PDA

View Full Version : travel advisories

Apos
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
for the DR from different countries (on DR1)
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/58249-us-travel-advisory-seems-getting-worse.html

mack10
01-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Rocky
01-08-2007, 04:55 PM
for the DR from different countries (on DR1)
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/58249-us-travel-advisory-seems-getting-worse.html It's interesting that they are talking about vehicular-armed robberies.
Years ago, when I traveled a lot at night, it was a frequent occurrence.
Cops had no vehicles to intercept or even to patrol.
El Tunel on the POP to Santiago road, via Navarete, was a favorite spot for them.
They would block the tunnel at both ends.
Many times, back in those days. vehicles would try to either force me or persuade me off the road, or to stop.
So now, many years later, when that type of crime is rare, but news travels fast and the press is always looking for something to talk about, we get these reports.
What really has changed, is drug consumption.
That has increased substantially, and the use of crack has made for some more violent crime, by druggies looking for a fix, or so stoned that they have no fear or boundaries.
It's hard to say if crime is on the rise, or if we just have so much more access to news.
One thing for sure, considering we have some odd 20 times more cars on the roads, than 15 years ago, and that vehicular - armed robberies were dropping anyhow, we probably have 2% of what we used to, relative to the amount of vehicles on the road.
So now, they decide to issue travel advisories about it.
Dummies.
At least, if they addressed something real, be it drugs, or pickpockets, traffic accidents, maybe even dengue fever, but this advisory is BS.
How many ISOC members are there?
Anyone had one single experience with this?

RSMMAN
01-08-2007, 05:01 PM
That's it I'm going to brazil instead ...ha ha
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/RSMMAN/PISTOLCHICA.jpg

Beads
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I have travelled that road a bunch of times. Even stopping at various bars and shops along the way. You should always keep your wits about you but its no more dangerous than plenty of other cities here at home I frequent on an almost daily basis.

In fact I consider most of the DR less dangerous than quite a few US cities. I dont advise walking into dark alleys alone in the middle of the night but you should feel fairly safe especially in areas tourists frequented by tourists.

If you keep your head on straight you should be fine.

MrHappy
01-08-2007, 06:17 PM
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling"
Rocky, nobody's on this board has been living here longer than me, and I call BS too.
Of course, they're referring to the touristic highway over the mountains. I have YET to hear of anyone being robbed on that road. For that matter, I've never heard anything about the road through La Cumbre, or the Navarette to PP road either.
Funny that if it's so bad, why don't we ever see anything in any of the local papers or webpages.
I think it's just a "I told you so" mentality that the US Gov't will fall back on if there is an increase in crime.
And yes, drugs are increidibly out of control. Every day there's another big bust.

MegaSquirt
01-09-2007, 12:02 AM
On my last trip, (May-2006) I rode through these roads in the middle of the night and it was beautiful seeing the lights twinkling (Santiago) from miles away. The aroma of fresh Coffee is always nearby. There are always people out here at all hours. My only concern is that there are donkeys out here and they are clueless. Other than that, rain is more a concern than worrying about getting robbed and I intend to go through here again.

Apos
01-09-2007, 12:04 AM
how long have you been living in the DR?

you must still have a ton of stories we haven't heard yet....hint, hint:lol:
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling"
Rocky, nobody's on this board has been living here longer than me, and I call BS too.
Of course, they're referring to the touristic highway over the mountains. I have YET to hear of anyone being robbed on that road. For that matter, I've never heard anything about the road through La Cumbre, or the Navarette to PP road either.
Funny that if it's so bad, why don't we ever see anything in any of the local papers or webpages.
I think it's just a "I told you so" mentality that the US Gov't will fall back on if there is an increase in crime.
And yes, drugs are increidibly out of control. Every day there's another big bust.

MrHappy
01-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I originally came to Santo Domingo in November of 1970.

A ton of stories would be putting it lightly, but those are better left for in person encounters...