PDA

View Full Version : Why we suggest not driving! source is DR1

Sidney
01-26-2012, 01:54 PM
''The DR roads are least safe of 28 countries
Deputy Public Works Minister Mario Holguin and president of the Dignity Network Foundation (Fundacion Red de la Dignidad) wants to raise awareness among citizens and government of the importance of improving road safety in the Dominican Republic. Yesterday he launched two books with his findings on regional highway safety. One of the books focuses on highway safety and government policy and the other reveals catastrophic indicators for highway safety. (Seguridad Viaria: Nueva Politica de Estado en el Hemisferio Occidental" and "Indicadores Catastroficos").

In the findings of the comparative study of risk of death on highways in 28 countries in the Western Hemisphere carried out for the books, the DR is tops on the list of most risk-prone. The fatality rate on the nation's highways is 36.4 per 100,000 inhabitants, according to the study on Accident Rates on Highways in the Western Hemisphere chart. The study shows that Cuba, Costa Rica and Chile are the safest and are the only ones with fatality rates between 4.9 and 8.8 per 100,000 inhabitants, and are considered together with Puerto Rico and Canada to be the safest places to drive in the region.''

yayow
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the info it is very important, but I love driving in the DR, you get to see some really great countryside (love driving on a highway that borders the sea, some real beautiful scenery), and have the ability to stop and hang in places that many don't have the ability to check out. Having said that, you have to be careful, many don't follow the rules of the road, and the infrastructure isn't the best for sure, but it is slowly getting better.

DCIronman
01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info it is very important, but I love driving in the DR, you get to see some really great countryside (love driving on a highway that borders the sea, some real beautiful scenery), and have the ability to stop and hang in places that many don't have the ability to check out. Having said that, you have to be careful, many don't follow the rules of the road, and the infrastructure isn't the best for sure, but it is slowly getting better.

Ditto! I also love driving in the DR. Have been doing it for 7 out of the 10 years I've been vacationing there. And yes, dominicans drive crazy as a rule. I've had a few scrapes and fender benders. But nothing that the rental insurance doesn't cover. That's why I buy it.

Some probably shouldn't drive in the DR. But those are probably the same folks that really shouldn't drive anywhere in the world. Or ever leave the tourist areas for that matter. I certainly won't stop driving there because of some government study.

el toro
01-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Ditto! I also love driving in the DR. Have been doing it for 7 out of the 10 years I've been vacationing there. And yes, dominicans drive crazy as a rule. I've had a few scrapes and fender benders. But nothing that the rental insurance doesn't cover. That's why I buy it.

Some probably shouldn't drive in the DR. But those are probably the same folks that really shouldn't drive anywhere in the world. Or ever leave the tourist areas for that matter. I certainly won't stop driving there because of some government study.

I'm an aggressive driver and have no problem driving in NYC, Newark, DC and many other US cities and some other countries. But I'm one of those that realize that I shouldn't be driving in DR after doing so on my first trip. However, I have no fear about venturing down the less traveled path. Guys like you that live there and visit frequently have figured it out, but it's certainly not for the faint at heart. To me they don't drive aggressively in DR like in NY--in NY people know that they can get hit and respect big vehicles (sometimes). Whereas in DR to me it's more like a passive-aggressive driving style like they'll cut you off and then be slow about it cuz they don't care if they get hit or fucked up by a big truck.

steviewonder
01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Guys like you that live there have figured it out, but it's certainly not for the faint at heart.

It's easy to learn the rules here, however there's just none that you have to apply:eek:

mikelodge
01-26-2012, 09:57 PM

Totally agree but consider the source of the post a crusty negative ass old whore monger who is down on everything .:wink: Car=Freedom say it slowly and repeat 8 times then bow. :rofl:

mikelodge
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM

Exactly same as some people shouldn't go anywhere alone because they would be lost trying to be a grown up on their own. I think some call it traveling with Road Dawgs.. :rofl: Friends are great but it doesn't mean you have to share a room with them LOL. some I have even heard share a bed now that is some funny shit.

questner
01-26-2012, 11:12 PM
How to rent a vehicle cheaper? Say I was looking for a jipeta for 2 days. A quote from the airport with insurance and taxes gets to $120 per day. At the same time when I ask how much will cost me to rent a vehicle, everyone answers $40-$45. Where is the catch? What am I missing?

mikelodge
01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
How to rent a vehicle cheaper? Say I was looking for a jipeta for 2 days. A quote from the airport with insurance and taxes gets to $120 per day. At the same time when I ask how much will cost me to rent a vehicle, everyone answers $40-$45. Where is the catch? What am I missing?

Good Question and there are not necessarily simple answers unless of course you were to be staying at Residence D'Piero then you could rent a car for 1000 Pesos per day Total of all taxes, insurance and bull shit. Now keep in mind that he only has one to rent but he has access to many more through a friend who rents them (a German Guy) who you won't have to meet or deal with in anyway. Piero will arrange it all and you only deal with him.

Now that wasn't a plug since you asked but to further answer your question there are SEVERAL guys including the German guy I met (Can't remember his name) but there is one next to Plan B and guys like Robert 234567908763456790765454 probably know of several in Sosua that rent cars for simple rates without the Bull Shit. You should not have to pay more than about 1000 pesos which is about $26-$27 per day total.

If you are renting for a week or so you might want to stop by and ask Piero to refer you to his German contact who owns some rental places but as an owner normally doesn't deal with people but will just ask.

My 2 cents for the night :wink:

Sidney
01-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Try Expedia, Travelocity, and Payless. AVOID Eoropcar and Avis!

princepointe
01-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Suggest not to drive but suggest to fuck third world impoverished prostitutes. Ohhhh I.S.O.C

uncle ruckus
01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
One thing to remember about these traffic statistics is that DR has a HUGE amount of motorcycle use, and that those motorcycles account for most traffic fatalities. If you take out the stats that involve motorcycles, I'm sure you'd find that the statistics aren't all that different than anywhere else. IMO, if you're driving a car, it's not any safer or less safe than driving in Manhattan or any other densely populated place.

yayow
01-27-2012, 12:51 PM
One thing to remember about these traffic statistics is that DR has a HUGE amount of motorcycle use, and that those motorcycles account for most traffic fatalities. If you take out the stats that involve motorcycles, I'm sure you'd find that the statistics aren't all that different than anywhere else. IMO, if you're driving a car, it's not any safer or less safe than driving in Manhattan or any other densely populated place.

The thing about those motorcycle accidents is they don't follow the rules of the roads either, as a matter of fact they are ten times worse when it comes to observing the rules of the roads. They are in and out of traffic in a heartbeat and at high speeds, they consistently drive down the wrong way on one way streets. Half of them don't have any lights especially rear lights, can't tell you how often and we are talking on highways, when you are driving at increased speeds, I felt fortunate to observe a motorcyclist that was right in front of me, but didn't initially observe him because it was dark and his rear lights were out. Or how many darted across a highway I was driving on, and when they are going perpendicular to the way you are travelling even if they have lights often times you can't see them. Not to mention all the shit or people they sometimes carry on those bikes, simply incredible. Surprised there aren't more fatilities involving them. I understand why they are so popular, they aren't as expensive to buy, or fix and of course the price of gasoline situation, but they are truly dangerous shouldn't really be operated at least not the way they operate them in cities, rural is fine but in cities highly dangerous.

Sidney
01-27-2012, 01:41 PM
The thing about those motorcycle accidents is they don't follow the rules of the roads either, as a matter of fact they are ten times worse when it comes to observing the rules of the roads. They are in and out of traffic in a heartbeat and at high speeds, they consistently drive down the wrong way on one way streets. Half of them don't have any lights especially rear lights, can't tell you how often and we are talking on highways, when you are driving at increased speeds, I felt fortunate to observe a motorcyclist that was right in front of me, but didn't initially observe him because it was dark and his rear lights were out. Or how many darted across a highway I was driving on, and when they are going perpendicular to the way you are travelling even if they have lights often times you can't see them. Not to mention all the shit or people they sometimes carry on those bikes, simply incredible. Surprised there aren't more fatilities involving them. I understand why they are so popular, they aren't as expensive to buy, or fix and of course the price of gasoline situation, but they are truly dangerous shouldn't really be operated at least not the way they operate them in cities, rural is fine but in cities highly dangerous. Yayow and Uncle are correct. If the worthless police forces would strictly enforce the laws on moto-conchos, the benefits would be remarkable including thousands fewer deaths and injuries to drivers and passengers, huge revenue to the government, more tourists would rent cars, tourism would grow, noise would be reduced, mas. I could go on-and-on!:smile::smile::smile:

mikelodge
01-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Yayow and Uncle are correct. If the worthless police forces would strictly enforce the laws on moto-conchos, the benefits would be remarkable including thousands fewer deaths and injuries to drivers and passengers, huge revenue to the government, more tourists would rent cars, tourism would grow, noise would be reduced, mas. I could go on-and-on!:smile::smile::smile:

That pic of Sidney near Playero is now maybe being emailed by some fans to local LE to earn brownie points with a copy of this post. Damn man that showed up on the sign in page for all to see who don't even have a log in for this site. You could be marked especially if you are not current on all your paper work there like mentioned. Run Sid run faster run since you don't drive run :rofl:

For the record many of the local police are fine human beings doing a difficult job. :iconTU:

Tonto4
01-28-2012, 04:35 AM
Never drive between towns at night. Too many drunks.

Sidney
01-28-2012, 06:56 AM
That pic of Sidney near Playero is now maybe being emailed by some fans to local LE to earn brownie points with a copy of this post. Damn man that showed up on the sign in page for all to see who don't even have a log in for this site. You could be marked especially if you are not current on all your paper work there like mentioned. Run Sid run faster run since you don't drive run :rofl:

For the record many of the local police are fine human beings doing a difficult job. :iconTU:
Stop hallucinating and go back to your tired reco's of your avearage hotel !:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

steviewonder
01-28-2012, 10:33 AM
The thing about those motorcycle accidents is they don't follow the rules of the roads either, as a matter of fact they are ten times worse when it comes to observing the rules of the roads.

I just don't understand what you're talking about:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

eldorob
01-28-2012, 11:14 AM
IMO, if you're driving a car, it's not any safer or less safe than driving in Manhattan or any other densely populated place.

There are other factors then just the physical safety of it. Noobs should not drive in the DR.

Spooning with nekid chicos anyone?

What american noob could drive away from an accident where some motoconcho guy is laying on the road? They can't, and they'll pay dearly because of it.

Kevy
01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Try Expedia, Travelocity, and Payless. AVOID Eoropcar and Avis!

stay away from Avis, I rented from them once, definitely not the same as Avis at home. The car had scratches all over it and was not well maintained.

Dr McGlovin
01-28-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a jeepeta rented for me every time I fly to DR. It is never in my name just in case something goes down. I generally pay 1,300 - 1,500 DOP por dia. You will never be able to cruise the "barrios" in a taxi. Even a crappy S.U.V., by American standards, is a huge status symbol down there. You simply can't enjoy Santiago, the way I get down, without a vehicle. Driving in NYC is very similar to driving in Dom Rep. Just act like it's New York during a blackout and Marshall Law has been declared. The major difference is the moto conchos. Those guy's are on some sort of death wish.

yayow
01-28-2012, 12:02 PM
There are other factors then just the physical safety of it. Noobs should not drive in the DR.

What american noob could drive away from an accident where some motoconcho guy is laying on the road? They can't, and they'll pay dearly because of it.

Yeah Dominicans have no problem getting involved in an accident and just driving away, they never stop! That's because most don't have insurance. Probably why insurance is so relatively cheap, they never have to pay out on a claim, cause nobody stops to exchange info.

Rubicon
01-28-2012, 02:49 PM
I've been driving in the DR (mostly the North Coast) since my 4th trip in 2005 and have never had a problem. I take the same precautions that I take elsewhere. I don't think it's any more of a problem than driving in any other place in the US that is comparably congested, so I don't see driving as being problematic.

HOWEVER, if you get in an accident, you could very well be fucked. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

greydread
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
I've been driving in the DR (mostly the North Coast) since my 4th trip in 2005 and have never had a problem. I take the same precautions that I take elsewhere. I don't think it's any more of a problem than driving in any other place in the US that is comparably congested, so I don't see driving as being problematic.

HOWEVER, if you get in an accident, you could very well be fucked. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Agreed. That's all the reason I need not to. It's one less scamming opportunity for the scammers.

dquick
01-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Agreed. That's all the reason I need not to. It's one less scamming opportunity for the scammers.

The key to driving in the DR is to buy insurance locally. If an accident does happen, everything will be the gringos fault. Even if your credit card does cover rentals in the DR (most credit card companies do not!), you will not be allowed to leave until the claims are paid. If you did buy insurance with the car, things will go allot smoother.

One other thing, the most expensive place anywhere to rent a car is the airport. Also the most convenient place to rent a car.

questner
01-28-2012, 09:46 PM

I am not worried about any kind of driving conditions. I have years of private contractor experience securing convoys in the Middle East. Enough said.

I just don't want neither to kill another suicidal civilian nor drive a cheap micro in which one has to open a back door to fuck a girl if it were a hatchback or put her leg on a mirror outside pushing a dashboard with your back.

mikelodge
01-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Stop hallucinating and go back to your tired reco's of your avearage hotel !:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You live there and you publically insult the police force when many locals including whores and non whore women and men including some in business all know about this site and undoubtably many lurk on here hmmm ok and with your picture posted that isn't real smart imho just sayin it is one thing to be negative on Sosua and every business in it and everything about it but being so public about the law there might get your old ass in some trouble. It only takes one person to have a few drinks and talk to there cousin and his cousin. Best of luck to you on your public stand against Dominican Law.

mikelodge
01-28-2012, 10:03 PM

Nice memory,,, 8 and the naked spooners was an awesome story. I bet he still lurks occasionally or is even more regular. :rofl:

Rubicon
01-29-2012, 06:47 AM
I just don't want....... to..........drive a cheap micro in which one has to open a back door to fuck a girl if it were a hatchback or put her leg on a mirror outside pushing a dashboard with your back.

:confused::confused::confused: Hmm, you rent cars to fuck chicas in? Wouldn't a ST room be cheaper? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TNT72
01-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Everyone has to remember that the moto's don't follow ANY laws. Yes, they are a huge amount of fatalities in the DR. But everyone has to remember that they also cause a lot of accidents, that injure other motorist's.

I've spent about a week trying to find a member that had dropped off the radar. I got a call from him tonight. I'm not going to say his name, or tell his story. He'll do that when he's ready. But a moto caused him to wreck his car. He has to go to rehab. Right now, he can't talk, or type correctly. It was great to hear from him, and he has the best attitude. All he kept saying was he was thankful to be alive, and I agree.

So, while we wait for his story, I'd ask that if you pray, please pray for a brother of ISOC. If you don't pray, please just hope for the best for him.

(I'd appreciate it, if a mod left this post in this thread, but also break it off into another thread. So members can wish him the best, and he know's we're thinking about him.)