PDA

View Full Version : Bus and Taxi question

Longstroke
12-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Me and my wing man are going to be taking the caribe tours bus from Santiago to Sosua on our trip in march, my question is how far is Playero supermarket from the bus station? and will we need a taxi to get there? Would like to stop there on the way in to stock up on snacks and water before before getting to the hotel.

princepointe
12-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Me and my wing man are going to be taking the caribe tours bus from Santiago to Sosua on our trip in march, my question is how far is Playero supermarket from the bus station? and will we need a taxi to get there? Would like to stop there on the way in to stock up on snacks and water before before getting to the hotel.

Across the street in Sosua if I recall.

JD426
12-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Metro is across the street from Playero, its next to Texaco gas station.
Caribe is in Charamicos, and you would need a moto or taxi.
Unless the schedual of Caribe makes it your only option, I would go with Metro instead, much cleaner buses, and the AC kicks ass.

hugrad95a
12-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Metro bus is at the corner across from Don Antonio's and across from the Texaco station. Caribe is futher out in Charimicos, you do need a moto or a taxi. Taxi should be no more than 200 or so peso.

dukes1963
12-31-2011, 06:57 AM
Yes just took taxi last week from Caribe in Charimicos to Terra Linda 200 pesos

praguealchemist
12-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes just took taxi last week from Caribe in Charimicos to Terra Linda 200 pesos

You also have the option of Publico and guagua to Sosua Playero. Approximately 1/10 of the price of taxi. The taxi prices are ridiculous. A taxi driver outside la Sirena in Puerto Plata wanted 800 pesos to Sosua. I walked about five minutes and caught a publico for 50 pesos. I consider the taxi operations on the North Coast a total rip off and out of principal for their outrageous pricing would rather walk miles than take one. To each his own and as long as your happy with your choice knowing what is out there, enjoy. Bottom line is the taxis try to take advantage of tourists. The locals in general will take a guagua and publico or motoconcho for their transportation needs.

hugrad95a
12-31-2011, 12:01 PM
You also have the option of Publico and guagua to Sosua Playero. Approximately 1/10 of the price of taxi. The taxi prices are ridiculous. A taxi driver outside la Sirena in Puerto Plata wanted 800 pesos to Sosua. I walked about five minutes and caught a publico for 50 pesos. I consider the taxi operations on the North Coast a total rip off and out of principal for their outrageous pricing would rather walk miles than take one. To each his own and as long as your happy with your choice knowing what is out there, enjoy. Bottom line is the taxis try to take advantage of tourists. The locals in general will take a guagua and publico or motoconcho for their transportation needs.

True but when you have luggage it easier to take a cab if there are two people you can split the cab and its 100 pesos a piece.

Dave Diaz
12-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Metro is across the street from Playero, its next to Texaco gas station.
Caribe is in Charamicos, and you would need a moto or taxi.
Unless the schedual of Caribe makes it your only option, I would go with Metro instead, much cleaner buses, and the AC kicks ass.

Plus metro is going to leave you at the texaco so you won't need a taxi from charamicos to sosua. That with the cleaner buses and the kick ass ac.

I always figured caribe tour and metro....what's the difference. But I see now metro has more benefits than caribe for someone headed to sosua. Goood points jd

Longstroke
12-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Plus metro is going to leave you at the texaco so you won't need a taxi from charamicos to sosua. That with the cleaner buses and the kick ass ac.

I always figured caribe tour and metro....what's the difference. But I see now metro has more benefits than caribe for someone headed to sosua. Goood points jd
I think it settled then, will be taking the Metro from Santiago, just will need a taxi from the airport to the bus station.

weyland
12-31-2011, 06:26 PM
I think it settled then, will be taking the Metro from Santiago ...
Not necessarily. Depends what time you get into Santiago. There are some big gaps in the Metro timetable but Caribe run at intervals all through the day. But if it only means a 30/40 minutes extra wait then better to wait for the next Metro.

JD426
12-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Theres that , but then theres also the fact that Caribe, because they are only slightly cheaper , Sells OUT much faster (dominican are even more Frugal than Weyland) . So eventhough Metro may be every TWO hours departure to Sosau, there will probably still be a tickets available, even if the bus leaves in say 20 minutes. But it depends. Classier Dominicans will splurge and ride Metro, so either one could be sold out.
Theres a bunch of threads on here of Caribe Vs Metro.. The good thing, they are literally on the same street only like 100 yards apart, so you got options.
Just pop your head into Metro first, and if the schedual dont work for you, THEN walk down that hill to Caribe which will have one leaving like every hour. Just make sure you buy your ticket immediately.

Longstroke
01-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Not necessarily. Depends what time you get into Santiago. There are some big gaps in the Metro timetable but Caribe run at intervals all through the day. But if it only means a 30/40 minutes extra wait then better to wait for the next Metro.
Flight lands at 2:57pm, should be able to get to Sosua before the action begins for the night.