PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for flight out of JFK?

rahsta
01-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I was going to book a filight from jfk to pop, but they wanted $780. It was a straight through, both ways. From 2/8/12 to 2/12/12. That was too much for me.

Dave Diaz
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I was going to book a filight from jfk to pop, but they wanted $780. It was a straight through, both ways. From 2/8/12 to 2/12/12. That was too much for me.

You have to search around. Depends on the airline and time you book. There are times special deals and rates come out. Once one airline lowers prices the others try to match, for the most part.

I haven't gone through pop in a while because it is the more expensive route but closest to sosua.

Price usually goes anywhere from 400 to 550??? If you see any higher than that after taxes id say wait until a deal appears.

Jetblue had flights to pop on sale a week or two ago for select days. They were 149 each way (or so the ad said) so that's a total of 430 rt after taxes. Goodluck finding your flights.

tgunz
01-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Delta still has flights to sti for 366$ well worth the inconvience for those type of savings

deezl
01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
If you're not at all flexible on dates then you're pretty much stuck with whatever price you get

If you can leave a day earlier and return a day earlier (2/7-2/11) then the JetBlue price drops to $471

rahsta
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
If you're not at all flexible on dates then you're pretty much stuck with whatever price you get

If you can leave a day earlier and return a day earlier (2/7-2/11) then the JetBlue price drops to $471

Thanks Deezl,

That price looks good. I will check it out. I just hope jetblue dont have any crazy layover time. The most I can deal with is 2 hours.

rahsta
01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Trying to check our Sosua. I have not been since 09.

No Worries
01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Just booked my Feb trip 10 minutes ago, but I booked to Santiago instead of POP! Saved myself $390 motherfucking dollars!!! The prices into POP were up around 800 dollars, fok dat chit!!! That extra 400 bucks means alot more fun for me in Sosua, I might even be able to afford a session with Hennessy now! :rofl:

el toro
01-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm already booked through EWR, but checked JetBlue for March trip for a friend and the fares just went up from $149-$165 to about $230 or so just for one-way pre-tax.

$400-$450 is about the average round-trip total when I go in September and March.

BrooklynBeas
01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I paid $469 for my round trip ticket, JFK-POP, Jet Blue from Jan20-feb1st...

That includes all taxes and fees... I checked a few dates around Feb1st for my return, and they were anywhere from 169 to 300... Just have to find the best days to fly...

deezl
01-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks Deezl,

That price looks good. I will check it out. I just hope jetblue dont have any crazy layover time. The most I can deal with is 2 hours.

no layovers, they're all direct flights from JFK-POP

lateforwork
01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
if your using jetblue, keep monitoring the prices after you book, jet blue will give you credit if the price of your flight goes down

JD426
01-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Right now the best deals are on Delta, American and Jet Blue to STI (Santiago)
At $355- $379 right on through august.
Delta seems to have started this little price war, then American Matched it, and now JET BLUE matched the prices as well.
I was also see those high prices to POP, up to $860. so at that price diff, its definitely worth taking a BUS from Santiago to Sosua. These are NOT those crazy 2 am flights either, they are all early AM flights arriving at like 1030 to noon. So its pretty much a no brainer, IMO.

princepointe
01-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Agree with what everyone has said. I'm flying into ST after the POP prices were ridiculous coming from here. About a year ago it was about 650 to POP. Now over 800.

blazaveli
01-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Depends on when you book. If you book early enough you can get a deal for at least $300 less than that price and sometimes $400 less. Trying to get a deal this close to those dates is almost going to garauntee you $600+.

The most I've ever spent on a flight from JFK to POP was about $540 and that was only once. Other wise I usually booked 2+ months in advance and get it for around $395 ~ $490.

Best bet is to sign yourself up for price alert with Jetblue & Pricelin. Their price alerts for that route will notify you via emails when there is one day specials, price drops or specials for that route. Or subscribe to this thread: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?36215-01-2007-JET-BLUE-TO-PUERTO-PLATA-Current-Sales/page26&highlight=jetblue

hioctane
01-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Use Kayak... Mongers best resource! :corky:

POP is mostly a AI tourist town.. It's considerably more expensive!

jimrock187
11-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Here is my theory.. you guys might think i'm crazy... I think Jetblue is tracking where mongers go and are playing around with the airfare.. back then Sosua used to be $300-350. Now its like $500+.

Then they started going to Costa Rica, Aruba, They just started Cartegena... whats next MDE??

SeaWeed
11-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Here is my theory.. you guys might think i'm crazy... I think Jetblue is tracking where mongers go and are playing around with the airfare.. back then Sosua used to be $300-350. Now its like $500+.

Then they started going to Costa Rica, Aruba, They just started Cartegena... whats next MDE??
mongers are a drop in the bucket and we do not even make the equation in the vast majority of people that travel.........
even as much as we think we are a large group....we aren't.....no reason for anyone to track us....probably good to keep it that way

steviewonder
11-07-2012, 09:17 PM

These guys http://www.aerodom.com/app/do/frontpage.aspx and the DR Govt. are responsible for what is happening in POP as far as rates are concern. Does anyone here think that this group would tax Punta Cana extra for arrival and departure fees:eek: And by the way, Santiago is next as far as increase fees starting Jan. 1st 2013:icontd:

Mr QBX
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
It depends when you book your flight. If you book a month in advanced you'll get a low cost cause there are lots of seats available. The longer you wait the higher the price goes cause the seats are being filled. I got an alert set up with jet blue that lets me know when the price drops that way I can get a great price for my trip before I book it.

Dave Diaz
11-08-2012, 07:44 PM

mongers are a drop in the bucket and we do not even make the equation in the vast majority of people that travel.........
even as much as we think we are a large group....we aren't.....no reason for anyone to track us....probably good to keep it that way

Agree with Seaweed we are just a small minority of travelers, especially from NYC area. NYC is FULLLLL of Dominicans who travel to DR (some more than others) and i'm pretty sure them opening up to Cartegena has more to do with the Colombian population in NYC than it does the mongers going.

That said I think the price going up for POP airfares has more to do with the amount of flights going in and out everyday. I think Jetblue only has 1 a day. United limited its service (correct me if i'm wrong guys) and AA...well they just do all types of wacky stuff with their prices but you can catch them on a good day sometimes. They also do connections in Miami before going to POP on a good number of their flights.

Many Dominicans really travel to Santiago and Santo Domingo more so than they do Puerto Plata. For Santiago and SDQ you see much better options in terms in pricing, schedule and direct flights.

you're best bet I think is to be flexible with your airports (NYC has LGA, JFK and you can even get to EWR easy on the airtrain and the train at Penn Station in manhattan that goes to NJ) plus you can play with SDQ, STI and POP airports. SDQ would be a little out of the way but if you have the time and can manage the trip it could be well worth it in terms of price and a venture out of Sosua for a few days while you get up there.

NYC is very lucky to have the 3 airport options and a great mixed population. I wish Jetblue would dare to add MDE to its routes. I'd be back and earning my True blue points in a heartbeat if that ever happened.

TC
11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
It depends when you book your flight. If you book a month in advanced you'll get a low cost cause there are lots of seats available. The longer you wait the higher the price goes cause the seats are being filled. I got an alert set up with jet blue that lets me know when the price drops that way I can get a great price for my trip before I book it.

Prices don't always rise the longer you wait. If they did, you would always get a cheap price by buying 10 months in advance, and it doesn't always work.

Jet Blue (and probably others) will cut you a break if the price drops after you book (not counting promotional fares). All you have to do is buy the fare, and if you see it later for less, call them up, and they will give you the difference in travel credits, which can be used up to 1 year later for any flight booked on their site. Even better is that you can keep calling and getting new credits if the price keeps dropping after you buy. Better still is that they conside each leg separately, so if one leg goes up by $100 and one leg goes down by $100 (resulting in the same total), they will still give you the credit on the leg that went down, without considering the other one.

I believe other airlines do this, but I don't think it's all of them. The only way you lose is if you buy the flight at a high price and it never goes down (or you never call while it's down).

deezl
11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
That said I think the price going up for POP airfares has more to do with the amount of flights going in and out everyday. I think Jetblue only has 1 a day. United limited its service (correct me if i'm wrong guys) and AA...well they just do all types of wacky stuff with their prices but you can catch them on a good day sometimes. They also do connections in Miami before going to POP on a good number of their flights.

Many Dominicans really travel to Santiago and Santo Domingo more so than they do Puerto Plata. For Santiago and SDQ you see much better options in terms in pricing, schedule and direct flights.

you're best bet I think is to be flexible with your airports (NYC has LGA, JFK and you can even get to EWR easy on the airtrain and the train at Penn Station in manhattan that goes to NJ) plus you can play with SDQ, STI and POP airports. SDQ would be a little out of the way but if you have the time and can manage the trip it could be well worth it in terms of price and a venture out of Sosua for a few days while you get up there.

The reason flight prices to POP are up is because tourism to POP is way, way down, something like 40% over the last few years (when you could get a $350 fare just about any day of the week back in 2010). Flight prices to SDQ & STI will always be pretty decent because of the amount of Dominicans flying back and forth between NYC and the two biggest cities in the country, the airlines don't really depend on tourists for those flights like they do to POP which is a pretty small city in comparison.

Hanzo
11-08-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm probably not as well informed as others on the subject off airfare as I've only been paying for my own airfare for 3 years, but I do have 10 trips, with an 11th coming up in those 3 years so I've had my fair share of experience stalking prices.

From my personal experience it seems that how far in advance, and duration of stay affect airfare more than anything else. In the last 3 years I've done 3 December trips, usually getting in 2 or 3 days before Christmas, and leaving a month after. I've bought my ticket a week before my flight twice, and have seen it be as cheap as $500 dollars for a month long stay, and on the reserve I've bought the ticket for a December trip a couple days before Christmas, and instead of it being a month long trip, have it be a 2 week trip, and have had to pay as much as $800 dollars, for the same exact departure date, just a different time duration. Because I can take 3 month trips I've paid below $400 dollars on all my summer vacation trips. I have experience booking trips for June as far back as November, to booking trips for June the last week of May, and have always had the prices in the same neighborhood, it's always been under $400 dollars. I personally attribute this to the duration of my trips, as when I've taken shorter trips it's cost me an arm, and a leg.

While booking in advance does have its advantages (I just watched as the trip I booked for 8 days in Jan' go from mid to high 400's to nearly 600 in the span of two months) Duration is also a key factor, but obviously not many mongers can play around with the duration of their trip to see what best suits them as no one seems to be taking 2 month trips every 3 or 4 months.