PDA

View Full Version : Final questions

Longstroke
03-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Getting ready for my flight to the DR on Thursday morning, and have a few final questions before I'm all in. :corky: I'm flying into Santiago around 3pm in the afternoon and plan on taking the metro to Sousa.

1. about how much should I pay for a taxi from the airport to the bus station? and in Sousa from the bus station to the hotel.

2. Does the Metro run on Sunday?

3. I will be staying at Hotel De Piero, are hotels paid for at check in? or check out? and should I pay in dollars or pesos?

4. Best place to exchange money, Airport, bus station, WU?

Other than these questions I should be ready....I have studied long and hard...I've got a Plan.:iconTU:... and I hope It doesn't crumble to dust the first time a fine chica has a hand full of my dick, whispering 3000 pesos, in my ear.:lol:

TNT72
03-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Getting ready for my flight to the DR on Thursday morning, and have a few final questions before I'm all in. :corky: I'm flying into Santiago around 3pm in the afternoon and plan on taking the metro to Sousa.

1. about how much should I pay for a taxi from the airport to the bus station? and in Sousa from the bus station to the hotel.

3. I will be staying at Hotel De Piero, are hotels paid for at check in? or check out? and should I pay in dollars or pesos?

Other than these questions I should be ready....I have studied long and hard...I've got a Plan.:iconTU:... and I hope It doesn't crumble to dust the first time a fine chica has a hand full of my dick, whispering 3000 pesos, in my ear.:lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

natmatt
03-07-2012, 12:20 AM

Piero will want you to pay for the entire stay when you check in. What I always do is pay for a few days up front and then
stagger the payments. For example, if I am staying for 10 days, I will pay for 3 or 4 days in advance. I do this because if you
decide that you have to leave or the service is bad any you want to go somewhere else, then you have that option; but, if
you pay in advance, good luck getting your money back. Never exchange money at the hotel, it is a big rip-off. Piero will
want dollars when you pay. If you pay him in pesos, he is going to give you a low rate for the exchange. If you have already
told him that you will be staying X number of days, just lie to him and say that you maybe going to Puerta Plata or Santiago
for a few days, you do not know yet.

NEVER exchange your money at the airport, it is a big rip-off. If you absolutely need pesos then, you do not have a choice.
When you are taking the taxi to Piero, tell him that you want to go to western union and he will take you. They will give you
a good rate. It is normally about a dime or a nickel less than the guys on the street; but, I go to western union to avoid the
hussle of the guys in the street with the slight of hands trick and people in the street seeing how much money you have.
If you can, the ATM will give you the best rate, I always use the ATM because my bank does not charge a fee; before you
leave go to your bank and ask them about international withdrawals from ATMs and see what they say. Since my bank does
not charge fees, I transfer the money to my savings and withdraw it from savings and hold onto my cash.

WU maybe closed by the time you get to Sousa since you are flying into Santiago on Sunday and the ATMs may not have
any money because it is the weekend and a lot of the tourists take money out of the bank. So, plan ahead.

Western Union is located on the main street just as you are entering Sousa on the main street at the red light. I always
use the Popular Bank atm located across from the park near New Garden Hotel. There is always a security guard. Never
use the ATMs at night.

gdogg
03-07-2012, 12:22 AM

1. Never flown into Santiago...can't help there.

2. Yes

3. Never stayed at De Piero, but usually it's up to you. If you pay in advance and decide (for whatever reason) to move to Sosua Suites (or anywhere else) after your second day, it could get annoying. I usually pay up when I leave. Pay in dollars.

4. Of your choices, WU is far better. If you find that you HAVE to have pesos before leaving the airport, change the amount necessary to get to get where you're going. Some people change a weeks worth of dollars at the airport...don't do that. Banks, Super Super, change huts, even the change guys on the streets rates are FAR better than the airport's.

Your plan will fall apart by day two. Don't worry, it's usually a good thing. Have a great trip!!
:iconTU:

gdogg
03-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Piero will want you to pay for the entire stay when you check in. What I always do is pay for a few days up front and then
stagger the payments. For example, if I am staying for 10 days, I will pay for 3 or 4 days in advance. I do this because if you
decide that you have to leave or the service is bad any you want to go somewhere else, then you have that option; but, if
you pay in advance, good luck getting your money back. Never exchange money at the hotel, it is a big rip-off. Piero will
want dollars when you pay. If you pay him in pesos, he is going to give you a low rate for the exchange. If you have already
told him that you will be staying X number of days, just lie to him and say that you maybe going to Puerta Plata or Santiago
for a few days, you do not know yet.

HA! Answering at the same time, I see. Wow, you have to pay in advance there? longstroke, listen to this man!

TNT72
03-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Since your flying in on Sunday, that's gonna mess with you some as far as changing dollars. My suggestion would be to hit an ATM in Santiago on the way to Metro. The cab driver will take US dollars. Naptime says the taxi costs 500 pesos. So $13. He'll probably get you for $15. Or again, hit the ATM for your pesos for Sunday. Metro will be under 200 pesos.

SrSuerte
03-07-2012, 12:53 AM

It's going to take 3 days? Or are you arriving on thursday and going home on Sunday?

TNT72
03-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Nevermind, I'm tired as hell tonight. Don't know why I thought he was flying in on Sunday. Still the best bet is hit the ATM to get peso's for the taxi, bus and something to eat if you want.

Dave Diaz
03-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Best of luck on your trip!

I think gdogg and tnt gave you the best answers to your questions. Definitely try to exchange some money in santiago and try to avoid the exchange at the airport. I never really roamed in santiago and I know taking a taxi from there directly to sosua is expensive. The bus is the best bet and I'm sure getting from the airport to the bus you are sure to come across an exchange place.

:rofl: what gdogg said about the plan is so true!! Just try to remember you had some sort of mission before you got there while you are there. But no ones going to fault you for enjoying yourself! So enjoy and bring us back a tr :iconTU:

BrooklynBeas
03-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Another thing that is important tht you didn't ask, make sure you tell your bank and credit card companies that you are going to be in DR for the duration of your stay... If you have to use your card for whatever reason, it may help if there is a note on your accounts that says, this is really you and you plan on using your accounts and money... I have heard stories from many guys that their account was locked because they thought someone was scamming the system and trying to make phony charges... I usually go into my bank and tell an agent there, but calling up customer service and telling them to put a note on your account might really help! If they lock you out of your account, it could take a few days till they figure out your really the one trying to get the money... Good luck, don't take candy from strangers, and have sex with over 18 yr old chicas! I look forward to your report!

deezl
03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
If you need pesos right off the bat you don't have to use the exchange booth at the airport - there are always ATM's in airports and you'll get the current rate of exchange.

TNT72
03-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Along the lines of the ATM, there's something else to note.

If you use your card, and you hit checking to withdraw your money from, and it doesn't give it to you, try the savings button. A couple of the banks, I don't remember which ones, require you to hit the savings button to get money.

Don't worry. They still pull it from your checking. But for some reason, you have to hit the savings button.

BrooklynBeas
03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Make sure you also find out if you bank charges an international rate if you do use your card.. My bank, Chase, charges 3 percent int rate... Which doesn't sound like much, but if you change 1000 bucks, it will be 30 bucks.. You may be able to use those 800 or so pesos on something else!

jose1234
03-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Put a long sleeve shirt into bag that you carry on the bus. They turn on the air conditioning full blast and freeze everyone.

Jimmydr
03-07-2012, 07:38 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Somewhere in there, a plan was created but lost.

El-Rey
03-08-2012, 05:45 AM
Can usually is anywhere from $80-$120.. Ill tell you my lil secret. Hop a cab to metro then as the cab pulls out ask em how much to sosua.
He mite say $100. Tell em you only have $70. I havent met one yet that wouldnt do the trip for $70 or $80.

I pay Dominican prices. F dat gringo ish !! :rofl:

Dr World
03-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Can usually is anywhere from $80-$120.. Ill tell you my lil secret. Hop a cab to metro then as the cab pulls out ask em how much to sosua.
He mite say $100. Tell em you only have $70. I havent met one yet that wouldnt do the trip for $70 or $80.

I pay Dominican prices. F dat gringo ish !! :rofl:

I paid 2500 pesos to have a girl go from the Bumbar (the taxi stand across from the Texaco en sosua) to her house in Santiago.. Just talk to one of the drivers by himself-- If I would have negotiated he might have taken 2000 pesos.

Do not go to the ones that are at the corners, with the price posted, because they had the Gringo price of $100.00 on the board

Seville
03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I paid 2500 pesos to have a girl go from the Bumbar (the taxi stand across from the Texaco en sosua) to her house in Santiago.. Just talk to one of the drivers by himself-- If I would have negotiated he might have taken 2000 pesos.

Do not go to the ones that are at the corners, with the price posted, because they had the Gringo price of $100.00 on the board

I think that is bomba and it refers to the Texaco gas station. Bomba means pump in Spanish and that is what they call gas stations. I think they refer to the taxi stand as the parada (stop).

deezl
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM

if you're talking about the one on the corner of Rosen/Clisante - those aren't even the gringo prices, they're the stupid gringo prices. iirc, they want $15-20 just to go to Cabarete - the taxi stand on the other side of the highway charges 200 pesos.

Dr World
03-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I think that is bomba and it refers to the Texaco gas station. Bomba means pump in Spanish and that is what they call gas stations. I think they refer to the taxi stand as the parada (stop).

Thanks, I asked someone and that's what they said.. so I always said bumbar--

One time I had a girl meeting me, she said she was at the bumbar-- I thought she was at Rumba I spent ten minutes looking for her there.

jose1234
03-09-2012, 06:50 AM
2,500 pesos private taxi from Sosua to Santiago is not an unreasonable price. Gas is expensive, its a long ride and roads suck. A private taxi will often charge more. If you pick up a public taxi, a shared taxi packed with people, from along the main road, the price from Sosua to Cabarete may be 200 pesos or less. A guagua, minibus, will cost you 25 to 40 pesos for that same trip.

Taxi prices from the airport or bus stations are generally fixed by the taxi mafia...though you may be able to negotiate a lower price of about $5. Picking up a private taxi from the road will be much less expensive but harder to find and the condition of the taxi may be very poor.

El-Rey
03-09-2012, 07:16 AM
2,500 pesos private taxi from Sosua to Santiago is not an unreasonable price. Gas is expensive, its a long ride and roads suck. A private taxi will often charge more. If you pick up a public taxi, a shared taxi packed with people, from along the main road, the price from Sosua to Cabarete may be 200 pesos or less. A guagua, minibus, will cost you 25 to 40 pesos for that same trip.

Taxi prices from the airport or bus stations are generally fixed by the taxi mafia...though you may be able to negotiate a lower price of about $5. Picking up a private taxi from the road will be much less expensive but harder to find and the condition of the taxi may be very poor.

Yea. The Taxi Mafia hates my guts. LMAOOO. I will never pay what they ask. I had to remind one guy that there is ONE more flite coming in is he gon take my $10 or is he gon sit here and pray for rain? Got my one of many $10 cab rides from pop. My boy dominican and he still paying $20-25. smdh

One thing about DR - Everything is Negotiable.

Seville
03-09-2012, 08:59 AM

None of the taxis are using Gasoline......they are all running on propane, which is much cheaper than gasoline here.

TheNavysFault
03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
1. Never flown into Santiago...can't help there.

2. Yes

3. Never stayed at De Piero, but usually it's up to you. If you pay in advance and decide (for whatever reason) to move to Sosua Suites (or anywhere else) after your second day, it could get annoying. I usually pay up when I leave. Pay in dollars.

4. Of your choices, WU is far better. If you find that you HAVE to have pesos before leaving the airport, change the amount necessary to get to get where you're going. Some people change a weeks worth of dollars at the airport...don't do that. Banks, Super Super, change huts, even the change guys on the streets rates are FAR better than the airport's.

Your plan will fall apart by day two. Don't worry, it's usually a good thing. Have a great trip!!
:iconTU:

:iconTU: THAT IS FREAKING HILARIOUS! ALSO, GREAT ADVICE!