PDA

View Full Version : Credits to the electric sector total US$1.738 billion

NewsWhore
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
The government has tried everything to solve the country's electricity problems, but it is still a drain on the people and on the economy. This seems to be the conclusion of Jairon Severino's article in today's Listin Diario. Over the last 14 years the problems in the electricity sector have been the most pressing for the last four administrations as they try every way possible to put an end to the financial deficit that for years has affected the sustainability of the electricity companies. Some of the institutions involved are the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the OFID (the Opec Fund for International Development), PetroCaribe, the Exim Bank of Brazil and financial entities in Spain and the United States. Among the projects carried out or currently being implemented and those planned for 2013, the sum of US$1,738,300,000 has ended up in the electricity sector. The long list of projects covers everything from hydroelectric dams to new power lines around Santo Domingo.

As Severino points out, the inability to eliminate or even reduce the deficit has been a sticking point with the IMF and the Stand-by arrangement signed in October 2009. One of the seemingly bottomless pits is the government policy of Bonoluz which is the designated recipient of most of the latest loans to the Ministry of Hacienda, although Celso Marranzini says that he hopes that he will receive a little of that money to buy electric meters. "I desperately need money for meters. I do not have any electric meters and I don't have the resources to buy them. It is shameful that we have a million people connected without any way of measuring their consumption," he said.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#1)