PDA

View Full Version : Vargas and Mejia still at it

NewsWhore
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
PRD presidential candidate Hipolito Mejia and PRD party president Miguel Vargas Maldonado continue to air their differences through the media. The two party leaders have yet to align their efforts for a better chance at winning the 20 May 2012 presidential election.

Following on from yesterday's DR1 news, where Hipolito Mejia stated on the 1+1 TV show on Channel 2 TeleAntillas that he had been waiting for Miguel Vargas to join his campaign for the last 10 months, Miguel Vargas issued a press release in response to Mejia's comments.

After saying how regrettable it was for him to have to make corrections, Vargas Maldonado said that he would be satisfied when God and history judged his more than 35 years in the party and his services to the country. He said that from his positions he has always delivered support, both political and economical, to all the candidates.

Vargas pointed out that he had sent the last communication on 19th September delivered by the PRD General Secretary, Orlando Jorge Mera. The letter stated that he was ready to meet as soon as Hipolito Mejia considered the time to be right. He continued, "Since that time, almost four months has passed, during which time, fellow party member Mejia has continued to tell the press that he will meet with me each time he returns from his next foreign visit, whilst at the same time saying in public that he attaches no importance to meeting with me, that I am not a member of his campaign team and he finishes by saying our relationship is fine, him there, me here, but he has never responded to my letter".

He said that the reality has been, "while leaders of his campaign team have taken every opportunity, via third parties, to slander myself, my colleagues and my family, all of which I have endured whilst saying nothing so as not to prejudice the party's presidential campaign. I have had to endure this disrespect to myself and my family."

When interviewed on Teleantillas, Mejia stated that he had not received a single cent of the resources allocated to the party by the Central Electoral Board (JCE) for financing the campaign. Vargas responded in his press release that on May 8 last year another RD$4 million were handed over to Mejia's campaign team. Vargas then reiterated that he would continue in his role as president of the party, always conducting himself with respect and prudence, and at a level that the people expect from their leaders, conscious that everyone would be judged by their behavior.

Vargas Maldonado made the point that despite documenting what he deems were serious irregularities in the PRD primaries, he preferred to sacrifice himself before dividing the party and for that reason declined and presided the assembly where Mejia was named the PRD presidential candidate, calling for party unity and integration, as reported in Hoy.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#7)