PDA

View Full Version : El Batey & Charamicos_Sosua_Defined

FritoBandito
09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I try to learn a new Spanish word or term every day, and here's some all can relate to:

Definition for batey:
A batey (plural is bateyes) is a company town where sugar workers live. They can be found in Cuba and the Dominican Republic..

Alas, the bateyes have gone the way of the steel towns in the US....a distant memory.......http://www.dr1.com/forums/images/smilies/depressed.gif

Definition for Charamico(s):
Most Dominican families will try to have some traditional Christmas decorations. A very popular Dominican Republic Christmas decoration, especially among the not so wealthy families, would be a 'Charamico' (Charamico in the Dominican argot literally means a dry branch of tree), which is painted in a white color and decorated with lights, ribbons, glass balls, etc.

It is basically a Dominican recreation of a snowy tree in winter! (naturally, no such things has ever been seen in reality by many Dominicans*!!) This version of a Christmas tree is especially popular because for one it is very 'economical' (everyone can afford a dry branch of a tree :-D!) Of course, you will also find 'green' Christmas trees, but they are mainly the artificial ones.

uncle ruckus
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Hey, I learned something today. I had no clue those white tree branches were called charamicos.

questner
09-19-2011, 11:41 PM
I learned that everything in Sos. is second hand, clothing, hotels, pussy (I wish it be only second hand) and now tree branches.

ROVER
09-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Very interesting Frito. Thanks for sharing

FritoBandito
09-20-2011, 01:48 AM
I learned that everything in Sos. is second hand, clothing, hotels, pussy (I wish it be only second hand) and now tree branches.

Second hand ain't all bad, I just recommend not to use condoms that are second-hand.......:lol:

......and if you must, please rinse it out first !!!!!!!!!!

And the only thing that could be possibly worse than this is second hand toilet paper......yuck!!!!!!!:wink:

mikelodge
09-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Second hand ain't all bad, I just recommend not to use condoms that are second-hand.......:lol:

......and if you must, please rinse it out first !!!!!!!!!!

And the only thing that could be possibly worse than this is second hand toilet paper......yuck!!!!!!!:wink:

Unless the user was constipated and was a hand rapper then it would be better just a packaging issue :rofl: