PDA

View Full Version : How much booze

Greenthumb
10-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Guys ,
How much alcohol and cigarettes can I bring to the DR without paying duty? Thnx

deezl
10-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't think there's a limit, but cigarettes are much cheaper to buy in DR (around $3US/pack). If you're bringing a lot of booze, be careful with your suitcase weight limits, airlines are absolutely killing people on overweight bags now.

el toro
10-14-2011, 09:52 AM
For the hastle of carrying or packing it you may wish to just buy it on your way out at the airport. You may pay a little more, but most stores in DR have everything just about.

Cigarettes are $35 a carton at POP.

insular
10-14-2011, 09:55 AM
www.google.com (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/www.google.com)

blazaveli
10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I don't think there's a limit, but cigarettes are much cheaper to buy in DR (around $3US/pack). If you're bringing a lot of booze, be careful with your suitcase weight limits, airlines are absolutely killing people on overweight bags now.

there should definitely be a limit with the airline on how much liqour you can travel with. As for as how much prior to having to pay duty I am not certain but I am sure you can prolly get that information from your airline.

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Make sure you can fit whatever you buy into your carry on luggage, if you carry a bunch of duty free bags openly they will tax you, I always leave enough room in there.

I never bought more then 1 bottle and one carton of cigarettes on the way to the Dr.

On the way back I tend to buy more. I have been stopped and it really comes down to how much of a prick they want to be. The hot girls in the Dr side of the duty free shop will tell you 5 of each category, one time I bought 5 cartons, and 3 bottles, and they saw the bag and made me pay the taxes. I think what set them off was that I didnt declare them on the little form.

The actual rule is one of each.

Last trip I had people in my crew who do not drink or smoke and I bought extra and had them carry it across customs for me.

The got some hotties at the sdq duty free

TC
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I've always brought 2 bottles back home with me, and never paid tax. At the POP airport, you can get 2 1-litre bottles of Bailey's for (I think) $32 or less, and no tax, and that's a steal. My only decision was whether to declare them as food. I used to, and I would always have to go "over there and talk to that man", until a customs agent said no need to declare booze as food. Nor do they declare in the US, whether you got it at duty free outside the U.S.

I've often bought 2 bottles home from many places because I thought that was the limit. Then I found out it's one. I always declared "rum" or "wine" or whatever, without a number of bottles. And since I didn't think I was breaking any rules, I obviously didn't look "wrong" coming through customs. Maybe that's why they always let me go.

BTW, if you ever bring home coffee beans from anywhere, and the agent asks you if they are roasted, your answer should always be yes. Otherwise, they could be considered a plant, and that's not allowed.

Si_Poppi
10-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Whether there is a limit or not is essentially irrelevant.
There is no declaration form and nobody asks.
But yeah of course don`t carry a bunch of duty free bags and make yourself look like an easy target idiot.

BadBoyBilly
10-14-2011, 10:37 PM
At the POP airport, you can get 2 1-litre bottles of Bailey's for (I think) $32 or less, and no tax, and that's a steal. Totally OT but if you ever travelling throgh Singapore Airport 1Ltr Baileys $20

Greenthumb
10-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks guys. I go to Canada a lot and the limit is the same as the US. 24 cans beer or 1.5l of hard liquer or wine. They allow 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars. If you bring more you must declare it and pay the taxes.
I wasn't sure if it was the same in the DR. I like a couple of brands of burbon that I doubt I can get down there.
I know last time I came back from the dr the US customs agent inspected and counted my cigars. They didn't have labels and he grilled me on where they were from.. Ha ha !! He told me fine smuggling Cuban cigars was $ 200 each.

questner
10-18-2011, 02:42 PM
The right answer is:

200g of tobacco
20 boxes of cigarettes OR 25 cigars
up to 3L of beer, wine or liquor

swiggy
10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
the hassle of carrying the booze sometimes just isnt worth it. A few years back i bought 2 bottles of baileys from the duty free at JFK. when i got off the plane i couldnt find my credit card for the car rental. i was going to rent a condo from a guy who lived in in sea horse ranch. so i jumped in a taxi and as we got near sosua he tried to tell me i had to pay him more than the sign at the airport i told him just take me to sosua. when i got out of the car he grabbed my backpack and threw it on the ground, i didnt see him but i heard it. I didnt say anything at the time although i wanted to. i put the backpack on and walked in the hotel. when i got to the desk my back felt wet. it was one of the bottles of baileys and it got in my phone and my brand new ipod. i went to the taxi stand every day to look for that guy im glad now i never saw him. ill pay the extra couple bucks at super super or playero from now on.

Si_Poppi
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
the hassle of carrying the booze sometimes just isnt worth it. A few years back i bought 2 bottles of baileys from the duty free at JFK. when i got off the plane i couldnt find my credit card for the car rental. i was going to rent a condo from a guy who lived in in sea horse ranch. so i jumped in a taxi and as we got near sosua he tried to tell me i had to pay him more than the sign at the airport i told him just take me to sosua. when i got out of the car he grabbed my backpack and threw it on the ground, i didnt see him but i heard it. I didnt say anything at the time although i wanted to. i put the backpack on and walked in the hotel. when i got to the desk my back felt wet. it was one of the bottles of baileys and it got in my phone and my brand new ipod. i went to the taxi stand every day to look for that guy im glad now i never saw him. ill pay the extra couple bucks at super super or playero from now on.This extremely unusual and rare event is hardly a reason not to buy duty free booze.