PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Scam - Warning

tampabukkake
01-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Guys
A scam is growing and out of control in the Dominican Republic (as probably in other Countries) I became a victim!

Here is how it goes ... you use your credit card in a store (or a chica reads your credit card) they write the numbers down or have a good memory and when you are not looking they write them down. Also from old receipts.

They have machines that imprint your credit card numbers with another name and use a fake ID. BTW if you go into Office Depot you can by blank cards for about twenty bucks and use a printer to put a logo on the card. Although the magnetic swipe does not work... the clerk punches in the numbers... and whammo .....

Anyway I check my account about every two days.... while I was checking I noticed about $1800 USD used in Santo Domingo when I was in Puerto Plata. I called my bank and they cancelled the account and did not have to pay the charges.

Funny thing.... three charges are restaurants in SDQ... France Croissant, Restaurant Chino Maris and Cafeteria Manolo .... hmmm all recommended by the great Cheeno.... CHEENO where are you!!! Only kidding about it being Cheeno as I never met him but wish to party with him one day.

But true that they used it at those restaurants among some Farmacias and Ferreterias.

I did have the stupid habit of throwing my ATM receipts and charge receips away... so be warned!

Hemp
01-30-2007, 03:55 PM
which is why i dont use my CC/DC down there...only place i have used it was the Banco Popular.

i know alot of guys use there cards for ATM machines. but i just dont trust anything electronic down there except the banco popular.

i use cash for all transactions.

tampabukkake
01-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Just remember... you don t have to use it... there are clever women... such as looking at pictures in your wallet and glancng at the numbers, getting pickpocketed or just talking about how naive they are and have never seen a credit card.... can you show me what one looks like , papi...

Cuba Libre
01-30-2007, 04:07 PM
I did have the stupid habit of throwing my ATM receipts and charge receips away... so be warned!In the US, credit card receipts (your copy, not the store's) are no longer supposed to show the credit card number.

Not sure the same is true in the DR.

Beads
01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
I have heard of electronic devices being used at an ATM in Sosua last year to grab the card info to create a new ATM card and capture your pin info also. Similar to the scam they do here in the us. The device fits in fron of the card slot and grabs your card info so they can recreate your card. There is also a person nearby looking to see your pin. With this information they can take funds out of your account with a duplicate ATM card.

Some suggestions....

Use a PayPal debit card only at 1 ATM machine at a reputable bank . Check the slot for obviously attached electronic device where you slip your card in. Try to use a bank with a 24hr security guard watching is best.

Dont buy things on credit card at stores or restaurants use only cash there.Use it to pay for a hotel room at a reputable hotel and possibly 1 cash advance.

Limit yourself to bringing only 1 credit card to the DR.

If you are using a credit or debit card check balances constantly to monitor it. (This might not even help because they could run it up in a matter of minutes to hours).

Hemp
01-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Just remember... you don t have to use it... there are clever women... such as looking at pictures in your wallet and glancng at the numbers, getting pickpocketed or just talking about how naive they are and have never seen a credit card.... can you show me what one looks like , papi...

like i said in another post...only thing i carry around abroad is a couple thousand pesos and my room key. everything else never sees the light of day again, until im headed back to the airport to go home.

this is a good post by the way...

Cuba Libre
01-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I would change that to "use" only 1 CC in the DR. You always want to bring a back-up card (especially if you need to cancel your main card because of fraud).

guttaman
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks Tampa. As always be carefull of places that take imprints of your card. Rented a car last year and the yahoo that had the car before me left the rental agreement in the glove compartment with his cc# imprinted on it.

BCell
01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
keep minimal funds in debit accounts when traveling and phone numbers for your card(s) banks

kiddfrost
01-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Damn god. That's fucked up... I used the ATMs down there. And since I got security on my card. I have to call my CC provider to let them know that I'm in a certain country and give them my password and other info. If I don't do this they will lock my card until I can prove where I'm at and how much was taken out during the course of my stay... It seems like a hastle but it's that or lose money I haven't spent... New Visa security !!!

RearWindow
01-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I have heard of electronic devices being used at an ATM in Sosua last year to grab the card info to create a new ATM card and capture your pin info also. Similar to the scam they do here in the us. The device fits in fron of the card slot and grabs your card info so they can recreate your card. There is also a person nearby looking to see your pin. With this information they can take funds out of your account with a duplicate ATM card.

Some suggestions....

Use a PayPal debit card only at 1 ATM machine at a reputable bank . Check the slot for obviously attached electronic device where you slip your card in. Try to use a bank with a 24hr security guard watching is best.

Dont buy things on credit card at stores or restaurants use only cash there.Use it to pay for a hotel room at a reputable hotel and possibly 1 cash advance.

If you are using a credit or debit card check balances constantly to monitor it. (This might not even help because they could run it up in a matter of minutes to hours).Excellent points. I only use Bancopopular for ATM's, as I have used them a lot in MX without problems. Cash is still king, but you do risk the chance of losing it in a moment of weakness. I only use an ATM that I have seen other people using, and I NEVER use one at night.
Credit card only for my hotel. Be careful out there.

kiddfrost
01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
I didn't charge anything... I don't trust anyone enough to give my card to... Cash only... That's why God made banks and banks made ATMs. So no one would get my card number and charge up shit before I knew about it.

SJG
01-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Cash is still king.

tampabukkake
01-31-2007, 12:27 PM

I don t want to get off track here.... using a CC in the ATM is not the only way that you can have your numbers ripped off ....