PDA

View Full Version : Haircut

ezsmile
09-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Because of travel, I haven't been able to get to my regular barber at home in something like 8 weeks, and I really need a haircut.

I am in Sosua now, and have seen 2 barbershops- one near the Shark Bar, and one further down Pedro Clisante near the 4 Roses bar (I only saw it last night so not exactly sure how close to the 4 Roses, but close)

Any one know if either of these places are any good, or does anyone have a suggestion of somewhere else in Sosua that is easy to find?

Any idea of cost?

I did do a search and found some old posts on Leos - this may be the place near the 4 Roses, but not sure.

Thanks!

TNT72
09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Because of travel, I haven't been able to get to my regular barber at home in something like 8 weeks, and I really need a haircut.

I am in Sosua now, and have seen 2 barbershops- one near the Shark Bar, and one further down Pedro Clisante near the 4 Roses bar (I only saw it last night so not exactly sure how close to the 4 Roses, but close)

Any one know if either of these places are any good, or does anyone have a suggestion of somewhere else in Sosua that is easy to find?

Any idea of cost?

I did do a search and found some old posts on Leos - this may be the place near the 4 Roses, but not sure.

Thanks!

Go to Rocky's and ask Rick where he goes. Or ask balcoach. There's enough ex-pats there to tell you where they go.

Jimmydr
09-25-2011, 10:25 AM

Any idea of cost?

Thanks!

I have gotten 3 haircuts in the US in the last 12 years. Much better when out of town.

joeybk
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Any idea of cost?

Thanks!

There is a babershop on the same street pass balieys restaurant coming from Dr rosen to the left is baileys keep goin left an you see a claro store ,If i recall the barber shop is a few doors down i got 2 cuts there last week

Jimmydr
09-25-2011, 10:35 AM
I just paid 200 pesos in the Capital for a haircut and shave.

joeybk
09-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Might have been gringo price but i got cut an shaved for 300 pesos an gave the guy a 50 pesos tip ,hopin he wont forget me .Than the next time i went it was a different guy ,but he cut me even better than the first lol

Chief Papi Lindo
09-25-2011, 10:46 AM
go to Dan, he is on the small street across from Classicos where WC is on the left hand side...

Jimmydr
09-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Might have been gringo price but i got cut an shaved for 300 pesos an gave the guy a 50 pesos tip ,hopin he wont forget me .Than the next time i went it was a different guy ,but he cut me even better than the first lol

Never ever tip these guys.

joeybk
09-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Never ever tip these guys.

I knew i was gonna get more than one cut ,soo i thought that he would do the right thing next time he seen me

I understand tipping is not customary in DR ,im Curious as to your thought on not tipping

Jimmydr
09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I knew i was gonna get more than one cut ,soo i thought that he would do the right thing next time he seen me

I understand tipping is not customary in DR ,im Curious as to your thought on not tipping

Just being a regular customer is more than enough. I went to Leo for may years and started paying 100 pesos. 5 years later the Dominicans were paying 150 and I was still paying 100. I had brought many guys to his spot. He had 2 othe barbers working for him at one point. He was making a fortune.

Tipping is not a Dominican thing, so why do it.

ezsmile
09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
thanks all!

Jimmydr
09-25-2011, 11:19 AM
thanks all!

I was getting my hair cut by a chica in Medellin and I got to know many of the neighbors in that area. I was there maybe 2 hours everytime I stopped by. I still stop by.

ezsmile
09-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Go to Rocky's and ask Rick where he goes. Or ask balcoach. There's enough ex-pats there to tell you where they go.

Glad to see you didn't suggest asking Robert!:biggrin::rofl::biggrin:

ezsmile
09-25-2011, 11:23 AM
i got 2 cuts there last week

was there a full moon out or what? :lol::lol:

joeybk
09-25-2011, 11:40 AM
was there a full moon out or what? :lol::lol:

I Dont like to shave unless ive got a fresh cut i hate the side burns with a clean face look on me , An im on vaca soo i try to always be fresh

ezsmile
09-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I Dont like to shave unless ive got a fresh cut i hate the side burns with a clean face look on me , An im on vaca soo i try to always be fresh

heheheh was wondering why 2 haircuts in so short a time.

el toro
09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Me and my boys went to the one closest to Passions on opposite side last week and were very impressed. Both barbers are nice with the clippers and ok with a razor

gdogg
09-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Just being a regular customer is more than enough. I went to Leo for may years and started paying 100 pesos. 5 years later the Dominicans were paying 150 and I was still paying 100. I had brought many guys to his spot. He had 2 othe barbers working for him at one point. He was making a fortune.

Leo ruled!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/3444446dcc65e5b39.jpg

:iconTU:

Rubicon
09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Cutting hair in the DR is almost like an art for them. I can't say I've ever had a bad cut and I always look forward to getting a cut while there. The biggest pain in the ass I've found is that some of them want to take an hour+ when it really shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Finally found a guy in PP who I'm happy with.

whynotme
09-25-2011, 02:23 PM
I have gotten 3 haircuts in the US in the last 12 years. Much better when out of town.
i never bothered much until a few years ago and now always get mine cut when outta the country:iconTU:
in canada its around 15 bucks with tip and taxes:mad:
in cuba just off parke central its 25cents:corky:
in thailand 2 weeks ago i paid 2 bucks

in fact now i get most things done when away from home.(can't fuck chicas and hang out with cherry girls 24/7):wink::iconTU:
in the phillipines last week i bought a pair of callaway prescription glasses for 155bucks all in (coulda got cheaper outside the tourist area but i was only there for 5 days and i needed an upgrade.)
i had over 2,000 dollars in dental work done at bangkok/pattaya hospitol earlier this year for well under 200 bucks as well:iconTU:

blazaveli
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
I normally get a cut the day before I leave and my trips or never longer than 6 days so I dont usually need a cut but what I do is bring a my Andis T outliners and line myself up. I'm nice with it and everybody thought I got a shape up and cut while I was out there so saves a little on mulah.

sosuaman
09-25-2011, 07:11 PM
down from the Orange on the same side - very small shop, very good...

just up from SuperSuper there are two o the same side - hit or miss..
George used to be there, he has since gone back to Santiago..

for a cut you will never pay more than 100/200 pesos....
including tip...

my best advice is to try them and find a barber that you trust and who cuts it the way you want it...
they are there you just need to find them...

sosuaman
09-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Tipping is not a Dominican thing, so why do it.

why not...
they need it more than you do....

foxracing
09-25-2011, 10:00 PM
i got a haircut forgot the store but it was close to rockys, terra linda... it cost me 300 for haircut and shave. But the shave was just with a electric razor...if im paying someone i like them to do the old school straight blade...

foxracing
09-25-2011, 10:01 PM
and id just go to one you see...how bad can they mess up and still have a business. plus your in sosua where every gringo is already 10/10 in the looks department

ezsmile
09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
thanks for all the helpful replies.

I ended up getting my haircut from the barbershop beside Susana's restaurant. Barber was named Jose Luis. Charged me 200 pesos.

Funny how afterward I saw two barbershops which I have walked by many times. One was just to the left of the Orange store (as had been pointed out by Sosuaman), and one was across from the Scotch and Sirloin restaruant

JD426
09-27-2011, 03:02 PM
thanks for all the helpful replies.

I ended up getting my haircut from the barbershop beside Susana's restaurant. Barber was named Jose Luis. Charged me 200 pesos.

Funny how afterward I saw two barbershops which I have walked by many times. One was just to the left of the Orange store (as had been pointed out by Sosuaman), and one was across from the Scotch and Sirloin restaruant

Thats the dude I like too .
HEs is the BEST.... he cuts my hair, i could not remember the name..
he cuts it short, but just trust him. Hes really good with a straight razor too, not a nick..

just dont let that dude Alex who speaks fluent english try to hook you up with any girls, not sure if hes still working there, i think he has left .that dude is a straight up hustler/ wanna be pimp.

DCIronman
09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
100 pesos is about right. That's how much I pay for haircuts in Santiago.

Jimmydr
09-27-2011, 05:54 PM
100 pesos is about right. That's how much I pay for haircuts in Santiago.

I feel bad because I got ripped off in the capital. I paid 130.

DCIronman
09-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't get a shave. Just a cut. Have to be careful with my face. That's probably why it only cost me 100.

Jimmydr
09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't get a shave. Just a cut. Have to be careful with my face. That's probably why it only cost me 100.

I need to look pretty for the ladies.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

MrHappy
09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I pay 100 for mine, and they take about 10 minutes.

But, like it was mentioned before, some guys think their hair has to be cut by Michelangelo, and take 45 minutes for it to be done right.

shredder
09-29-2011, 07:33 AM
The best barber I have found is named Blade. He is in the shop on Pedro Clisante near Super Super. Next to Super Super is a bank, then you come to the Barber shop. It is next to the little super market. Remember to ask for "Blade." 200 pesos.

LJDMV
09-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I have received some good haircuts in Sosua. For the price you cant beat it. I usually get 2 cuts during my stay there because the price is so low. ! cut when i arrive and 1 cut the day before i go home. I first went to Dany the barber 'Hustler".. He would get me any info on any females i wanted or translate if necessary. Once i found out he cut hair i figured i would rather give him money to cut my hair and still get all the info i needed if necessary. This was only during my first and second visit... I put a video up with him in one of my trip reports when he took us to the hood looking for a specific female..

Corrado
10-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I feel bad because I got ripped off in the capital. I paid 130.

In the capital or Santiago 150-175 for a barber in an upscale shopping center is about right. 100-140 is about right for a more modest neighborhood or bario barber. In other towns 130-140 is about right for a barber in an upscale area