PDA

View Full Version : The other Spanish Music?

Don Tomas
06-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Everyone talks about Merengue, Bachata, y Reggaeton. Has anyone ever tried driving around with the other Spanish Music? I guess it's considered Latin Pop music from the likes of Paulina Rubio, Juanes, Ricardo Arjona, etc. If you don't know the before mentioned singers, think Julio Iglesias type music.

I was told the last time I was down there that Juanes was "Numero Uno in La Rep...".

Well if you know what he looks like (non gay sounding) you can see why he would be "Numero Uno" with the ladies.

I might make a CD of the current hits and try it out.

psriches
06-27-2005, 03:32 PM
What about TIPICO? Alot of the chicas love it!!

PapiQueRico
06-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Last year i had a bunch of Cuban music with me. The chicas didn't recognise any of it, but they dug it just the same!

BrooklynBeas
06-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Last year i had a bunch of Cuban music with me. The chicas didn't recognise any of it, but they dug it just the same!

I think they dug your pesos PQR... who u tryin to fool...

(unless u fed them cheesecake while playin the music) :lol:

PapiQueRico
06-27-2005, 05:48 PM
They definately dug the pesos. Like I always say. "They love the bulge in your pants. No, not the one in front, the one on the side with the wallet!"

Reel Deal
06-27-2005, 06:43 PM
The more money I have, the more charming and handsome the winninzes think I am...

"Life is a shit sandwich: the more bread you have, the less shit you hafta eat..."

Maximus
06-27-2005, 06:50 PM
"Life is a shit sandwich: the more bread you have, the less shit you hafta eat..."

Yeah, but it still stinks! :D

Don Tomas
06-27-2005, 06:55 PM
What about TIPICO? Alot of the chicas love it!!

Tipico can be applied to almost all forms of music, but merengue in general. All it means is original/typical/etc.

vagabond
06-27-2005, 07:00 PM
I tought Tipico was the old original Dominican Merengue (before it was developed into the modern merengue we know to day) ?

will_blueprint
06-27-2005, 07:01 PM
any word on that one song i was looking for dt?

Don Tomas
06-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I tought Tipico was the old original Dominican Merengue (before it was developed into the modern merengue we know to day) ?

They still produce new Merengue Tipico, but yes Tipico can also mean "Old School". Again it is more often then not used to describe a genre of merengue but I have heard old Bachata referred to as Tipico.

Aquakate mostly does Merengue Tipico songs, but at the same time they are parody songs too!

Most merengue songs that are not considered tipico are songs that are in the grey areas of bachata (El Jeffrey) or even Salsa (Papi Sanchez) but are still predominantly merengue.

Don Tomas
06-27-2005, 07:17 PM
any word on that one song i was looking for dt?

I am dispatching to the field very shortly with an audio copy on a CD. I will ensure I do a complete inspection of any female who assists me in discovering the answer!

JD
06-28-2005, 03:05 AM
Everyone talks about Merengue, Bachata, y Reggaeton. Has anyone ever tried driving around with the other Spanish Music? I guess it's considered Latin Pop music from the likes of Paulina Rubio, Juanes, Ricardo Arjona, etc. If you don't know the before mentioned singers, think Julio Iglesias type music.

I was told the last time I was down there that Juanes was "Numero Uno in La Rep...".

Well if you know what he looks like (non gay sounding) you can see why he would be "Numero Uno" with the ladies.

I might make a CD of the current hits and try it out.

I am a big Ricardo Arjona fan. He is very easy to listen to, and at times I think of him as "Spanish" Rock, although he falls solidly in the POP category. Juanes, to me, do not hold up to repeated listening.

JD

continentalmike
06-28-2005, 03:13 AM
It doesn't matter what you're playing.. if your in tune with the music and can dance to it.. make the girls 'meuve esta culita' and you're in good.. that goes for all girls all over the world.. work it on the floor and you're in the bedroom entrance at least..

Works like a charm everytime.. of course I love to do this with thse fine Nubian, Caramel and Latin honies.. they are usually very surprised that a ''white boy" can actually dance like he can... it always gets me the opening I'm looking for..

will_blueprint
06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
umm thanks man

Don Tomas
06-28-2005, 10:11 AM
umm thanks man

What are friends for... :D

Don Tomas
06-28-2005, 10:25 AM
It doesn't matter what you're playing.. if your in tune with the music and can dance to it.. make the girls 'meuve esta culita' and you're in good.. that goes for all girls all over the world.. work it on the floor and you're in the bedroom entrance at least..

Works like a charm everytime.. of course I love to do this with thse fine Nubian, Caramel and Latin honies.. they are usually very surprised that a ''white boy" can actually dance like he can... it always gets me the opening I'm looking for..

It was never worth mentioning in our Weekends thread, but almost every Friday night for the last two months I have been going to a dance studio where they have a "party" every Friday night from 8-12. $10 to get in and all the soft drinks you want, they don't have an alcohol license. It's mostly older married couples and instructors but I never got turned down since it was just dancing. Totally relaxed enviroment, definitely not a meat market.

My skills have increased 10 fold and I know how to dance Bachata now and my Salsa is a 4 on a 1-10 scale.

will_blueprint
06-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Great work DT. They didnt teach you how to dance @ MC

BTW if all goes as planned I may have a dedication to your alma mater after my next trip

Don Tomas
06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Great work DT. They didnt teach you how to dance @ MC

Just ballet! :eek:

BTW if all goes as planned I may have a dedication to your alma mater after my next trip

I am afraid to ask what...

will_blueprint
06-28-2005, 11:06 AM
But seriously i found another Tipico song I like, I am starting to like that kinda music too.

It was gonna happen last trip but my guy apparently stole all my stuff.

vagabond
06-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I prefer bachata, like that alot, I also like some of the merengue, but I have to admit that I cant stand those noisy amateur tipico bands playing on the beach.

prtyr2
06-28-2005, 11:04 PM

They still produce new Merengue Tipico, but yes Tipico can also mean "Old School". Again it is more often then not used to describe a genre of merengue but I have heard old Bachata referred to as Tipico.

Aquakate mostly does Merengue Tipico songs, but at the same time they are parody songs too!

Most merengue songs that are not considered tipico are songs that are in the grey areas of bachata (El Jeffrey) or even Salsa (Papi Sanchez) but are still predominantly merengue.

Huh?

Tipico is old style Merengue that uses an accordian, as the main instrument and is usually quite fast. The more modern Merengues or Merengue de Orchesta ha sthe horn section etc. Jeffery is merengue and not bachata, certainly not tipico.

In santiago, rancho merengue and monte bar usually have tipico groups. Fefita La Grande is usually playing somewhere in the area and she wails on the accordian. . . .saw her at Rancho Merengue in february.

continentalmike
06-29-2005, 03:04 AM

It was never worth mentioning in our Weekends thread, but almost every Friday night for the last two months I have been going to a dance studio where they have a "party" every Friday night from 8-12. $10 to get in and all the soft drinks you want, they don't have an alcohol license. It's mostly older married couples and instructors but I never got turned down since it was just dancing. Totally relaxed enviroment, definitely not a meat market.

My skills have increased 10 fold and I know how to dance Bachata now and my Salsa is a 4 on a 1-10 scale.

This is what I am talking about ... a guy who is serious about improving his skills.. good work DT and keep it up!

Who knows, they might even say about you 'el baile mejor que nosotros' one day :D

Don Tomas
06-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Huh?

Tipico is old style Merengue that uses an accordian, as the main instrument and is usually quite fast. The more modern Merengues or Merengue de Orchesta ha sthe horn section etc. Jeffery is merengue and not bachata, certainly not tipico.

In santiago, rancho merengue and monte bar usually have tipico groups. Fefita La Grande is usually playing somewhere in the area and she wails on the accordian. . . .saw her at Rancho Merengue in february.

Huh? All Merengue bands use an accordian. Tipico or not.

Also what I meant with El Jeffrey is yes he is a merengue performer but since he uses guitars he occasionally ventures into the bachata category. But yes definitely not Tipico.

prtyr2
06-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Actually very few if any Merengue groups have accordians. watch any performances by Milly, Ruby Perez, Fernandito, Johnny Ventura, Sergio Vargas, Los Toros, Eddy Herrera, Tulile etc etc etc and none have accordian.

Yes some merengue groups add bachata style guitar but it is still merengue as the beat is still straight 4/4 Bachata and Salsa are more 6/8 etc

Also many times when a song becomes popular it will be done by both Bachata and Merengue groups. I heard a Merengue version of "Hay Hombe" the other night. There was a time when I would kill if I heard the Bachata version one more time. . . . . .LOL. . . .

Don Tomas
06-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Actually very few if any Merengue groups have accordians. watch any performances by Milly, Ruby Perez, Fernandito, Johnny Ventura, Sergio Vargas, Los Toros, Eddy Herrera, Tulile etc etc etc and none have accordian.

Yes some merengue groups add bachata style guitar but it is still merengue as the beat is still straight 4/4 Bachata and Salsa are more 6/8 etc

Also many times when a song becomes popular it will be done by both Bachata and Merengue groups. I heard a Merengue version of "Hay Hombe" the other night. There was a time when I would kill if I heard the Bachata version one more time. . . . . .LOL. . . .

I have never seen the groups mentioned before but something tells me that they probably add an accordion when needed.

By the way just for reference, Merengue is a 2/4 beat, not 4/4.

Babyboy31
08-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Sorry JImmy DR I HATE THAT SHIT. IT Makes Latin people look stupid. I know lot of Rock And Heavy Metal Concerts exist in THE DR I think most of the shows happen in Santo Domingo. There Is A Big Movement that has been around the 80s more or less Rock Espaniol plus Rock Bands Singing in Spanish have existed Many years since the 1950s from Peru,Mexico to Cuba. The Ignorant Latinos that promote Crap like Salsa its stupid. There Is Good Folkloric Music. Chile and Peru Has Some Good Folkloric Bands. A Good Site for DR Rock and Metal here is www.justmorerecords.com A Good Sight For Good Metal And Rock Music in Puerto Rico is www.tripirecords.com Here Is A Site for a Good Hard Rock band from THE DR Called JLS www.estudio828.com They Just played a Big Latin Rock Fest in WAShington DC with Spains Old Heavy Metal Band Baron Rojo. There was also I think one or two other DR Rock Bands playing there but I think they were based out of Washington DC And Maryland Area. Too Bad Too Many Gringos Come to THE DR and Can Not enjoy this good Music and keep ignorant. I Can Post More info on this in the future.

Apos
08-01-2005, 07:59 PM
perhaps you have posted enough on this topic? to want to go to a country yet hate a fundeMENTAL part of it is silly. you might want to visit washington. :D