PDA

View Full Version : New DR immigration laws

WickedWillie
12-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Proposed some months ago the new DR immigration laws become effective in January.

Good summary of the new regulations here:
http://totallyexpat.com/global-immigration-news/dominican-republic-government-begins-implement-immigration-law/

Immigration is a big issue here, thanks mainly to the porous Haitian border and the associated problems that brings, like this years Cholera outbreak.

You can bet your arse that the days of gringos living here without legalised status is coming to an end and is going to get way more expensive.

If you live here get documented.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jimmydr
12-30-2011, 05:52 PM
I think they are out to get Sidney?

hugrad95a
12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
You gringos are going to get deported back to the good ole USA and be doomed to old pussy....lol

hugrad95a
12-30-2011, 07:08 PM
The new law increases the admission period for business visitors and tourists to 60 days, up from the current 30-day limit. Extensions of up to 60 days are available, provided the foreign national undergoes a medical exam and shows confirmed travel reservations or other proof of final departure from the Dominican Republic.

What's with all the medical exams......

nycdude
12-30-2011, 08:36 PM
The new law increases the admission period for business visitors and tourists to 60 days, up from the current 30-day limit. Extensions of up to 60 days are available, provided the foreign national undergoes a medical exam and shows confirmed travel reservations or other proof of final departure from the Dominican Republic.

It sounds like they mean business. But I only stay a week or so in sosua on vacation, thank god I won't have to endure a Dominican prostate exam !!!

princepointe
12-30-2011, 08:38 PM

Cholera outbreak

questner
12-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Cholera outbreak

In Haiti recent Cholera strain has been attributed to UN Nepalese soldiers.

MrHappy
01-01-2012, 08:21 AM
"Changes to temporary residence renewals". Under current law, a temporary residence permit is valid for one year and cannot be renewed, but can be converted into a permanent residence permit before expiration. Under the new law, the temporary residence permit will be valid for one year and will be renewable. After the fourth renewal, the foreign national will be eligible for permanent residence. The Director of Immigration will have the discretion to allow a foreign national to apply for permanent residence before the fourth renewal if he or she can demonstrate extraordinary professional, scientific or technical expertise."

it's about fucking time.

I just renewed my residency again last month, this time for 4 years. The 2 year term just goes too damn fast.

Sidney
01-01-2012, 08:36 AM

Doctors have a strong lobby!:mad:

Sidney
01-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Proposed some months ago the new DR immigration laws become effective in January.

Good summary of the new regulations here:
http://totallyexpat.com/global-immigration-news/dominican-republic-government-begins-implement-immigration-law/

Immigration is a big issue here, thanks mainly to the porous Haitian border and the associated problems that brings, like this years Cholera outbreak.

You can bet your arse that the days of gringos living here without legalised status is coming to an end and is going to get way more expensive.

If you live here get documented.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
And I might add, a lot more ''legal fees'' to be charged by scum bag lawyers!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jimmydr
01-01-2012, 09:43 AM
And I might add, a lot more ''legal fees'' to be charge by scum bag lawyers!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You are a guest in that country so if you don't want to pay, GET OUT!

Sidney
01-01-2012, 09:46 AM
I want to come to MDE and be with you, Jimmy.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jimmydr
01-01-2012, 09:48 AM
I want to come to MDE and be with you, Jimmy.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

My point is that over the years, I have come across criminals and scumbags and they move around so freely it's scary. These countries need to have better controls over these pieces of shit.

Come to Colombia if you like. You may not like it at all after a week.

el toro
01-01-2012, 02:12 PM
My first thought when I saw the title was "WTF, you mean they have laws".

Imagine that DR and Laws in the same sentence. That usually just means an attempt to eliminate those that can't contribute financially and require those that can to pay more. Wait a minute that would help sustain the working/middle class in the US if there were less riding for free and more paying it forward by those that can. Ok that's my rare political point--not trying to start a gov't debate.

Happy New Year and best wishes to you and all your families in 12'. Peace...

Kevy
01-01-2012, 02:16 PM
The same thing happens everywhere, in Thailand they are always tightening up the laws there.

And you want to talk about criminals and scumbags, you should see the guys they are catching and deporting there.

Sidney
01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Currently, tourists like me, can stay in excess of 30, 60, 90, mas? days and then pay a small fine at the airport to depart. Is this still possible? Or do we need to pursue some period of residency?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

weyland
01-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I don't think they are going to go looking for people to deport unless they are Haitian. The overwhelming majority of gringos are nett contributors to the DR. Worse case, a bribe should do the trick, at least for the time being.

However if you bring yourself to the attention of the authorities that would be a different matter. Business owners, those who get drunk or aggressive in public, and car drivers better get residencia promptly.

I had just started my application last year but shelved it when I had my operation. Kept meaning to start again. This will give me the prod I need, but I am not panicking.

Sidney
01-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Currently, tourists like me, can stay in excess of 30, 60, 90, mas? days and then pay a small fine at the airport to depart. Is this still possible? Or do we need to pursue some period of residency?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I was near the 90 day limit for rental car insurance eligibility. So I did a r.t. Dajabon/Haiti trip to validate my passport today. No repercussions. But where I stand now with this new law is very confusing.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

WickedWillie
01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I was near the 90 day limit for rental car insurance eligibility. So I did a r.t. Dajabon/Haiti trip to validate my passport today. No repercussions. But where I stand now with this new law is very confusing.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

New laws only apply to those that want to take out residency, so continue leaving the country every 90 days and you should be good to go to on validating your vehicle insurance.

Remember you will always be a tourist and will pay those 'small fines' on exiting the DR......BUT......IMO it's just a matter of time before those current small fines become punitive. Llego Papa:rofl:

WickedWillie
01-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Looks like the authorities may be getting serious. Guess we should starting checking documents before giving rides or picking up hitch-hikers.:rofl:

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2012/1/4/42201/Immigration-Drivers-carrying-illegal-migrants-risk-jail-loss-of-vehicle

JD426
01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
So wait, we may have to SHOW ID, like a passport to Ride on a freaking BUS to like Santiago in the future ? Even though thats not a real problem for visitors like me, thats just Crazy.. I go to the DR to feel "free" again not to have my documents checked like Im back in Communist Europe or fucking Nazi Germany.. Fuck them, if they do this.

Sidney
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Looks like the authorities may be getting serious. Guess we should starting checking documents before giving rides or picking up hitch-hikers.:rofl:

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2012/1/4/42201/Immigration-Drivers-carrying-illegal-migrants-risk-jail-loss-of-vehicle
Will this prevent Robert123456, from receiving any more 300 pesos bbbj's? What a bummer!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

uncle ruckus
01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
So wait, we may have to SHOW ID, like a passport to Ride on a freaking BUS to like Santiago in the future ? Even though thats not a real problem for visitors like me, thats just Crazy.. I go to the DR to feel "free" again not to have my documents checked like Im back in Communist Europe or fucking Nazi Germany.. Fuck them, if they do this.

Did you forget how lazy Dominican police officers are? Like Weyland said, this is going to be targeted at Haitians. This gives PN the legal rationale to pull over a car full of Haitians and ask them for documents. Trust me, if it's a car full of white Americans, no one is going to give a shit. A car full of African Americans might get pulled over, but they'll be let go as soon as they tell the PN that they're tourists.

And yes this is incredibly racist and an injustice. I disagree with profiling in the US and in the DR. Just like a lot of the construction and McMansion growth in the US was on the back of Mexican laborers, the construction and even infrastructure growth in the DR was on the back of Haitians. I can't remember the last time I saw a Dominican actually doing real construction work in Santiago.