012, 01:44 PM
God bless you guys. After landing, the last thing i could care about is a 20-25 taxi ride. GET me there already.

last trip i saw a bunch of guys walking to the main road to catch a publico. They were walking up the hill in 90degree humid weather. Dragging a large suitcase behind them. i drove by in my taxi laughing.

is a total of 40-50 roundtrip going to kill you?
If so, stay at Rick's and he will pick you up for free.

sorry, there is no way I am walking up to the main road, waiting for a publico, packing into it, maybe like sardines and stopping multiple times, just to save a couple dollars.

Yeah......thanks for not picking me up a**! :mad:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rubicon
05-15-2012, 02:11 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I arrived on May 5th (have since returned home) and noticed the exact, same thing. First thing I thought about was some of the recommendations I've read on some boards encouraging guys to take that walk and catch the publico to save a few dollars.

I get pissed if I have to walk up to the parking area for my ride.

voltage69
05-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Personally I wouldn't feel safe making the walk to the street for a publico with all my cash on me. I've never had a problem in the dr with being robbed or anything. But I just wouldn't want to take that risk.

sporthobbyist
05-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah......thanks for not picking me up a**! :mad:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh that was you!!??LOL
I could see the sweat on your head as I drove by. But to make you feel better my last trip the was not that strong.LOL

sporthobbyist
05-15-2012, 08:02 PM

I arrived on May 5th (have since returned home) and noticed the exact, same thing. First thing I thought about was some of the recommendations I've read on some boards encouraging guys to take that walk and catch the publico to save a few dollars.

I walk everywhere in Sosua. i never take a moto. But to walk up the hill, then wait, then get packed in and maybe take 1+ hours to get there, just for a couple dollars saved???

Jimmydr
05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
I walk everywhere in Sosua. i never take a moto. But to walk up the hill, then wait, then get packed in and maybe take 1+ hours to get there, just for a couple dollars saved???

A couple or more like $25?

DCIronman
05-15-2012, 09:06 PM

I don't care if it's $100. It aint enough for me to be walking in the hot ass tropical sun, while dragging luggage, while I'm on vacation.

Jimmydr
05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't care if it's $100. It aint enough for me to be walking in the hot ass tropical sun, while dragging luggage, while I'm on vacation.

You do it your way, I do it mine. No right way to do it.

Rubicon
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM

My bad, it was a couple of trips ago. Damn, this oxycodone and Xanax has got me f***ed up.

sporthobbyist
05-15-2012, 10:44 PM

for an extra 25 bucks, I will be in Sosua in 10-15 minutes. Compared to a possible hour+

and having to cram into a publico with luggage? and no A/C?

i will gladly pay 25 bucks more for the easier option

weyland
05-16-2012, 08:59 AM
for an extra 25 bucks, I will be in Sosua in 10-15 minutes. Compared to a possible hour+

and having to cram into a publico with luggage? and no A/C?

i will gladly pay 25 bucks more for the easier option
Why an hour plus? Ten minutes slow walk to the road, maximum five minutes wait, and 10 minutes to Sosúa. No more than 15 longer than by taxi.

I agree if you have luggage or if it is very hot or raining or if you are not reasonably fit, it would not be worth it. But in decent weather, and with only a backpack (the way many of our regular visitors arrive), it is a good option. I begrudge every peso that goes to those private taxi assholes whereas the publico drivers work hard and provide a useful service for not much money.

If it is too hot and/or you are unfit, another option would be to take a moto to La Unión (25 pesos) and publico from there. That doesn't help if it is raining of course. I wouldn't recommend a moto all the way to Sosúa even if the guy offers a good price. Too dangerous on the main roads.

SrSuerte
05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Everyone cant/do not want to ride the publico. I know LHDC might not every catch a publico again unless it is rented privately like mentioned earlier in this thread.

There is a price drop just from the walk from the Airport to the entrance of the parking lot. I have only either rented a car, walked to the entrance of the parking lot, or to the main road and road a publico.

weyland
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
I know LHDC might not every catch a publico again.
Long Hair Don't Care? I thought he didn't care? Maybe he should change his handle to LHIP (Long Hair I'm Paranoid).

oohsixman
05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
My best advice is to network when you visit Sosua. I used to pay $25 to get from pop to Sosua. Rockies does offer a free trip depending on the amount of days you book at his rooms or condos. D'Piero Hotel also offers round trip depending on your stay. I actually networked on my last two visits this year. I get picked up by my wing man who lives in Puerto Plata for free. My best advice is if you plan on visiting on a semi-annual basis, try to network as much as possible. Good luck