PDA

View Full Version : Random questions, newbie trip coming up in a week

Orange
09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
1. I'm arriving at POP Sunday midday. Where would be the best place to exchange my money? I may just use an ATM on Sunday and exchange my cash on Monday morning.

2. How do you know the official exchange rate? Is there a central bank website that shows the official rate? Or do you just shop around? I'm in town for only 3 nights, I don't want to "shop" around. I just want to know if the rate I'm getting is within 5% of the "official" rate.

3. Where is the closest place to NG to buy Listerine, Gatorade, beer, etc?

Thanks. I will write a report when I get back.

Seville
09-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Lots of guys on the street offering to change money. Don't take less than 37.5 from the street guys. There is a small colmado just up the street from NG, next to Rockys.

blazaveli
09-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Most of your questions have been answered in other threads so you might have to start reading...

You can check the exchange rate before you go but since it can change from day to day its easy to download an app that tells you. If you have an Android phone or an Apple product that wont be an issue. There's free wifi spots all over town so even if you can only access the web you'll still be able to find the current rate.

Just got back and the best rates was at the western union. They give you the exact going rate. It was 38.10 while I was there. We also got 38 at the supermarket. Those are the only two places we exchanged money while we were in town. I think its saver too to avoid any chance of getting counterfeits.

If you need some cash exchanged at the airport thats cool but like Robert said don't take less than 37.5 and I would only exchange just a little for what you need to get around from the airport and exchange the rest when you get to Sosua for a better rate.

They'll take US dollar anywhere you go but thats not a good idea since they like to round shit up in American dollars and they never you give the right amount of change but if push comes to shuff that is an option also.

tarzan
09-25-2011, 10:41 PM
The current rate is 38pesos per 1us. http://www.xe.com/ucc/ Here's how you can kill two birds with one stone.

walk across the street from NG and head right, just around the corner you'll see Baileys on your right, keep going 'till next corner wher just a few paces around that corner there's a place that will exchange it for close to actual value. Then back to corner where across the street there's a supermarket with just about everything you need.

If the cambio place is closed on sunday, at that same corner, ask for LUIS but don't let him change it for less then 37.5

have fun.

blazaveli
09-25-2011, 10:48 PM
1. I'm arriving at POP Sunday midday. Where would be the best place to exchange my money? I may just use an ATM on Sunday and exchange my cash on Monday morning.

2. How do you know the official exchange rate? Is there a central bank website that shows the official rate? Or do you just shop around? I'm in town for only 3 nights, I don't want to "shop" around. I just want to know if the rate I'm getting is within 5% of the "official" rate.

3. Where is the closest place to NG to buy Listerine, Gatorade, beer, etc?

Thanks. I will write a report when I get back.

By the way the Western Union will be closed on Sunday so your best bet will be the big Supermarket of 5 (Supermarcado Playero). All the street dudes know the Western Union is closed on Sunday so that will be the worst day to get change from them on the street cause they will all quote you the same price in Sosua and it will be less than what you would get during the week. If you can get what you need for the day from the Supermarket and change the rest on Monday that would be your best bet.

ralphie1
09-25-2011, 11:08 PM
the new garden will change your money as well. they dont trade at the 38 per rate, but... for smaller amounts, you wont lose that much

good advice, have some various denominations of u.s. dollars on you. when you leave the ariport first negotiate your cab rate and/orlook at the board at the airport that says how much the rate is to sosua. pay the cabbie in dollars as well as your room. head straight for the new garden, chnage enough dollars there to get your supplies and some pussy that night. ask the staff at the ng for directions for all the things you need.

that keeps things simple

JD426
09-26-2011, 12:26 AM
As others have just said
take a taxi to the NG , negotiate no more than $20
but they will probably already have a guy waiting for you holding a sign with your name in HUGE letters , just when you get outside the exit..
unless thats changed ?
check in at the NG,. get settled in.
Take a motoconcho back up to Playero Supermercado, and enjoy shopping for supplies , enjoy the AC, buy some minutes on your CELL if you got one already. thats the counter on your RIGHT as you walk in.
. dont make the bags heavy so you can take a moto back to the hotel, if you are good on a bike you can sit on the back of a concho with 2 full bags no problem, he will go slow or hold 2 heavy bags on one side. U can do it.
So when you check out at the Playero.. just tell them you want Cambio from USD
even if your supplies are like 500 pesos, she will break whatever you want in USD $200, $400 $500, they dont care.. and they will give you change in Pesos and its ALL right there on the register screen so you will know the RATE and how much you got coming and you wont get cheated. Now you have a good Base Rate to go by..and u probably wont get more ,unless you to to Western union on Monday (the street guys will definitely give you less on a weekend)
also try not to take any 2mil peso notes,as they are a bitch to get change for .
Simple.
U can also use the same taxi guy as you are pulling into town , dip into the Playero & then just tip him for waiting, if he is willing to do it, but I think it may count as another 200 peso fare on top of the $20, so I would check into the hotel first myself..

Orange
09-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks a lot guys, lots of very good info.

I'm having NG pick me up from the airport for $20.

I have a map of Sosua (from an ISOC member) so getting around the huge metropolis (:rofl::rofl::rofl:) shouldn't be an issue.

Good info about recharging the cell. But can I buy a SIM on Sunday? I have an unlocked quad-band phone but no SIM. I think I read the cell store is closed on sunday.

DASBOOTY
09-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks a lot guys, lots of very good info.

I'm having NG pick me up from the airport for $20.

I have a map of Sosua (from an ISOC member) so getting around the huge metropolis (:rofl::rofl::rofl:) shouldn't be an issue.

Good info about recharging the cell. But can I buy a SIM on Sunday? I have an unlocked quad-band phone but no SIM. I think I read the cell store is closed on sunday.

Orange, the Orange store in Sosúa is open from 9:00am till noon on Sunday.

canobacon
09-27-2011, 12:09 AM
I usually change my money with the dude directly across from Terra Linda (mainly due to convenience, and he seems to generally give me a good rate).

One quick warning, went to the cambio directly after El Flow's 2x on this trip as he's one of the only ones that's open late at night, and he tried to shaft me for 500 pesos both times. Definitely count out your money after he hands it to you.

JD426
09-27-2011, 12:53 AM
I usually change my money with the dude directly across from Terra Linda (mainly due to convenience, and he seems to generally give me a good rate).

One quick warning, went to the cambio directly after El Flow's 2x on this trip as he's one of the only ones that's open late at night, and he tried to shaft me for 500 pesos both times. Definitely count out your money after he hands it to you.

This was talked about at length on another the "best exchange rate" thread.
He is KNOWN for this move, exactly the same amount every time, 500 pesos.... He has tried it on at least half a dozen guys, including you , and myself , who have caught him, and I wonder how many more who dont count their money. He must be getting away with it cause he keeps doing it. It used to be a good spot, but they can not be trusted any more.

Orange
09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
My trip is 4 days away and I thought of acouple more questions:

1. What is the typical "dress code"? I know it's hotter than hell there, so I assume shorts and t-shirt around town during the day? What about the discos at night? Sneakers?

2. Is there a place that sells SIM card besides Orange and Claro stores? I understand that they are closed when I come in on Sunday.

3. When you take out chicas for TLN, what is the standard leave time for them? Does it matter what time you take them out?

4. ST is one hour or is it a couple of hours? 1 leche only?

Gracias! :wink:

Jimmydr
09-28-2011, 02:40 PM

It depends on you and what is going on. A ST can be 20 minutes to 9 hours. It all depends on what is going on. For example, yoy bang her and then ask her if she wants to swim, and she says sure. after the swim you ask her if she wants ice cream and she says sure. Its not written in stone.

Jimmydr
09-28-2011, 02:42 PM
2. Is there a place that sells SIM card besides Orange and Claro stores? I understand that they are closed when I come in on Sunday.

You have a short trip, no need for a cell.

Nakom
09-28-2011, 03:18 PM
If you have to have a sim card on Sunday there is a cell phone store run by two German brothers between the shark bar and seacrets on pedro.

TNT72
09-28-2011, 03:31 PM
If you have to have a sim card on Sunday there is a cell phone store run by two German brothers between the shark bar and seacrets on pedro.

They're closed on Sunday to.

For your first trip, and its only 4 days, I wouldn't stress about a SIM card. If you want one, just grab it on Monday. Your first day will fly by!

BorisDaBulletDodger
09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
When you exchange money, assuming you are changing at least $100, I usually ask to break 1000 pesos to a bunch of 50 and 100 peso bills which come in handy for a tipper like myself or she. You hear the "I don't have change" excuse.

also on my last trip at the Orange store they had a program where you leave a 500 peso deposit and they lend you a card, which is basically them gambling on the fact that you will either forget or not have enough time to return it. My friend ended up forgetting.

Just buy the sim card for a few hundred pesos.

getrhythm
09-28-2011, 05:20 PM

1. What is the typical "dress code"? I know it's hotter than hell there, so I assume shorts and t-shirt around town during the day? What about the discos at night? Sneakers?

3. When you take out chicas for TLN, what is the standard leave time for them? Does it matter what time you take them out?

Okay - I'll see if I can handle these two. Regarding the dress code, like most elsewhere in Latin America, shorts and a t-shirt will immediately mark you as a clueless tourist. You should show some respect and not draw too much attention to yourself by dressing in long pants and a nice button down shirt like the locals do...

NOT!!!

This isn't phucking Medellin for chrissakes - it's a casual little beach town. Wear whatever the phuck you want - everybody else does. Just check out the pics on the site to see how most of the guys on the board dress - that will be useful. Even going into Classicos doesn't really require that you wear anything special - unlike Help in Rio where I always felt like I needed to dress a bit.

Regarding TLNs, I assume you're talking about freelancers and not Passions barfines (who are supposed to stay until 9 or 10 in the morning IIRC). Anyways, with Classicos or After One pulls, like most things in life it all depends. I've had everything happen from 5-pop marathons where the chica stayed well into the next afternoon, to the chica making some stupid excuse to leave after one round and blowing off the TLN completely (they got less cash then too).

The primary bit of advice I would offer is not to commit yourself too early. There will be all kinds of chicas (usually the less desirable ones) all over you trying to get you to pull them before the A-team arrives, which is usually about 1am. Firmly blow them off and bide your time. The sweet spot in Classicos is about 1am to 2:30am. After that things thin out a bit and the pickings get slimmer. So stay aware of the situation and strike while the iron is hot.

Buena suerte!

Orange
09-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Good shit, thanks fellas!!!!

michel3275
09-28-2011, 07:43 PM

3. When you take out chicas for TLN, what is the standard leave time for them?
Does it matter what time you take them out?

Whenever you can kick em out, some will leave on their own, others dont ever want to leave, they want to get married, have children and receive WU money

SeaWeed
09-28-2011, 08:13 PM
3. When you take out chicas for TLN, what is the standard leave time for them

:wink:
from my experience it's around 6AM give or take.......
they always have an excuse why they can't stay........
usually they say it's because of kids etc

Does it matter what time you take them out?

:wink:
most guys grab their Chicas after midnight for TLN......usually around 1AM - 2AM

Sosua is really a ST town as far as a lot of the Chicas are concerned.........
you'll need to try a different destination if you want true TLN experiences........
picking up a hooker at 2AM and her leaving at 6AM isn't a TLN in this guys book
most of the Chicas have kids and have to be there when they get up in the morning....
in a lot of other countries the hookers mother or grandmother take care of kids.....
thus it makes it possible for the gurl to give a true TLN experience and stay for breakfast etc when the kids aren't nearby........

DCIronman
09-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I never pick up a TLN before 1-2am. And I've found that how long she stays depends upon how much chemistry you've developed with her. But I don't think I've ever had a chica leave before 10am or so. Because that's what time I'm usually waking up. And most chicas sleep so deeply that I have to wake them up for my morning slice.

Since I'm usually in a villa, getting up at 6am to take a chica back to the strip aint happening. I wish a chica would wake me up that early to tell me she needs to leave. I'd be like OK good luck with that, on go right back to sleep. LOL!

sosuaman
09-28-2011, 08:35 PM
The primary bit of advice I would offer is not to commit yourself too early. There will be all kinds of chicas (usually the less desirable ones) all over you trying to get you to pull them before the A-team arrives, which is usually about 1am. Firmly blow them off and bide your time. The sweet spot in Classicos is about 1am to 2:30am. After that things thin out a bit and the pickings get slimmer. So stay aware of the situation and strike while the iron is hot.

Buena suerte!

classic advice....

Jimmydr
09-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Whenever you can kick em out, some will leave on their own, others dont ever want to leave, they want to get married, have children and receive WU money

Man you guys are funny. This shit never happens to us experienced guys, NEVER!

Jimmydr
09-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I never pick up a TLN before 1-2am. And I've found that how long she stays depends upon how much chemistry you've developed with her. But I don't think I've ever had a chica leave before 10am or so. Because that's what time I'm usually waking up. And most chicas sleep so deeply that I have to wake them up for my morning slice.

Since I'm usually in a villa, getting up at 6am to take a chica back to the strip aint happening. I wish a chica would wake me up that early to tell me she needs to leave. I'd be like OK good luck with that, on go right back to sleep. LOL!

I try to get mine between 7PM - 9PM.

Pacoloco
10-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Dress up Orange you'll definitely get better prices that way :wink: NOT! One night I wore long pants and a dress shirt out, met a sexy chica in Classicos and she quotes me 5k and asked if I was a doctor. WTF, I went back to cargo shorts and dirty t-shirts after that. :lol: