PDA

View Full Version : stolen items at POP airport

Apos
02-11-2007, 10:08 AM
recently both Tropic Bob and myself had things stolen while at POP airport.

Tbob had pesos removed from his wallet and i had my camera:mad: and work cell phone removed from my bags while going thru the xray machine.

not sure of Tbob's circumstances but for me when my stuff was being examined i was distracted by the security guy once i'd gone thru the metal detector. he did a hand search of my person while my stuff was out of site and behind me.

i'd never had anything stolen like this before so i didn't even think to check. they got my camera and SD card as well as my phone. unfortunately for them both are pretty worthless as my phone does not work in the DR and my camera requires a cradle to charge and transfer pics.

if anyone has a casio Z750 digital they wish to sell at a reasonable price please PM me:lol: ...i need a new camera:rolleyes:

oh, and i was flying on Continental...claim filed :)

guttaman
02-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks Apos, This was common at SDQ airport last year. Must have rotated the employees. If anyone has the email for the Minister of Tourism please post it. If ever a problem at the airports email his office. It mat not help you but it may help to curb this shit in the future.

Jimmydr
02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Apos, This was common at SDQ airport last year. Must have rotated the employees. If anyone has the email for the Minister of Tourism please post it. If ever a problem at the airports email his office. It mat not help you but it may help to curb this shit in the future.

I also have the number for the Sosua DA, who knows the higher ups.

TropicBob
02-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Tbob had pesos removed from his wallet and i had my camera:mad: and work cell phone removed from my bags while going thru the xray machine.

not sure of Tbob's circumstances but for me when my stuff was being examined i was distracted by the security guy once i'd gone thru the metal detector. he did a hand search of my person while my stuff was out of site and behind me.

i'd never had anything stolen like this before so i didn't even think to check. they got my camera and SD card as well as my phone. unfortunately for them both are pretty worthless as my phone does not work in the DR and my camera requires a cradle to charge and transfer pics.

if anyone has a casio Z750 digital they wish to sell at a reasonable price please PM me:lol: ...i need a new camera:rolleyes:

UNBELIEVABLE! The exact same tactic happen to me last Monday - I had my wallet in my back paocket, the guard before the x-ray asked for me to put it in a bin, then sent me through the Walk-thru detector while the bin, and my wallet, went through the x-ray machine. On the other side, a female (cute) security guard motioned me to come over and she asked me some really STUPID questions....didn't even know where Florida was! I believe, they pulled out my pesos during this distraction (is there a hidden opening in the x-ray machine where the guy behind tghe machine can reach in and pull out items?)...anyway did not discover until it was too late and I was upstairs at the gate. Next time, I will put my wallet far down into my backpack or insist on a hand check without a distraction.

RSMMAN
02-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Thats why I hand them $5.00 on the way out I go they check nothing always ,some say I have nothing for them to tax . But I say why go throught the problems ,Put a $5 under your ticket stub for your bag slide it out when you hand it to them he grabs it goodby also stay on the right side near the exit door ...

SJG
02-11-2007, 10:39 AM
I always keep my wallet in my front pocket and use TSA travel locks on my checked bags and carry on. There is nothing metallic in my wallet and no need for it to go through the x-ray. I also only carry on my laptop bag. The main compartment, which only holds the laptop (which you have to take out before it goes through) is the only unlocked compartment. My cell and camera are in the accesory compartment, which is locked with a TSA lock. If I'm ever flagged for additional screening, I would end up having to unlock the compartment for them and they would go through the contents in front of me. Domestically, TSA has keys for the lock, but I'm not as worried about domestic theft. Never had an issue so far...

Beads
02-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Thats why I hand them $5.00 on the way out I go they check nothing always ,some say I have nothing for them to tax . But I say why go throught the problems ,Put a $5 under your ticket stub for your bag slide it out when you hand it to them he grabs it goodby also stay on the right side near the exit door ...

These guys mean on the way back to the states.

I never bring my wallet to the DR. I only carry my house entry key and no other keys. I keep all money in a pocket going through xray and it never leaves my pocket. I keep all my valuables in carry on. I travel with a US and a DR phone and a camera. I pull those items as I will wear both phones on my belt as boarding and exiting the airport as well as keeping ym camera out of the backpack I use for carry on.

I have had POP xray guys ask for money but never try to take anything as of yet.

Check your items thoroughly after going through the xray point.

If something is missing ask for it right there right away. If they pretend to not have it start yelling theif and let everyone else know in line they stole your shit and exactly what they took. Let them bring the police over and tell them you had the item at this point and it went through the xray and now its gone and you want it back.

If you have a camera or camera phone take their picture. Email the airline you took and file a claim. Especially if you get a picture of the guys working the xray machine to send in with your claim.

Apos
02-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Tbob,

what airline were you flying?

i flew continental

Beads
02-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Tbob,

what airline were you flying?

i flew continental

Arent the xray scanner people for all airlines in POP on outbound flights? I dont remember them being airline specific although I could be wrong.

Anyhow I fly Continental also so I will be on lookout!

Apos
02-11-2007, 11:34 AM
i think you're right...it's just the checked bags and ticket areas that are specific
Arent the xray scanner people for all airlines in POP on outbound flights? I dont remember them being airline specific although I could be wrong.

Anyhow I fly Continental also so I will be on lookout!

Beads
02-11-2007, 11:48 AM
welp then everyone is at risk! Beware of the xray machine guys! Someone should make this a sticky or something.

Apos
02-11-2007, 11:50 AM
good call!

thank jimmy:)
welp then everyone is at risk! Beware of the xray machine guys! Someone should make this a sticky or something.

Rocky
02-11-2007, 12:35 PM
We're caught between a rock and a hard place.
As long as the Dominican government remains corrupt, as it is, this shit will continue to occur.
The moment it all changes (if that ever happens) and gets cleaned up, other changes will simultaneously change as well, as the DR will just be another Bahamas, with all it's rules and regulations.
In other words, we won't have the freedom we now have, and will have no use for this place.
So the only solution (as mentioned above) is to make a sticky out of this info, make sure that all our ISOC members know how to protect themselves from getting robbed at the airports, and continue to enjoy our slice of paradise.

mikeppsych
02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
And to think I was pissed off when the baggage handlers at POP stole a bag of pistacio nuts and a bag of jelly candy from the outside zipped compartment of my suitcase when I arrived last October - that was the first time I had a problem with theft at that airport - now I will just put dirty clothes in those compartments - we all need to pay much more attention when going or coming since it is clear theft is a problem and they will steal anything!

Beads
02-11-2007, 12:48 PM
And to think I was pissed off when the baggage handlers at POP stole a bag of pistacio nuts and a bag of jelly candy from the outside zipped compartment of my suitcase when I arrived last October - that was the first time I had a problem with theft at that airport - now I will just put dirty clothes in those compartments - we all need to pay much more attention when going or coming since it is clear theft is a problem and they will steal anything!

damn they stole stuff on your way into the country too?

mikeppsych
02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
damn they stole stuff on your way into the country too?

I had multiple bags of each in outside compartments because they would not fit inside and because they were relatively cheap - I knew how many of each I had - when I unpacked I realized one of each was missing - probably thought I would not notice!

guttaman
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Actually 9 out of 10 dominicans would perfer a bag of jelly beans over a digital camera.

mikeppsych
02-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Actually 9 out of 10 dominicans would perfer a bag of jelly beans over a digital camera.

I know - that's why I had jelly candy and not jelly beans - apparently they do not know the difference!

weyland
02-11-2007, 01:58 PM
As a non-carnivore it's the pistachio nuts I would grieve over. Nuts are roughly the same price as gold nuggets in DR supermarkets.

Good idea about the dirty clothes though. An initial glimpse or sniff of my soiled Y-fronts and they won't want to rummage any deeper.

BigDave
02-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Great thread! Extremely helpful, My life is in my carry on and I never give it a second thought. I will have it locked up tight now!!

mikeppsych
02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
As a non-carnivore it's the pistachio nuts I would grieve over. Nuts are roughly the same price as gold nuggets in DR supermarkets.

Good idea about the dirty clothes though. An initial glimpse or sniff of my soiled Y-fronts and they won't want to rummage any deeper.

I grieved over them too for the same reason - I ate one bag and put the others in the cupboard - I neglected to remember that fucking Dominican ants get into everything (i.e. see previous Catastrophe in POP post) - wouldn't you know it - a month later a went for the second bag - the ants had beaten me to both it and a third bag - I debated whether to toss the bags but couldn't bring myself to do it - I put the bags in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator - I figured between the cold and the suffication the ants would die - they did but I have not had the nerve to sort through the bags and toss the half eaten nuts to salvage the uneaten ones - I am not making this shit up! - if anyone comes over soon they can see the refrigerated bag for themselves - they can also sort through the nuts if they want - I will give them some as a reward - yes, the uneaten nuts! - I am very generous!!!

MegaSquirt
02-11-2007, 08:15 PM

oh, and i was flying on Continental...claim filed :)

Keep us posted, I want to know how long you waited to get your money back, if you do get your money back. This is the same airport I will be using. :eek: :eek:

Cuba Libre
02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I always keep my wallet in my front pocket and use TSA travel locks on my checked bags and carry on. Unfortuantely for the checked luggage, TSA locks don't mean anything. Twice, they've cut off the locks (along with the zipper handles) to get in my luggage. It is good advice for the carry-on.

I also only carry on my laptop bag. The main compartment, which only holds the laptop (which you have to take out before it goes through) is the only unlocked compartment.You don't need to take the computer out of the case when leaving the DR.

Apos
02-11-2007, 08:19 PM
will do, they said 6-8 weeks???
Keep us posted, I want to know how long you waited to get your money back, if you do get your money back. This is the same airport I will be using. :eek: :eek:

Cuba Libre
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I never bring my wallet to the DR. I only carry my house entry key and no other keys. I keep all money in a pocket going through xray and it never leaves my pocket. I keep all my valuables in carry on.For some reason, a few times when I've left via POP (not the other airports), they'e asked me how much cash I have, I answer them, and they ask me to empty my pockets. I never understood why, but given this thread, it's possible they were trying to take some cash.

Cuba Libre
02-11-2007, 08:24 PM

oh, and i was flying on Continental...claim filed :)Keep us posted as to your claim. My guess is that since it happened with your carry-on, they are going to say it is not their responsiblity.

MegaSquirt
02-11-2007, 09:04 PM
will do, they said 6-8 weeks???

I hope you did put down the full amount of what you paid for.
Last year, my new luggage was busted wide open and they told me to mail in forms when I get back home. To my surprise, about a month later I received a check for the full amount of what I paid for the luggage. I still had the receipt at the time. This is why you should keep all your receipts.

Apos
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
yup...$875 CAD or about $745 USD...there is a $400USD limit per carryon bag but they were in 2 different bags:rolleyes:

we'll see
I hope you did put down the full amount of what you paid for.
Last year, my new luggage was busted wide open and they told me to mail in forms when I get back home. To my surprise, about a month later I received a check for the full amount of what I paid for the luggage. I still had the receipt at the time. This is why you should keep all your receipts.

weyland
02-13-2007, 05:22 AM
I grieved over them too for the same reason - I ate one bag and put the others in the cupboard - I neglected to remember that fucking Dominican ants get into everything (i.e. see previous Catastrophe in POP post) - wouldn't you know it - a month later a went for the second bag - the ants had beaten me to both it and a third bag - I debated whether to toss the bags but couldn't bring myself to do it - I put the bags in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator - I figured between the cold and the suffication the ants would die - they did but I have not had the nerve to sort through the bags and toss the half eaten nuts to salvage the uneaten ones - I am not making this shit up! - if anyone comes over soon they can see the refrigerated bag for themselves - they can also sort through the nuts if they want - I will give them some as a reward - yes, the uneaten nuts! - I am very generous!!!
You seem a bit obsessive over this. I am beginning to wonder if the pistachios are the only nuts associated with this thread.

SJG
02-13-2007, 08:11 AM
You seem a bit obsessive over this. I am beginning to wonder if the pistachios are the only nuts associated with this thread.

He acts like he's the only guy to loose his nuts in the DR.... sheesh.... ;) :D

leeway99
02-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I will be more cautious departing DR next week.
Thanks for the info.

Beads
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
For some reason, a few times when I've left via POP (not the other airports), they'e asked me how much cash I have, I answer them, and they ask me to empty my pockets. I never understood why, but given this thread, it's possible they were trying to take some cash.

I would just say under the amount I am allowed to have or play stupid and not to understand them. Just like here in the states when officials have to deal with people they cant communicate with it gets them frustrated and they will usually push you along. I have done this in the DR several times with beggers, police and other officials who appeared to be asking for handouts. Just pretend you dont understand them and frustrate them until they give up. Put up a communication barrier and dont let it down.

I have even found it to work well with chicas!

Hemp
02-13-2007, 10:39 AM
this is bad news...but glad it was posted, will take extra safe measures next time traveling.

thanx

Beads
02-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Expect the problems leaving the DR at POP. POP is usually an in/out process in a few minutes on arrival.

slipheed
08-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Same shit happened to me at SDQ last december. I had a camera stolen out of my bag. When I got off the plane and went to pick up my bag, it was in a huge pile of other bags. Had no clue until I reached the hotel! TSA locked bags from now on.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/71054a8ee5abb8231.jpg