PDA

View Full Version : Marcos Diaz wins Hong Kong swim

NewsWhore
10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Dominican open water swimming star Marcos Diaz has won the 5th Annual Ocean Recovery Alliance Clean Half, the extreme marathon swim race in Hong Kong. He set a new event record with his finish time of 3 hours 21 minutes 44 seconds in the 15 kilometers environmental race.

Ranked as one of the top open water swims in the world, 35 teams and 13 solo swimmers from six countries braved the winds, swells, rough surface chop and tricky ocean currents to finish the 15K course in the warm, blue waters.

The 2010 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year and two-time winner Marcos Diaz won the men's solo race again in 3 hours 44 min with Gary Claydon was second (3:50) and Dave Mathews in third (3:58).

After the race, Diaz said: "This event is amazing because of the incredible scenery and water, just next to one of the most crowded cities in the world. When Doug Woodring mentioned that Hong Kong is like New York and Hawaii put together, I laughed, but when I came and saw it, I completely knew what he was talking about."

Stretching from Stanley to Deepwater Bay, the relay course enables the swimmers, pilots and volunteers to see Hong Kong's most stunning views - scenery most businesspeople never have the opportunity to enjoy. Held along the 'Clean Half' of Hong Kong Island, the event is also organized to highlight the importance of Hong Kong's ocean and water environment.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#9)